Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2014-01-11 at 1.36.52 PM.png
#1 10 years ago

I just started playing a Whirlwind in real life. On The Pinball Arcade, when you launch the ball, it either goes around the loop or it goes up and around the side ramp. When I was playing the actual game, I could never get the ball to go up and around the side ramp off of a hard plunge. It would sometimes go around the loop, but most of the time it would hit something before going all the way around. Is it possible to hard plunge around the side ramp? It is very useful for starting multiball, etc.

#2 10 years ago

It's really cheating if you can plunge the ramp

#3 10 years ago

If the wrong spring is on the plunger

#4 10 years ago

A full plunge should go around the loop. The skill shot is a soft shot into the drop targets, but I never go for that (lost too many balls after scoring a total of 10 points).

#5 10 years ago

I bet that it is not even possible to do that unless the plumb bob has been removed or some idiot has messed up the shooter lane ball guide.

#6 10 years ago

The plunge should go around the loop on a full or near-full plunge, but certainly NOT up the ramp. I used to play on a Whirlwind that was set up that way, free jackpots for everybody!

#7 10 years ago

I've played some Whirlwind machines that will allow the left ramp shot from a hard plunge, but it's rare, and indicates a machine that is not properly setup.

My Whirlwind at home doesn't do this, and the left ramp shot is extremely difficult. Possibly more difficult that it should be. I suspect I don't have the machine leveled properly. I'm shopping it right now, and will definitely level it properly once I'm done.

#8 10 years ago

Shouldn't go up the ramp...as said above it gives away too much free stuff that way.

#9 10 years ago

The Pinball Arcade is actually inaccurate in this regard. I own a Whirlwind and I've played many in the wild and I don't think I've ever seen someone (or been able to myself) plunge the side ramp.

Quoted from mattenno:

It is very useful for starting multiball, etc.

Yes, but, frankly, it shouldn't be. As others have said, it allows for a dead easy multiball start, etc.

#10 10 years ago

I played one new outta the box back in the day and the plunge should not go up the ramp. If it does, somebody monkeyed with the ball guide, like others have said.

#11 10 years ago

yulp my full plunge goes around the loop but no way to get up the ramp

#12 10 years ago

My WW is setup to plunge the ramp - has been from when I bought it. Can switch it back, but leaving it as is for now. It's fun.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from pinmanguy:

yulp my full plunge goes around the loop but no way to get up the ramp

Same here. One of the reasons real pinball is better than virtual. I think Pinball Arcade is fun, but no substitute for the real thing.

#14 10 years ago

Mine will make the ramp on occasion, it depends on how the plunger launches the ball. Of the times it has made it around the ball ends up dropping on the spinner disc running at full speed. Ones it comes off the spinning disc its like a curve ball and it hooks right down the middle and drains. Fun to watch but sucks if its your ball.

I have a "heavy" / red colored spring on the shooter rod.

2 months later
#15 10 years ago

photo from the operators manual

my adjustment screw is stripped so the harder you plunge the more the shooter exit "gives" and the ball travels in a higher direction

Screen Shot 2014-01-11 at 1.36.52 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-01-11 at 1.36.52 PM.png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-plunge-the-side-ramp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.