unnamed-3 (resized).jpg
IMG_9156 (resized).jpg
+IMG_5774 (resized).JPG
unnamed-3 (resized).jpg
28685362_10156012469981271_1341639703063232361_n (resized).jpg
unnamed-9 (resized).jpg
unnamed-7 (resized).jpg
unnamed-3 (resized).jpg
There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 6 years ago

I inquired with CPR about the dimples as well and got a response saying that the drill bit must have broke and it wasn’t caught. Then I was told what to try to drill the holes out. I really wasn’t expecting much or really looking for anything but seeing “Sorry this happened” would have been nice. In fact, the email started off with this....

This is the third email of it's kind, in the last month. Same situation. Same discovery. We made and shipped 300+ playfields, and prior to that it's been dead quiet.

No “Hello” or anything, that’s how it started. I’m just glad I don’t do these things regularly.

#152 6 years ago
Quoted from AndHart120:

No “Hello” or anything, that’s how it started. I’m just glad I don’t do these things regularly.

Spoilers; CPR can be dicks.

#153 6 years ago
Quoted from AndHart120:

I inquired with CPR about the dimples as well and got a response saying that the drill bit must have broke and it wasn’t caught. Then I was told what to try to drill the holes out. I really wasn’t expecting much or really looking for anything but seeing “Sorry this happened” would have been nice. In fact, the email started off with this....
This is the third email of it's kind, in the last month. Same situation. Same discovery. We made and shipped 300+ playfields, and prior to that it's been dead quiet.

I'm sorry to hear this. Did they at least offer you a partial refund?

I think there are about five folks in the same boat in this thread alone. People don't populate right away, many not for years. I'm sure there are plenty more that just haven't realized yet.

I dropped them a couple of emails asking about the clear and never heard back. Then I just gave up and realized it was what it was.

#154 6 years ago

Another snow-ish day here today. I'm hoping to finish up the wiring harness and maybe switch harness (we shall see). I went to install the cellar scoops last night and forgot what length hex screw they had used. The thickness of the metal is in between a lamp socket and a coil bracket. The longer screw doesn't go through the PF, but it's kind of up there. Anybody know? Is there any other trick to lining up the scoops that I should be aware of?

28685362_10156012469981271_1341639703063232361_n (resized).jpg28685362_10156012469981271_1341639703063232361_n (resized).jpg

#155 6 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

I'm sorry to hear this. Did they at least offer you a partial refund?

No they didn’t. They said if there was a silver available they’d have offered an exchange (I’ve already installed all the underside components so I wouldn’t do it anyway) otherwise all they have left are bronze which are the worst of the run and they know I wouldn’t want one of those. I thought maybe I’d get something back but couldn’t even get an apology.

I just sent back a message that said thanks for the info just thought I’d ask. I guess I should have responded differently but I didn’t want to get another message back I wouldn’t be happy with.

#156 6 years ago

I got the lighting harness back on. General rule of thumb is to look over each socket/connection before reinstalling and reflow/beef up any weak solder points. These wires tend to be a bit brittle so chances are you will end up with some breaks from the removing and re-installing process.

I repair any breaks post installation, I just find it easier to locate connections that way. Once installed I give it another look to see how things shook out. I tape any broken wires and their attach point with tape and label 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, etc, etc etc.

I didn't tighten these too much, nor did I install bulbs. This was just to get the layout down, I will go back over my pics and double/triple check all of my placement, then fix and breaks and reflow anything else that loosened up, finally I will install bulbs and tighten down.

unnamed-3 (resized).jpgunnamed-3 (resized).jpg

#157 6 years ago

Great job dealing with the punches as they come. You're more patient than I would have been! I'm putting off doing my swap now with all the little issues. Smart of you to take a break and take your time. The results will be so worthwhile when you're done, dialed it in, and have put a few dozen games on it.

#158 6 years ago

I had hoped to finish this harness up and start on the switch harness today, but on top of this I am also in the middle of a bathroom demolition. Today I accidentally applied dawn dish soap to my toothbrush instead of toothpaste. As a result I am kind of thinking I should finish that drywall today

#159 6 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Great job dealing with the punches as they come. You're more patient than I would have been! I'm putting off doing my swap now with all the little issues. Smart of you to take a break and take your time. The results will be so worthwhile when you're done, dialed it in, and have put a few dozen games on it.

Thanks, it was really all of the unforeseen issues that got to me. Perhaps my expectations of the product were too high. Now that I have worked out all of the topside issues, it is smooth sailing. To be fair, a good bit of these hiccups were a result of Williams inaccurate measurements.

#160 6 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

I had hoped to finish this harness up and start on the switch harness today, but on top of this I am also in the middle of a bathroom demolition. Today I accidentally applied dawn dish soap to my toothbrush instead of toothpaste. As a result I am kind of thinking I should finish that drywall today

Sometimes the universe is looking out for you.

#161 6 years ago
Quoted from AndHart120:

No they didn’t. They said if there was a silver available they’d have offered an exchange (I’ve already installed all the underside components so I wouldn’t do it anyway) otherwise all they have left are bronze which are the worst of the run and they know I wouldn’t want one of those. I thought maybe I’d get something back but couldn’t even get an apology.
I just sent back a message that said thanks for the info just thought I’d ask. I guess I should have responded differently but I didn’t want to get another message back I wouldn’t be happy with.

I will absolutely file a complaint with paypal if they don't offer some type of financial compensation. These guys produce a good product, and it would seem absolutely absurd to ding your reputation simply because you can't suck it up and admit your mistake and make it right.

#162 6 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

To be fair, a good bit of these hiccups were a result of Williams inaccurate measurements.

Interestingly enough, I was looking thru my tear down pix and my guides appear to be a different length than yours. I haven't gotten back to working on mine lately, so I have not fitted them yet.

+IMG_5774 (resized).JPG+IMG_5774 (resized).JPG

#163 6 years ago

This was how mine originally looked, but given the way the holes were drilled I had to grind a little off and then slide up and back. I couldn't get it to fit otherwise.

IMG_9156 (resized).jpgIMG_9156 (resized).jpg

#164 6 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

This was how mine originally looked,

Damn, then it looks like I will run into the same issue. But on a positive note, it looks like grinding them down did the trick and it still looks good.

#165 6 years ago
Quoted from Dante:

Damn, then it looks like I will run into the same issue. But on a positive note, it looks like grinding them down did the trick and it still looks good.

See how it goes with the slots, I also gave it a slight bend. If that doesn't worn take a shave off with the grinder. That entire area was a hot mess.

#166 6 years ago

I just finishised mine,it is a gold and not drilled or dimpled. There who a few very faint dimple marks on bottom but the few I could see were off. Problems I encountered were;paint chipping,also had to trim end of two metal raceways to get them to fit,had two screws break off because I didn't drill holes deep enough.Recomendend by Kruzman ,get diamond drummel bit to cut paint back from drilled holes or you will get chipping of paint and lifting of clear. I would also not drill all the holes for ramp lift mechanisms until everything is assembeld and checked for binding

#167 6 years ago
Quoted from pintime:

I just finishised mine,it is a gold and not drilled or dimpled. There who a few very faint dimple marks on bottom but the few I could see were off. Problems I encountered were;paint chipping,also had to trim end of two metal raceways to get them to fit,had two screws break off because I didn't drill holes deep enough.Recomendend by Kruzman ,get diamond drummel bit to cut paint back from drilled holes or you will get chipping of paint and lifting of clear. I would also not drill all the holes for ramp lift mechanisms until everything is assembeld and checked for binding

Congrats on finishing and thanks for the info, I greatly appreciate it.

#168 6 years ago

Great job! Following this

#169 6 years ago

Got the drywall in the bathroom hung and taped. Yes, I know the frame for the window should have been removed, but the shower wall is actually installed over the window frame out of frame. Got to love old homes that aren't square and have decades of shotty repairs.

With that out of the way (for now) it's time to get back to this salty lass. I double and tripled checked my lighting harness placement and everything checks out A-OK. I am debating installing the PF in the cab now and running the light test. I think I can probably hold off and do a test cycle after I install the switch harness.

We have another big storm coming in tonight so tomorrow will be another work on the PF day. I still need to get the pop bumper lights situated (ick) and I am hoping to get that switch harness in place and maybe run a test cycle.

unnamed-3 (resized).jpgunnamed-3 (resized).jpg

unnamed-7 (resized).jpgunnamed-7 (resized).jpg

#170 6 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

I am debating installing the PF in the cab now and running the light test.

Do you not have a rotisserie? You can leave the pf on that and connect the harnesses to the cab. Makes testing & troubleshooting a breeze.

If you don't have a rotisserie, I can assure you that building one would be the cheapest, quickest, and easiest thing you could do in this thread. I designed one that cost just $50 and is sturdy and collapsible for storage, it even got a Vid endorsement in his own thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-awesome-50-diy-rotisserie-or-rotezel

#171 6 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Do you not have a rotisserie? You can leave the pf on that and connect the harnesses to the cab. Makes testing & troubleshooting a breeze.
If you don't have a rotisserie, I can assure you that building one would be the cheapest, quickest, and easiest thing you could do in this thread. I designed one that cost just $50 and is sturdy and collapsible for storage, it even got a Vid endorsement in his own thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-awesome-50-diy-rotisserie-or-rotezel

Oh that's a sweet rig. I had one that I built off of the PinballMike's plans. The height was just off for me and bothered my back so I got rid of it. I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on a tabletop version or building one. I just haven't gotten around to it.

#172 6 years ago

It’s definitely worthwhile to test the lamps and switches as a subsystem once you have them in. I found a bunch of issues when I did this, and it’s easier to fix them before you repopulate everything else.

#173 6 years ago

Not to hijack the OP's thread, but since I griped about it here and believe in giving credit where due, I figured I should update that I did contact CPR about my concerns with this pf release and the defects on mine, and Kevin sent a very thorough reply addressing the issues and volunteered an offer I found to be quite fair. So good on CPR for working with their customers! As far as the shooter lane goes, he said the shortened version was a deliberate choice so as to not interfere with the paint in the lane. Which I guess I can understand, but I suggested they should have been up front about that... after all, folks have nitpicked far more idiosyncratic details on pfs (see TAF colors, etc)

#174 6 years ago

Are there any ideas for helping out the shooter lane? I did notice that no shot is consistant and I’d assume it’s because of this.

#175 6 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Not to hijack the OP's thread, but since I griped about it here and believe in giving credit where due, I figured I should update that I did contact CPR about my concerns with this pf release and the defects on mine, and Kevin sent a very thorough reply addressing the issues and volunteered an offer I found to be quite fair. So good on CPR for working with their customers! As far as the shooter lane goes, he said the shortened version was a deliberate choice so as to not interfere with the paint in the lane. Which I guess I can understand, but I suggested they should have been up front about that... after all, folks have nitpicked far more idiosyncratic details on pfs (see TAF colors, etc)

Glad to hear that you guys worked something out.

#176 6 years ago

I can say that I had a similar experience. Kevin was very professional and thorough with his response to my queries about the dimples etc.

#177 6 years ago

Hey Nerdygrrl,

I started my swap today and thought I would share a few pics. Even on the factory field the holes for the guide and the post are way too close together. When I went to remove my post and guide it started tearing up the hole, delaminating the playfield:

20180325_133923 (resized).jpg20180325_133923 (resized).jpg

You can also see how the ball guide is pushing the post to the side. I think your fix of grinding down the end of the guide is perfectly acceptable. Also, comparing the holes between the CPR field and the original, the CPR field has the holes spaced ever so slightly farther apart believe it or not:

Original:

20180325_140959 (resized).jpg20180325_140959 (resized).jpg

CPR:

20180325_140734 (resized).jpg20180325_140734 (resized).jpg

I re-drilled my holes with a 3/16" bit to remove some of the clear that had fallen into the hole and the guides go in very smoothly without tearing the edge of the holes up, with the exception of this one hole:

20180325_142854 (resized).jpg20180325_142854 (resized).jpg

#178 6 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

Hey Nerdygrrl,
I started my swap today and thought I would share a few pics. Even on the factory field the holes for the guide and the post are way too close together. When I went to remove my post and guide it started tearing up the hole, delaminating the playfield:

You can also see how the ball guide is pushing the post to the side. I think your fix of grinding down the end of the guide is perfectly acceptable. Also, comparing the holes between the CPR field and the original, the CPR field has the holes spaced ever so slightly farther apart believe it or not:
Original:

CPR:

I re-drilled my holes with a 3/16" bit to remove some of the clear that had fallen into the hole and the guides go in very smoothly without tearing the edge of the holes up, with the exception of this one hole:

Yeah, that spot is a train wreck, before grinding see if you can give a slight bend to the inner guide and slide its hole down a bit and the post's hole up a bit. You may be able to get it to fit.

2 weeks later
#179 6 years ago

I got my switches in from Australia and I am taking some bits to Boston next week. Pinballmike217 is going to help me with some riveting. Once that happens it will be full steam ahead again.

1 week later
#180 6 years ago

Major thanks to the local pinball restoration legend and all around awesome guy Pinballmike217 With the ramps riveted and outstanding switches in, I hop to get the switch harness installed this week.

unnamed-7 (resized).jpgunnamed-7 (resized).jpg

#181 6 years ago
Quoted from AndHart120:

they would of heard from me everyday all day, till i got a refund or a new playfield!!! No excuse for this kind of customer service.

1 month later
#182 5 years ago

So how is the swap coming?

I am still working on mine Hoping for some inspiration.

#183 5 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

So how is the swap coming?
I am still working on mine Hoping for some inspiration.

Ha, I keep trying to motivate myself to get back on the horse. The playfield just took all of the joy out of the process. I've been doing some vid restorations instead. Maybe this week, I'll install the switch harness.

1 week later
#184 5 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Ha, I keep trying to motivate myself to get back on the horse. The playfield just took all of the joy out of the process. I've been doing some vid restorations instead. Maybe this week, I'll install the switch harness.

I definitely understand. This has been the hardest swap I have done so far. The playfield was missing 50 holes on the topside that had to be drilled and although there were a few dimples present underneath, none of them were correct. It was a challenge but I can say this new field is so much nicer than my old field. I just finished mine this weekend.

So here is some inspiration for you

20180603_200906 (resized).jpg20180603_200906 (resized).jpg
20180603_201439 (resized).jpg20180603_201439 (resized).jpg

#185 5 years ago

That looks slick. Very nice work.

#186 5 years ago

Beautiful job. You should be proud.

#187 5 years ago

Gorgeous! Beautiful work.

3 weeks later
#189 5 years ago

I had planned to pull this out and get started again, but then I heard Micro AKA Highclasspinball announced that he/they will be doing a run of Whirlwind PF's. Part of me is seriously debating stripping this down and listing it for sale and grabbing one from him. I don't think that I will ever be happy with the quality of this PF so I am not sure it's worth going through the rest of the re-population. I am going to give it some more thought and decide within the next week or so.

On an aside, I grabbed a Black Knight last week and have been plugging away on that: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nerdygrrl-gets-knighted

#190 5 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

I had planned to pull this out and get started again, but then I heard Micro AKA highclasspinball announced that he/they will be doing a run of Whirlwind PF's. Part of me is seriously debating stripping this down and listing it for sale and grabbing one from him. I don't think that I will ever be happy with the quality of this PF so I am not sure it's worth going through the rest of the re-population. I am going to give it some more thought and decide within the next week or so.
On an aside, I grabbed a Black Knight last week and have been plugging away on that: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nerdygrrl-gets-knighted

You’ve put a lot of work into this and if you’re going to invest that much time and energy, you should be totally satisfied with the output and outcome. If I were you, I would do the same FWIW.

Marc

#191 5 years ago

I'd put my money on Mirco over CPR any day. There have just been too many f ups from CPR and I rarely hear of anything major wrong with Mirco stuff. I'd be tempted to do the same thing with my CPR and get a Mirco also. Especially since he cranks crap out left and right and CPR takes half a decade to get some stuff done. Im afraid to start my swap now. I am curious to know how first run people have faired with their playfields.

#192 5 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

I'd put my money on Mirco over CPR any day. There have just been too many f ups from CPR and I rarely hear of anything major wrong with Mirco stuff. I'd be tempted to do the same thing with my CPR and get a Mirco also. Especially since he cranks crap out left and right and CPR takes half a decade to get some stuff done. Im afraid to start my swap now. I am curious to know how first run people have faired with their playfields.

My friend in RI did a couple of swaps with the first run and did not have any of the problems I and others have had with the second. They looked and came out great. Pretty hearty compared to this run.

I noticed quite a few WW F'a have been coming up for sale at cost. My guess is most people are jumping ship.

#193 5 years ago

My playfield looks really amazing to be honest, but what scares me is the fit between playfields and the clearcoat cracking. After seeing that pic of the person who swapped and had that round middle target get hammered and clear chipped I cringed. I also love that Mirco actually drills out the pop nail areas and cleans the playfields up so they are truly ready to go. His clear is done by robot also so you are going to get consistency across the board. Ive been waiting for a Sorcerer playfield and CPR has had it on the list for years. Mirco may run them after summer. I can keep my fingers crossed.

#194 5 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

My playfield looks really amazing to be honest, but what scares me is the fit between playfields and the clearcoat cracking. After seeing that pic of the person who swapped and had that round middle target get hammered and clear chipped I cringed. I also love that Mirco actually drills out the pop nail areas and cleans the playfields up so they are truly ready to go. His clear is done by robot also so you are going to get consistency across the board. Ive been waiting for a Sorcerer playfield and CPR has had it on the list for years. Mirco may run them after summer. I can keep my fingers crossed.

Yup, that chip is what has me worried and that is similar to what I experienced populating it. Like I have said before it was like a game of operation, I wasn't forceful, or clumsy. I went slow and steady and chips just flew.

I feel like if I take a small hit and sell this at $600 I should be ok. It's a low enough buy in that should make someone happy.

I need to drop Micro another line and get an ETA. I know he said Black Knight would be November an $999 shipped.

#195 5 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

I need to drop Micro another line and get an ETA. I know he said Black Knight would be November an $999 shipped.

I sent him a message the other day as I have a WW I’m considering swapping as well. Never done it before and I am very much a noob so I may change my mind out of fear haha. Anyways he said he thinks they will be available in October for $999 shipped.

2 months later
#196 5 years ago

Hey gang, some unexpected things came up and I have to pull the plug on this project. I have to relocate and thus buy a home, I had hoped to keep this with me, but closing costs and things....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-is-coming/page/4?hl=genjuro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.