Topic Stats

• 3,035 posts
  • 328 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by yaksplat
  • Topic is favorited by 154 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 825 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

E6EC59DD-2570-4E9A-A0B8-2FB9B802EAD1 (resized).jpeg
11416D40-0336-437C-BFA0-CCF26EE18026 (resized).png
20190916_092115 (resized).jpg
20190915_113212 (resized).jpg
20190914_125843 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
ww (resized).PNG
E348C22F-3340-44CC-8858-0AE8241F6FF5 (resized).jpeg
0D98A271-7F16-46C3-B201-08B502057E6B (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190912_203457 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Untitled (resized).jpg
image1 (resized).jpg
DSCN4234 (resized).jpg (© Nutty 5.0)
DSCN4646 (resized).JPG (© Nutty 5.0)
whw (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#459 4 years ago

Just joined the club last night, haven't even got a chance to set it up (but played it before packing up)

Quoted from hassellcastle:

Any source of where i could find the plastic above the skill shot (above 3 drop target bank). At one time Alan Meyer repro'd these many years ago. It is the only piece broke on my playfield. I hate to have to buy an entire set for just 1 piece.

http://www.pinballcenter.eu/catalog/whirlwind-plastic-3110065746-p-4262.html?language=english

3 weeks later
#484 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

I am trying to shop a Whirlwind i just picked up and can't find an easy way to access the fasteners on the ramps and plastics on the top of the playfield

Put a towel on the lockdown bar area of your cabinet, slide playfield towards you a little, let the coils rest on the towel. About the only way you can access without taking the playfield out entirely.
Make sure you check for any loose wires before and after.

#501 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

anyone had any luck cleaning/polishing the topper with novus as opposed to repainting it?

yellowing is usually caused by the flame retardant leaking out of the plastic after so many years. Do a search for "retrobrite", there's even youtube videos how to make it. Can remove most of the yellowing, but I'm not sure if that has any effect on the integrity of the plastic.

1 month later
#527 4 years ago

20150105_204750.jpg20150105_204754.jpg20150105_204757.jpg20150105_204805.jpg20150105_204809.jpg20150105_204813.jpg20150105_204745.jpg20150105_204741.jpg

#530 4 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

I was never close to this back in the day

back in the day (when I was 16), I was happy if I got the fan to spin

#539 4 years ago

DM ought to be worth more than WW (widebody, DMD, tons of ramps, lots of great modes), but unfortunately the market disagrees. An average DM is worth $1800 all day long, a WW is more like $2400. Hence why nobody will pry mine from my cold dead hand now that I own one, it's ridiculous how high the value has gone up. It's approaching funhouse money.

3 weeks later
#577 4 years ago

So I made some sideboard decals for EATPM in the past that turned out pretty good:
eatpm_sideboard_decals.jpg

Decided to do the same for whirlwind. Here's a photoshop of it installed:
whirlwind_sideboard_decals.jpg

Who'd be interested? Looking at about $30/set plus shipping.

2 months later
#665 4 years ago

Ok, I did a test print for my "realistic" version of the side decals
P1040123.JPG

Let me know if it needs more hay flying by, or more lightning strikes. Those that contacted me I'll be PM'ing for email addresses to confirm and I'll be placing an order early this week. Again, these are effectively stickers so your cabinet needs to be non-porous (cleared).

3 weeks later
#686 4 years ago
Quoted from KingDaddy:

My upper flipper isn't going fully back all of a sudden. It works fine otherwise, but when I release it - it's sitting about a centimeter short of its resting position

Either clean / replace the coil sleeve, or see that the return spring has enough force and isn't binding against something. In fact I would manually move it with the machine off, and see how much it resists returning under the playfield.

Or there's the possibility the flipper bat isn't set at the right angle (sometimes the nut loosens). I would also try manually pushing the flipper back all the way, then tighten down the nut.

2 weeks later
#692 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I need to change some lights to a better match for the pin but otherwise she's perfect.

I'm digging the yellow and blue

1 month later
#706 4 years ago

Sideboard decals: Sorry for the delay, but I've really been struggling with the sticker material. I didn't want to just order more vinyl stickers. I mean they can work if your surface is really prepped, but I'd rather get something higher quality. I found material that I believe to be the same as pingraffix (res-positionable). It's the same stuff they use for vehicle wraps. The cost to me is $40 each, so I think I'm going to just order a couple for now (one for me, one for someone local). Once I know they work well, I'll order higher quantities (that includes any elvira decals)

1 week later
#713 4 years ago

Decals came in, they look good:
real_whirlwind_decal1.jpg
real_whirlwind_decal2.jpg

7 months later
#863 3 years ago

anyone know where I can get a replacement lift ramp? Mine just cracked off the hinge
http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=510

1 week later
#925 3 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

anyone find a close match for Whirlwind Blue in a rattle can? I have some cab touch ups to do

Even if there was, I'd imagine every cabinet has different fade. You are honestly better off getting some paint chip cards from the store and seeing which one matches the closest. You may have to paint the whole area. If you need a mask, I recommend frisket (or clear shelf liner) and an xacto knife.

There's also liquid frisket now where you paint an outline (in this case, you're trying to protect an edge), and then after you're done painting you just rub it away:

3 weeks later
#967 3 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

Does anyone know where I can find the fan topper? Looks like most places are sold out.

Blue one is available:
http://mad-amusements.com/product.php?id_product=2168

white one if you're willing to pay
http://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/spareparts/cabinet-products/toppers/whirlwind-topper.html

1 month later
#1095 3 years ago
Quoted from simplykind:

Whats the deal with the golden topper? Original? Painted?

Oh my.. clearly someone was out of white but had some gold leftover and thought that would look good. Lot of work ahead of you, but hard to balk at $1k

4 weeks later
#1209 3 years ago

Contact freeplay40, $45 for new one including flap and guide

#1215 3 years ago

Oh I hadn't seen that the mounting on the arched ramp was cracked too. I would still buy the replacement uplight ramp from freeplay. His is thicker and more likely to last.

1 month later
#1255 3 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Chris Hutchins has pictures of several Whirlwinds on his page, and none of them show the single post either.

if anyone knows what's "correct", it would certainly be Chris. His photos of teardowns are like gospel.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
11,990 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hauppauge, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Mansfield, OH
$ 399.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside