• earthshaker 28 votes
    21%

(132 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180620_235532 (resized).jpg
20180411_233310 (resized).jpg
20180612_182648 (resized).jpg

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

what's a fair price for these two machines? and which one would you take home? and is there anything I should check or look out for when shopping around for these?

#2 5 years ago

I personally would choose whirlwind and depending on condition they usually go from $2,300 to $3,000.

#4 5 years ago

I know I am in the minority here, but I love ES. Even more than WW. Avg. is like 2450.

#5 5 years ago

Two great games.

I'd leave this up to your subjective preference for the art and music packages. Just figure out if you don't like either one...

I presume otherwise availability and price will lead you to the answer...

Price is the same on both. These for some strange reason have remained somewhat flat the last 5 years that I've been in the hobby. I'd put them at 2200-2400.

The music/art of Earthshaker is a no-go for me... But that's doesn't say anything about the gameplay... So it's an easy decision. Completely subjective.

In this situation, since sound is very important to me -- I'd play movies of both and NOT watch the game play -- until my ears told me which game sounds like more fun.

-mof

#6 5 years ago

I personally like both games. I like Whirlwind a little more. Whirlwinds tend to be a little higher priced. Condition is everything on these since they are system 11 games and both tend to have playfield wear issues. Some Whirlwinds will have a clear coated (Diamond Plate) factory playfield but most will not. ES tend to be in the $1800-$2500 range. WW $2000-3000. +/- depending on condition.

#7 5 years ago

It's kind of a crapshoot to me. They both have the same GENERAL rules (hit X lit targets to light locks and start multiball). WW has some more "stuff" going on...multiple scoops, ramp that opens, back drop target, spinning discs. I like them both a lot, but prefer ES by a nose, but that's all personal preference at that point.

Price wise you're probably at 2,000 for ES and 2,300 for WW +/- based on condition/location.

#8 5 years ago

Whirwind and it is not close.

#9 5 years ago

Both fun playing games and close. But I would go Whirl Wind as the champ!

#10 5 years ago

Hard question, they are both really fun games. I paid 2300 for WW and my brother in law paid 2600 for his ES.

Both natural disaster themes with different things going on. Pretty sure I like them the same.

#11 5 years ago

got both, whirlwind gets alot more play time.

#12 5 years ago

Whirlwind is by far the best System 11 so this is no contest.

#13 5 years ago

Whirlwind hands down

#14 5 years ago

Whirlwind is tough to beat. Amazing game, and a personal favorite of mine.

Earthshaker is a guest and family favorite though. Everyone gravitates towards it.

They’re similar enough rules-wise, where owning both in a small collection might not be the best idea, but if you gotta have one or the other, Whirlwind’s the one to own.

#15 5 years ago

I have both and Whirlwind would get the nod from me. Similar rules but they expanded them a little on Whirlwind which makes it a better player. ES has really gotten too easy as well. Not to tough to max out the miles just about every game. If I had to give the edge to ES on anything it would be the art and music.

#16 5 years ago

I just played WhirlWind at SFGE in Atlanta (set high score #2, while draining 2 extra balls, because daughter was yawning) and owned an Earthshaker for years. Very fun, indeed, but...

I’ll be in the minority, but Earthshaker is the one on my “to buy” list. Nothing like setting off an earthquake.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Totally subjective answer. So it isn't "no contest"

I prefer WW over ES as well. However, in my opinion, taxi is better than both. Again, subjective answer.

#18 5 years ago

I own both and whirlwind wins this one.
Whirlwind is one of the greatest games ever created IMHO.

#19 5 years ago

Whirlwind easily for me.

I enjoy ES, but once you have collected the jackpot I don't think there is a way to relight it. That kills the game for me.

#20 5 years ago

Had both for a long time, and recently sold Earthshaker. I didn't want to sell anything, but ES was on the bottom.

I prefer WW too. Much faster, more difficult game.

Here in N. Ca I don't think you are getting into a WW for under 3k, unless it is a non working basket case. A nice DP example I would guess around 4 easy. Could be wrong though

#21 5 years ago

Perhaps it's a regional thing but for me Earthshaker stands well above WW when you live atop the San Andreas fault. WW didn't last very long here even though it was diamond plate.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Totally subjective answer. So it isn't "no contest"
I prefer WW over ES as well. However, in my opinion, taxi is better than both. Again, subjective answer.

Nah, Whirlwind is the best designed pinball machine up to that point in pinball history. It's certainly not my favorite. However, placing it against all other machines that were released prior to it, it's a much more involved and better designed game that paved the way for further elaborations in the industry of pinball.

#23 5 years ago

I will add that Earthshaker came with a feature that is added to almost every modern game whether it should have it or not. A well implemented shaker motor. The only time I see fans in games now is to cool things inside.

#24 5 years ago

Nostalgia aside, I prefer WW. Why did you sell WW the first time? I own both, but I'd personally have a hard time dropping top dollar on either at today's prices.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from TwilightZone:

Whirlwind easily for me.
I enjoy ES, but once you have collected the jackpot I don't think there is a way to relight it. That kills the game for me.

There isn't but you can keep hitting the side ramp for (IIRC) 250k per shot in MB.

#26 5 years ago

Earthshaker over Whirlwind.

#27 5 years ago

I dive right more often than left...

20180612_182648 (resized).jpg20180612_182648 (resized).jpg
#28 5 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

Nice looking games.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Nah, Whirlwind is the best designed pinball machine up to that point in pinball history. It's certainly not my favorite. However, placing it against all other machines that were released prior to it, it's a much more involved and better designed game that paved the way for further elaborations in the industry of pinball.

Nah.

#30 5 years ago

I've owned both. Still own WW. I would give the nod to WW but I do love me some Earthshaker. Both are fun to me.

#31 5 years ago

Whirlwind over Earthshaker because of the relightable jackpot shot and wizard mode

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

WW, ES & F-14...nice...very nice!

#33 5 years ago

I own both. Similar rules, but as stated, WW's are more developed.

Both have very good to excellent uses of the upper flipper. I give the nod to ES

On ES, I prefer the back glass ( by far), the call outs, the shaker and the sinking building.

On WW, I prefer the advanced rules, the light show and the fan is cool.

Pinside rates WW very high and I believe is the highest rated sys 11. So I would expect the answer here to be WW over ES. I am at a toss up. I would buy the one in the better condition, as stated earlier, finding this era game in great condition is difficult.

As far as price, average condition , I would expect mid 2K region for both. For very good to excellent condition, expect to pay much more. My ES is a sample game in super shape. I turned down 5K ( I know I am a hoarder).

#34 5 years ago

WW all the way.

ES is too easy, like most center ramp Williams titles.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

I own both. Similar rules, but as stated, WW's are more developed.
Both have very good to excellent uses of the upper flipper. I give the nod to ES
On ES, I prefer the back glass ( by far), the call outs, the shaker and the sinking building.
On WW, I prefer the advanced rules, the light show and the fan is cool.
Pinside rates WW very high and I believe is the highest rated sys 11. So I would expect the answer here to be WW over ES. I am at a toss up. I would buy the one in the better condition, as stated earlier, finding this era game in great condition is difficult.
As far as price, average condition , I would expect mid 2K region for both. For very good to excellent condition, expect to pay much more. My ES is a sample game in super shape. I turned down 5K ( I know I am a hoarder).

Agreed! The best way to summarize your dilemma is "win win" . You can't go wrong either way IMO.

#36 5 years ago

ES, with the custom ROM for the center ramp shot

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

Whirlwind over Earthshaker because of the relightable jackpot shot and wizard mode

You can't go wrong with either.

I looked for an Earthshaker for a long time and couldn't find one in the condition/price point that I wanted. Then, a Whirlwind became available and I "settled" for it. Here's my takeaway:

1. As patrickvc says above, the mini-wizard mode in WW makes a big difference. Is it enough to sway your decision? Dunno...but it really adds to the replay-ability. When the timed cellar door light is lit, it gets your heart racing!
2. Personally, I find that the upper ramp shot is harder on WW than ES. On ES, the post feeds that upper flipper nice and slow, making the game more approachable. If you have young kids or lots of visitors, ES might be a better choice.

Bottom line, grab whichever one you want. If you tire of it or want to switch it up, there will always be someone waiting to take it off your hands!

#38 5 years ago

I own a WW because I came across one in very good condition. I still want an ES!

#39 5 years ago

In my opinion, WW is the game that made Pat Lawlor a legend. His genius is on full display here and he has built on that greatness ever since. This was the game that said, there is a new big man in town.

#40 5 years ago

I don't like most Pat L games.. but I really like Whirlwind.

#41 5 years ago

I love my ES...and I didnt think I would until I worked it over to my taste and speed, a couple weeks ago!

Love to challenge it with a WW, so keeping my eyes open!

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Whirlwind is the best pinball game ever made.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Whirlwind is the best pinball game ever made.

After Quicksilver and Attack From Mars

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

After Quicksilver and Attack From Mars

No!!

#45 5 years ago

Picking up a E.S, saturday , I like game play on whirl wind better but like the look on the .E.S way more , havnt played eiether in years , only worn down w.w that suck, but i kniw its goodI know my kids will like E.S better,and i love the california ,neveda split...hopeing to snatch the whirl wind to that's not for sale too...there both great titles!!! Can't go wrong

#46 5 years ago

I owned both, but give the edge to ES and yes, totally subjective. And like @blackbeard, I feel Taxi is better than both. But then again, I think Grand Lizard is better than both.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

Exactly WW is a long time keeper for me. ES lasted a year.

#48 5 years ago

My suggestion/opinion, get which ever is the better deal for you or in better condition. I've got both of them and I would rank them about the same, I kind of like ES a bit better due to the artwork and such (and it is my first pin.... first born as it were). You may as well ask which is better, a black lab or chocolate lab... or for those of us in TN, meth lab....

#49 5 years ago

Went to get E.S last Saturday definately not a beautiful playfield like I was told , cab needed love he said ,yes it needs love. I passed on it only because I was hopeing playfield was better,..my kid was bummed out , after passing on a T.Z that monday i realized i was more bummed on not getting E.S decided the wear wasnt that bad ...the seller has decals for the cab, And I called back, am picking it up this Saturday after all... gonna surprise kid , had a taxi loved it, wish I never sold it but like the look of E.S the most and feel it's a all around tie with taxi, whirl wind more fun!! All 3 games r great!!!!

#50 5 years ago

Love both, earthshaker is really fun. But whirlwind is a more complete game. Earthshaker really needs a progressive jackpot

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-or-earthshaker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.