image.jpg
image_4.jpg
image_3.jpg
image_2.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hi Gang,

Thought I would share my reborn WW. I bought this game in Winter 2014 100% working, but completely unpresentable, something below players condition. It had major bubbling mylar, playfield wear/raised inserts , clipped and burnt connectors, a broken ramp, a fried interconnect board, soda spill on the lock bar, and endless grime. Even so, the game had some great potential: very little rust, cabinet in good condition, translite, speaker panel, coin door, etc. I did just about everything aside from redoing the cabinet (details below)

Getting this game coincided with becoming a dad, buying my first home, and a huge increase in work responsibilities, so finding time to work on the restore was an incredible feat, usually involving many long nights. Needless to say, this was a major undertaking. I owe a lot of my ideas, techniques, and will to go on to threads by Skypilot (FH restore), swampfire (WW restore), and Vid (pop bumpers/flippers) -- to name a few -- Thank you!

Before (will post after pics shortly):image_3.jpgimage_3.jpgimage_2.jpgimage_2.jpgimage_1.jpgimage_1.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#2 8 years ago

During:

New stuff:

CPR gold playfield (from another member)
CPR plastics & protectors
Star posts
Rubbers
Flipper rebuild kit
Great Lakes interconnect board replacement
Back ramp
Rubber spacers
Drop target stickers
Spinners decals
Cliffys

Process:

Hand polished every metal piece (I'm investing in a tumbler in the future, though this polish is the bomb...) image.jpgimage.jpg

In addition to polishing the hardware, every coil got a new sleeve and wrapperimage.jpgimage.jpg

Regrained ball guidesimage.jpgimage.jpg

Washed the harness with water and simple greenimage.jpgimage.jpg

Cleaned and sanded the inside of the cabinetimage.jpgimage.jpg

Washed the boards, check out my antique dryer! image.jpgimage.jpg

image_2.jpgimage_2.jpg

#3 8 years ago

I scrapped the interconnect board (you can see the jumper wire). The IDC connector was equally scary... The harness picture is also pre-zip ties, so it was still a small mess in that photo

Getting closer. You'll notice in these shots that I desperately need a rotisserie:image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

#4 8 years ago

After Part #1 (direct comparison shots)

I can't forget I added the new spinner decals. Essential for WW. It's a very loved game and they tend to be beat to death

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#5 8 years ago

After Part #2:

I added a strategic combination of comet non ghosting cool whites and natural whites. The blues in Whirlwind go incredibly well with cool white.

(Edit: pictures on my phone were slightly better, so I swapped them)

image.jpgimage.jpg
image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg
image_2.jpgimage_2.jpg

#6 8 years ago

Nice job. I'd love to have a whirlwind one day. It looks like a lot of love sweat and maybe even some scrapes and cuts went into that swap. Should be a great pin for a couple more generations. Congrats!

#7 8 years ago

Very nice.

#8 8 years ago

I can't imagine the number of pictures taken to get the harnesses setup correctly again. Hell of a job OP. One day I will own a WW .

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

I can't imagine the number of pictures taken to get the harnesses setup correctly again. Hell of a job OP. One day I will own a WW .

Thanks guys. The amount of pics I had to take was crazy. Even more mind blowing is all the shots/angles I didn't seem to have and needed to find elsewhere. I think what makes it so difficult to take enough pics is that stopping to take photos disrupts the workflow. It's a fine line.

If anyone is wondering, I also used ziplock bags & labeling. I put the plastics themselves in the bags to keep screws and plastics together. I also washed and relabeled coils separately so I wouldn't mix them up, even though that was pretty tedious.

Here's my intimidating harness pile:image.jpgimage.jpg

Originally I intended to pull the mylar on the original playfield and try restoring the playfield to save some $$. So that's what I started doing. I spent a lot of time prepping the playfield and pulled the mylar with the freeze spray method. The playfield isn't terrible by any means, but I knew I wasn't going to be 100% happy after all the work. I wasn't sure I could do it correctly without making this a 2-year project. Here is the original playfield after pulling mylar and before going to work on the adhesive (pic is from last fall) image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Once I decided to do a CPR swap, then I couldn't stop myself from more craziness: I novus'ed the multi lane ramp, tried my hand at flame polishing the pop bumper caps, which turned out nice. I plan to recap and bullet proof the board set, perhaps adding an NVRAM in the near future, but I wanted to move on to my other projects (shopping my Shadow, finishing my Galaga and Centipede cabarets, etc). Never ending things to do

#10 8 years ago

Great work, that Noxon7 is awesome stuff...it's getting harder to find in CA and I'll buy the entire shelf if it's in stock. If you get a tumbler, it works great in that also.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-restore-cpr-swap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.