Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 years ago by tsj9197
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 14 years ago

I have one pop bumper on my Whirlwind that will fire over and over.
When i start a game or go into test mode the coil will start firing.
I've checked all the easy stuff like stuck switches and whatnot.
any thoughts?

#2 14 years ago

If it's not something mechanical like a broken spring letting it fall I'd unplug and replug the connectors on your driver board next. (It's almost got to be something like a bad or stuck switch though).

5 months later
#3 13 years ago

my Whirlwind started doing this again.
the upper right popbumber will fire over and over like a jackhammer when you start a game or you go into test mode.
switch tests good and it's not scoring points as it's firing.
so somehow the path that controls the coil on the cpu board must have something wrong.
the coil fires ok when you short the top of the TIP122.
any ideas what might be bad?
the TIP122 driver, the 2N4401 pre-driver, the 7402 ttl logic chip or the 6821 PIA?

#4 13 years ago

http://www.pinrepair.com/sys11/index1.htm#trans

Read the part about "Special Solenoids"

the Special solenoids have yet another switch involved. This is the scoring switch, which is part of the switch matrix (unlike the special solenoid trigger switch). So each pop bumper and slingshot have a second physical switch mounted on the playfield device. This switch closes as the coil energizes. This switch matrix switch in turns tells the CPU to score the device (but does *not* tell the CPU to fire the coil). So if there's a pop bumper or slingshot that works fine (energizes), but does not score, often it's because this secondary switch matrix switch is mis-adjusted or broken.

#5 13 years ago

I'd suspect the 6821 PIA first now. I just talked privately to someone about those today. At least try socketing and swapping them if you want before replacing. There are several on the old williams driver boards that deal with switches, lamps, solenoids. etc.

This is where a logic probe or like the old logic LED clip comes in handy we talked about in a thread a few weeks ago.

Being so intermittent don't rule out just a bad connector or connection right away. IC's usually don't go bad this way but it is an outside chance. Socket and swap them first before spending money on new ones.

#6 13 years ago

I read that bit on the pinrepair site but there isn't a second switch for these pop bumpers.
there is only one pair of wires under the playfield.
Even though the MPU schematic shows a second trigger line coming in on 1J18, that connector is N/C on the wiring to-from.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the PIA. The trigger for that coil comes from the PIA directly under the battery holder and the board does have a little acid damage.

#7 13 years ago

If even a tiny bit of acid corrosion got in that connection it could cause it to short and in this case continually fire.

#8 13 years ago

Do you have tools to probe the PIA? I have never heard about this problem before. Locked on coils, okay, but coils that keep firing repeatedly? Are you sure it's not a problem in the switch matrix, did you try to start the game with the switches connector disconnected from the cpu or interconnect board?

#9 13 years ago

well of course today it's just fine.
would this point to the PIA or the acid damage?

#10 13 years ago

With the intermittent nature I tend to lean more towards the acid damage. As a cheap repair I would cut the trace on the board and run a jumper from the connector to the PIA chip pin that drives it.

#11 13 years ago

Have you already tried to "kick" and shake the machine to see if the pop bumper fires when the game is vibrated? I know that this sort thing happens with slingshots quite frequently, when their switches are set too tight.

I would also suggest you try to disconnect the switches connector (I think that's the one with the white wires) and see if the prob still occurs. We'll need to make sure the problem is not caused by some phantom switch. By the way, a broken switch diode could also be the culprit here.

#12 13 years ago

i will try these things if it starts acting up again....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-pop-bumper-fires-continuously and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.