Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by Schwaggs
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1350 (resized).jpg
IMG_1349 (resized).jpg
IMG_1191 (resized).jpg
IMG_1044 (resized).jpg
whirlwind-backbox (resized).png
IMG_1021 (resized).jpg
1EDE80E3-4194-47E5-989F-3E908930440F (resized).jpeg
4122041A-A468-4F40-8508-65A6371FB51A (resized).jpeg
63BD7D72-4830-4732-B969-A77D8CEE3350 (resized).jpeg
0422E65E-FB62-4CFE-A34E-27F969827474 (resized).jpeg

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 23 days ago

It's time to start fresh. You should replace all electrolyte caps, bridge rectifier and signal diodes at minimum. Possibly the header pins too.

#52 21 days ago

Thanks, the power supply board is off for repair so it can be tip-top, using my Rottendog board in the interim.

I'm back for now as it seems to be the pinball curse on this one. You know, fix one thing, something else breaks, kind of thing.

So I'm noticing some odd behavior with ball presence in the game. Primarily, the lock area and the cellar area. I've tested the switch edges and all seems fine. However, in gameplay, the game has started to just spit balls shot into the right cellar (round start) as if they were shot into the left cellar. Easy enough if it were just that problem, I'd assume bad or switch needing checked inside the cellar entrance. However, the game additionally now has started to shoot out locked balls during gameplay as if they didn't belong there.

What I am THINKING might be happening is the game is getting confused due to the problem in the cellar and kicking off the "stuck ball" fire all solenoids thing and the losing the locked ball is a side effect.

Anyone seen this issue before and have a place to start? I've got plenty of time here in PA as quarantine continues and while I'm waiting for the board repair.

Think I'll start by checking IJ8 Column 3 wiring and plug since it seems the cellar and lock switches all fall on this same column / wire. The wiring is pretty crummy under there (mostly just brittle and old) and my soldering skills leave a lot to be desired (I continue to be great at melting solder, and terrible at getting it to actually melt on top of the wire and switch where it needs to go). I'll get better.

#53 18 days ago

Gonna bump this topic as the issue has reared its ugly head yet again.

Oddly enough the game ran fine for a few days and it's almost like the problem just built up somewhere as I played.

Here's an interesting observation -- So, first few power ups, the discs pulsed a little bit in attract mode, not anything near full on, just enough that you knew something was wrong. After a few more power cycles, the discs now come on FULL BLAST immediately upon power being turned on. Without anything else changing. Almost as if the power bleed is building up somewhere like a dam about to break and once it's full, it's full?

I've noticed that if I remove molex connections from the Sound Overlay Solenoid and Power boards, the cycle starts anew -- In other words, the discs only slow pulse again. Like I've "bled out" the power buildup somehow.

Does this behavior at all give a clue on what might be faulty?

#54 13 days ago

Update on the game while waiting for the power board, discovered some sound issues, when bypassing the Sound Overlay Solenoid board the sound and display begin to act up. Starting to think this may be a CPU board issue. Attache some photos of the board.

Wondering if battery leakage would explain the odd behavior...

IMG_1349 (resized).jpgIMG_1350 (resized).jpg
#55 13 days ago
Quoted from bbddpp:

Wondering if battery leakage would explain the odd behavior...

This is the cause of the disc and sound issues.

This has to be fixed ASAP.

#56 12 days ago

Well hey at least the problem finally reveals itself -- I'll pull the CPU board and hope for the best. Hopefully little damage and fixing that will remedy both the new sound issues and the playfield disc problem. Makes a little more sense now that disconnecting the ribbon cable from the CPU board to the overlay stopped them spinning, it was the CPU board sending the wrong signals out because it's all corrupted by evil dried battery acid!

#57 8 days ago

Turns out that component above the left battery, even though I cleaned it off, took some damage from the battery leakage, and that component has something to do with the sound which explains why my machine was playing the wrong or weird sounds. Hopefully getting that replaced will also fix the spinning disc issue. I will report back once I find someone local to work on the CPU board. Beyond my comfort level!

#58 8 days ago
Quoted from bbddpp:

Turns out that component above the left battery, even though I cleaned it off, took some damage from the battery leakage, and that component has something to do with the sound which explains why my machine was playing the wrong or weird sounds. Hopefully getting that replaced will also fix the spinning disc issue. I will report back once I find someone local to work on the CPU board. Beyond my comfort level!

I think you are on the right track. SR3 (the corroded resistor/capacitor array) is the pull-up lines for the data bus on J21. The corrosion on those super fine traces there and under the battery pack need to be remediated. While you are having the board worked on, have an NVRAM installed so you can do away with the batteries forever.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
4,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Jefferson, NJ
$ 50.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
3,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester , PA
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside