You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WW single bank drop target Opto Board connector harness.jpg
WW single bank drop target Opto Board connector.jpg
image.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Can anyone tell me what connector I need to fix this hack? Also where can I get it? This is on the single drop target opto board. Thank you. image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 9 years ago

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/ Looks like .156 size.

LTG : )™

#3 9 years ago

It's a 0.100 right angle male header. I just did a rebuild of connectors and new header pin. My game had the original Idc connector wires cut, a terminal strip added and pigtail wires soldered direct to the pins on the single bank drop target opto board. I can send pictures when I get to my computer of the repair.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from Chet:

It's a 0.100 right angle male header. I just did a rebuild of connectors and new header pin. My game had the original Idc connector wires cut, a terminal strip added and pigtail wires soldered direct to the pins on the single bank drop target opto board. I can send pictures when I get to my computer of the repair.

+1 for Chet he helped me with a nice hi-res photo (since his is currently on a rotisserie) I needed underneath the playfield when I was working on my whirlwind the other day.

#5 9 years ago

Here are a couple of pictures of the wiring harness and molex connector i made for the drop target opto. I installed a new right angle 5-pin 0.100 header on the opto board (from Great Plains electronics), a new molex housing and trifurcon pins and made up a new wiring harness to connect the incoming four wires. Make sure you use the correct wire colors/pins on the molex connector on the board.

Pin 1 Black/Yellow (GRD)
Pin 2 Key
Pin 3 Gray/yellow
Pin 4 White/red
Pin 5 Green/yellow

Note; I double crimped the wires on the on one side of the 4 wire molex connector. The original wires were connected to the drop target opto board using a "through" IDC.

WW single bank drop target Opto Board connector.jpgWW single bank drop target Opto Board connector.jpg

WW single bank drop target Opto Board connector harness.jpgWW single bank drop target Opto Board connector harness.jpg

#6 9 years ago

Thanks for the information and pictures, they defiantly help.

#7 9 years ago

I am having difficulty finding the connectors you listed, I checked the Great Plains website but could not find them. Do you know where the best place to order them is? Thanks

#8 9 years ago

All parts are from Great plains, by selecting off of this page on the web site, for .1" header pins and connectors, The plug for the harness are 0.093" also selected from the same page.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/categories.asp?cat=35

i will send you part numbers tonight..

#9 9 years ago

Thanks again for the help, the part numbers would be awesome.

#10 9 years ago

Molex connectors and pins I used:

Part Number 22-05-3051 Connector, 0.1" Header, 5 pin, right Angle (1 each)
Part Number 08-52-0123 Crimp contact, 0.1" (4 each) (suggest buying extra )
Part Number 22-01-2057 Connector, 0.1" Plug, 5 pin (1 each)
Part Number 03-09-1042 Connector Receptacle, 4 pin, 0.093" (1 each)
Part Number 02-09-2118 Crimp contact, 0.093" pin (4 each) (suggest buying extra)
Part Number 02-09-119 Crimp contact, 0.093" socket (4 each) (suggest buying extra)
Part Number 03-09-2042 Connector Plug, 4 pin, 0.093" (1 each)

You will need some short lengths of colored 22 gage stranded wire, I used red, green, black, and white/yellow that I had on hand. (see photo)

Recommend buying extra crimp pins, sockets, as noted above.
You will need a molex pin crimper if you don't already have one to make the wire crimps.

#11 9 years ago

Thanks for all of this, you have helped me more than I could have imagined.

#12 9 years ago

be careful when desoldering the existing 5 pin 0.1" header from the opto board. the traces are quite delicate. I would desolder the 4 wires from the header pins first, one at a time, then carefully cut the plastic off the board using small (sharp) side cutters by cutting a little away with each cut. That will make it much easier to desolder the pins from the small board. Heat each pin, one at a time from the solder side and using a small set of needle nose pliers or forceps, gently tug on the long side of the pin, the pins will usually just fall out. You will need to clear the holes of solder once the pins are removed using a solder sucker in order to install the new 5-pin header. The other option is to just replace the board. Tony Clark at Great Lakes Modular makes a replacement single bank drop target opto board for Whirlwind that is not too expensive.

#13 9 years ago

Thanks for the advice I have already ordered the new opto board. The opto was not working, which is why I thought this was a good opportunity to fix this the right way.

1 year later
#14 8 years ago

This was a big help thank you

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-single-drop-target-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.