(Topic ID: 115457)

Whirlwind Cointaker LED Issues (flashers, ghosting)

By cpsystem3

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hi everyone-

For my latest restoration, Whirlwind, I decided to install Cointaker LED's throughout the entire machine (I picked up their full set which includes backbox, GI, lamps and flashers). I was a bit disappointed when they arrived, there were extras of some bulbs and not enough of others. Aside from the shortages, they look really nice. I need to order a few (or email cointaker) to complete the set, but that's not what this thread is about

Issue #1 - The four flashers along the main ramp flash when the flippers or slingshots are engaged. None of the other flashers have flickering. I've read about this on other Williams machines, and the usual recommended fixes do not seem to apply (unless I'm overlooking what to do). Suggestions?

Issue #2 - Even though I purchased "no ghost" LED's, a handful of the inserts are still ghosting. What are my options to remedy? I'm aware of the LED OCD solution, are there any other options? Should I try replacing with different no-ghost LED's?

Its also worth noting this machine is a fresh rebuild. I installed a CPR playfield, plastics, ramps... rebuilt and re wrapped all of the coil assemblies, new switches etc. Its crossed my mind that something may have been mis-wired as I removed all three main harnesses and ultrasonic cleaned them before re-installing.

Thanks for any tips.
Bill

#2 9 years ago

Williams multiplex the solenoids/flashers there is a relay that switches the bus voltage left or right side (A or C side). Sounds like the flashers are not wired right and getting bus voltage all the time when it should be switching. All the flashers on the C side should be common bus, but the non multiplex flashers will have a different bus. These where mixed up in my f14.

See if all of your ghosting lamps are associated with a single row or column. If so you can try a new transistor. I have seen some transistors in the lamp circuits that do no switch on and off fast enough and makes ghosting more apparent when using leds. I use a time warp to test driver boards, and each one behaves slightly different than each other when it comes to the ghosting of inserts.

#3 9 years ago

System 11's are known to do this with the flashers - theres not really much you can do IME

#4 9 years ago

There is a fix for the flippers flashing certain flashers. You remove diodes from the driver board and add them to the solenoids instead.

I'll try to find the exact post and post back here, there should be something on the whirlwind owners club thread.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-cointaker-led-issues-flashers-ghosting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.