• 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by SMP14
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20211226-191411_Chrome (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SMP14.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Hi all. I have a Whirlwind MPu not booting, but boots in a F14 tomcat. I'm at a loss. I have no displays. I get correct 5 volt and 12 volt. The diagnostics flash after about 30 seconds, then the blanking flashes about 10 times and locks on. During the blanking flashes the displays come on but dim. There was corrosion but that was suppressed.

Here is a link to my game not booting..

Any and all help would be appreciated. I am at a loss since it boots in a different game. Thanks!

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Disconnect all connectors on CPU board except J17 (power, ground) and see if it boots properly. If it does, power off and reconnect connectors one at a time to see what's causing the hangup.

Hi there. The board did not boot, same exact thing happens like my video. What now?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#5 2 years ago
Quoted from MisterScappy:

When U44 was socketed during the alkaline abatement, it appears that a longer socket was used than was was needed. Make sure any part of those extra pins aren't rubbing against the traces underneath and causing a short.

I tried to verify this and I don't see anywhere where this would cause a short. Do I need to pull the board and inspect further? I still don't get why it would work perfectly in a different game

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

F-14 is a System 11a machine, while Whirlwind is a System 11b machine. Perhaps you need to change some of the jumpers?
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#System_11_MPU_Jumpers

Jumpers look good to the corresponding 6116 chips I have. Thanks for the input!

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from mslow:I’m having the exact same problem on a flintstones. I’ll let you know if I find a solution. Boots fine in another machine.

I read if it blinks 10/11 times like yours and mine does, that means the CPU isn't reading the game roms? To add, I need to buy a logic probe lol

Screenshot_20211226-191411_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211226-191411_Chrome (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SMP14.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-mpu-not-bootingwhy?tu=SMP14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.