(Topic ID: 7252)

Whirlwind, does yours kick out balls right after lock?

By soren

12 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by stangbat
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

On a Whirlwind I see 5-10% of the first ball locked being kicked out immediately. Anyone seen anything like this?

The machine goes back into the procedure with Lock lit and the discs and fan running. And no ball is ejected to shooter lane.

#2 12 years ago

Double check the three switches in the ball lock area are working consistently. May need adjusting.

#3 12 years ago

I played one this weekend that did the same thing. I can't tell you how to fix it but i imagine shanetastic is right!

#4 12 years ago

Mine has been occasionally doing this and I'm fighting it too. I've done a lot of searching on RGP and what most people report is switch #3 in the lock trough (the top one) getting triggered. When this happens the machine ejects all the balls. It could be getting triggered from misadjustment, a bad diode, or a short, etc. Other people report problems with the stand up targets at the ramp because they are in the same row and column as the lock switches. They take a beating and if a stand up is tweaked, bent, and causing a short, it can cause phantom switch triggers that eject the balls. Finally, look overall for shorts, solder splash, or gimpy wiring.

Every time I think I get mine fixed, the problem seems to eventually crop up again. I haven't been able to reproduce it consistently so I haven't been able to find the root cause of it. I hope to get a chance to dig into it again soon.

#5 12 years ago

I had the same issue with mine, Shane and Stangbat are exactly right with their diagnosis. I spent over a month continually troubleshooting and adjusting these switches thinking I had it fixed only for the issue to show up again a few days later. I finally got fed up and just replaced all the switches and diodes and haven't had a problem since.

Hope you get it fixed!

#6 12 years ago

Thanks. That makes sence, third position being detected. But I might add, that this has never been seen on the second ball lock.

I will rebuild the switches soon.

1 week later
#7 12 years ago

It was not a matter of "third" ball lock switch being closed by error, but the first ball lock switch being closed by the ball and then opened again.

The game program must maintain some logical analysis on all switches, and kick out the trough when anything flacky detected.

#8 12 years ago

Thanks for the update, soren. Mine has been acting fine lately but if it acts up again I'll have to double check the first switch and make sure it is not being opened and closed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-does-your-kick-out-balls-right-after-lock and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.