17120147714183511058491698968279 (resized).jpg
17120147133684342295711183751853 (resized).jpg
17120146816654026590663874873131 (resized).jpg
1711971576349821576825836127955.jpg
17119715507093168227299707841971.jpg
20240127_165338 (resized).jpg
20240127_165404 (resized).jpg
20240328_180122.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#258 10 years ago

Allright. I'm nearly done with My WW CPR swap! I'm at the point of tweaking everything so that it plays perfect, but the one thing I can't seem to do is get the plunger lane lined up correctly for a full plunge shot. I know in other posts I've read that a full plunge should go above the ramp and around the upper loop and return to the upper right flipper. On mine, even if I adjust the metal guide it as high as it can go I still can't get the ball to go any higher than the left ramp. It just doesn't seem to line up. It also was this way on my original playfield and I used the same guides/holes in the siderails to install the rails. Can someone look at and compare my pics with their own to see if something is off? I compared mine to the pics on HEP's website and they look pretty much spot on to his. Mine is the top pic and HEP's is the bottom one. The angles/physics of the shot just don't seem to line-up with that green loop lane on either? -It just seems to be way too high? thanks!
Mike

wwplunge.jpgwwplunge.jpg wwplungeHEP.jpgwwplungeHEP.jpg
#259 10 years ago

Here's one more shot of my game

wwloop.jpgwwloop.jpg
#264 10 years ago

Thanks guys. I actually took the post rubber (below the UR flipper) off last night to see if it would make a difference and it did not... It sounds like the next step is adjusting the plunger assembly to see if that will make a difference. I still think the metal guide just flat out doesn't look like it's supposed to line up for the orbit shot. I may have to take the rail off and see if I can modify the geometry of it at all to make it work?

Ran, Let me know if you want to stop by one of these nights after work for a little bit to check it out. The game is fully playing now and it wouldn't hurt to have an extra set of eyes and also someone that is very familiar with the game to help me dial in the last couple of adjustments.

thanks,
Mike

#265 10 years ago

Another question? Anyone know where to get nice custom cards for Whirlwind? I usually download cards of Pinzach's site but the Whirlwind cards don't appear to be loading anymore? I have a good photo printer/paper at home, so I just need the files. thanks!

#268 10 years ago
Quoted from shanetastic:

I think I have some nice ones if you can't find them. PM me your email address.

Thanks, and PM Sent!

#271 10 years ago

If you could send me the 3 ball version that would be great! - My editing skills aren't the best and it would save me some time

#274 10 years ago

Thanks Zippy! Between you and Shanetastic I'm now good to go on cards.

#275 10 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Allright. I'm nearly done with My WW CPR swap! I'm at the point of tweaking everything so that it plays perfect, but the one thing I can't seem to do is get the plunger lane lined up correctly for a full plunge shot. I know in other posts I've read that a full plunge should go above the ramp and around the upper loop and return to the upper right flipper. On mine, even if I adjust the metal guide it as high as it can go I still can't get the ball to go any higher than the left ramp. It just doesn't seem to line up. It also was this way on my original playfield and I used the same guides/holes in the siderails to install the rails. Can someone look at and compare my pics with their own to see if something is off? I compared mine to the pics on HEP's website and they look pretty much spot on to his. Mine is the top pic and HEP's is the bottom one. The angles/physics of the shot just don't seem to line-up with that green loop lane on either? -It just seems to be way too high? thanks!
Mike

wwplunge.jpg 134 KB

wwplungeHEP.jpg 59 KB

Ranhorton stopped by last night and we figured out the shooter lane issue as to why it wasn't launching around the orbit. It was simply an adjustment to the inner-most shooter lane guide rail. I should have taken pictures but basically we took the rail out of the machine and gave it a bit of a bend near the top of the rail towards the outside rail (to the right) to line up closer to the orange line on the shooter lane. All the adjustments I made prior were to the outside rail using the screw adjustment which didn't correct my problem.

Just thought I'd post this in case others were having issues. In summary try to get your rails to line up as close as possible to the orange/white border on the lane.

1 week later
#290 10 years ago

Does anyone else have any issue with the flasher sockets falling out on new Pinballinc ramps due to vibration when playing? I even tried new clear lamp sockets and a couple of these keep popping out during gameplay. I think it's probably due to the thicker ramps, but it would be nice to find a solution so I don't have to keep snapping these back in between games.

1 week later
#301 9 years ago
Quoted from dozer1:

Count me in please. OK, I recently picked up a pretty decent Whirlwind, but somebody robbed the topper. I have already ordered what I could, which is the cloud with decals, fan motor, fan blade. I know at least there is a motor mount that probably will need to be fabricated. Anything else to it? I see a 2 lead plug dangling in the back box. (by back box key) Is that all of the electrics to it? Great pin!

DSCF4437.JPG 377 KB

The only other things would be the triac board (on the inside top of backbox) if it isn't there, as well as fabricating a motor bracket and a cable to run to the motor. I bought 2 of the following L brackets to mount my motor and bent them at the proper angle). I figure this will work until someone fabricates or remakes the original motor mount.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GMYGMKA/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

#304 9 years ago
Quoted from dozer1:

Thanks treveism. Yep I looked under there and seen where the triac board once was. Rascals...so is that 2 lead plug the only thing that feeds the triac board? (then like you said a cable from the triac board to the motor) I do appreciate the link for the L brackets, but bracket fab will not be a prob here.

There are two connectors that feed into the triac board, and then one that goes from the triac board to the topper.

I ordered my triac board from Great Lakes Modular. pics of the board are below
http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/

If you end up fabricating a bracket that is close to the original I would be interested in buying one off you if you wouldn't mind making up an extra?

#305 9 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

CPR doesn't make ramps, I'm sure you meant Pinball Inc....

You are correct Stu, It was a slip, and I just edited my original post to reflect that. Thanks for the great CPR playfield and plastic set as well!

3 weeks later
#331 9 years ago
Quoted from shoemakesmusic:

Gameplay question: Should the right flipper be able backhand the right ramp? I've played a few WWs and they seem to vary. I was re-positioning my flippers the other night because I was getting some bounce from inlane to flipper. I got the left flipper working great and then I got the right flipper working great. But I noticed that when I moved the right flipper so that it's natural resting point was closer to the lockbar, I could no longer backhand the right ramp very easily or even at all. However, this eliminated all the bounce from inlane to flipper. So then I re-tightened the flipper to where it was slightly higher with just a smidgen of bounce and now I can backhand the right ramp easily. It makes the game much easier if this backhand is available, and even when watching the tutorial on PAPA.org Bowen mentions this. So I'm just kind of curious as to what others who own the game think. Discuss.

On my Whirlwind with a new CPR playfield and all new flipper components it's difficult to backhand the ramp using the LR flipper. My guess is that this has to do with having a fresh "unworn" coil stop in the game. Prior to swapping my playfield using the old flipper components it was an easy backhand most likely due to having a worn coil stop and longer flipper travel. I could try swapping in an old coil stop to see how much of a difference it makes.

#335 9 years ago

Are you guys able to backhand it off a trap of the LR flipper and put it under the ramp when it's up? That's what I figured he was asking about? On mine it's tough to do as you have to hit it just right. Maybe 1 out of 5.

#356 9 years ago

I think the legs are more of a personal preference thing. It seems like WPC standard legs seem to be more prevalent and that is also what HEP uses on his restores. My WW didn't have any legs when I picked it up (as a project) and I opted to put System 11 legs on just because I wanted to differentiate it from my WPC games and make it look like other Sys 11 games like BK2K which I had in my collection at the time.

6 months later
#492 9 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

I have some wear around the spinning discs. marco had a decal but the ytell me it's no longer available.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/CA-29C
I guess i might have to paint it by hand if theres no other solutions

LittleShopofGames has it:

http://www.littleshopofgames.com/Games/whirl.html

1 month later
#524 9 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

I'm almost finished with my Whirlwind, but am having problems with the bumper lighting. I must have the bumper sockets wired up incorrectly. I'm attaching a picture of how my top bumpers are wired up, and the bottom bumpers. If someone can take some good pictures of theirs and either post them or email them to me I'd really appreciate it!
The first on is the top bumpers. The second one is the lower bumpers. The only bumper that lights is the upper right bumper. All others and the cellar lights don't light up.

IMG_1610.JPG 260 KB

IMG_1611.JPG 241 KB

Did you hit the advance Jet bumper target to see if that lights any of the other bumpers? The game starts out with just one upper and one lower bumper lit.

1 year later
#942 8 years ago

Just listed my restored Whirlwind for sale in the Marketplace. Love the game but feel the need to shake up the lineup!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-whirlwind-williams-1990-1998

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-club-members-only?tu=mikes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.