• 9 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 84 days ago by HarrieD
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 86 days ago

Hi guys! I'm new here

We picked up a mostly working Whirlwind for the lounge at work. It needs some maintenance and at least a few new bulbs. The biggest issue is the display is completely dark. Had the top open and checked + reseated all the cables to the display board, no change. They all look ok, ribbon cable has no apparent damage.

I'm completely new to pinballs (other than playing some many years ago), though I have experience with electronics and computers (also retro).

The previous owner said the display works sometimes, but flickers.

Before I dive into the machine probing around (minding high voltages, of course) I wanted to ask if there are any classic issues on these I should check for.
High voltage caps? Grounds?

Other future-proofing tips specific for these machines? (Batteries are corroded, at least needs a change - looks like no board damage from a brief inspection)

#2 86 days ago

Definitely worth checking the HV section. A quick check with a multimeter and cheap fix.

Otherwise consider an LED replacement, have an XPin in my Taxi and it works a treat.

#3 86 days ago
Quoted from SteveCooling:

reseated all the cables to the display board, no change. They all look ok

Reseating does nothing to fix bad cables, except to introduce one more lost cycle in the life of the plug.
Replacement and repinning connectors is the only reliable fix. You can meter them out for continuity, but even that won't guarantee identifying the current handling capability of a poor connection.

Quoted from SteveCooling:

Other future-proofing tips specific for these machines? (Batteries are corroded, at least needs a change - looks like no board damage from a brief inspection)

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-11-bullet-proofing-thread

#4 86 days ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Reseating does nothing to fix bad cables, except to introduce one more lost cycle in the life of the plug.

I would disagree with this a bit. If the cable itself is bad then yes, reseating won’t fix it. However I have seen a display issue fixed by simply reseating the connectors and ROMs on a Data East Hook. Cary Hardy has a YouTube video he recently posted showing this exact thing.

Reseating connectors and ROMs is not a bad idea as a first step (especially before considering completely rebuilding the connector) and I doubt that one more cycle in the connector will make any difference.

#5 86 days ago

Check R1 and R4 resistors on the power supply board.

#6 85 days ago
Quoted from Pinball_Gizzard:

I would disagree with this a bit. If the cable itself is bad then yes, reseating won’t fix it. However I have seen a display issue fixed by simply reseating the connectors and ROMs on a Data East Hook. Cary Hardy has a YouTube video he recently posted showing this exact thing.

Reseating connectors and ROMs is not a bad idea as a first step (especially before considering completely rebuilding the connector) and I doubt that one more cycle in the connector will make any difference.

You just got lucky, you didn't actually fix anything. The facts are explained here.
http://www.pinrepair.com/connect/

#7 85 days ago

fingers crossed not out gassed, but plenty of LED alternitives these days that have the same look and feel.

#8 85 days ago

Remove the display, check the display board for alkaline damage, if these are stored folded up for long periods an the batteries leak, it can leak onto that board, I'm repairing that exact issue on my Diner right now, also check solder joints for cracks!

As was mentioned check the high voltage on the power supply, and the r1 an r4

You can sometimes tell if the display glass is gassed by looking at it , however that's not full proof

If the power supply, display board check out then likely the display glass is gassed, at that point better off with an x pin led

#9 84 days ago

Other top tip: if you suspect flatcable issues, turn the connector 180 degrees at both the cpu board as the display controller.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside