storm blasters graphic promo (resized).png
Screenshot 2022-01-30 at 16.29.34 (resized).png
ww complete (resized).jpg
ww panel (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2021-09-17 at 13.14.11 (resized).png
20210913_221400 (resized).jpg
3B13B7D6-A291-4845-8529-4A8E49D0C866 (resized).jpeg
926E2116-B51B-4E99-8795-9FDFBE5680BC (resized).jpeg
There are 467 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 10.
#101 4 years ago

Oh but that teaser absolutely says FEEL THE POWER! I can't wait!

#102 4 years ago

Looking forward to it!

#103 4 years ago

Following

#104 4 years ago

Holy crap. Whirlwind with a DMD? That would be amazing! The game always felt like it should have one. I need to fix my cnc router and get ready for it

#105 4 years ago

Can't believe ive been following this post for 5 years now. Worth the wait for sure. COLOR DMD.... TAKE MY MONEY!!!!

#106 4 years ago

I can’t wait to see what happens!

#107 4 years ago

Uh oh, looks like rain...

Screenshot 2020-01-29 16.52.15 (resized).pngScreenshot 2020-01-29 16.52.15 (resized).png

#108 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

[quoted image]

I'm trying to figure out how someone will complain about this since there's no original to compare it to.

Needs more clouds.

#109 4 years ago

super cool - really hope this happens! Any video to share?

#110 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

I'm trying to figure out how someone will complain about this since there's no original to compare it to.
Needs more clouds.

uhhhh no projection mapping?

#111 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

uhhhh no projection mapping?

You're kidding me..

I'm out.

#113 4 years ago

Will I have to bring a Shrubbery?

#114 4 years ago

Nay, for it's "NI!" Now go away before I taunt you a second time-uh.

(For a brief second I actually misread it as "Shoot Me". Please applejuice ... don't give up yet! It looks awesome!

#115 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

[quoted image]

My pants just got tight.

#116 4 years ago

Wow. Great news. Looking forward to it

#117 4 years ago

skyway toll graphic on right ramp
Screenshot 2020-02-02 21.55.09 (resized).pngScreenshot 2020-02-02 21.55.09 (resized).png

attract mode moonlight master high score graphic
Screenshot 2020-02-02 22.06.32 (resized).pngScreenshot 2020-02-02 22.06.32 (resized).png

#118 4 years ago

I hope you are saving boxes, as you are gonna need a lot of them.

#119 4 years ago

No kidding. I'll send you some boxes. Lets start shipping!!!

#120 4 years ago

I'm guessing there will be copyright issues here so...

Pinwhirl
StormChaser
Midwest Bonanza
Cellerzone
Pin Twister
MyPinStorm
PinStorm
Stormpin

#121 4 years ago

By the way, for those who don't know, the "Skyway Toll" is a legitimate reference to the Chicago Skyway, which is a high bridge on I-94, over the industrial and shipping harbor. It's a catchy name but in a way it doesn't make sense for the game as it's on the east side of the city (heading toward Gary, Indiana) instead of west / en route to Kansas and Tornado Alley.

Anyway, the graphic is awesome! When the game was made the toll booths still had the catch basins for throwing coins into them

#122 4 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

By the way, for those who don't know, the "Skyway Toll" is a legitimate reference to the Chicago Skyway, which is a high bridge on I-94, over the industrial and shipping harbor. It's a catchy name but in a way it doesn't make sense for the game as it's on the east side of the city (heading toward Gary, Indiana) instead of west / en route to Kansas and Tornado Alley.
Anyway, the graphic is awesome! When the game was made the toll booths still had the catch basins for throwing coins into them

Thanks for the info. Always wondered what ‘skyway’ was. Thought it was made up!!

I’m going to add some extra info on the graphic for the combo shots when you get 2 tolls a shot etc

#123 4 years ago

Cool deal, glad you liked the info. I grew up in Chicago so that little reference always makes me smile, even though I *hate* going over that bridge. Heading east, it looms rising from the bowels of hell... I literally had nightmares about that bridge before I ever first saw it in real life. But chasing tornadoes, sounds like fun to me!

chicago-skyway-toll-bridge-john-mcgraw (resized).jpgchicago-skyway-toll-bridge-john-mcgraw (resized).jpglittle_p1270026 (resized).jpglittle_p1270026 (resized).jpg
#124 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

skyway toll graphic on right ramp
[quoted image]
attract mode moonlight master high score graphic
[quoted image]

A little confusing.... is this from ColorDMD ?

#125 4 years ago

OK... ok... looks like something I might have to buy. Any ballpark on cost? Assuming there will be an option to run factory software? Great work so far

#126 4 years ago

Nope, go to the beginning of the thread and he explains the project

Quoted from scampcamp:

A little confusing.... is this from ColorDMD ?

#127 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

[quoted image]

Dude, you're spoiling us.

#128 4 years ago

Keep up the good work!

1 week later
#129 4 years ago

Well, this took some time to layout. New drop in system 11 controller board for whirlwind to run my code

System 11 Controller v1 layout (resized).pngSystem 11 Controller v1 layout (resized).png

#130 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Well, this took some time to layout. New drop in system 11 controller board for whirlwind to run my code
[quoted image]

So, what does this mean? Is this going to be available to purchase? Wow man, this could bring whirlwind to the next level for sure!!

#131 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

[quoted image]

Well thought through design I'm sure and I'm very curious of the end product. I see 2 USB connections on the upper board part, I guess this is for updating the code?
I don't understand the main processor part, this looks to be like a 680x family one but I don't see any PIA's. And I would guess there would be an arduino / RPI like compute thingie on the board.

For me it's time to pickup my long postponed restoration of my WW. (I play it too much to remove it from the line and start working on it).

#132 4 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

So, what does this mean? Is this going to be available to purchase? Wow man, this could bring whirlwind to the next level for sure!!

The whole purpose of this project is to make a kit for people to upgrade their games so this is my new controller board that will run everything. It’s not just a rom change!

The board will be a direct drop in replacement for the original

#133 4 years ago

Super awesome ... wish I still had my huo ww...

#134 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

The whole purpose of this project is to make a kit for people to upgrade their games so this is my new controller board that will run everything. It’s not just a rom change!

I think I love you

#135 4 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

I think I love you

you two: get a room!

#136 4 years ago

So is this new board a requirement, or an option? I was curious what challenges you were facing to add DMD support to the original platform, but figured you were adding a subcontroller for the new displays and code sequences. Wasn't sure if the entire platform had to be replaced or not.

Not questioning your ability or decision, but it's important to note that replacing the MPU alone is $300-400 for proven options, so the cost of this upgrade just spiked way up.

Just one point of advice: Rottendog's System11 replacement has been found to have various inconsistent issues with sound reproduction on certain games... you might have to pay close attention to that.

#137 4 years ago

For the skyway graphic make sure you do an animation where the storm chaser truck busts through it without paying and it breaks.... for some reason I always think that's funny

A "MOVE YOUR STORM TRUCK" mode would be funny too.

#138 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

So, are you no longer using the P-ROC? Early on, you said you were using a P-ROC plus a system 11 interface board. Does this replace both of those? What are you using for the CPU?

Very impressive work by the way. Whirlwind was the first machine that I played a lot, and I would like to own one again some day.

#139 4 years ago

I had been considering moving my ww along but now with this in the works I'm willing to hold onto it and drop some cash to upgrade it when the time comes.

#140 4 years ago

Probably similar interface board he made for the stern IJ project. This used a raspberry pi4 if I recall, this board he designed in the picture, rgb panels and a p-roc.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indiana-jones-stern-software-rewrite-port-over-the-journey/page/6

Quoted from Pinbaltz:

So, are you no longer using the P-ROC? Early on, you said you were using a P-ROC plus a system 11 interface board. Does this replace both of those? What are you using for the CPU?
Very impressive work by the way. Whirlwind was the first machine that I played a lot, and I would like to own one again some day.

#141 4 years ago

So is this new board a requirement, or an option? I was curious what challenges you were facing to add DMD support to the original platform, but figured you were adding a subcontroller for the new displays and code sequences. Wasn't sure if the entire platform had to be replaced or not.
Not questioning your ability or decision, but it's important to note that replacing the MPU alone is $300-400 for proven options, so the cost of this upgrade just spiked way up.
Just one point of advice: Rottendog's System11 replacement has been found to have various inconsistent issues with sound reproduction on certain games... you might have to pay close attention to that.

Quoted from Pinbaltz:

Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Probably similar interface board he made for the stern IJ project. This used a raspberry pi4 if I recall, this board he designed in the picture, rgb panels and a p-roc.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indiana-jones-stern-software-rewrite-port-over-the-journey/page/6

To answer a few of the qus re boards and controllers:

The new board is a replacement for the original cpu/driver board. No other boards need to be purchased (like rottendog cpu boards or p-roc boards). The only other thing you will need is my dmd display board which has its own controller on it and the new display panel that i am looking to get made. (new wood panel and new plastic front panel that will allow the dmd to be fitted - need ideas on this from plastic screen printing experts. Thought i'd contact cpr to see what they say). What i want is pretty much an exact copy of the original just without the black line in the middle of the screen area removed and the clear part adjusted for dmd sizes.

The new board is designed to have everything control wise that you need for whirlwind on it. When i first started this project many years ago, i used the p-roc board and that is described at the start. I also helped to get the p-roc board working on system 11 games as its really meant for wpc games. This lead to the use of the original display panels on games like Scotts Earthshaker Aftershock project and the further development of the driver board mark created (based around the wpc driver). The issue arrises that it is not a very neat solution as it doesnt fit without adapter plates, you need adapter cables and harnesses for the switch matrix and direct switches and you need another driver board anyway. Plus you have to have separate audio amps, cables & power supplies etc etc. So i decided to use my knowledge from other projects i have done and bring it all together for a 1 fits all complete use board.

The size of it should be around half the sys 11 original cpu/driver size. ie same length and mounts, half the height. I am using an rpi4 to run all the game code and a couple of teensy's for the dmd slave and i/o stuff. There is still alot to do here with this board. I am just sharing progress for interested people but the principle works well on my other games like indy jones.

The original pre dmd whirlwind project is still available should people want to run the alphanumeric version, and you can use a p-roc board for that. My focus has now shifted to my own board and the dmd use. The code base going forward will support the dmd additions only.

#142 4 years ago

Head for the Cellar...

Screenshot 2020-02-13 22.44.23 (resized).pngScreenshot 2020-02-13 22.44.23 (resized).png Screenshot 2020-02-13 22.44.01 (resized).pngScreenshot 2020-02-13 22.44.01 (resized).png

#143 4 years ago

Thanks for the news--really looking forward to the completed mod!

#144 4 years ago

Yes thank you for the detailed response. Now that you have a machine I hope you can get this going soon. Id love to be a guinea pig.

#145 4 years ago

That cellar looks amazing! You should "hide" a pinball machine in there somewhere. Or some other fun easter eggs

#146 4 years ago

Make 99 tolls into 99 year lease mode and the points go up big time for each toll after that No toll paid for.

Also as joke have an crash the toll thing in there. There ETC only lanes still have gates.

#147 4 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

Make 99 tolls into 99 year lease mode and the points go up big time for each toll after that No toll paid for.
Also as joke have an crash the toll thing in there. There ETC only lanes still have gates.

Agreed, but only if the Bluesmobile gets to be shown

#148 4 years ago

The plan with the cellar graphic is to have a zooming out window open from various places in the cellar scene similar to how the mode start map works on indy jones for all the cellar door awards.

#149 4 years ago

Does this mean that your board would work with any system 11?

I know that you have the older code shared, but are you interested in sharing any of the new stuff?

#150 4 years ago

For the plastic panel, you could talk to Aurich about how/where he got his shadow ones made. They are amazing! The issue might be doing an exact replica with the Williams logo's on it otherwise.

Personally, I would just want a DMD and controller if its possible. I can cnc a new panel myself, and then have some kind of panel printed (or have sticky vinyl done and attach it to plexy?).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

There are 467 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-software-rewrite-the-journey/page/3?hl=asmig and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.