17120147714183511058491698968279 (resized).jpg
17120147133684342295711183751853 (resized).jpg
17120146816654026590663874873131 (resized).jpg
1711971576349821576825836127955.jpg
17119715507093168227299707841971.jpg
20240127_165338 (resized).jpg
20240127_165404 (resized).jpg
20240328_180122.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider desertt1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2122 6 years ago

The game is clearing out locked balls during regular play. Not sure that we've noticed a pattern yet. Open to suggestions. Thanks.

#2124 6 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

Does it do it when 1 ball or 2 balls are locked?

I've only noticed it putting one on the table, so I'm going to guess when one ball is locked. Not saying that is 100% accurate, but is what I've noticed.

6 months later
#2374 5 years ago

I recently acquired a WW and have been taking care of a few lingering issues. I think I'm down to the last one, but it's quite an elusive gremlin. If 1 or 2 balls are locked, it will kick them out at random from time to time. Sometimes it's every few games, sometimes it's several times per game. I have replaced the 3 lock switches and that didn't cure things. I also put 2 balls in the lock area and pressed every switch shared on the rows and column several times as well as combos of switches. Once during that exercise it kicked out the balls, but attempting to duplicate that failed after 15+ minutes of trying, so I don't think it's a switch issue.

Has anyone had this issue before and resolved it?

#2377 5 years ago
Quoted from Pugsley:

Are you still using the push on spade lugs that were original? I cut them off and soldered mine in and that cured that issue.

Yes, but I tightened the crimp if they felt looser than I was comfortable with. But you make a great point. When I first put the switches on and used the old bent wire, one of them would not let the switch unclick. When I started the first test game the kicker fired repeatedly until I powered it off. I found the issue, and fixed it by bending the wire tab a little. If there was a flaky spade connector, I can see that being an issue. I will cut them off and solder the wires on, and cross fingers.

#2382 5 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

It should feed the upper flipper at a full plunge.

If it doesn't, what should I be looking at adjusting? On a full plunge, I think mine is hitting high and rattling. On a slightly softer plunge it will make the upper loop, but because it's weaker, tends to drop down to the red pops instead of making the full orbit.

#2385 5 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

The top of the right metal guide in the plunger lane is adjustable.

Nice! I had no idea. I'll check it out and see if I can get it aiming correctly.

#2388 5 years ago

If moving from one hole to the next doesn't work, I'm guessing I will have to do a little bending.

#2392 5 years ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

Mine changes all the time. Needs to be adjusted every few months

Don’t do this, but...

5A62D484-6DC5-49F9-9E59-54AF103AD3F0 (resized).jpeg5A62D484-6DC5-49F9-9E59-54AF103AD3F0 (resized).jpeg
#2395 5 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Aright haven’t played my whirlwind in a while and just recently when I turned it on the display is completely out. What would cause this? I don’t think the display is bad, I checked all the connectors and nothing was loose. Weird

There is a .375 amp fuse for the display, isn't there? It looks super dainty, which is why I find it amusing that it is handling the highest voltage on the game.

#2403 5 years ago
Quoted from Pugsley:

Are you still using the push on spade lugs that were original? I cut them off and soldered mine in and that cured that issue.

So I was able to do this tonight and in the first game after I locked a ball it kicked it out. Taking any other suggestions as this is a great game that folks love to play, but not having it in tournaments is quite a bummer.

1 week later
#2410 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Do a switch test with the balls in the same positions, look for a incorrect switch to show up that shouldn't be there.

Just did this tonight and no dice. I did it with 2 and 3 balls in the lock area, in both switch test and edge mode. I was popping the playfield all over the place to try to force the presumably problem switch into clicking. I don't expect the banging around to activate a switch when they are most/all microswitches, but you never know.

#2413 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

This sounds to me like you need to have a ball in the trough, a ball in a certain lock and a ball in the shooter lane. In switch test all you should see is the 3 switches that are closed by the three balls. If more then 3 switches show up or an incorrect switch shows up then you have a problem. You need the let the test go thru 2 to 3 cycles to make sure the problem doesn't show up. Also is there a ramp that can be in a certain position that causes this problem.

What I see as a tricky aspect is this has happened with both one and two balls in the lock. I don't know that any of the players have had it happen with one/two balls locked and the ball in the shooter lane. Not saying it's never happened, just not a pattern we've seen. I'm also not sure the trough is a factor either, only because it has happened with 2 balls in the lock and the third ball in play. IIRC, there are 3 balls in the game, so with 2 locked there would be nothing in the trough.

This reminds me of an issue my friend had on his Baywatch. If you hit the left flipper with a ball in the shooter lane it would plunge and fail the skill shot, instead of letting you change the skill shot selection (there are 3 options). In the switch test mode if you had a ball in the shooter lane and hit the left flipper, two other switches would register (right sling and right inlane or outlane, can't remember) and those formed 4 points of a square on the DMD. It took me hours, but I eventually found that the wires were done wrong on the shooter lane switch at one point in time. The wrong legs/diode orientation were the cause and once I fixed that everything worked great.

The difference here is that I can't seem to duplicate the issue on WW, and none of my top players have noticed a pattern to give some clues. Glass off doing all sorts of combinations of switch hits won't kickout the locks. Put the glass back on, play a handful of games, and at least once the locks will kickout with no audio or display indicator of what the game thinks is happening. The most gremliniest gremlin I've run into yet while working on pins.

#2415 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

You never were specific that the third ball was in play so I just assumed that you had just locked a ball and a ball was put in the shooter lane. Sorry I assumed. Well then will you will need to lock the balls and remove the third ball and try different playfield switches until you find the issue.

Sorry about that. One test I did recently was to put one and two balls in the lock and manually put the third ball into the scoops and over every switch the game has multiple times. There were probably more switch hits per minute on that game than any typical game that has been played since the issue started. The balls were kicked out once, but when I reset the locks and focused on the switches in the area for quite a while it never kicked them out again.

What are the odds it's a connector issue on the matrix? With classic Bally games, repining connectors and replacing headers is rule number 2 behind getting rid of the battery. I have several System 11's, and I never have connector issues outside of burnt GI connectors. I'm not horribly opposed to repining the connectors with crimp and stuff in case one of the IDC crimps is flaky enough to pop up every 10-15 games (at best). I just don't like doing work that likely will cause more issues before fixing things.

#2423 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Your correct in saying that Ballys need to be repined and Williams GI is over taxed but I not inclined to replace the switch matix connectors unless there has been some corrosion on the board. I still think you have a switch wiring or bad diode problem. But you need to find the correct combination of closed switches that causes your problem.

The lock switches are on the same column, and there isn't much else on the column. I'll replace diodes on whatever else is there. I'll start doing the switches on the row of lock 1 as well, and maybe lock 2.

1 week later
#2438 5 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

where you get this material? and how it calls on english?

I’ve seen it called spring steel normally.

#2454 5 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

Cant find switch 5647-12073-08 Ball through #3 (right) any leads?

Is it just a regular microswitch? If so, get anything and pop the tab off the old one and put it on the new one.

2 months later
#2539 5 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Awesome: After having this game for almost 4 years I *finally* paid off the skyway! 102 tolls!
Lessome: so, um, yeah... when they said it plays a "little ditty"... THAT "little ditty" is *it*?!?! HA HA! At first I thought something else happened or broke and barely glanced up in time to see the message
So I've done both and to be honest I'm not sure what's easier: paying off the tollway or making the 3-way combo...

Every time somebody makes a 3-way combo during an event everyone looks over and we all celebrate a little because the sound is so cool. I have no idea if anyone local has ever done 100+ tolls, but quite sure I've ever heard the sound.

1 month later
#2656 5 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

Hi guys I am considering restoring a barn find WW. Will need a new cab and play field. My question for you all -
What parts are impossible to find or replace?
I think all the metal parts are salvageable but wondering what I am up against.
Thanks for feedback.

Do you have a thread you could link to? I'd love to watch that process. I would guess the topper might be tough, but I think recently those have been linked to for sale. So maybe nothing is all that hard to find, at least I hope that is the case.

#2658 5 years ago

Nice job on the hunt. It's a great game and will be well worth the effort to get it going again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider desertt1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-club-members-only?tu=desertt1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.