17120147714183511058491698968279 (resized).jpg
17120147133684342295711183751853 (resized).jpg
17120146816654026590663874873131 (resized).jpg
1711971576349821576825836127955.jpg
17119715507093168227299707841971.jpg
20240127_165338 (resized).jpg
20240127_165404 (resized).jpg
20240328_180122.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jmountjoy111.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#669 9 years ago

I have developed a ramp up down issue of my own as of last night. I started a tech thread about it but thought I would post it here as well

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-special-solenoids-blow-fuse-on-start-up

The ramp would click several times periodically for the last couple of times I played it. However last night I lost all power to the ramp up/down mechanism as well as the upper pop bumbers. It is blowing fuse F3 on the Aux Power Board on start up. I tried it with a known working power board to ensure that a bridge or other component on that board had not failed. It blew the fuse on start up there as well. I am just looking for a starting point as I cannot stand for it to not be working. Any and all help will be appreciated.

1 week later
#673 8 years ago

I am still looking for a little assistance on this ramp up down issue. I am getting ready to order some parts and want to make sure I order enough things. The ramp up/down coil is bad. It measures around 65 ohms across. I removed it from the game and will be replacing it for sure.

However, I am not sure on the proper readings of the relay coil beside of it. It reads 5ohms. I powered the game on with the ramp up/down coil removed and the fuse still instantly blew. How do I check this relay and is there anything else that could be causing it. I cannot see any broken wires or shorted diodes. I appreciate any help that I can get.

1 month later
#695 8 years ago

I am having a problem blowing the F3 fuse on the auxiliary power board. It controls the solenoid group for the upper pops and the ramp down cool. I have checked all of the coils and they are between 3.5 and 5 ohms. I have replaced the diodes. I have tried a known working auxiliary board out of my BK2K. I have checked continuity of the wires and examined the interconnect board for burnt connectors or pins. I am struggling and really want to play the game. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate the help.

#697 8 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

I am having a problem blowing the F3 fuse on the auxiliary power board. It controls the solenoid group for the upper pops and the ramp down cool. I have checked all of the coils and they are between 3.5 and 5 ohms. I have replaced the diodes. I have tried a known working auxiliary board out of my BK2K. I have checked continuity of the wires and examined the interconnect board for burnt connectors or pins. I am struggling and really want to play the game. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate the help.

I fixed the issue. I isolated it to the left upper pop. I then checked out the tip122 transistor (q75) on the MPU. I replaced it and all is working fine again. Hopefully no one else ends up with a similar issue but maybe this will help if you do.

3 months later
#774 8 years ago

Lock switches and trough switches are usually the culprit for these issues in my experience. Mine will continuously kick the ball out of the trough with two locked and the third ball in play until I hit release. So I am assuming that either one of the lock switches is off or the trough itself has an issue. I am getting ready to do a full tear down anyways so I will figure it out then for sure.

4 months later
#884 8 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

Finally got a Whirlwind! Looks like it will clean up nicely. Seems like repro plastics are hard to find though. Anyone know if these will be re-run at some point?

I picked up a set on pinside a year ago. I'm so glad I did. I have not gotten around to it yet but looks like a wise investment now lol

#913 8 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

I won the set for $213 and paid immediately after auction ended, so I hope that it was mailed.
I'm not a big ebayer, this was my first auction in what seems like a decade. Can the seller see bids? Because I bid higher than 213 and was pleasantly surprised when it ended.

The seller cannot see your max though. Only the amount you won the auction for

1 month later
#1007 8 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Still wondering about this.

I picked up mine from Bay Area. I am not sure how rubbery though as I have all the parts for whirlwind in a box waiting on me to build a rivet press so I can install the new plastics. I am quite lazy these days

1 week later
#1052 7 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

If anyone has any use for any of this PM me. It's all new.

Pm sent

2 weeks later
#1112 7 years ago
Quoted from jahbarron:

I had great luck with Goo Gone and flour on my WW. Your fingers will definitely be raw.

Ive done several machines and I found that goo gone and flour works best. Try using pieces of an old t shirt instead of your fingers. I cut up all of my old plain white t shirts for things like this. Make sure to continue to add flour and goo gone as you go. The fresh flour is what absorbs it, otherwise you are just rubbing it off.

2 weeks later
#1149 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Awsome thanks!!

I had a feeling one of these guys would know right off where they went. I'm glad you got it figured out

8 months later
#1421 7 years ago
Quoted from codered9394:

Figured I would show my project that I purchased a couple weeks ago. Thanks to all that sold me parts that I needed to get this beast up and running. Still looking for a display and the board behind the display. I still have to fix some hacks in the wiring harness and some other small issues. This was a grail pin of mine so I'm proud that I played my first game today. Glad to be in the club!

I don't know if you're into LED displays or not but I have the blue rottendog display in mine. Used to $150 plus shipping from Keith over at ksarcade.com I'm. It sure if they are still that price. It Eliminated the high power section on the board too. I love it.

Other posts are right it's just a bad display not the MPU. They can be fixed sometimes but to me it's never worth the headache.

5 months later
#1691 6 years ago

So...... with all these CPR playfields being purchased anyone out there have a decent players grade field they are taking out and willing to sell? I could be interested in one if so. Just send me a PM and maybe we can work something out

#1693 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I'd venture to guess it'll be a little while before people start swapping out their playfields. The CPRs still need to cure for a month before you can really repopulate them.

That's why I am asking now

2 weeks later
#1755 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Dang! If only I could find a Whirlwind around here for anywhere near that in any condition.

I buy basically every non EM pinball machine for that price. Actually I'd buy any EM machine for that too. Parts alone on any machine are worth way more than $100 in most cases.

#1783 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Not sure I understand your comment??? My profile states, I live in Midlothian, VA. What country do you think that's in?

It must be marked to private cause it says unknown to us. I think there is a box to make it public or something

IMG_2260 (resized).PNGIMG_2260 (resized).PNG

#1791 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Sorry guys. I did not realize that. Just fixed it.

Lol. No need to apologize, it didn't matter to me one way or the other. It shows up now though.

1 month later
#1817 6 years ago

How much damage are you talking about? I have always had good results with simple green on cabinets but I am not sure how damaged we are talking lol. I’m my mind I think this thing looks way worse than it probably does in reality

#1826 6 years ago

I second this. I always order direct from cliff. $100 order gets you a free t shirt too lol

#1830 6 years ago
Quoted from FiatsRUs:

I did try a 50/50 solution of Simple Green. It worked OK on the side art when used in conjunction with Magic Eraser. The alcohol/ME combo worked better. Neither alcohol nor Simple Green does anything without a scrubbing assist from ME.

I dilute simple green in my ultrasonic cleaner but spray it directly onto a cabinet. It works well with smoke

1 month later
#1846 6 years ago

I agree with leaving the post. Whirlwind is one of those kick you in the teeth games without it. So many sdtm balls. It drives me crazy lol

1 week later
#1855 6 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Does the switch involved work in switch test mode? If not, look for a break in the daisy chain.

I have had that opto just go bad several times on different games. You can get them for a dollar or two at Great Plains electronics. I have a gut feeling it was just on its last legs. Test the opto in switch edge. If nothing test the continuity on the board to make sure your connections are good. Look for broken wires on the connector or cold sold on the pins. If all are good I bet the opto itself is bad

Those things have tiny lead wires and it seems that repairs made to them are always done poorly.

3 weeks later
#1894 6 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

Those look pretty nice.The ones I got were from Classic Arcade on Ebay and one of them was a eighth smaller.

I had two sets of these that were both ordered from Marco, albeit at different times, one set was what is shown above. The other was a light blue color. I kept the dark ones as the color was closer match but I didn’t even look at the size. Ugh. Now I’m going to have to go look. I have had all of this stuff sitting to go through my whirlwind for years but I can stop playing it long enough to tear the thing down. Maybe this summer lol

6 months later
#2250 5 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

Odd seeing a dark TZ next to it!

Not really. I preferred whirlwind to tz. I may be alone on that but I didn’t care for Twilight Zone after owning it. It has the worst flow ever. Just my humble opinion. Whirlwind is basically perfect.

#2256 5 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

WW better than TZ....bold statements!

It’s the fact that twilight zone is where flow came to die! I can see why twilight zone is a top 5 game for sure but, for my personal preference whirlwind is a much bette game.

1 week later
#2265 5 years ago

Honestly I’m not sure I’ve ever had a system 11 that didn’t need that portion of the interconnect board redone or had already had it done. A lot of the time the traces on the back are damaged as well from someone’s previously poor work. I would imagine all of your gi problems are on that board and it’s connectors. The plug to the left of the one in question (j9) is the power to your lower gi but I would also look at the power input (j6) as well. It’s typically fried in my experience

#2270 5 years ago
Quoted from RGAires:

Ok im going to check that connectors (J9 and J6), can you test to remove that J7 and see witch G.I lights go out?

J7 only goes to the back box insert. It has nothing to do with the lights on the playfield. I believe that j9 is probably also a little suspect if you have no gi lights on the playfield. Sometimes the connectors do not look bad but the pins on the board are bad. The heat can cause cold solder on the back of the board with kills connection and therefore the power. I would check mine for you to make sure but I am in the process of moving and my whirlwind is folded up and wrapped at the moment

6 months later
#2542 5 years ago
Quoted from supermatt:

Completing the tolls is way easier than the 3 way combo. I've finished the tolls many times but the 3 way is a rare event for me anyway. On Earthshaker I can complete tolls on more than half my games. Very similar shot but Whirlwind a little tougher to do for some reason.

It’s that ball hop for me. Both earthshakers I had were smooth to the flipper and that made that shot easier. Both Whirlwinds have a slight hop as it reaches the flipper. It throws me off bad. I need to order those lane guides that Cliffy has to see if it helps like others have said.

1 week later
#2574 5 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

I've done 2 sys 11's now. One went great but pulled insert text and decals off only.
The second went almost flawless, its freezing and pulling technique.
I did my WPC pin and had lots of insert decal and text disappear.

I’ve pulled a BK2K Mylar with hea. It wasn’t fun at all but ultimately came off ok. I pulled a Pinbot that came off with ease with the freeze method. I did a high Speed and it took me three days to get the glue off. What a PITA. Consequently, any Mylar I’ve removed from a WPC came of simply.

#2577 5 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Thank you very much.
I did notice there were a few plastics that need to be replaced. I didn’t see the ones I needed on eBay. Does anyone have these individual plastics or is it best just to buy the set from Marco? Thank you[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

All of the plastics you have pictured were just listed together on eBay in a collection. They are new. BIN $68

#2579 5 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Thank you but I’ve seen some other plastics he sold that didn’t look very good.
I may just wait and get a full set from Marco when I get close to having it all cleaned up.
Did you guys choose any colors for the posts or just kept them black?

No worries. I have bought some from him before for my T2 and I thought they were fine but I’m sure not all reproductions are the same.

#2581 5 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Do you know if he makes them himself?

I really don’t have a clue. I have no idea who the guy is I just needed those for T2 and he happened to have them. I didn’t want to buy a whole set cause I was already in the game more than I’ll get out of it lol. I think the blue on one was a little dark.

I have a cpr set for whirlwind I just am tryin to decide if I want to buy a playfield or not. Whirlwind is my favorite game of all time so I probably will

2 months later
#2762 5 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Sorry to be hijacking this thread... would much prefer to be reading and typing about how awesome this pin is, has already become my most played pin, simple game, great shots but just so brutal, with a heap of replayability!
But...
I replaced header pins on J6, J7 & J9, and replaced the J6 connector, all a big pain in the ass to do, and still the same problem [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I know you’ve probably already checked it but your f3 fuse looks really discolored on one end of the glass. Does it check good? Sometimes you have to pull them from the holder to test true. I haven’t read all that you’ve done so far but from a glance that’s one thing I noticed

1 month later
#2881 4 years ago
Quoted from pencilneck:

Some one always will. Not my pinball machine so who am I to tell some one else what they must do? The LEDs are not harming the pin, if anything, that will help it by the massive reduction in heat and electrical load so that is a win/win.
I'll do what I like because this is my money pit and you have fun with your money pit.

I could not agree with this post more. Your machine so do whatever you like. I like 2835 two SMD frosted white from comet in all my GI but it is all personal preference. GI bulbs take no time to change

3 months later
#3061 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Get some spot light sockets and reflectors to add some more light to the playfield.

I agree with grumpy. Honestly all system 11 games need spotlights added. I also add a strip in the trough to light the flippers. All new games have extra lights that the older games do not have. It helps the dark spots. I do only use white bulbs in the GI though so don’t everyone get their panties in a bunch. Lol

#3064 4 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Why ??
WhiWi is great as it is ... without the rainbow puke shitty LED !!

You realize spotlights are white light and not colored correct? Therefore they cannot be, as you like to say, "rainbow puke." Good call though on down voting people based on you not knowing what you are talking about. Congrats on being the guy to get his panties in a bunch... There is always at least one

#3067 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

Anyone have pics of a WW with some spotlights?

I don’t have one of whirlwind and mine is not accessible at the moment. Here is a pic of my Pinbot with spotlights and a trough light. No color just white light. I think all system 11 games are dark in the center. I believe that is why stern and other new manufacturers add spotlights to lots of places. Also (they are not my cup of tea so don’t crucify me for saying it) the reasons pinstadium lights are so popular.

Quoted from scampcamp:

So.... to make it brighter... would you use the super bright 4 smd's instead of the warm white for the GI.... like people usually go for?

I use 2smd cool white but to each their own. Some people are sold on incandescent lights only. At the end of the day it is your game so you should put whatever you think looks best on it.

4FED6D82-B53A-48FF-93E9-8F2DD48CF595 (resized).jpeg4FED6D82-B53A-48FF-93E9-8F2DD48CF595 (resized).jpegB769E938-54DA-4FB6-BFC1-52430E300BBE (resized).jpegB769E938-54DA-4FB6-BFC1-52430E300BBE (resized).jpeg
#3071 4 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

29 years it was great to play a Whirlwind as it is with old school bulbs.
Now we are in the days to get 21 Cent LED´s from China and every "pinballenthusiast" feels like a gamedesigner while sticking cold white lightnings in the GI and horrible colors all over the pin.
I am not as stupid and dump as you believe and I also know what you mean with spotligts .. but why ?
WhiWi is **NOT** a dark game .... play an Alien and we talk about a dark game. So there is no , rely no , need for any LED in WhiWi ... nor in GI, nor in switched lamps and nor additional lamps.
Also .. no need for stadium lights .. I am over 50 yeras old, reading newspaper with glasses ... at least I wear glasses while playing pinball but still, no need for extra lightning.
So you can put in your WhiWi wehatever LED you want ... my beauty is still on bulbs like all my pins expect the ones which came with LEDs

Times change. Pinball machines used to have all electro mechanical components. They worked just fine so I guess we should’ve left them like that. You you have fun staying in the past.

#3074 4 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

that why I call my machines all "old school" ... onliest point for china ledíng is the heat in comparison to bulbs .. but my machines are not 24 hours in a bar .. just for hours in the gameroom.

I’m going to make my point here and be done with it. You pissed on LEDs but yet you only like incandescent. So in what world did you become the only authority on games? If you want incandescent put in incandescent. If you want LED put in LED. If you want colored GI then put it in! Who am I to judge? Who are you to judge? You clearly have your own opinion on your machines so who cares what someone else puts in their machine. I think all system 11 games need LEDs and extra spotlights. You don’t. Oh well....

#3076 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

You're both wrong!

I’ll do better next time lol.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jmountjoy111.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-club-members-only?tu=jmountjoy111 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.