Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).png
10 (resized).jpg
gap (resized).jpg
received_2665121960177732 (resized).jpeg
received_497672467504554 (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

Buddy just rebuilt flippers on a Whirlwind, says that the top flipper doesnt flip when he presses the button, but if he manually presses the EOS switch together inside the cabinet, it fires. Says if you close the upper EOS and then lower EOS, it works fine (upper flipper then bottom flipper), but not the other way around. I included a pic of the two EOS for clarity. Also included a pic after his rebuild.

Something has to be wired backwards, right?

Weird problem and poorly described but any ideas would be great.
received_497672467504554 (resized).jpegreceived_497672467504554 (resized).jpeg

received_2665121960177732 (resized).jpegreceived_2665121960177732 (resized).jpeg
#2 4 years ago

Logically, if the problem arose after rebuild it would be something to do with rebuild. The cab switches look original, and can be ruled out. The pic below is a little difficult to see because it is incomplete - flipper bat shaft isn't installed. The only thing that jumps out in the pics provided is the EOS gap. It looks like the contacts are not touching in idle (again, little difficult to see clearly). EOS design is to be closed all the time, at rest....then the switch opens when the flipper is activated and reaches max travel. If there is any gap in the EOS at rest, it will never operate.

10 (resized).jpg10 (resized).jpggap (resized).jpggap (resized).jpg
#3 4 years ago

Thanks wayout. It's strange that he says the flipper activates when he manually presses the cabinet switch together but not when the flipper button is pressed.

I'll get at it and post more pics if I am stumped (or an answer hopefully!)

#4 4 years ago

I rebuilt my flippers on my Whirlwind last month which can be read about here with a few photos. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-flipper-rebuild-question-what-am-i-doing-wrong-photo-insid

After more time, I have determined that even though they are brand new, there is a thin film of oil that comes on EOS switches that prevents contact. In my case, simply taking a paper towel and wiping the area where the EOS contacts touch each other when closed fixed my issue.

I'm not sure this is your problem, but it would take 2 minutes to check and doesn't require disassembly.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

Thanks wayout. It's strange that he says the flipper activates when he manually presses the cabinet switch together but not when the flipper button is pressed.

Make sure the inner contact on the upper flipper cab switch is actually moving in to touch the outer contact when the cab switch is pressed

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png
#6 4 years ago

Thanks for your time on this, I really checked hard on the alignment and looks like the EOS switches were the issue.

The ramp flap broke off soon thereafter, but at least those flippers are flipping!

Appreciate your time and effort all.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-flipper-rebuild-upper-flipper-issue- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.