interconnect (resized).jpg
432465160_7340686755966474_7077397798256967316_n (resized).jpg
432299576_1492584684633536_6555073319600288997_n (resized).jpg
419012874_1173696690673815_6372052315181665429_n (resized).jpg
431730660_376351558550760_580083396770900881_n (resized).jpg
432294325_654003180160497_7724347182910452782_n (resized).jpg
20240316_083458 (resized).jpg
20240316_083458 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chosen_s.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1316 7 years ago

I just joined the club, but my WW is a 3 Hour Drive away , no big deal, at least it's secure. I'll try to read through the 27 pages of this thread. But before I do are there any notable things I should look for, and or modifications that I should look into seriously. Thank you

#1318 7 years ago
Quoted from stef34:

i don't know if you're able to repair some electronical things,but be sure that everything is ok with the electronics board,
after that if you're lucky look the estetic on the playfield, as worn out area, parts as the plastics cause hard to find.
if the spinning discs are working and the fan too.
Hope you ll get a ww in good shape and welcome in the club

ThNks man!
I can fix almost anything, I'll start with replacing all the problem things on the power supply and fixing the wiring that the seller told me was cut.

Are there any decals for the common wear spots before I clear coat the playfield?

#1321 7 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Pick up a Cliffy protector set

Good call

3 weeks later
#1339 7 years ago

Just joined the club Friday, I got a project that will take some time to get to, but super excited nonetheless!

2 months later
#1406 7 years ago
Quoted from thunder001:

Want to eliminate the batteries on my board. Can someone help me with finding the proper parts and instructions on how to do it? I want to go with NVRam chip? Thanks in advance.

this is a good place to start

http://www.pinitech.com/products/6264_nvram.php

1 week later
#1449 7 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

Holy crap, you have overanalyzed the crap outta this bro! All you gotta do is adjust the deflection tab on the ball guide by bending it. Yours is very likely bent to far toward the top of the PF, the angle of it should be really close to this... Just keep bending it a tad until it deflects the ball toward the shooter everytime... That is its function!

yup this.

4 months later
#1618 6 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

I too have had an issue for awhile now so I haven't been playing my WW. My pops and slings only work in test, and not during game play. Anyone ever seen this symptom before? I have verified that it is not an MPU or interconnect board issue.
What do is this pictured component control? Could it be related to my issue?

That's a relay, maybe pull it and inspect it for cold solder joints on its Connector pins, reflow solder if needed, this is just a guess of course

2 months later
#1819 6 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

It's 20 by 27 inches.1/8 thick

Clear tempered glass with no logos/etchings

5 months later
#2074 5 years ago
Quoted from AndHart120:

I made a separate post for this but I was playing my game freshly off a CPR playfield swap and noticed these two rather large chips out behind the posts. Really got me upset to see this. Anyone have this or have any ideas how to prevent this from getting worse?
I think it’s safe to say I’m not throwing out $750+ on something like this again.

Ouch!!! Dang that sucks. Maybe a washer between post and playfield??

3 months later
#2282 5 years ago
Quoted from Phesson:

Well, after multiple rounds of Whirlwind tonight, we decided to order our T-shirt’s

Ive always wanted to call that number to see what happens!

1 year later
#3436 3 years ago
Quoted from BenB:

Polarity should not matter.[quoted image]

I could be wrong.. but perhaps the polarity will direct the fan motor forwards or backwards

#3468 3 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Just put this in, what a difference!
My spinning disks were so loud, and now you can listen to them without your ears bleeding [quoted image]

Hahaha, awesome

Now you can add a shaker and siren!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
7 months later
#3974 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSwanson:

Finally got a 3 way combo. Made my son immediately stop what he was playing to listen.

Yes, but did you build a new chair while hitting that 3 way combo? I have no doubt you did.

3 months later
#4112 3 years ago
Quoted from pencilneck:

Hopefully this fixed the stupid left lane ballhop... original playfield did, CRP playfield does it as well... so I've come up with this dohicky to fix the issue.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
It seems to work pretty good:
https://i.imgur.com/MIca3mJ.mp4
This is a first draft as it were, I'll most likely go back and make another one out of black plastic. During game play you can't see it and as it is, it doesn't really stand out as you walk up to the game.

I’d take one please if you do a small run.
Please pm me if you do

1 month later
#4162 2 years ago

I’m looking for the plastic part that holds on to the flasher domes that mounts onto the ramp

Anyone have a source, or maybe 2 or 3 unbroken ones to sell me??

B4DDB22C-2636-4D11-8911-9CC109A83028 (resized).jpegB4DDB22C-2636-4D11-8911-9CC109A83028 (resized).jpeg

#4164 2 years ago

Thank you, I promise I searched Marco for at least a half hour before I posted, yikes!

3 weeks later
#4193 2 years ago
Quoted from slizzap:

Hey guys,
Anyone having abnormal "bounce" issues with the targets beside the right ramp? Both targets bounce pretty good, but my yellow NW target on the left side of the right ramp really causes the ball to bounce pretty good when hit straight on at full speed. Quite often it bounces over and lands in between the low pressure jet bumpers, once or twice it's landed inside the ramp above those bumpers, and probably a half dozen times just in the past week it's knocked the plastic light cover off the top of both cellar signs. It's happening with such frequency that I figure this must not be normal. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for how I can tweak these targets to reduce the bounciness.
I'm recently a new Whirlwind owner, received about 3 weeks ago, and this is my first pinball machine. I've already done a few repairs on my own (million ramp replacement, new opto boards, and some new lights) thanks to some really helpful information found on this site. That is to say I'm knowledgeable enough and willing to dig in where needed.
TIA!

Put new foam behind the plastic on the target
Bend target backing metal toward player
Make sure there’s a 1/8” gap between switch contacts

#4212 2 years ago
Quoted from Sciddleybop1980:

Got my dmd conversion kit coming soon. Can’t wait to try it

I want to see that!

1 year later
#4965 10 months ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

Shut up and take my money

Hmmm

Well, I’m excited there’s something new, but that trailer is meh. The characters, ummm, I hope they have a lot of personality.. I really wanna see gameplay

Can we play original whirlwind on this new software as well? Like bop2.0?

#4974 10 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I am, actually, quite honored that my downvote means this much to you and the team that developed this.

Time to be able to up vote down votes?

#5001 10 months ago

Pinball machines revolve around themes, we all know this, if you take an expert on storm chasing and show them whirlwind, they’ll have a great time. When developing ww2.0, I would have brought in Reed Timmer and brain stormed some ideas to build on, but that’s just me thinking in my own headspace.

This 2.0 fiasco could turn into something great, or not, the software can always be changed

3 weeks later
#5029 9 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

I think I’ll bondo the scratches to get them level and them try to color match. Sounds like rust oleum deep blue 2x gloss is the consensus best match. I’ll see how it comes out with a sponge brush first before I spray. I posted the area under the legs to show that the blue isn’t faded. I won’t do anything there.

Might not want to match with an existing spray…. I got great results by taking a chip off the cabinet and going to Sherwin Williams and getting a quart can of paint to use with a brush for touch ups

#5034 9 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

I’ll leave the leg wear alone but I have to do something about the f word that is scratched in the right side in the first picture I posted. It’s a really small section but I have to do something with it. Has anyone used the rust oleum deep blue? I can spray a pool of it on a piece of cardboard and use a q tip for the touch up. I have space to test it on so if it’s not great I can have sherwin try to match more closely.

use an artist brush, not a q-tip, it requires a precise tool

but, if you insist on using that spray color for the convenience, I would do this... tape off the whirlwind graphics, lightly sand the scratches in a circular pattern and spray the blue back on, several light layers will get it ship shape. good luck, let us know how it turns out!

#5040 9 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

It’s annoying and worth trying to repair. I he rust oleum deep blue isn’t close, I can mix acrylics to get a good match, the issue is leveling the scratches. They are so light in some parts that it isn’t even to the wood. It’s almost like dealing with planking. I know Kruzman uses a diluted glue mixture in a syringe to get planking to lay down. I’ve sprayed clear with some success in the past. I don’t think I can get bondo fine enough to fill it in. I’d rather not sand the whole section and spray because my chances of getting a spray match are close to zero. Interesting little problem here.

Bondo makes a red thin filler , works wonders

1 month later
#5081 8 months ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I recently joined the club with a $100 estate sale find that cleaned up great and was hoping I could get some help. Recently, my lift ramp would stop going down and I was getting the Ramp Down error. I adjusted the switch arm by bending it up as I have read in some of the threads and that did not solve the problem. I adjusted it some more and the arm broke, so replaced with a new cherry switch. Still have the issue. When I go to coil test, it will go up, but it will not pull it down. You can see the coil firing but it will not come down. I checked to see if the armature that connects to the lift ramp was binding and it is tight but still moveable. Any thoughts or suggestions on what to work on? Appreciate your help in advanced.

I think photos may be needed here

(Those estate sale peeps were sure dumb for letting that go for $100. Geez! Way to go!)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chosen_s.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-club-members-only?tu=chosen_s and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.