• 15 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by goggleloy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

hello
I recently replaced the left ramp on my whirlwind and now the switchs on the ramp is not working. Could both switches go out at once? They were working before i took it apart.
In the book they are switches 33 and 38
any advice would be greatly appreciated
thanks

#2 5 years ago

Did you have to desolder them to take them off?

#3 5 years ago

Yes I had to only do one on the entrance to the ramp

#4 5 years ago

Double check the wiring. There's a diode there so it needs to be wired correctly.

#5 5 years ago

That ramp comes off without any desoldering, there is a clip under the playfield. Unplug and it comes right off.

That said, check to be sure you didnt wire them in reverse. I will grab a picture of the wiring on mine shortly and post it.

#6 5 years ago

Yes as Barron said double check the wiring and the diode. Also if you did kill the switch and need one I have them and diodes as well in my parts stash they are new ones from pinball life.

#7 5 years ago

Thanks guys for the advice. I checked the plug and also only had to de solder only the one to get the wires they the new ramp. I did the switch test and I held the switches down and it never registered during the test. Could it be a transitor on the board?

#8 5 years ago

Odds are that it's right in front of your eyes. Don't get too complex. That's what I would do only find out it was as simple as a bad switch

Clip the switch wires and touch them together.

#9 5 years ago

Ok I just tried that and no luck, any other suggestions? what i noticed too is that none of the switches on working on the left ramp, even the one at the end where the ball drops. Everything on the other ramp works fine.

This is so puzzling

#10 5 years ago

look at switch matrix chart. See if all the switche'S that are out are either in the same row or collumn. Possibly a broken solder joint breaking the chain

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from goggleloy:

This is so puzzling

But even more rewarding when you solve the problem.

#12 5 years ago

Look at switch matrix table do other switches in that column register in switch test? If so problem is likely wiring at replaced switch or a broken wire at one of the other switches in that column

#13 5 years ago

Thanks again guys, its the column, none of the switches work at all. So does it sound like a broken wire somewhere?
thanks

#14 5 years ago

Go into switch test. Start at first switch see if it triggers. If so move to next and so on till u find where break is. If first switch is bad follow it back to the board. Maybe the connection at board is bad or you have a blown IC chip

#15 5 years ago

Thanks everyone for the help. It was a broken with on the way back of the ramp.
thanks again

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
€ 3.70
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside