Whirlwind locking left kickback sticking/rekicking and not retracting - SOLVED

By TheDonnyKey

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hi guys --

I just purchased a Whirlwind table and have run into my first issue. This is my first table, and I plan on taking good care of her!

I'm a pinball tech noob, but I'll do my best to explain here:

After locking two balls in the left lane and releasing/starting 3-ball multiball, the left kickback mechanism is now sticking/keeps trying to kick after the two balls are ejected from the left lane. It doesn't fully retract back into the proper place after the kick, either. If I push the kicker mechanism back into place, it will stay in place until the game kicks again from either a multi-ball start or end of game ball release... then it sticks at full extension and keeps trying to re-kick over and over and over, but it never fully retracts back into the correct spot.

Any ideas? Has anyone seen this issue/resolved this issue or a similar one before?

Thanks much in advance!

EDIT: This is now solved. The apron was dragging the kickback and causing the issue.

Post edited by TheDonnyKey : Problem Solved

#2 10 years ago

Take it apart, clean it, check for worn parts, especially coil sleeve.

If you think it might not be too easy for you. Take some pictures first so you know how it goes back together.

LTG : )™

#3 10 years ago

Hey LTG --

Thanks for the tips -- I'll give this a shot this weekend.

#4 10 years ago

Problem Solved - Apron was dragging the kickback. Fixed via a minor tweak.

#5 10 years ago

Glad you figured this out! Fellow WW owner, here. I had a somewhat related problem a while back where the left kickout would kick the balls out before it was time. Turned out as the ball rolled over the top lock switch, the switch was dragging on the playfield as it came back up. That drag delayed the release of the switch just long enough for the game to think there were three balls held and kick them back out. A wuick bend of that switch arm with some needle-nose pliers did the trick. I know it's not quite what your problem was, but it's a game specific issue that might help you in the future. Congrats on snagging a killer title. It was my first too.

Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#6 10 years ago

Hey Ryan!

Thanks alot man!

Really loving the play on this table. She was built for destroying quarters, and the difficulty keeps me coming back for more...

Thanks for dropping the knowledge about the top lock switch, too. I believe I had read into your related issue earlier when I was initially investigating the cause! ;D

What other Lawlor tables have the most longevity in your opinion? I'd love to find a nice funhouse, if they weren't so pricey!

#7 10 years ago

Not sure I can pick one, as the guy makes great pinball machines. You're talking to a big Lawlor fan here. I, too, had my sites set on a FH, but with the way the market has turned recently, I think I may be priced out. Plenty of others to enjoy, tho!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-locking-left-kickback-stickingrekicking-and-not-retracting-fully and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.