(Topic ID: 301179)

Whirlwind “Oh no, looks like rain” sound is scratchy.

By Timberhusk

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Schwaggs
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 2 years ago

Is that callout still scratchy in the next game started (after the board has "warmed up")?

And what do you mean by "scratchy"? The old-school compression used means none of them are super clear - think lo-fi tape or landline phone. Compared to today's tech, some might describe it as "scratchy". That callout on mine seems a little harsher (if I wouldn't say "scratchy") than the others, but I just figured the high-pitched female voice didn't take as well to the compression. The "Ooh, Millions!" callout is similarly sub-par. But neither is offensively so, if that makes sense.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Timberhusk:

Maybe a new sound ROM is worth a try?

Well if it's consistently bad we can rule out it suffering as the literal first words spoken as the board is warming up. So if it's truly distinctly bad compared to the others, a new ROM might be worth trying. As you describe it, no, it shouldn't be that bad. Mine is perfectly audible, just a little harsh in its compressed tone (just like "Ooh Millions", with same voice and relative clarity).

You might reseat the ribbon cable first, just to try... I once experienced flaky certain sounds on my Bad Cats that ultimately traced to a cable, so it's possible. But I wouldn't necessarily hold my breath on a cable since the callout does actually play, and a bad ribbon line should affect more than one sound. As you guess, bit rot could cause bad quality solely on the affected data.

In pursuit of fidelity I would probably recap the board too as part of an overhaul. I greatly improved the quality of a Diner's sound package that way but all the sounds & callouts were all crappy, not just one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Fort Worth, TX
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-oh-no-looks-like-rain-sound-is-scratchy?tu=goingincirclez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.