Whirlwind relay? Switch matrix? Or.....

By Chris3topher271

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hey everybody,
I'm a noob to pinball and electronic repair so here goes.

The game: Whirlwind, system 11b

So the original issue was that when certain coils would engage ("a" side of relay) the trough coil would engage, with or without a ball in the trough. Found my way to the relay test that shows the state of "c" side while switching back and forth between both sides. C side says that c-side is engaged. When it switches to a-side, it shows no information. The manual says it's supposed to say "err". Makes sense because it's displaying the state of the "c" side and if "a" is engaged "c" should show an error (because it's not engaged). That means there's some sort of crossover in the relay. (I'm talking like these are facts but please correct me if they are not). Let it rest for a little and came back to the relay test. Now when it would test the "c" side, the outhole kicker from the trough ("a" side) would engage. At some point the transistor for the outhole kicker from the trough shorted, I'm guessing from too much power going through it on the relay test as the test would hold the coil open for a period of time when it's supposed to be a quick pulse. So I replaced the shared transistor for the outhole kicker and (some c-side coil). Fire it up. They're not making the outhole kicker engage!! Woohoo! But.....nooowww there's a new problem. The 3-bank drop target coil makes the knocker knock Both are a-side of the relay. Cool test proves it's the 3-bank cool. Ok. Nutted up, replaced the relay with a spanking new one. Thinking it was crossing over there. Since the relay test isn't showing what the manual says, gotta be it right? No....no it wasn't. Like I said earlier, I'm a noob to electronics and pinball repair so I'm still learning the testing procedures and building my tool/tester selection. I haven't replaced the diode immediately after the relay or replaced the knocker diode (I replaced the outhole kicker diode earlier thinking it was that but it didn't change anything) the only thing that has really change the problem is changing a transistor. Anyone have any insight?

Hope I wasn't all over the place, lol. Any and all comments or criticism are welcomed.

Sincerely,
Some guy that has a problem with knockers

Also, I'm going to keep combing the forum and pinrepair

#2 6 years ago

Oh, I also unplugged the pin connectors for the switch matrix and test each individually. They didn't trip any others. I'm going to do a little more testing on it though.

#3 6 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-with-williams-cyclone

I'm learning to fix things as well and recently had an issue with my relay on a williams cyclone. A pinsider walked me through a bunch of steps and it's pretty well documented on the thread I posted above. Take a look and hopefully you find something. I had to replace a few things but got it working.

#4 6 years ago

Cool, thanks for the material. Originally I had though a short between wires/connections but my problem is moving around. It used to be 7 out of 8 a-side relay coils would make the outhole kicker fire. Now it's down to the 3-bank drop target coil makes the knocker coil fire. Still on the a-side but different coils. I suppose it's not crazy to think the actions of unplugging and plugging in the board could change which ones are shorting. After my initial post I decided it's probably a good idea to keep a repair log, lol.

Oh and another thing I failed to mention.....which I think is important. The original problem was that the F2A fuse was blowing (short?). I'm not around the machine or schematics now but that fuse comes after the relay. It's supposed to be 2.5a but I put a 3a in. I know it's a no-no because things down the line could blow (I swear it wasn't my idea! it was the owners and I tried to say no). What other negative things can happen with a larger than required fuse?

1 week later
#5 6 years ago

I got it.....1/4" piece of solder laying on the backside of the CPU....right on the transistor pins. Here's to overthinking

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-relay-switch-matrix-or and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.