Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by jhanley
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Looking at a whirlwind pin for sale. Pictures look pretty decent. This will be my first pin if I buy. Anything to look for in particular. He says the fan and everything works properly. The spinner decals are worn/faded, but the Playfield and cabinet don’t look worn otherwise. He did say the coin door is missing. Thanks in advance.

#2 6 years ago

No coin door at all? Odd, I would check back sticker and see if it is a re-import, and as far as price, I would have to say if as described I would say $2700-3000. One of the most sought after titles of that time.

#3 6 years ago

Check if ramp flap is cracked, level inserts, playfield wear outside of mylar(assuming it still has mylar). I wouldn't spend more than $2400-$2500. For reference, I sold a nice, fully shopped and LED'd one for $2500 last year.

#4 6 years ago

Open the backbox and check the boards for alkaline damage.
You can see photos of the MPU at http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#MPU_Driver_Boards
A new board is around $300.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#Repairing_Alkaline_Corrosion

If you want to be thorough, go through the test menu. Switches, solenoids, etc. I'd probably go through the sound tests and make sure all the sounds play, take a look at all of the displays for missing segments, play a couple four player games with the glass off and make sure everything on the playfield is working. Worn artwork on the playfield is difficult to fix. Look for raised inserts, and planking on the playfield. Broken/cracked ramps.

#5 6 years ago

You guys are awesome! He was at $3200. Bottom dollar is $2800(he said). I think someone would have bought it already if the price was lower. It still has the Mylar. I hate to drive 2hrs and offer $2200 and get shot down lol. I’ll try to get some more cabinet pictures and pictures of the back box boards before driving.

#6 6 years ago

In addition to the great suggestions so far:

Look closely for wear on the playfield above the spinners from the ball hitting the edge of the PF. There should be a black line in a sawtooth pattern. This is worn off on many games.

Ensure it has the topper with working fan that does not sound like it is coming apart when running (both are hard to come by and $$$ lately)

Make sure the ramp flap lift is working as it should and freely.

Flippers should be strong enough to make the ramp shots.

Don't be afraid to pass on this one. There are lots of this title out there and another is sure to come up in the coming months. $3200 and even $2800 is way too much for a game with a missing coin door and worn out parts. For $2800 you should be able to find a completely shopped, perfectly clean and complete example. I would be closer to $2000 than $3000 from the sounds of this one.

#7 6 years ago

Thanks Schwaggs. I think your right. I’ll probably pass unless he comes way down.

#8 6 years ago

Missing coin door, coin mechs or coin box? I'd hardly think it's missing the coin door.

#9 6 years ago

Don’t worry about games being a re-import... plenty of gorgeous Re-imports out there.

#10 6 years ago

Pictures please.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-price-check-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.