Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Gameshow vol res.JPG
Gameshow vol after.JPG
Gameshow vol before.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Happy Sunday,

The sound on my new Whirlwind is still a bit high for home use, even though the pot is all the way down. The pot works otherwise (It crackles a bit but it adjusts the volume louder without a problem)

After doing some research, I stumbled on a thread that recommended removing the resistor on the volume pot. Tried that & the sound become even louder and practically maxed out.

Just looking for a little guidance here. Should I start testing chips next? Should I try jumping the resistor instead? Is there something in the settings I'm missing? I just replaced the batteries, but could it be a cold solder joint on the holder? I did receive an "adjust failure" message when I fired it up for the first time, but it has since gone away after re-inserting the batteries...

Thank you in advance!

#2 9 years ago

try spraying electrical cleaner in the pod, volume control knob is prob just dirty. Should turn it all the way down when turned.

#3 9 years ago

That's funny mine has always been this way. I just assumed it was meant to rock. My wife will be happy that I can fix that, lol.

#4 9 years ago

It never hurts to clean the pot, so I will put that on my list. I'm not sure that's it though. From what I've read, I believe it's supposed to be loud like Hougie said and they added that resistor at the factory to hold the minimum volume. Like I said, removing it made the sound even louder.

Would it make sense to increase the resistor value? (Not an electronics expert obviously).

#5 9 years ago

I'm by no means an expert but adding a higher resistance would make sense in my opinion. Plus that would be easy to test. Hope that works. I have a WW and the volume is pretty low when I turn it down so I definitely think you do have some type of problem.

#6 9 years ago

You must bypass that 47 ohm @ half watt resistor. That resistor has a shield wire soldered to one end at a solder lug. The other end of the resistor is connected to the bottom terminal of the volume pot.

What you need to do is unsolder the shield wire from the resistor AND unsolder the resistor from the bottom terminal of the volume pot. Now move the shield wire to the terminal on the pot the resistor had gone to. See my pictures.

Gameshow vol before.JPGGameshow vol before.JPG Gameshow vol after.JPGGameshow vol after.JPG Gameshow vol res.JPGGameshow vol res.JPG
#7 9 years ago

Thank you Ken! Super helpful. Looks like I missed a step

#8 9 years ago

pictures speak a 1000 words!

#9 9 years ago

The removed resistor and solder lug can be discarded if desired.

1 week later
#10 9 years ago

Mine turns right down to nothing

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Aeolus7:

Thank you Ken! Super helpful. Looks like I missed a step

Did this work for you? I have the same problem of not turning all the way down.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Fort Worth, TX
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-loud-sound and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.