IMG_4355 (resized).PNG
t (resized).jpg
IMG_4352 (resized).JPG
IMG_4353 (resized).JPG
IMG_4354 (resized).JPG
IMG_4334 (resized).JPG
IMG_4333 (resized).JPG
IMG_4331 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider schwaggs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

Well I think I figured out my display issue. Missing chip at u19, easy and cheap enough. Also found a bad relay underneath the playfield for the upper GI, having some trouble finding one though.
Still waiting on bumper bodies then I can carry on. Got the playfied protector on, looks great
Threw in a clear hole protector too, with a blue LED below it.

Looking great!

Were you able to find U19 UDN7180? Don't buy these from China, they are most certainly fakes.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

Thank you!
I was going to order one from action pinball today. I'm assuming they are fake though? For 8$

Thanks!

Maybe someone found a bunch of tubes of them in their backstock. BUT, $8 is a steal, even when (if) you can find them in stock somewhere trustworthy they can be $15-20 each so be cautious. Hopefully they didn't source them from China. If you do buy spares, test all of them in your board to make sure they work before storing them. Maybe perform the diode test as described on PinWiki before installing them. http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#Display_Fuse_F1_Blows

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

Well looks like a pin was folded under on that socket while it was replaced or something.. crap

Well, that looks to be pin 9 which is ground. No telling what would happen with that left floating. Great eye to catch that missing pin.

#47 6 years ago

You have a couple problems in those pictures, lets start with the top segments of display 2 locked on.

Now that you have replaced the missing 7180, lets step slightly back. Use a logic probe to test the inputs and outputs of the input buffers for those segments. Looks like a, b and f segments which come through U9 and U10. These should be pulsing and NOT stuck high or low. If they are stuck hi or lo on the input, you have a ribbon cable or CPU board issue. If the input is pulsing but the output is not, you have a bad buffer chip.

Similar test for the display 2 segments that never turn on c and e. Those input buffers are on U11 and U12

For the dead digit and the always on digit in display 1 and 2, we know the strobe signals are making it through the input gates since digit 5 has a problem on display 1 and digit 4 has a problem on display 2 (if the signal was not making it through, both displays would have a problem on the same digit). The problem is probably in the 6118 at U13 and U17. Are either of these socketed?

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

As far as the dead digit it was going through the test where is goes through all the digits one by one.. there is no problems with the top display. Thanks for the help. I will go through it when I get a logic probe

Cool, then there is only a potential problem with U17. Is that by chance socketed? If so, check out the solder job on that socket and if another 6118 is socketed, it would be a simple test to swap them and see if the problem follows the chip.

#52 6 years ago

The hollow line represents all the lines that enters and exits the hollow lines. It usually represents a bus (address or data) but was a way to draw the schematic without drawing all the individual lines, which took a lot of time to draw (by hand) and was messy. Look for the line description as it enters and exits the hollow box to know what connects to what.

Also, the parts you thought were diodes, are actually buffers. They recondition the signal as it passes through. This is used when signals travel a great distance (the ribbon cable in this case) or multiple devices are on that same signal. Since there isn't a small circle at the point of the triangle, you know the same signal entering (hi or lo) should exit the buffer. If there was a small circle at the point, it would be called an inverter and the opposite signal at the input would be at the output. Diodes have a line at the point of the triangle.

In your case, you are looking for pulsing at the inputs and outputs of the buffers. If there is a solid hi or lo signal, you have a problem.

#54 6 years ago

The prefix on those chips indicates the manufacturer. 4049 is the chip you want.

No harm playing the game with those segments stuck on, unless any of the segments are extra bright. That might cause premature failure of the digit.

#61 6 years ago

Don't beat yourself up, it happens to all of us! Simple mistake.

I don't have access to schematics at the moment. When I get home tonight, I'll have a look and try and tell you what that may have fried, if anything.

In the mean time, remove the ribbon cable from the display and see if the CPU will boot.

#64 6 years ago

The lines from U19 connect through buffers U7 and U8 on the display board ultimately connecting to U42 on the CPU board.

I suspect what that error is saying is U42 Failure. Its hard to read because some display segments are stuck on likely caused by blown buffer chips or the bad PIA itself.

Start by replacing the buffers U7 and U8 (4049) on the display board BEFORE replacing U42. The reason you want to do the buffers first is the bad buffers MIGHT blow the PIA outputs. Unlikely but better safe than sorry since they all need to be replaced anyway.

Then try U42 (6821), and you might have to replace U41 (another 6821) if the buffer chip also corrupted the other PIA.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider schwaggs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-my-first-resto?tu=schwaggs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.