storm blasters graphic promo (resized).png
Screenshot 2022-01-30 at 16.29.34 (resized).png
ww complete (resized).jpg
ww panel (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2021-09-17 at 13.14.11 (resized).png
20210913_221400 (resized).jpg
3B13B7D6-A291-4845-8529-4A8E49D0C866 (resized).jpeg
926E2116-B51B-4E99-8795-9FDFBE5680BC (resized).jpeg
There are 467 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 10.
#301 3 years ago
Quoted from Pugsley:

The truck could show up when you get to 100 tolls. as a bonus of some sort for making it that far. Looks great and glad to hear the original audio. What is that thumping sound during the wait to lock music... is that your fan pulsing?

I believe that that is the sound of the triple discs spinning on the playfield.

#302 3 years ago

The van in dots really looks incredible... so many nuances of detail right off the translite! Great work!!

Only possible way I could see to enhance it, is you could have the chaser/driver sticking his arm out flicking a coin (or a bird LOL) at the booth

But really that's only a "friendly suggestion"... what you already banged out there looks awesome

#303 3 years ago

Ok so the game software and hardware is pretty stable and you now have seen videos of what this is all about so as promised i'm in a position to start taking names for interested people to be on the early adopter/beta test list. Joining in now will give you a discount on the price later on and will require you to play and report any issues or things that don't look right etc. Nothing major expected but some feedback will be useful.

The kit will include an assembled controller pcb and rgb display panel as shown on here and in my game. Extras that you will need to source yourself are a wpc wood panel with speakers and plastic and the auto launcher mechanism. These won't be included currently. A doctor who speaker panel (used or repro) will be a good choice as it has the cutouts for the 7 cellar door lamps. (I am in the early stages of creating an optional extra new whirlwind speaker display plastic to fit the wpc wood panel.)

The cost for early adopters will be £600 plus shipping. This is £100 more than the indy kit because of the extra driver board parts and hardware complexity, but i think is a very reasonable price for this type of upgrade compared to other part costs and game upgrades. (The cost will most likely increase after the testing phase is complete to.)

No cash deposit is required to be place on the order list just a commitment to want one and ability to wait in line. I wont take any money until i have something to send you. Too much hassle otherwise.

I will contact the people above who already mentioned the +1,+2,+3,+4 replies earlier to. This list will get priority over others.

Cheers.

#304 3 years ago

I’m in to beta!

—Donnie

#305 3 years ago

And FWIW, I do have a small CNC router that’s big enough to prototype the wood piece with, and a contact for a US shop that could likely do these for a very reasonable cost, too. Just need to find a Dr. Who one to duplicate from, I guess, which I don’t have.

—Donnie

#306 3 years ago

I'm down for Beta testing! I just hope the exchange rate doesn't make me regret it later (I know, being in the states with other cheap parts, I probably shouldn't complain, oops). But I do think the cost for a whole new Sys11 platform & DMD is competitive.

Will code / feature updates be easily applied via USB?

I have a Dr. Who as well, so I've got a template to source toward finished appearance. Might be fun to try to design an overlay, thinking like a storm chasing vehicle console...

#307 3 years ago
Quoted from djb_rh:

And FWIW, I do have a small CNC router that’s big enough to prototype the wood piece with, and a contact for a US shop that could likely do these for a very reasonable cost, too. Just need to find a Dr. Who one to duplicate from, I guess, which I don’t have.
—Donnie

Great, that would be very useful for everyone i think. The wood panel as we've been discussing doesn't need an extra trip across the atlantic!!

#308 3 years ago

I am so in on the beta!

I also have a CNC and cut files that I cut out my other DMD games with (to make the backbox speakers the same size). All Id have to do is add the cutouts.

What is the RGB panel mounting situation? Is it the same as a normal DMD? I feel like the DMD panel itself is going to have to be shifted up a bit compared to a normal DMD game to accomodate the other cut outs. I could start playing with something if I know how it mounts.

#309 3 years ago

I can't wait for this. Amazing work man.

#310 3 years ago

I'm definitely in as I wrote it before

#311 3 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

I am so in on the beta!
I also have a CNC and cut files that I cut out my other DMD games with (to make the backbox speakers the same size). All Id have to do is add the cutouts.
What is the RGB panel mounting situation? Is it the same as a normal DMD? I feel like the DMD panel itself is going to have to be shifted up a bit compared to a normal DMD game to accomodate the other cut outs. I could start playing with something if I know how it mounts.

There are some tricks to using color panels on say Dr. Who (and I think Addams Family) but nothing horrible. I was able to move the lamp board on my DrWho down, and the colorDMD up just a tad... easy to do and can't hardly tell anything was done. So hopefully, "worst case" here will be something similar.

#312 3 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

I am so in on the beta!

I can send you some dimensions for making additions to the wood panel file no problem. Maybe it can be shared then to. This is why I think sorting the wood panel yourselves is easier as there’s plenty of options around. There are places that sell them to I think. It’s just seven square holes underneath the dmd cutout basically. I’ll check on my template if the dmd cutout is slightly higher

The rgb led dmd panels i make fit into existing dmd mounts and are the same size as old dmds, so nothing to change here . See my pics earlier or in the indy thread to

#313 3 years ago

I’m working on getting a CNC file for the wood now and also talking to Paul at virtuapin.net about making those to sell. He already has generic WPC wood panels and even complete ones. We’re also talking about having him do a custom printed acrylic panel for the front with licensed artwork for the lamp spots, though this part seems like it’s going to be on the expensive side. He’s thinking he could do the acrylic panel for a tad under a hundred bucks if we can get 20 or more orders, and the wood panel for about $30. He sells a fairly complete speaker panel with black acrylic and all the hardware for $130, and I think an artwork version of that would hopefully be around $230 if people wanted it that way. I think you can transfer your old hardware, though, fairly easily.

—Donnie

#314 3 years ago

Given that I’ve stuck my hand up to Beta test I would be keen on purchasing a wood panel plus any other associated bits like an acrylic artwork panel for the front etc that people are considering getting made!

#315 3 years ago

Add me to your list!

#316 3 years ago

I will share some previews of my design for a new speaker plastic later today. This will be an optional extra as mentioned above. Getting them made i will have to think about as i have a few options. For the wood panels there are many choices and having a preassembled one with all the bracket hardware may be a good idea so you can install new speakers and wiring and keep your original one intact for prosperity, or in case you want to return it to factory later. I will also share a file for cutting out a speaker panel for kit purchasers in case you want to make your own to etc.

#317 3 years ago

I would also be interested ...thanks !

#318 3 years ago

Mildly good news...the TAF speaker panel is the same as Doctor Who. I had thought it could be, but then thought in my head it would only have five holes. Turns out it has all seven (and has stars on each end of the THING). Should make getting one to template from a lot easier. I have a TAF, but it’s an HEP restored machine with a ColorDMD mounted in it and I don’t *really* want to take it apart if I don’t have to, so I’m poking around now to find a TAF one. I’m pretty sure I used to have a spare but sold it a while back as I’ve been though my stash and didn’t find one (I did, however, find a different alphanumeric game speaker panel with seven holes and a lamp board on it, though I’m not even sure what game it’s from).

Anyway, a small step closer.

—Donnie

#319 3 years ago

So as it turns out Paul at Virtuapin.net already does have confirmed good reproductions of the TAF panel, just didn’t have them listed on his site (Chris at High End Pins uses some of Paul’s work, including those panels). I’ll see about getting Paul to list them on his site, but it looks like we do have a US source for the wood panel now.

—Donnie

#320 3 years ago

Here are some pics of the artwork i've created for possible display panel plastics. I have various options for printing which i need to look into. i've created 2 different versions.

whirlwind dmd speaker panel v0.2-extra (resized).jpgwhirlwind dmd speaker panel v0.2-extra (resized).jpgwhirlwind dmd speaker panel v0.2 (resized).jpgwhirlwind dmd speaker panel v0.2 (resized).jpg

I also have a pdf file of this if anyone wants it to make a wood panel. It will be available for anyone buying a kit.

whirlwind dmd speaker panel cutout v0.2 (resized).jpgwhirlwind dmd speaker panel cutout v0.2 (resized).jpg

#321 3 years ago

All this talk of making parts is exciting. How soon do you think before you start shipping some kits out?

#322 3 years ago

Definitely add me to the list, this looks so cool.

#323 3 years ago

I'm in. Can't be a beta though. Game is in pieces waiting for me to get to restoring it.

#324 3 years ago

Paul says he’ll have wood panels listed on his site available sometime next week.

Art possibilities look good!

—Donnie

#325 3 years ago

Add to Beta list please.

#326 3 years ago

I have a Dr Who wood panel that I just took out of my game and replaced it with one from the company that makes lighted speaker panels. If someone could use it, PM me. Before it gets lost in the garage of a hoarder.

#327 3 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Add me to your list!

Me too please. Flynnyfalcon and I could possibly share shipping costs to Australia.

#328 3 years ago

Add me to the list please.

#329 3 years ago

Add me to the list please. Thanks!!

#330 3 years ago

applejuice, are you actually taking names for a list at this time?

#331 3 years ago

Hopefully a few months away. About to burn some $$$ on this stupid TZ I just bought. Otherwise this is going on ye old credit card.

Quoted from loren3233:

applejuice, are you actually taking names for a list at this time?

Yup, beta at this time. Sign up! Just PM him.

#332 3 years ago

Where can I source the auto launcher for this project?

#333 3 years ago

Add me to your list plz

#334 3 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Where can I source the auto launcher for this project?

He mentioned it was a standard stern autolauncher and williams 23-800 coil. So anywhere you can buy those. I assume its a stern autolaunch bracket for the coil as well, but we will have to wait for applejuice to confirm that.

I was looking around and this seems to be about the cheapest way of getting it. https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-6092-02 then adding on the williams coil for $10.

#335 3 years ago

What does beta mean in this application?

A friend wants to know.

#336 3 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

He mentioned it was a standard stern autolauncher and williams 23-800 coil. So anywhere you can buy those. I assume its a stern autolaunch bracket for the coil as well, but we will have to wait for applejuice to confirm that.
I was looking around and this seems to be about the cheapest way of getting it. https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-6092-02 then adding on the williams coil for $10.

Thanks for posting this information. Can anyone confirm if 515-6592-00 from Marco contains all the part items required other than Williams 23-800 coil?

Comparing part numbers at Pinball Life, I'm assuming Marco is only selling the item as pictured for 515-6526-00 ?

Screenshot_20210328-191145 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210328-191145 (resized).jpg

The kicker mech that slots into this coil and bracket assembly needs to be purchased separately. Either as one part from Pinball Life 500-6091-00

Screenshot_20210328-191703 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210328-191703 (resized).jpg

https://www.pinballlife.com/segastern-auto-plunger-arm-weld-assembly.html

or individually....

515-6526-00 arm weld
535-7697-00 autoplunger fulcrum
515-5338-00 plunger and link
266-5020-00 compression spring
545-5423-00 nyliner 1/4"

#337 3 years ago

Is there more DMD animations to come? Is there any plans to add further callouts?

#338 3 years ago

Yes, seems to be this mechanismen .. all other autoballauncher would need to remove the manual plunger and it seems that this will stay in the game.

I am prepared ....

IMG_0489 (resized).JPEGIMG_0489 (resized).JPEG
#339 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

Thanks for posting this information. Can anyone confirm if 515-6592-00 from Marco contains all the part items required other than Williams 23-800 coil?
Comparing part numbers at Pinball Life, I'm assuming Marco is only selling the item as pictured for 515-6526-00 ?
[quoted image]
The kicker mech that slots into this coil and bracket assembly needs to be purchased separately. Either as one part from Pinball Life 500-6091-00
[quoted image]
https://www.pinballlife.com/segastern-auto-plunger-arm-weld-assembly.html
or individually....
515-6526-00 arm weld
535-7697-00 autoplunger fulcrum
515-5338-00 plunger and link
266-5020-00 compression spring
545-5423-00 nyliner 1/4"

The link I posted is the entire mechanism minus the williams coil. Pinball life is way more expensive for some reason, not sure why. Usually they are cheaper by a lot compared to Marco.

#340 3 years ago

My setup is ready to go. Takes a bit of adjustment to get it all to fit...

IMG_20210328_102312 (resized).jpgIMG_20210328_102312 (resized).jpgIMG_20210328_102327 (resized).jpgIMG_20210328_102327 (resized).jpgIMG_20210328_102345 (resized).jpgIMG_20210328_102345 (resized).jpg
#341 3 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

The link I posted is the entire mechanism minus the williams coil. Pinball life is way more expensive for some reason, not sure why. Usually they are cheaper by a lot compared to Marco.

Great, thank you for clarifying BrewNinja , much appreciated.

#342 3 years ago

For the autolauncher please see these pics

38A413B0-0C73-4ED3-8B5A-28E76BB1E994 (resized).jpeg38A413B0-0C73-4ED3-8B5A-28E76BB1E994 (resized).jpeg878B446D-BE88-476D-AEAE-94B5B0380327 (resized).jpeg878B446D-BE88-476D-AEAE-94B5B0380327 (resized).jpegBC36EA2C-9E87-4C12-8B17-186E73F90CF5 (resized).jpegBC36EA2C-9E87-4C12-8B17-186E73F90CF5 (resized).jpeg31BDDEAD-28E9-442E-986C-50656F716A62 (resized).jpeg31BDDEAD-28E9-442E-986C-50656F716A62 (resized).jpeg

It is the stern part 500-6091-00

https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=500-6091-00

for the arm part

The coil bracket is just a standard williams eject /slingshot bracket and a 23-800 coil with diode, not the stern bracket.

You will want to get another shooter lane metal cover to as this needs to be trimmed to remove the prongs so that the autolauncher arm can move.

Also there will be a template included with the kit for the mounting holes of the auto launcher parts so you get it aligned perfectly. I haven’t released this yet because we aren’t shipping kits yet and I didn’t expect people to be installing them yet !

#343 3 years ago
Quoted from algum123:My setup is ready to go. Takes a bit of adjustment to get it all to fit...
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Make sure you add a diode to that coil

#344 3 years ago

The next revision of hardware board blanks are ordered and being manufactured. Should have them in a couple of weeks. Most of updates as i was mentioning before were to do with better connector positioning to reduce any cable strain, adding open slotted screw mounts at the bottom of the board for easier install, adding a dedicated dmd power connector and fixing a lamp matrix column reverse error from the first rev. I've also improved the options for mounting of the on board amp ic and added some audio ground improvements to.

2 weeks later
#345 3 years ago

Update.

Rev2 Board banks arrived today. I am in the process of assembling 1 for me to check all the updates are good. I am very happy with how the hardware pcb is now looking.

IMG_9215 (resized).JPGIMG_9215 (resized).JPGIMG_9213 (resized).JPGIMG_9213 (resized).JPG

I also want to share another idea for kits that would make things quite alot easier for me to get the first beta games out there running and allow me to concentrate more on the software side rather than the hardware assembly. The hardware design is pretty much done now.

I am wondering if some people would be interested in a self assembly pcb kit, where i supply:

2 x Blank PCB (main cpu and lcd controller)
1 x Programmed Main Board Hardware Controller
1 x Programmed LCD Hardware Controller
1 x Programmed SD game card for rPi4
1 x Mouser/Element14 BOM sheet with part order codes and notes on where to source any other parts needed.
1 x LCD mount 3d printer file access
1 x Instructions doc and notes on various assembly requirements needs etc

This would save us both alot of money (as i would not have to purchase generic parts just to bill you the same or add on the assembly costs) and so i could reduce the costs of the kit to £300 plus shipping for whoever wanted to assemble their boards themselves. Of course you need some soldering skills to do this, or maybe a friend could assemble them for you etc. It is obviously a more involved process and probably not for everyone but it would speed up the development of the testing, playing and feedback etc

If you are interested in this idea please get in touch via pm or reply here. There are 10 pcb blanks to begin with and so 9 slots available for this idea. I can get more as needed no problem (once the rev2 pcb is verified) and fully assembled pcb are still an option in the longer term.

#346 3 years ago

I'm definitely down for a DIY kit. It would feel awesome to say I managed to "build" (if not design) a complete hardware system. And yeah, I'd really wondered if you were going to build all of these yourself when you've got better things to do!

I'd like to think I'm well qualified, having troubleshot, serviced, and rebuilt now dozens of various WMS6-thru-11, BLY/Stern -35, and GTB Sys80 and 3 boards - in some cases quite extensively.

While new assembly is definitely easier than troubleshooting and rework, to spare you some possible grief, I would try to discourage people who aren't well-versed and capable. You don't want to end up needlessly chasing issues that were caused by someone's mistake, or eating warranty costs. Especially if you're also hoping for them to complete the kits to begin play testing in some specific timeframe.

In saying that I realize / admit, maybe I'm not as fully-versed as I like to think I am sometimes. BUT... I'd still be very interested in this option! You should probably clarify the support / warranty / at-your-own-risk parameters a bit, though.

#347 3 years ago

I considered getting one of the DIY kits. In a moment of clarity I realized it would probably get push to the back of the bench and I wouldn't get to it for a few months. I rather have it go to someone who can get it up and running quickly. Congratulations and good luck to the nine who get the boards.

#348 3 years ago

A DIY kit would be awesome. Putting boards together is a lot of fun, certainly for me. I hope you will always make the option available to only get a blank board.

#349 3 years ago

I'm on board.

All of the components are through hole, right?

#350 3 years ago

I'm also in for a diy kit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 467 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-software-rewrite-the-journey/page/7?hl=pinballemporium and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.