(Topic ID: 134142)

Whirlwind LED guide for Dummies (Like me!)

By skywelker

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by borna
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

After buying a few games that were pre-LEDed by someone else, I decided to try my hand at it with a Whirlwind I was shopping out. The only experience I have with LEDs prior to this is changing out a few here and there that I wasn't happy with on some of my other games. After a bit of experimentation I decided to make a guide for Whirlwind as I think the results came out great, very crisp and not at all overpowering. I know some say that you don't need to color match inserts but that is really the only way I think that LEDs look good. Whirlwind has so many different colors and bulb styles that hopefully this will help someone else out in the future. It's tough to get a good picture but here are a couple quick videos I shot:

I bought all my LEDs from Art at Comet Pinball. He has great prices and has helped me with some advice in the past. Plus I love to help out a fellow pinsider. Note that I am in no way affiliated with Comet Pinball, but I linked to the site for greater ease in finding the right parts.
LEDs needed for CONTROLLED LAMPS/INSERTS:

Note that I used the EXACT name for each insert from the manual (page 77), that's why they can be a bit confusing.

2 SMD 6.3V AC/DC SUPREME BRIGHTNESS NON GHOSTING with FACETED LENS ($0.99 for non-ghosting, $0.69 for regular) http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/2smd3528-ng.htm

Bayonet:
-Warm White-2 Required (Middle Standup, Shoot again (Note:Shoot again could look nice with orange/amber here as well, but you would need something with a flex head as the insert is almost completely blocked below the playfield by a flipper plate. Warm white seems to be bright enough to overcome without using a flex head.))
-Green-1 Required (LOCK (Right Ramp))
-Natural White-6 Required (2 TOLLS (Right Ramp), RELEASE (left Ramp), SHOT (Skill Shot Right), SKILL (Skill Shot Middle), SUPER (Skill Shot Left), Spinner)
-Red-2 Required (MILLION PLUS (L Ramp), NE (R Standup-R Ramp))
-Orange/Amber-3 Required (MILLION (Left Ramp), SE (Right Loop), SE (Right Standup Target))

Wedge:
-Natural White-11 required (Top Drop 50K, Top Drop 75K, Top Drop 100K, Top Drop 150K, Toll 1, Toll 2, Toll 3, Toll 4, Toll 5, 2X, 3X)
-Orange/Amber-7 Required (Top Drop QUICK, SE Compass Arrow, Toll 30, Toll 20, Toll 10, 4X, 5X)
-Warm White-1 Required (NW Compass Arrow)
-Green-3 Required (SW Compass Arrow, SW (Left Loop), SW (Inner Loop Arrow))
-Red-7 Required (SPECIAL (Left Outlane), SPECIAL (Right Outlane), Top Drop Ex. Ball, NE Compass Arrow, NE (Left Return Lane), 6X Lites Ex. Ball, 6X Lites Special)
6 LED 6.3V AC/DC BRILLIANT CRYSTAL FAN SHAPE LED ($1.39 each) http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/6smdfan.htm

Wedge:
-Red-3 Required (Right Top Jet Bumper, Left Top Jet Bumper, Lower Top Jet Bumper)
-Warm White-3 Required (Left Bottom Jet Bumper, Top Bottom Jet Bumper, Right Bottom Jet Bumper, Note:You could also use yellow here but they do not come out nearly as bright and seem to get lost among the other colors)
4 SMD 6.3V AC/DC SUPREME BRIGHTNESS NON GHOSTING *EXCLUSIVE* ($0.99 for non-ghosting, $0.69 for regular) http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/4smd3528-ng.htm

Wedge:
-Natural White-4 Required (S Compass Arrow, W Compass Arrow, N Compass Arrow, E Compass Arrow)
1 SMD 6.3V AC/DC SUPREME BRIGHTNESS NON GHOSTING BULB ($0.89 for non-ghosting, $0.69 for regular) http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1smd5050ng.htm

Bayonet, Frosted:
-Red-1 Required (Left Cellar Sign)
-Yellow-1 Required (Right Cellar Sign)
Note:These are white when they are not lit. If you prefer the original look with the red and yellow condoms over bulbs they will need to be trimmed down the fit the LEDs. The condoms do not seem to affect the color of the LED though.

Bayonet, Clear:
-Warm White-2 Required (NW (Left Standup), NW (L Standup-R Ramp) Note: The 2 SMDs were too bright here. These look better but you may want to experiment here. If I had one I would like to try this with a frosted bulb.
WARM and NATURAL WHITE SUPERIOR LED DOMED "BULLET" BULB ($0.38 each) http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1ledbullet.htm

Wedge, Frosted:
-Natural White-7 Required (All Backglass Awards (Up Jets On, 250K, Ex. Ball On, 3-Bank 100K, 500K, Lite Million, Low Jets On))
Note:I experimented with brighter LEDs and did not like the way they showed though the backbox plastic. These are cheap and seem to fit both the original look of the game and the LED style of the newer bulbs.
LEDs needed for GI LIGHTS:

WARM and NATURAL WHITE SUPERIOR LED DOMED "BULLET" BULB ($0.38 each, 25/$7.25) http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1ledbullet.htm

Bayonet, Frosted:
-Natural White-21 Required for playfield GI, 35 Required for Backbox GI, 2 Required for coin door. Note:These are cheap and I think they look great. You could go to an SMD if you like things brighter but these did not look overpowering yet still had a crisp look.

Wedge Frosted:
-Natural White-5 Required for behind lightning cloud in back of cabinet.
Flashers:

I purposely left flashers as incadescent bulbs as I much prefer the way they look. However, if you decide to do LED flashers know that often times they will flash on System 11 games when you hit the flippers. There are several threads about this and I think there are fixes available, but I chose to just avoid it altogether.
Total cost with Non ghosting LEDs (where available):

Controlled lamps: $61.09
GI Lighting: $19.44
Entire game: $80.53

If you spend $99 you get free shipping so buy a few spares and don't be afraid to experiment. You could probably save $20 or so by rolling the dice with regular LEDs instead of the non-ghosting. I know the reds don't really show even if they are ghosting but the whites definitely do (at least on my WW). Any questions feel free to ask and I'll try and help out.

#2 8 years ago

Thank you for the kind words, and sharing,

It is a joy for me to see a clean, and well laid out conversion.....very tasteful, and not color bombed, showing off the original Art, but also making it easier to see and play....very inviting!

If it is OK with you, Id love to share this with some links from our site.

The plug is certainly appreciated, and I am grateful that you shared my price goals in what I do, that a game can be tastefully done
for around $100 +/- $25, depending on choices and flashers.

(I agree incandescent flashers in this game looks best)

That all being said, in fairness to other vendors that we all know....similar looks can be achieved....All Good for all of us!

Thank you again for taking the time to do this and share....I am sure others will appreciate it too!

Art

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from skywelker:

After buying a few games that were pre-LEDed by someone else, I decided to try my hand at it with a Whirlwind I was shopping out. The only experience I have with LEDs prior to this is changing out a few here and there that I wasn't happy with on some of my other games. After a bit of experimentation I decided to make a guide for Whirlwind as I think the results came out great, very crisp and not at all overpowering. I know some say that you don't need to color match inserts but that is really the only way I think that LEDs look good. Whirlwind has so many different colors and bulb styles that hopefully this will help someone else out in the future. It's tough to get a good picture but here are a couple quick videos I shot:
» YouTube video
» YouTube video
I bought all my LEDs from Art at Comet Pinball. He has great prices and has helped me with some advice in the past. Plus I love to help out a fellow pinsider. Note that I am in no way affiliated with Comet Pinball, but I linked to the site for greater ease in finding the right parts.
LEDs needed for CONTROLLED LAMPS/INSERTS:
Note that I used the EXACT name for each insert from the manual (page 77), that's why they can be a bit confusing.
2 SMD 6.3V AC/DC SUPREME BRIGHTNESS NON GHOSTING with FACETED LENS ($0.99 for non-ghosting, $0.69 for regular) http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/2smd3528-ng.htm
Bayonet:
-Warm White-2 Required (Middle Standup, Shoot again (Note:Shoot again could look nice with orange/amber here as well, but you would need something with a flex head as the insert is almost completely blocked below the playfield by a flipper plate. Warm white seems to be bright enough to overcome without using a flex head.))
-Green-1 Required (LOCK (Right Ramp))
-Natural White-6 Required (2 TOLLS (Right Ramp), RELEASE (left Ramp), SHOT (Skill Shot Right), SKILL (Skill Shot Middle), SUPER (Skill Shot Left), Spinner)
-Red-2 Required (MILLION PLUS (L Ramp), NE (R Standup-R Ramp))
-Orange/Amber-3 Required (MILLION (Left Ramp), SE (Right Loop), SE (Right Standup Target))
Wedge:
-Natural White-11 required (Top Drop 50K, Top Drop 75K, Top Drop 100K, Top Drop 150K, Toll 1, Toll 2, Toll 3, Toll 4, Toll 5, 2X, 3X)
-Orange/Amber-7 Required (Top Drop QUICK, SE Compass Arrow, Toll 30, Toll 20, Toll 10, 4X, 5X)
-Warm White-1 Required (NW Compass Arrow)
-Green-3 Required (SW Compass Arrow, SW (Left Loop), SW (Inner Loop Arrow))
-Red-7 Required (SPECIAL (Left Outlane), SPECIAL (Right Outlane), Top Drop Ex. Ball, NE Compass Arrow, NE (Left Return Lane), 6X Lites Ex. Ball, 6X Lites Special)
6 LED 6.3V AC/DC BRILLIANT CRYSTAL FAN SHAPE LED ($1.39 each) http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/6smdfan.htm
Wedge:
-Red-3 Required (Right Top Jet Bumper, Left Top Jet Bumper, Lower Top Jet Bumper)
-Warm White-3 Required (Left Bottom Jet Bumper, Top Bottom Jet Bumper, Right Bottom Jet Bumper, Note:You could also use yellow here but they do not come out nearly as bright and seem to get lost among the other colors)
4 SMD 6.3V AC/DC SUPREME BRIGHTNESS NON GHOSTING *EXCLUSIVE* ($0.99 for non-ghosting, $0.69 for regular) http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/4smd3528-ng.htm
Wedge:
-Natural White-4 Required (S Compass Arrow, W Compass Arrow, N Compass Arrow, E Compass Arrow)
1 SMD 6.3V AC/DC SUPREME BRIGHTNESS NON GHOSTING BULB ($0.89 for non-ghosting, $0.69 for regular) http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1smd5050ng.htm
Bayonet, Frosted:
-Red-1 Required (Left Cellar Sign)
-Yellow-1 Required (Right Cellar Sign)
Note:These are white when they are not lit. If you prefer the original look with the red and yellow condoms over bulbs they will need to be trimmed down the fit the LEDs. The condoms do not seem to affect the color of the LED though.
Bayonet, Clear:
-Warm White-2 Required (NW (Left Standup), NW (L Standup-R Ramp) Note: The 2 SMDs were too bright here. These look better but you may want to experiment here. If I had one I would like to try this with a frosted bulb.
WARM and NATURAL WHITE SUPERIOR LED DOMED "BULLET" BULB ($0.38 each) http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1ledbullet.htm
Wedge, Frosted:
-Natural White-7 Required (All Backglass Awards (Up Jets On, 250K, Ex. Ball On, 3-Bank 100K, 500K, Lite Million, Low Jets On))
Note:I experimented with brighter LEDs and did not like the way they showed though the backbox plastic. These are cheap and seem to fit both the original look of the game and the LED style of the newer bulbs.
LEDs needed for GI LIGHTS:
WARM and NATURAL WHITE SUPERIOR LED DOMED "BULLET" BULB ($0.38 each, 25/$7.25) http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1ledbullet.htm
Bayonet, Frosted:
-Natural White-21 Required for playfield GI, 35 Required for Backbox GI, 2 Required for coin door. Note:These are cheap and I think they look great. You could go to an SMD if you like things brighter but these did not look overpowering yet still had a crisp look.
Wedge Frosted:
-Natural White-5 Required for behind lightning cloud in back of cabinet.
Flashers:
I purposely left flashers as incadescent bulbs as I much prefer the way they look. However, if you decide to do LED flashers know that often times they will flash on System 11 games when you hit the flippers. There are several threads about this and I think there are fixes available, but I chose to just avoid it altogether.
Total cost with Non ghosting LEDs (where available):
Controlled lamps: $61.09
GI Lighting: $19.44
Entire game: $80.53
If you spend $99 you get free shipping so buy a few spares sand don't be afraid to experiment. You could probably save $20 or so by rolling the dice with regular LEDs instead of the non-ghosting. I know the reds don't really show even if they are ghosting but the whites definitely do (at least on my WW). Any questions feel free to ask and I'll try and help out.

Thanks for sharing.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Thank you for the kind words, and sharing,
It is a joy for me to see a clean, and well laid out conversion.....very tasteful, and not color bombed, showing off the original Art, but also making it easier to see and play....very inviting!
If it is OK with you, Id love to share this with some links from our site.
The plug is certainly appreciated, and I am grateful that you shared my price goals in what I do, that a game can be tastefully done
for around $100 +/- $25, depending on choices and flashers.
(I agree incandescent flashers in this game looks best)
That all being said, in fairness to other vendors that we all know....similar looks can be achieved....All Good for all of us!
Thank you again for taking the time to do this and share....I am sure others will appreciate it too!
Art

Hey Art,

That was the goal, I can't stand the color bombed look but I love LEDs in general. Feel free to post anywhere you like, I could not have done it without you and countless others sharing tons of knowledge here. If you need to me try and clean it up I can, I got sick of fighting with the pinside autocorrect and just starting using asterisks for spacing.

#5 8 years ago

Hey Skywelker!

It all looks fantastic!

Thank you for the guide. I've included it in our video section over at CometPinball.com with a link back
to your guide here on Pinside. Check it out here: http://www.cometpinball.com/category-s/1834.htm .

I look forward to any new guides you make, so keep uploading pictures and videos for us to drool over.

#6 8 years ago

Thanks Art, that's awesome! I appreciate the shout out. Whirlwind looked so good that my neighbors (who are not pinheads) immediately asked if they could buy it from me. Got some new people into the hobby AND I can still play it

I am thinking of doing another one of my games soon as I like to have LEDs in my keepers. If I do I will definitely try and make another guide, hopefully it comes out as good as WW did!

3 months later
#7 8 years ago

Thanks for the list, it helped greatly on an order that I just placed.

#8 8 years ago

No problem, hope you like how it came out!

Unrelated sidenote: I'm originally from Hamburg

#9 8 years ago

Looks great, but the middle of the playfield is kind of dim (same problem on mine, with plain old fire bulbs). I'm planning to add some spotlights to brighten that area up.

#10 8 years ago

I agree, spotlights would be great, especially if you like to play in darker rooms (although it was easy enough to track the ball in a dark room, I generally don't play that way).

6 years later
#11 2 years ago

Hi all,
Great post.
I have a 1975 Bally Wizard that I want to convert to LEDs. Currently ins not assembled and just put a new playing filed and back glass.
has someone converted Wizard to LEDs that can share as what type LEDs I need? If not, can someone experiance enough tell me what I need based on the available pictures online?
Really appreciate any help on this

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-led-guide-for-dummies-like-me and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.