unnamed-3 (resized).jpg
IMG_9156 (resized).jpg
+IMG_5774 (resized).JPG
unnamed-3 (resized).jpg
28685362_10156012469981271_1341639703063232361_n (resized).jpg
unnamed-9 (resized).jpg
unnamed-7 (resized).jpg
unnamed-3 (resized).jpg
There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 6 years ago

I still have the traffic jam up top to contend with. The three bits are pretty close to fitting and I am sure if I wanted to slot the post hole I could get it all to work.

ea7f89373f221b7cd3c20a2b29a4ea2fd7750508 (resized).jpgea7f89373f221b7cd3c20a2b29a4ea2fd7750508 (resized).jpg
606738b059c62565ac9ba00301f72e7d703ce90c (resized).jpg606738b059c62565ac9ba00301f72e7d703ce90c (resized).jpg

Before I do that I wanted to give these a try. This post has a slightly smaller base and others who have run into this issue recommended them. Tracking from Marco states they should be here tomorrow.

Link:http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/02-4195

large (resized).jpglarge (resized).jpg

#102 6 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

I still have the traffic jam up top to contend with

I'm betting I'm going to run into the same issue, so I will be interested in hearing how the new posts work.

I was trying to think of solutions and was wondering if one could take 1/8" off the end with a grinder or diamond bit chop saw. I know my one guide has a similar issue up by the 3rd flipper and will also need to be addressed.

#103 6 years ago
Quoted from Dante:

I'm betting I'm going to run into the same issue, so I will be interested in hearing how the new posts work.
I was trying to think of solutions and was wondering if one could take 1/8" off the end with a grinder or diamond bit chop saw. I know my one guide has a similar issue up by the 3rd flipper and will also need to be addressed.

I was wondering the same thing about the grinder and have also been thinking ahead to that flipper/guide situation too. I know that will definitely need to be addressed. After doing this swap I understand why so many rubbers break on this machine. There were so many guides that were off the mark. It's like when they did the math, they did it w/o taking the rubbers into consideration.

#104 6 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

I was wondering the same thing about the grinder and have also been thinking ahead to that flipper/guide situation too. I know that will definitely need to be addressed. After doing this swap I understand why so many rubbers break on this machine. There were so many guides that were off the mark. It's like when they did the math, they did it w/o taking the rubbers into consideration.

Did you get plastic protectors?

#105 6 years ago

Thanks for the continued updates! My field should be here mid next week. I'll be starting my own swap shortly after.

I think I will ever so slightly enlarge the holes for any ball guides that are attached with nuts underneath. Just enough that the threads don't catch on the wood.

#106 6 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

Did you get plastic protectors?

I bought the set of nine from pinbits. I wanted to place an order for some of the discs, but am having trouble with their checkout system.

Quoted from metahugh:

Thanks for the continued updates! My field should be here mid next week. I'll be starting my own swap shortly after.
I think I will ever so slightly enlarge the holes for any ball guides that are attached with nuts underneath. Just enough that the threads don't catch on the wood.

Definitely and keep in mind that the top section of the post, the flat part that is riveted measures .21 inches whereas the post itself is only .15. You don't have to enlarge all the way down, just enough to accommodate the flat part. Even then, be extremely cautious when installing and removing.

There is some clear that you can buy from the auto parts store or Kruzman that comes in a little tube. This may be worth grabbing to seal the areas that you have enlarged.

#107 6 years ago

My Marco order arrived and the smaller does make the fit a little easier. Even with it there will need to be some finagling. That being said the base measures .23 inches and the current hole is .18. It doesn't leave a lot of room, and I am not sure if over time it wouldn't dig into the PF. I put a washer down, but it stuck out and got in the way of ball movement. I am going to have to sleep on this.

unnamed-6 (resized).jpgunnamed-6 (resized).jpg
unnamed-5 (resized).jpgunnamed-5 (resized).jpg

And once again while removing the guides paint chipped. I've had dozens of machines cleared and non I and have never seen anything like this. Is this normal? Is this just because the paint was not allowed to cure properly? I don't know how anyone would be able to get through a swap without massive amounts of chips.

unnamed-8 (resized).jpgunnamed-8 (resized).jpg

#108 6 years ago

I always enlarge the holes enough so that you can remove the threaded pieces without hitting the sides. Sorry this one hasn’t been easy.

#109 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

I always enlarge the holes enough so that you can remove the threaded pieces without hitting the sides. Sorry this one hasn’t been easy.

They are fairly enlarged. In this case the guide has three posts so you have to get them all aligned so no one is resisting. I am going incredibly slow and gently with these. I am not whipping them out. I am treating them exactly like a game of operation. The tiniest bump and boom. Instead of a buzzer I get paint chips.

Perhaps I have unrealistic expectations. When I got my last PF back from Neo once I drilled I could test fit all I wanted and never saw anything like this. I've helped other friends with their PF swaps and never had this happen. Maybe we were just the outliers and got really lucky. This is all just very new and frustrating.

I am going to hit the auto store tomorrow to get a tube of clear and fit this chip back in place. I'm starting to wonder if I should break it down and send the PF out to be re-cleared/beefed up. I still have so much farther to go and the way this stuff reacting it doesn't make me too hopeful that I will get through without more casualties.

#110 6 years ago

I’ve done 2 swaps and haven’t experienced anything like this. I committed a few sins on my last swap...

Hang in there!

#111 6 years ago

If this was mine, I would simple grind back the metal guide to accommodate the post...

#112 6 years ago

FWIW I really appreciate this thread and all your info on the swap. I have a CPR WW playfield (non dimpled) sitting here waiting to be swapped. I'm learning lots from your experiences but will admit to being a bit apprehensive too, particularly given that it will be my first swap and this one seems to have "extra" hurdles to contend with.

#113 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

I’ve done 2 swaps and haven’t experienced anything like this. I committed a few sins on my last swap...
Hang in there!

Thanks. It's definitely a source of frustration and concern. I understand that structurally these are areas of weakness, but the fact that my fingernail can chip it makes me wonder.

Quoted from Freeplay40:

If this was mine, I would simple grind back the metal guide to accommodate the post...

I think that may be the best route for the traffic jam and where the ball guide and top flipper meet as well. I think Williams messed up and didn't account for the rubbers being installed when they laid this out. Far too many areas where the guides dig right into the rubbers.

Quoted from Slash:

FWIW I really appreciate this thread and all your info on the swap. I have a CPR WW playfield (non dimpled) sitting here waiting to be swapped. I'm learning lots from your experiences but will admit to being a bit apprehensive too, particularly given that it will be my first swap and this one seems to have "extra" hurdles to contend with.

Thanks. Now that I have the dimpling done and know how to improve upon it I feel pretty ok. I'm going to tweak and revise my dimpling thread a bit. I think by the time you guys start on yours it should be pretty bullet proof ad should make the process a lot easier for y'all.

#114 6 years ago

I got some more swag in yesterday. Major thanks to Freeplay40 for making these kick arse repro ramp flaps.

unnamed-9 (resized).jpgunnamed-9 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#115 6 years ago

Living-vicariously-through-your-PF-swap - BUMP!

Everything ok?

#116 6 years ago

I stopped working on it to kind of take some space and decide if I should send it out to be re-cleared. This pushed the budget for me and I don't really have another $600 to put into the PF, but may have to. I'm going to head out to a friend's place next week that has couple of their PF's to try and get a sense of if this is normal or not.

Hopefully I will be updating again soon.

#117 6 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

I stopped working on it to kind of take some space and decide if I should send it out to be re-cleared. This pushed the budget for me and I don't really have another $600 to put into the PF, but may have to. I'm going to head out to a friend's place next week that has couple of their PF's to try and get a sense of if this is normal or not.
Hopefully I will be updating again soon.

I was fine with the original clear on my CPR Taxi. I wouldn't re-clear unless there was paint or other things you did that need sealing.

2 weeks later
#118 6 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

And once again while removing the guides paint chipped. I've had dozens of machines cleared and non I and have never seen anything like this. Is this normal? Is this just because the paint was not allowed to cure properly? I don't know how anyone would be able to get through a swap without massive amounts of chips.

Don’t sweat it - I think you saw my playfield chip, in the same location. It’s invisible here, fortunately. FWIW it was the only issue I had - after that it was smooth sailing. CPR’s clear is good enough, I wouldn’t spend the $$ to reclear, especially with the progress you’ve made. I’ve probably put 500+ games on my CPR playfield and it still looks great.

#119 6 years ago

I just read this whole thread from start to finish. It makes me happy that my old thread actually helped someone, and thanks for the shout out! I’ll mention 2 things that are not in my thread that made me pull my hair out at the end:

First, that damned lift ramp. After I installed the whole long ramp, I had to fiddle with the vertical ball guides for an hour before it all worked right. So be prepared for that. Second, lining up the spinning wheels is harder than converging a color vector monitor. I think CPR aligned them just fine, but if anything is off by 1/2 millimeter a wheel will bind up somewhere. The dimples are definitely no help here. I made the mistake of waiting until I had the playfield back in the game before I tried to install and align this mechanism. Oy.

I’m kind of surprised that others don’t think this is one of the hardest playfield swaps. I did a Centaur, Black Knight, Blackout, undimpled Space Station, CSI and another I’m forgetting. This was by far the hardest and most tedious one I’ve done. Just think, when you’re done you’ll be in an exclusive club of maniacs who decided this was a good way to spend a year of vacation time.

#120 6 years ago

Thanks for the added input Swampfire. I was thinking about getting back on the horse this weekend. We shall see. Every time I look at it I think that it should go back out to be cleared.

#121 6 years ago

No harm in that - WW is worthy of a great
Playfield. Mine will go the nursing home with me.

#122 6 years ago

Let's pickup where we left off, with those dang ball guides...I decided the best way to address that traffic jam at the top was to take a little off (each end) of the inner guide. It ran into the post at the top and the rubber and post at the bottom. A little time on the bench grinder and some love with finer grain dremel bits and all was well.

I decided to just bend the guide around the top right pop. It too runs into rubbers down below, and perhaps should have been shaved a bit as well, but I decided to leave it. Only time will tell.

unnamed-3 (resized).jpgunnamed-3 (resized).jpg

unnamed-10 (resized).jpgunnamed-10 (resized).jpg

#123 6 years ago

Glad to see more updates!
Keep up the good work.

#124 6 years ago

Next up I decide to tackle the pops. First step is to install the *nails, there are a variety of methods, some just whap them in with a hammer and some pull them in from the underside by tightening. Both have their drawbacks.

I decide to give them a few taps with a hammer and that dang tool whose name I am blanking on. After I had them in a bit I applied the washer and nut and tightened until the nail was just under the PF surface. The one downside in this method is that it does tork the nails quite a bit and breaks can occur.

With the nails installed (hopefully my knuckles will be healed by spring) we can go ahead and install the base, spring, skirt and bodies.

*Remember we have already prepped the PF for these. If you haven't prepped the PF you are going to need to to that first.

unnamed-10 (resized).jpgunnamed-10 (resized).jpg

28661045_10156011312126271_4537252275300515414_n (resized).jpg28661045_10156011312126271_4537252275300515414_n (resized).jpg

#125 6 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Glad to see more updates!
Keep up the good work.

Thanks, I needed to walk away for a while. The PF was super frustrating to work with.

#126 6 years ago

While assessing some of the parts I realized that I have a busted 5647-12133-13 mircoswitch. The switch doesn't consistently pop back out. It looks like this part is pretty unobtanium. Does anyone know of a good substitute that I can use in its place?

unnamed-7 (resized).jpgunnamed-7 (resized).jpg

#127 6 years ago

Found it for you:

http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/parts-by-machine/williams-parts/whirlwind/5647-12133-13.html

Australia, but at least you’re not SOL.

Marc

#128 6 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

While assessing some of the parts I realized that I have a busted 5647-12133-13 mircoswitch. The switch doesn't consistently pop back out. It looks like this part is pretty unobtanium. Does anyone know of a good substitute that I can use in its place?

Sometimes you can pop the arm off the old microswitch body and attach it to a new microswitch body of the same size and manufacturer. Do you have any new switches that size you can try removing the arm?

#129 6 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Let's pickup where we left off, with those dang ball guides...I decided the best way to address that traffic jam at the top was to take a little off (each end) of the inner guide. It ran into the post at the top and the rubber and post at the bottom. A little time on the bench grinder and some love with finer grain dremel bits and all was well.
I decided to just bend the guide around the top right pop. It too runs into rubbers down below, and perhaps should have been shaved a bit as well, but I decided to leave it. Only time will tell.

Looking good!

Did you test that the ball will roll along that guide and pass across the top of the pops without getting deflected by that rubber at the end of the ball guide? On mine, that shot from the upper flipper can make it all the way around back to the flipper.

#130 6 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Looking good!
Did you test that the ball will roll along that guide and pass across the top of the pops without getting deflected by that rubber at the end of the ball guide? On mine, that shot from the upper flipper can make it all the way around back to the flipper.

I too was wondering about that.

Glad to see you getting back to your project. When I did a PinBot swap I had to take a couple metal health breaks. My rule became: I do these projects for fun. If it's not enjoyable, take a break and come back to it when it is.

#131 6 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Next up I decide to tackle the pops. First step is to install the *nails, there are a variety of methods, some just whap them in with a hammer and some pull them in from the underside by tightening. Both have their drawbacks.
I decide to give them a few taps with a hammer and that dang tool whose name I am blanking on. After I had them in a bit I applied the washer and nut and tightened until the nail was just under the PF surface. The one downside in this method is that it does tork the nails quite a bit and breaks can occur.
With the nails installed (hopefully my knuckles will be healed by spring) we can go ahead and install the base, spring, skirt and bodies.
*Remember we have already prepped the PF for these. If you haven't prepped the PF you are going to need to to that first.

Ouch on the broken screw. The trick is to not use a locknut, if you use a regular metal nut it won’t really torque and you can’t just draw the nail in.

#132 6 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Looking good!

I did run some tests and can get it to go around every few shots. It's not smooth.

While some of these ran into rubbers the placement of the posts and guides pretty much line up with my old one. There is not much you can do with this PF in relation to them. It's pretty obvious when Williams laid out this game they did not take into actual size of things with rubbers installed. Almost every post-guide combo are off the exact side of post or flipper rubbers. This game was littered with broken rubbers as a result.

#133 6 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

I too was wondering about that.
Glad to see you getting back to your project. When I did a PinBot swap I had to take a couple metal health breaks. My rule became: I do these projects for fun. If it's not enjoyable, take a break and come back to it when it is.

Exactly, this was supposed to be a fun reward for the crappy fall I had. At this point I just want to finish and be done with it.

#134 6 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Exactly, this was supposed to be a fun reward for the crappy fall I had. At this point I just want to finish and be done with it.

So sorry to hear.

If it is any consolation, this thread has been enjoyable to follow...so, at least you are spreading joy to randos on the internet!

#135 6 years ago
Quoted from zh2oson:

So sorry to hear.
If it is any consolation, this thread has been enjoyable to follow...so, at least you are spreading joy to randos on the internet!

Restorations bring me more joy than playing. I love doing this stuff. This has just been a salty one. I host an annual Easter BBQ every year and I am hoping to have this squared away by then. Fingers crossed those micros from Australia can get here in time.

#136 6 years ago

I ran into another little hiccup, I am going to try and grind a little off the guide and slide the post back a bit. This is another small area that has a lot going on so not too may options.

My goal for today was to get the rest of the guides and GI harness back on, but I think I need to dial that expectation back a bit. I'll probably be able to get the rest of the guides sorted, but may have to hold off on the harness until tomorrow.

#137 6 years ago

my last order from Australia for whirl wind coin door parts was 2 week delivery.......delivery cost more than the parts I needed

#138 6 years ago

Thanks for spending time to create this thread. Of note, my WW silver playfield did not come with the dimples. I have emailed Kevin @ CPR.

Anyone have a suggestion on the best bit to use? I was thinking of a forstner bit on a router with guide so that the plunge angle can be as close to 90 as possible. That being said I don't think forstner bits come in 3/32nd, anyone have a suggestion for the best type of bit to use?

#140 6 years ago
Quoted from Genjuro:

Thanks for spending time to create this thread. Of note, my WW silver playfield did not come with the dimples. I have emailed Kevin @ CPR.
Anyone have a suggestion on the best bit to use? I was thinking of a forstner bit on a router with guide so that the plunge angle can be as close to 90 as possible. That being said I don't think forstner bits come in 3/32nd, anyone have a suggestion for the best type of bit to use?

I did not like the forstner bits on this clear. It was super temperamental and chipped like crazy. I used standard bits. I did a tutorial on how to dimple, it is linked above. I would make a template and then mark your dimples with a marker, then test fit your guides, etc before doing any drilling. There was a ton of variation between my old PF and this one so my dimples weren't 100%.

Quoted from zerbam:

my last order from Australia for whirl wind coin door parts was 2 week delivery.......delivery cost more than the parts I needed

Yeah, not much you can do about international shipping. AU is up there too. I decided to grab four micros to make it "worth" the cost. I figured they may come in handy down the road for myself or another member.

#141 6 years ago

great......I will know where to find one when I need one

#142 6 years ago

Only caution on the microswitch swap, is sometimes the inner mechs will swap the NC and NO terminals. Pay attention to how it is marked internally, so that you use the proper terminals when you wire it in.

Good progress so far. You're a better (wo)man than I am! I was an early waitlist on this 2nd WW run, and while I was disappointed on the art screwup I tried to defend it. The dimples are strike two. Now I hear that the shooter lane groove is not properly cut either, and that's probably Strike 3 for me. There shouldn't be this much hassle and disappointment from a product that cost this much after a wait that long. I'm tempted to email CPR about it but it seems like getting blood from a stone, I'm not sure what they would/could do to make it right. So kudos to you for toughing it out! Maybe you'll embarrass me enough to do it after all

#143 6 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Only caution on the microswitch swap, is sometimes the inner mechs will swap the NC and NO terminals. Pay attention to how it is marked internally, so that you use the proper terminals when you wire it in.
Good progress so far. You're a better (wo)man than I am! I was an early waitlist on this 2nd WW run, and while I was disappointed on the art screwup I tried to defend it. The dimples are strike two. Now I hear that the shooter lane groove is not properly cut either, and that's probably Strike 3 for me. There shouldn't be this much hassle and disappointment from a product that cost this much after a wait that long. I'm tempted to email CPR about it but it seems like getting blood from a stone, I'm not sure what they would/could do to make it right. So kudos to you for toughing it out! Maybe you'll embarrass me enough to do it after all

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate what CPR does and I get there are different variations between PF's and other hiccups that come up along the way. That being said EVERYTHING that you just stated is basic quality control. I work for a vinyl toy designer. Every step of the design and production process we check and verify.

I don't know how you send out 50+ PF's that lack dimpling or have a screwed up shooter lane. Maybe on your first run, you make a mistake, like a shooter lane and it doesn't become apparent until folks start installing, but address that on round two. Each step in the process should be checked and verified. Do random pulls to make sure everything checks out.

#144 6 years ago

Great thread! I'm following this closely as I have a CPR Pinbot waiting for me to get the nerve to do my first swap. I also figure I want some warm weather so I can restore the cabinet in my garage. Maybe Septermber....

#145 6 years ago

I decided to tweak that top junction a bit more. I created a couple of slots and slid the post towards the top a bit more and the ball guide towards the bottom of the PF. There is now a much smoother transition.

unnamed-7 (resized).jpgunnamed-7 (resized).jpg

#146 6 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

I decided to tweak that top junction a bit more. I created a couple of slots and slid the post towards the top a bit more and the ball guide towards the bottom of the PF. There is now a much smoother transition.

Nice work.

#147 6 years ago

That looks much better! Nice job!

#148 6 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

That looks much better! Nice job!

Thanks for the heads up above. I double checked my photo and realized that the post was centered a bit more. I had to dremel out the PF a bit, there was no other way around it.

#149 6 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

That being said EVERYTHING that you just stated is basic quality control. I work for a vinyl toy designer. Every step of the design and production process we check and verify.

That's my point exactly. Whenever I'm asked to do work for someone else I get downright paranoid about every possible mistake and shortcut I might make, and when I'm anxious about it I throw myself under the bus to make sure the customer knows what's up.

What irks me is, I can understand and forgive a screw-up as it's still a bunch of humans doing the work, but CPR's attitude is far too cavalier. Like they know they're the only game in town so their $#^t can't ever stink, we should be grateful they do anything at all, take it or leave it. And we allow this to happen. I am grateful for what they do, but their attitude is quite off-putting.

Anyway, not to derail the point - excellent work on your end!

#150 6 years ago

I have a cpr playfield as well with the short shooter lane groove.
I tested it with the metal guides and don’t think this will be an issue on making the skill shots or small orbit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-is-coming/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.