• 14 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Jeroen
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hi all,

First off - my apologies if this has been answered, or is in the wrong subform (mods feel free to move if needed). I did a search, didn't see what I was looking for.

Bought my first machine - a Whirlwind. Had some issues with the multiball switches in the left lock lane...I think. If I managed to lock a ball, It was kicking the ball out at random, and half the time not realizing I had a ball locked when there was one in the lane. I adjusted the switches a bit, and I thought I had the problem resolved (i think the lowest switch wasn't up high enough to put constant pressure to note the first locked ball in the lane). It held the ball longer than it typically would, threw 1 ball locked on the scoreboard, but kicked it out when i started the storm.

My question is: when is it supposed to eject the balls in the lock lane? Only when 3 are locked? Anytime you start the storm? Just want to know what the "expected behavior" is before I waste more time adjusting things and potentially breaking them....considering I really have no experience messing under the playfield. I saw one guy on here adjusted the lever that kicks the balls out my moving a washer..I guess I may try that next. Tips/suggestions are appreciated..but first I'd like to know what the game should actually be doing.

Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

It locks two balls, then ejects them when you lock the third ball under the right ramp.

If one of the lock switches momentarily switches off (loses contact), it kicks all the balls out of the lane. If the top switch closes, it kicks the balls out. Switch errors can also make this happen if you have a bad diode or a switch wired wrong. Several of the stand up targets are in the same row or column as the lock switches and if they get bashed and stuck or shorted, or have a bad diode, it can affect the lock switches and lead to ejected balls. So you need to check the lock switches themselves, and if you still have problems you need to look at the other switches that are in the same rows and columns as the lock switches.

#3 10 years ago

Had similar issue and started a post a while back. Check the 3 lock switches.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-ball-lock-issue

#4 10 years ago

I had this same issue on two different WhirlWinds that I worked on. Both times it turned out to be faults with the switches where one had a bad solder connection which I reflowed solder to and the other had a bad switch that would randomly register (I just replaced this switch). Don't just check the top of the switches, but look at them from the underside of the playfield, making sure there's no loose wires or other obvious issues to the connection.

#5 10 years ago

stangbat - is that the only way they should release? when you lock a third ball? nothing sooner releasing one or 2 of the balls?

#6 10 years ago

I can't think of any other time they release. For quick multiball, you lock one under the ramp and the second ball is released to the shooter lane for you to plunge and start the multiball.

You should never lock 3 balls in the left lock. Two balls lock on the left, the ramp raises, then you lock the third under the ramp to start multiball. The only reason the third switch is in the lock is to sense if a ball gets in there when it shouldn't be so that they can be kicked out.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

#7 10 years ago

I have replacement switch bank on order from pinballspareparts. I adjusted them...or at least tried to. No dice. Looked at the underside, it appears all is soldered ok. I hope my soldering skills are up to par when the new switches come in. I can't recall the last time i soldered anything...

#8 10 years ago

Threw it into test today after some time w/the manual. Ball on switch 1 (lowest) will trigger most of the time. Dropping a ball through the hole will cause it to flake out. Switch 2 with a ball on switch one is hit or miss as well...the game will flash the switch lights back and forth.

So, i'm thinking that switch bank i ordered will hopefully fix the issue. Anyone have reason to believe it'd be some form of wiring issue? The prior owner had a crimp connect on the middle wire..not sure why it's not soldered. At any rate..new switch bank is in the mail..and I have to take the old one off anyways.

Does anyone clip/restrip the wire prior to re-joining to the new switches? It doesn't look like i have a lot of room to play with when it comes to length. Thanks again..

1 week later
#9 10 years ago

So i got those switches. They look...used. Dirty...like they were ripped out of an old machine. Question - if the switch doesn't make an audible click, does that mean it's bad. The new bay of 3 switches - 2 click audibly, one does not. I'd like to know if that's a bad sign before I waste the time to install them.

#10 10 years ago

Usually they make an audible click. Best to test it with a meter though, set on continuity. Hopefully between what you just got and what is in the game you'll have three good switches.

FWIW, you can just order new switch bodies, put the old actuators on them, and install them. These come without a diode:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=830

You can also order them from PBL with a diode.

#11 10 years ago

My WW had this issue randomly. I tried adjusting the switches. It worked 99% of the time. But the 1% it screwed up drove me crazy. I ended up replacing all 3 switches with brand new switches and new diodes. Then the problem was solved. Ten minutes of soldering and a few bucks worth of parts were well worth it.

#12 10 years ago

Thanks again. I think i'm gonna just order 3 new switches w/diodes so i only have to do this once. Kinda pissed at the aussie buy. I got robbed for 30 bucks!

1 week later
#13 10 years ago

Replaced all switches over the weekend w/the lock w/new ones (Thanks stangbat). Soldering skills weren't the best, but they were still there. Everything is working as it should. Thanks everyone!

2 months later
#14 9 years ago

The two locked balls should also release when you go up and around the left ramp with the third ball which ends on top of the spinning discs....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-multiball-release and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.