(Topic ID: 74269)

Whirlwind Right Ramp will not stay up

By captaindorky

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Just recently acquired a whirlwind. There is a problem with the right ramp. It will not stay up in position. The coil fires to raise the ramp (it does this 5 times and then gives up).

I'm guessing I have a problem with the smaller coil (SM1-26-600-DC) that is supposed to hold it in place? I'm not certain what I should be looking for. I've removed the 'mechanism' that houses the smaller coil and I am having difficulty determining if the coil is bad. This small coil does not have a spring - I'm not certain how this is supposed to work.

Sorry for the basic questions. I've looked at the manual and done some research but I seem to be coming up empty.

#2 10 years ago

If I recall correctly, the small coil pulls the square latch Inwards to drop the ramp. It does not hold it up, rather a lip or protrusion should rest on top of the square latch plate. When the plate is retracted by the small coil, it basically falls off of a ledge and the ramp drops.

#3 10 years ago

With the game off, can you physically get the ramp to lock in the up position? If not, problem could be with the larger yellow coil, it might not be pulling far enough to lock the arm in place. Check the coil sleeve and make sure the plunger can slide freely all the way through. If that's not it, probably something wrong with the lock arm mech. It's definately not the small coil, like EE said, that's for dropping the ramp down.

Edit: Also check the switch near the yellow coil (with the bend arm). When the ramp is up, the switch should be open...but if it's misaligned or the bend arm isn't set right, it might be keeping the switch close...making the pin think the ramp isn't up. It will fire 5 times trying...then quit.

#4 10 years ago

You may also want to look at metal brackets/swivels for wear.I had a similar problem and had to diamond file the bracket a bit for smooth operation.Move it around with the power off.

#5 10 years ago

Think I got it fixed!

I took the device off of the coil and gave it a good inspection. Looked okay. Lined everything back up properly and tightened things down and now it appears to be working!! I have a feeling something was bound up in there. Just made sure everything was realigned and now it's working the way it is supposed to.

Now on to the tollway lights that don't work. Should be an easier fix.

Thanks everyone.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-right-ramp-will-not-stay-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.