By applejuice

2 years ago

Stats

• 61 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Toucanf16
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 15 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 00.05.46.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 00.06.13.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 00.06.23.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 00.04.45.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 00.04.41.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 00.04.43.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 00.04.15.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 00.04.10.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 00.04.07.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 00.03.57.png
IMG_3830.JPG
IMG_1424.jpg
IMG_1422.jpg
IMG_1213.jpg
IMG_1206.jpg

There are 61 posts in topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

Hi, As a few people know i'm working on a couple of software game rewrites. This thread is to share the progress of my Whirlwind software rewrite. I am using the p-roc board, procgame framework as before with Indiana Jones, but this time i am interfacing to the system 11 design and alphanumeric display. I wanted to do one of each (that being 1 DMD game and 1 alphanumeric)

When i started this project (about 18 months ago) Mark (snux) was working on the driver board support for system 11 games, but there wasn't really anyway for the p-roc board to drive an exsiting alphanumeric display, so i took it upon myself to build and interface board.

// Error: Image 267189 not found //IMG_1213.jpgIMG_1422.jpgIMG_1206.jpgIMG_1424.jpg

I later worked with Mark to add a type of daughter card connection to his driver board so my board could be attached and save space /hassle trying to mount it separately. Mark also amended pinmame so that with the interface board you could keep the original alphanumeric display whilst runing the emulation via p-roc board. Pretty neat.

So the software rewrite has been going pretty well and i have almost gotten the full set of original rules working. I have also added some new things to it. The project is being done in the same way as my other, as in recreate then add on to. I have spent quite abit of time trying to match exactly the flasher effects etc. With this type of game more time is spent here and less time on the display control. The alphanumeric display makes life much easier than with the dmd option.

I have written an open source score display module that can be added to p-roc games

http:/github.com/mypinballs/scoredisplay

This helps make the display even easier as it controls all the transitions etc.

The list of additions on top of the original rules so far is:

- Upper and Lower Super Jets. Independently progressed
- Expanded compass target sequences for lighting lock
- Re-light main mulitball jackpot via skyway ramp option
- Expanded Combos shots, 2 way and 3 way
- Cellar Hurry Up
- Ball Save
- Auto launcher option
- Black Knight WAR Multiball secret homage
- Moonlight Madness Mode

» YouTube video

I have some more videos over on my blog. Check out the moonlight madness mode!

http://mypinballs.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/latest-videos-for-custom-whirlwind.html

I also have a child board over on the p-roc controller here:

http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/forum/index.php?board=36.0

The source code is here:

http://github.com/mypinballs/whirlwind

#2 2 years ago

Nice video and the quick left handed ball saves never messed with the flow of play :kidding:.

#3 2 years ago

Look forward to seeing more.

#4 2 years ago

Yes I need to shoot a few new longer full game play vids now things have moved forward and the auto launcher with ball save is working

With the glass on to!

#5 2 years ago

Awesome work!

#6 2 years ago

This is friggin amazing!

#7 2 years ago

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

I got my nice Whirlwind a couple months ago.

I'm really liking Whirlwind.

#8 2 years ago

Was there a particular reason you picked Whirlwind to extend/customize?

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Was there a particular reason you picked Whirlwind to extend/customize?

I really like whirlwind as a game, and with my rewrites i tend to pick games that are my favs from the specific era i'm looking at. (indy being my dmd fav). I always wished that there was an auto launcher and ball save on whirlwind so that's what got me started on the path. I also thought there was room to expand the rules alittle with more combos, hurry ups, super jets etc and I like adding hidden modes from other games into these projects to. The bk2k alternative quick multi-ball i'm really pleased with.

1 month later
#10 2 years ago

Thanks for providing the open-source code for the game

#11 2 years ago

How about 4-20x more points for the 3-way combo? 250k is a joke

4 months later
#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Noahs_Arcade:

How about 4-20x more points for the 3-way combo? 250k is a joke

Added to the list

1 week later
#13 2 years ago

Update: Code has been progressing nicely and i did a big update back in october for the Play Expo UK event. Had some really great feedback from players. Now working on more updates, fixing bugs adding in new effects. Will try and shoot a new game play video soon to.

#14 2 years ago

SWEEEEET! I really love the moonlight madness mode!

Cant wait to see the new video!

#15 2 years ago

plugging in to see the updates

#16 2 years ago

Nice job Jim! I am definitely following to see the progress!

--Scott

#17 2 years ago

So dare i ask.... whats involved in the project? (trying to figure out if i can take on this project!)

Looks like:
PROC Driver Board $325
PROC System 11 Interface ???? (what is this?)
and a special Proc interface you built?

Im thinking why not just buy the PROC driver board and replace the alpha-numberic display with a DMD? Im not saying itll be easier, but certainly cheaper.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from lurch:

So dare i ask.... whats involved in the project? (trying to figure out if i can take on this project!)
Looks like:
PROC Driver Board $325
Im thinking why not just buy the PROC driver board and replace the alpha-numberic display with a DMD? Im not saying itll be easier, but certainly cheaper.

But then Jim would have to do all the work of creating art for the DMD - which is a huge thing to tackle.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

But then Jim would have to do all the work of creating art for the DMD - which is a huge thing to tackle.

Im willing to give it a go, looks like maybe i should be able to do the display programming on my own(?)

After some research it appears that Jims configuration would allow a DMD, but he chose to make an interface to drive the alpha-numberic display.

So the essentials are:
PROC Driver Board $325
PROC System 11 Interface board
(pricing options here: http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/forum/index.php?topic=683.msg8942#msg8942)
DMD display $170 -or- custom alpha numeric interface board (?????cost????)

#20 2 years ago

I just purchased a Whirlwind. I am so glad I found this thread today. Marked...

#21 2 years ago

Looking forward to it!

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from lurch:

SWEEEEET! I really love the moonlight madness mode!
Cant wait to see the new video!

I am not sure I understand what the moonlight madness mode does? was that the 1:20 video in the first post of the thread?

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from lurch:

So dare i ask.... whats involved in the project?

Here's a ballpark parts and cost list -
You need a p-roc: $325
Sys 11 Driver: $160 (you build) $250 (Ready to go)
Alphanumeric interface: $60
Auto launch parts: $80
PC: Free (if you've got one already) to $200 for a nice shuttle
Total: $600 to $900

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from lurch:

Looks like:
PROC Driver Board $325

This project is about recreating the whirlwind game software from scratch and then adding on to it in a similar way that i have and am doing for Indiana Jones. I wanted to tackle a rewrite project that kept the original alphanumeric display so that the rewrite was less graphic heavy. Partly because i am already doing a dmd rewrite and partly because i think late alphanumeric games are great and don't always need fancier graphics to make them better. This project also enabled Scott to start something similar with his EarthShaker rewrite, Mark with his F14 rewrite project and some others

I have been rewriting the rules over the last few years to make the game play exactly as original, but have been adding new things in to as described above like autolaunch, ball save, secret homages to other system 11 games - black knight 2000, moonlight madness modes, cellar hurry up, super jets etc etc

Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

I am not sure I understand what the moonlight madness mode does? was that the 1:20 video in the first post of the thread?

This is a special mode that starts before the main game play when you start a game close to 12am. It is usually a frantic multiball round where all switches count for a certain value and there are other shots to increase that value or score jackpots. It usually ends when only 1 ball is in play. The normal game then resumes

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Here's a ballpark parts and cost list -
You need a p-roc: $325
Sys 11 Driver: $160 (you build) $250 (Ready to go)
Alphanumeric interface: $60
Auto launch parts: $80
PC: Free (if you've got one already) to $200 for a nice shuttle
Total: $600 to $900

Thank you for providing a list!

HOLY MOLY! Im going to have to back burner this one! I need a new cabinet before i put any more money into this game.

#26 2 years ago

Between aftershock and this, gonna make me broke.
Scott danesi is still awesome

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from lurch:

HOLY MOLY! Im going to have to back burner this one! I need a new cabinet before i put any more money into this game.

The auto launcher is optional and will be configurable via settings. Ball save will also be configurable by settings and whether the auto launcher is installed

#28 2 years ago

Just one man's opinion: The autolauncher is worth the price of admission.

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Just one man's opinion: The autolauncher is worth the price of admission.

Yes, totally agree

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

This is a special mode that starts before the main game play when you start a game close to 12am. It is usually a frantic multiball round where all switches count for a certain value and there are other shots to increase that value or score jackpots. It usually ends when only 1 ball is in play. The normal game then resumes

Ok. Now I understand. That sounds very cool. What genius! I pick up my WW in the next week or so...I may have to re-invest my next pinball cash savings into this instead of another pin!

1 month later
#32 2 years ago

Update: Ironed out some trough bugs relating to ball save and the out hole kick timing. amazing what can happen in the trough when things are real. Also worked out that system 11 games with p-roc boards work best using 12v for the switch matrix feed not 5v.

#33 2 years ago

Can this be used with the new pinsound board being produced?

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Can this be used with the new pinsound board being produced?

It runs on a p-roc, so your sound will come from whatever you use to control the board, like a PC sound card (built in to the motherboard or otherwise).

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

It runs on a p-roc, so your sound will come from whatever you use to control the board, like a PC sound card (built in to the motherboard or otherwise).

And then you plug the output into a custom amp (usually a 2 channel car one). same setup as with CCC.
or you can feed the input into the existing sound board and use its amp output side.

#36 2 years ago

Curious about suggestions for a car amp and speakers, reasonably priced, for this.

1 month later
#37 2 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

Curious about suggestions for a car amp and speakers, reasonably priced, for this.

Sorry for the delay on replying here. I missed your question! You can use an amp such as this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231521746902

They are 2.1 so you can have a nice 3 speaker arrangement, though most music and sound is not recorded as stereo. It is best to use a separate 12v source though as the pins own 12v outputs aren't powerful enough to support this alongside what else its doing.

#38 2 years ago

Update: Working on the service mode now. Based on my indy one, but a major rewrite to be useful on a 16x2 alphanumeric screen. Includes coin door open mode, tests, audits and settings adjustments.

Some screen shots so far:

Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 00.03.57.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 00.04.07.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 00.04.10.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 00.04.15.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 00.04.41.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 00.04.43.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 00.04.45.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 00.05.46.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 00.06.13.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 00.06.23.png

#40 2 years ago

damn thats awesome!

#41 2 years ago

Crazy impressive work! As soon as I can convince myself to get rid of the couch WW is in!

#42 2 years ago

This is going to sell a lot of P-ROCs.

#43 2 years ago

Good luck. Seems like people are digging it so that's good. Think it was pretty perfect the way it is on it's own though.

#44 2 years ago

Some new videos of the service mode in action.

Audits
» YouTube video

Settings Adjustment
» YouTube video

Lamp Test
» YouTube video

Switch Test
» YouTube video

Early version and needs refining as some bugs in it, along with needing to sort out some of the special characters, but wanted to share to show the functionality that i've added. I think its quite a lot better than the original with much more info shown. I also have it working from the original 3 switches & the coin door switch:

I connect the direct switch cable to the proc interface as shown here:

IMG_3830.JPG

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Switch Test
» YouTube video

I like that you even labeled what the colors of the wire are, VERY NICE!

#46 2 years ago

Great alpha stuff there.

#48 2 years ago

I dig the osx dev environment.

4 months later
#49 1 year ago

Any progress on this?

#50 1 year ago

Will this Whirlwind software be made available for us owners to enjoy?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
3,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 18.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wilkes-barre, PA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 129.00
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 199.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Meph's Mods
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
There are 61 posts in topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Note: This is an old thread. The last post was made to it 267 days ago. Resurrecting old threads is not necessarily a bad thing, if you think the topic is still relevant and/or your post is beneficial to it (e.g. following up on something). In other cases, it might be better to create a new topic.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.