Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by wayout440
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Playing whirlwind and it just froze playfield lights and score board but flippers, fan and music still played switched it off and back on again and played normal this has happened twice in a few weeks i have had this whirlwind for 8 years now so what might be slowly dying on it

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from gypsycat:

Playing whirlwind and it just froze playfield lights and score board but flippers, fan and music still played switched it off and back on again and played normal this has happened twice in a few weeks i have had this whirlwind for 8 years now so what might be slowly dying on it

Get a DMM/Voltmeter and check power supply voltages.
Logic power:
MPU IJ17 Pins 4,5,6 = +5.03 VDC @8.1 mV AC ripple
U26/U27 ROM Pin 1 = +4.91 VDC

#3 6 years ago

checked voltage IJ17 getting 4.39 volts on those 3 pins also my rollergames is getting around the same voltage and no issues with that game as i'm a novice my mate told me not me not to mess around with the roms voltage as it can blow things up if not done right

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from gypsycat:

checked voltage IJ17 getting 4.39 volts on those 3 pins also my rollergames is getting around the same voltage and no issues with that game as i'm a novice my mate told me not me not to mess around with the roms voltage as it can blow things up if not done right

That's too low. Usual suspects are failing capacitors (dried out electrolytic filter capacitors) or connector problems. Check at the power supply, if it is significantly higher, you likely have a wiring/connector problem. If it is close to the same voltage, your power supply needs attention.

TTL gates operate on a nominal power supply voltage of 5 volts, +/- 0.25 volts. Your lucky that Rollergames hasn't had a problem, but it could glitch on you at any time.

#5 6 years ago

checked Voltage on my Earthshaker as well 4.61 on all 3 pins and no issues but to be safe i get new caps for all 3 machine as i had them for a long time now save some trouble down the road

#6 6 years ago

High AC ripple voltage will be a dead giveaway that caps are in need - since low DC can be a number of problems. Unless you've identified failed caps by measurement, caps may or may not be the problem if you are just guessing. Of course, they are highly suspect as these games are old and caps are usually the cause. Just wanted you to know.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-randomely-freezes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.