Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by wayout440
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    cabinet bottom (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

There are connectors on the interconnect board in the backbox that carry the GI power from the transformer to the game. The interconnect board is the one on the very bottom in the backbox. The GI wiring and fuses are all on the right side of that board. It's labeled showing the input from the transformer, fuses and outputs to the backbox and playfield. Those .156" headers and connectors for the GI get burned and will need replacing.
    Also, under the playfield and behind the backbox light panel is a GI relay. These relays are used to flash the GI and the .156" connectors on those get burned too causing the same lighting issues.

Most of the problems with GI can be attributed to bad IDC connectors. Use a meter to determine if the GI voltage is making it off a connector. For example, you'll have an IDC connector that you can check for voltage on the top at the little pinch pins, but you can't really tell if it is making it through the insulation and to the stranded conductor inside. From there you need to measure voltage at that wires end destination.

The AC GI circuits come off the interconnect in pairs of a solid color and a striped wire of that solid color for each branch on this series of games. For example, measuring across solid violet wire to the white/violet striped wire should reveal the GI supply voltage.

#18 5 years ago

J14 is the connector for your playfield lamps. If they are running in attract mode, unplugging J14 will kill the lamps. J3 is the input side for this circuit, coming from the CPU board. If you unplug J3, same thing - it will kill all the lamps. If you have no lamps in the first place, follow the procedure in the link below to test lamp rows and columns at the CPU connectors 1J6 and 1J7. If it is not working there, it will never get through the interconnect board. The purpose of the interconnect board is to break out the controlled lamp circuits to feed some to the playfield and some to the insert board (backbox)
    http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/index2.htm#lamp

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from RGAires:

were i have a pic of that...
    First of all i need to test this connectors (J20, J13, J14 and the input side for this circuit J3), see if they have power, attrack mode for example, if DONT i jump to test the J6 and J7 on the CPU board.. I think im correct, right?

If none of the controlled lamps are working, start with checking power at the controlled lamp power supply, see if you have +18VDC at the large cap for the bridge located lower right corner of the backbox, I think. If you have controlled lamp supply power, then test the lamp matrix connectors at the CPU board.

#22 5 years ago

Check the power coming out of the bridge for +18VDC (about 16-20VDC). If it is there, everything is good up to that point including the bridge rectifier.

Testing the bridge itself doesn't do any good unless confirming a suspected failure of that part.

#24 5 years ago

Your welcome, glad you found it!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-gi-issues?tu=wayout440 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.