Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo 1 (2).JPG
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Help needed! I've got a row of lights that don't come on on my whirlwind. The plastics piece above the playfield at the top has 2 rows of lights. The smaller lights work but the bigger ones do not. Ill attach pictures to makeup for my lack of technical terminology. Any ideas or suggestions are more than welcome

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 10 years ago

The bigger lights are flashers so they only blink momentarily.

#3 10 years ago

Did you try going into the test menu and test lamps and see if they come on

#4 10 years ago

The flashers only work at certain times. For example. Press the start button to begin a new game and look at them. The playfield GI should go out and you will hear "Uh oh, looks like rain" then a thunder clap. When the audio of the thunder happens see if the lights flash.

#5 10 years ago

lemme go play a few games to see ill be right back with you guys! Thanks

#6 10 years ago

The set of lights that runs across the bottom are flashers and they are working properly I played a few games and scored a few million each game so i would have thought they would come on at some time during play but they didnt then i did the lamp test which i probably couldnt do again it said "all lamps" and they didnt come on the board they are plugged into looks pristine as do the connectors

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from pinplayerinva:

they didnt then i did the lamp test which i probably couldnt do again it said "all lamps" and they didnt come on

Flashers wouldn't come on in lamp test.

They make flasher test for that.

LTG : )

#8 10 years ago

ok so heres the latest when i press the start button and hear the thunder clap i did indeed see 2 of the 5 lights blink very quickly so i changed a couple around to make sure it wasnt bad bulbs and no none of the bulbs were out so 2 of the 5 are coming on the 2 on the right side #4&5 printed on the board were getting there! How do i run a flashers test? i didnt see that as an option. Or are the other 3 on the left and middle not supposed to be coming on?

1 year later
#9 9 years ago

Did you ever discover a fix for this? I'm experiencing the same thing right now on my Whirlwind. The whole back end of my playfield is dark. Occasionally those flashers will come on, but it seems like there should be some running lights illuminating the playfield back there. It makes the jackpot shots very difficult since it's so dark.

Also, only half of my backbox lights are illuminated. The right half of them never seem to light up. Anyways, just checking to see if you made any progress. I know it's been a while.

#10 9 years ago

LOL, i bought this machine from him a few months ago. Seems like he figured it out as its working great for me. First (obviously) check bulbs. Secondly, check connectors. That said, are there specific lights not working for you? That said, there are GI lights in that stay on during gameplay (see photo below) located in the plastics above the playfield.

photo 1 (2).JPGphoto 1 (2).JPG
#11 9 years ago
Quoted from halomojo:

Did you ever discover a fix for this? I'm experiencing the same thing right now on my Whirlwind. The whole back end of my playfield is dark. Occasionally those flashers will come on, but it seems like there should be some running lights illuminating the playfield back there. It makes the jackpot shots very difficult since it's so dark.
Also, only half of my backbox lights are illuminated. The right half of them never seem to light up. Anyways, just checking to see if you made any progress. I know it's been a while.

You have GI issues. Check your all your connectors for burnt ones [even coming off the transformer in the bottom under the playfield ] and also check fuses and the relay on the backbox light board. VERY common for the solders to go cold on that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Fort Worth, TX
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-lights and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.