67%
  • Leave it alone or you will decrease the value of your machine 3 votes
    33%

(9 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image2 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jgadzia.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

i have a whirlwind that is not in horrible condition,but it has the mylar and you can see underneath where the paint is getting the little lines. I am guessing if i try to pull the mylar up, the paint will come with it. Like i said it is not horrible and you really have to look to see where it is doing that. My question is that there are some replacement cpr playfields available for this. From a value standpoint, is the machine worth more with the original playfield or is it worth more with a new playfied. I know it will definitely look better with the new playfield and i am leaning towards going ahead and replacing it.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well it will be worth more...but I don't know if that's the point. Once you do that are you going to put the crappy ramps & star posts back in? Naw you gotta buy all new ones since you're at it...and plastics might as well...etc etc. It'll get out of hand quick.

i have actually replaced a fair amount of the plastics. so they actually dont look too bad, i will upload some pics when i get home.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

OR restore the one you have, if you have the time, skills, learning curve.
*edit - why would you ever sell a WW anyway?!?

i just finished restoring my data east star wars, but it didnt have any paint peel when i removed the mylar then i cleared it with an awesome result, i am just concerned if the paint comes off then restore is going to be a big deal, and would probably look better just to replace

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

I hate to come off like a salesman but I read this post and thought it might be helpful or a perfect fit for you so here it goes.
I have got a nice original Diamond Plated Whirlwind playfield for sale.
It is used and in good condition.

its fine to come off as a salesman if you are selling something. is this a restore? how much do you want for it?

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

I think it is 200 or less.
If you have any ambitions of clearing a System 11 playfield with auto clear then a Diamond plate version is just about a must.
Believe me I have lots of experience with them. Even the NOS non Diamond plated version is less desirable.

what does nos mean?

#17 4 years ago

well that went quick. thats what i get for not checking back quick enough. looking closely at my playfield i am starting to think that the mylar is just bubbling up. HEP you said you had lots of experience clearing a non diamond plate playfield. Is it just not worth doing because of the work. does the paint come off easily?
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jgadzia.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-playfield-restoration?tu=jgadzia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.