Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Schwaggs
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dumbass.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 5 years ago

Sounds like the column 5 and 6 drives are out whereas the column 8 drive is locked on. It’s almost certainly a board problem in the lamp matrix area of the board. Bottom right as you look at it the cabinet. Probably the TIP42s (Q52, Q56 and Q58). Check those.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#Lamp_Matrix_Row_and_Column_Testing

#16 5 years ago

In my experience ...

I have never seen the resistors go bad but there's no reason that they cannot go bad. They are easy to measure so if you're in there just measure it if you want.

A "good" reading on a transistor does not necessarily mean it's "good". A "bad" reading on a transistor means it's "bad".

If you're comfortable replacing the TIP42s then go ahead and replace them. They're cheap. If that fixes your problem then you're done. If not then you'll need to go further upstream to the pre-driver transistor (2N6427) or possibly even further.

The bulbs also likely burned out because they were over-driven by the shorted transistor.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I've had a lot of games where the lamp matrix resistors had cracked from the heat and stress they go through.

I definitely believe that. After one minute of power those resistors are hot to the touch. My statement was too definitive so I'll retract it with apologies.

I've adopted the policy of replacing the 27 Ohm resistors and TIP42s with "the MOSFET modification" on all System 11 and Data East boards that I have.

#21 5 years ago

If you've replaced the TIP42s and the 2N6427s and they all read identical and correct you need to go upstream. This usually involves a logic probe. You could replace ICs upstream without verification to hope it solves the problem but replacing un-socketed ICs without a reason is risking damage to the board if you don't have the appropriate skills. I do not know your skill level so apologies if you're capable of doing this.

U52 and U53 are the next ICs upstream (see the schematic for further information). These are 7408s. Further upstream from that is U54 which is a 6821 PIA.

If you're comfortable that the TIP42s and 2N6427s are good then I'd recommend getting a logic probe (or oscilloscope) and checking the signals coming off the ICs before replacing any more parts.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from ChicagoPinReplay:

So the TIP42s are all reading perfectly but 4 of the 2N6427s I replaced have irregular readings. Of course those 4 are on the columns in question.

The other components in the circuit are the resistor arrays. You can take the resistor readings to verify they are in specification.

Quoted from ChicagoPinReplay:

Not sure at this point if I should find someone to repair this board or save up to eventually replace it with a rottendog.

There are board repairers on this site that can do it for you but if you want to diagnose the problem further ... try the above as well as get a logic probe and see if the ICs show incorrect signals.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dumbass.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-lamp-issue?tu=dumbass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.