(Topic ID: 254474)

(SOLVED) Whirlwind random yet related errors.

By tomm1963

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by tomm1963
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Picked up a Williams Whirlwind and have been bringing it back to life.

I have some random issues to deal with however they seem to be somehow related.

1) The shooter lane (Switch 59) is phantom scoring. First 130, then 130, then 4000. Repeats.

2) The center drop target (Switch 28) is seen by the CPU as hit. When you hit the top and bottom targets the full bank resets and scores even though the center target still stood. Thought it was a bad opto, but a hit on the center triggers the sound effect. So the opto is working.

3)The bottom pop bumper on the upper set (switch 51) will also trigger the left bumper (Switch 52) on the lower set. This is not a result of playfield vibration.

Now what ties these all together is when (Switch 22) the Left lock switch is engaged, all these issues resolve. They stay resolved throughout multiball even after the left lock switch is no longer engaged. But once you finish multi ball and begin the next ball the problems return.

These switches are rather random on the matrix with a few sharing common legs but not all.

Other than these issues the game plays correctly. Switch diagnostics show no stuck switches and register when switches are actuated.

CPU test good
RAM test good

The initial thought was leaky diodes but since this is all over the matrix I am leaning away from that. Thinking this is a logic issue. Bad ROM?

I appreciate any thoughts and input. Thanks

#2 4 years ago

any battery damage?

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

any battery damage?

Negative, the board is clean. Pulled the batteries and installed NVRAM first thing.

Upon deeper investigation, it seems the #3 ball through switch (Matrix Switch 13) is involved as the primary culprit. When it is engaged I have the problems, when it is in open position all good. Which explains why in ball lock situations or multibll the trouble goes away.

As I inspect the ball through swithces it is apparent that some previous owner did surgery throughout this area, I can not be sure on the wiring. Anyone with a Whirlwind could be a buddy and upload some decent pictures of the correct wiring. All the diodes in these switches are functioning.

#4 4 years ago

Quoted from pencilneck:
I took a lot of photos on my project, might find what you need there:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Tar7MyWSHoPXIImR2

You are my hero! Those pictures saved me a lot of goofing around. Thank you! As I suspected, whoever did surgery on the "ball through switches" hosed them up. I was able to put it right and solve a bunch of issues.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from tomm1963:

Now what ties these all together is when (Switch 22)

Check the diode on this switch, it maybe shorted or reversed.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Check the diode on this switch, it maybe shorted or reversed.

Thanks for the reply. It turned out as I was suspecting, previous owner miswired ball through switches. Once I got pictures of a properly wired game I was able to correct the issue. Now she plays correctly.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-random-yet-related-errors?hl=wdennie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.