17120147714183511058491698968279 (resized).jpg
17120147133684342295711183751853 (resized).jpg
17120146816654026590663874873131 (resized).jpg
1711971576349821576825836127955.jpg
17119715507093168227299707841971.jpg
20240127_165338 (resized).jpg
20240127_165404 (resized).jpg
20240328_180122.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider assaultsuit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4639 1 year ago

Hello everyone, I a picked up a Whirlwind at the White Rose show a little over a month ago and I’ve been sorting through the small amount of issues with it and I am down to one issue (that I know of). The previous owner knew that the flasher bulbs he had were incorrect but I replaced with Cointaker’s 906 “Super Flashers” and I’m still getting nothing.

I used a lamp matrix test board and that looked 100% good.

Any recommendations for the next thing to check/test? Every single flasher socket (that I am aware of) stays dark during an “all lamps” test and gameplay. Solder joints that I can see all look good.

It looks like incandescent 906 bulbs from Marco are cheap enough, but is there any reason to get them or would that be a waste of time?

This is my first ever pinball so I’m learning as I go. Thank you!

#4642 1 year ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

Great first game, you will enjoy it.
Generally on pinball, flashers are mixed in with the coils. Do a coil test and track which ones flash.

Thanks! It was a game I had put a lot of time into some years back when a local place had one.

Glad to understand this. I just ran the coil test and saw nothing flash. But I may have found a lead!

Doing a C-Side Test shows Err on the C Side. The manual lists quite a few things that could be wrong, but I'm guessing it could be related to the flashers not being triggered?

#4643 1 year ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

On this generation of games, the lamp test won’t fire flash lamps. You need to go into the solenoid test for that. Do the flashers work during gameplay?

Nothing flashes during gameplay, sadly. See my previous post for more info though!

#4649 1 year ago

Thanks for the replies!

I pulled Fuse F2C and it tested fine. I’m working on testing the other items but in the meantime here are a few other pieces of information:

-I’m a dope and forgot to swap out the 6V bulbs behind the clouds. I pulled them out last night and replaced with the 906 supers from coin taker and they work correctly during a coil test and during gameplay. (Having not seen it before, the effect is pretty awesome!)

-During a coil test, when it gets to testing A side and the C side, it looks like it might be firing the same thing regardless of which side it is on. I took a video but I need to analyze it. The test moves too fast for me in real time to be sure what I’m seeing/hearing.

-To the best of my understanding the game works 100% correctly during gameplay. The ramp lifts when it’s supposed to and lowers when it should. Toll lane swaps when appropriate.

-About a week after getting the machine, the alphanumeric display went dark in the middle of a game. There had been no visible sign of degradation but I didn’t have equipment to test anything on that at the time. I installed a rottendog and it has been working fine. I read that these use less power…is there a chance a power issue either fried my original or that it wasn’t getting enough power? I bring it up in case this is a clue to a power issue.

I greatly appreciate all the help!

#4651 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

The up/down locking button on the coin door will pause the test when you lock it in the down position and repeat the solenoid/flasher that you are on until you unlock it.

This sounds like the A/C relay isn't energizing which switches power to the C side solenoids.

The original requires a +, -100 volts and the new one doesn't need this. This part of the power supply maybe bad but it won't affect the flashers.

Should I be able to hear the switch or feel the vibration of the motion from the relay itself during these tests? And if I don't, should I just go ahead and order a new one? I watched a video of a guy replace one and while not super easy, I think I can pull it off.

This is all really helpful! Thank you so much for taking the time to educate me!

#4652 1 year ago

Here is the video I made of the solenoid test

#4655 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

This video is strange because it shows that the software thinks the C side is engaged but it clearly isn't because no flashers are energizing. The flashers are only supposed to energize if there is feedback from the 4N25 for switch 12. Clearly the software thinks this is the case.

Make a quick video of the C side test.
Include (or make another video of) the active switch test. This may show switch 12 is active even though it should not be (at rest).

Before replacing the relay you should probably do some more investigation to isolate the cause. The pins of the relay are tight and you can easily damage the through holes if you don't do this carefully. I would advise not risking the board without a good reason to take that risk. But it's your board so you can do what you want.

Quoted from DumbAss:

This video is strange because it shows that the software thinks the C side is engaged but it clearly isn't because no flashers are energizing. The flashers are only supposed to energize if there is feedback from the 4N25 for switch 12. Clearly the software thinks this is the case.

Make a quick video of the C side test.
Include (or make another video of) the active switch test. This may show switch 12 is active even though it should not be (at rest).

Before replacing the relay you should probably do some more investigation to isolate the cause. The pins of the relay are tight and you can easily damage the through holes if you don't do this carefully. I would advise not risking the board without a good reason to take that risk. But it's your board so you can do what you want.

#4657 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

You did not include a video of the switch level (active switch) results. This is important in a differential diagnosis.
Let me apologize for the above post where I mention "switch 12". It's actually switch 2 (02="C Side Power A/C Relay"). WPC nomenclature is "switch 12" whereas System 11 nomenclature is "switch 2". It is switch column 1 and switch row 2. You need to report the active (on inactive) status of switch 2. Make (and post) a video of diagnostic test 6 (06 = switch levels).

You need to start doing some measuring. Without any definitive measurements you're guessing (or shotgunning). Shotgunning can work but it can also make things worse (unnecessarily replacing a component and causing more damage during that process).
All things point to a relay failure but I don't think it's as straight forward. If there is no power at 5J11-1 during C side engagement then there should be no power at 2J5-9 and therefore no power to the transmitter side of the 4N25. This means that switch 2 is NOT closed. The software will enable the drive transistor for the C side if and ONLY if switch 2 is closed. The fact the software energizes the drive transistor (causing the solenoid not the flasher to fire) means there has to be a switch 2 closure. This information is missing.

I have been trying to figure out how to test these things the last couple of days but the reality is, I don’t know what I’m doing.

Could you tell me how to test 5J11-1 and 2J5-9 correctly? I know where they are, but specifically where should I ground for accurate readings, and am I looking to hold the positive lead on the metal tab of the wire harness (connected to the pin) while the coil test is cycling?

Next, in order to test the 4N25 is that testing the diodes? I have tested every diode I could find on the auxiliary power board, main power, and MPU and I can only assume I’m doing something wrong because about 2/3 of them all are showing voltage going in both directions. Wouldn’t I have more problems if that’s true?

I am using a Fluke 101.

If it is not obvious, the lower drop target is in the down position in this video.

I am grateful for all the help!

#4659 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

I applaud you for stating this. I have seen many times before where someone posting for help doesn't understand but simply doesn't want to admit they don't understand. So what do they do? Ignore the advice and get nowhere. Plenty of examples of this on this forum.

You are very kind to help me out and I thank you for it!

Quoted from DumbAss:

Set the DMM to DC voltage (V with straight bar above not wavy bar). Attach black lead to any ground point. This can be the ground braid for ease. Insert red lead to contact the metal in the connector at 5J11-1 and 2J5-9. Note that you will not get a reading of 25V while the A side is active. You will only get the 25V reading when the C side is active. Go to the C side test and when the C side is active look at the DMM. You should be able to hold the C side active by latching (depressing) the auto/manual switch when the C side is active.

On both 5J11-1 and 2J5-9 I am getting a reading of .680 on both A and C sides of the test.

Quoted from DumbAss:

Do the test without any connectors connected. This isolates as much as possible. If you leave connectors connected you can get interference.
See https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Williams_System_9_-_11#4N25_Opto_Couplers_in_the_Switch_Matrix for information on testing the 4N25.

THANK YOU for this! I finally understood what diode testing means after reviewing this and comparing to similar examples. I pulled the interconnect board out of the backbox (taking 6 different photos before pulling connectors) and tested the 4N25 at U1 like how your link illustrated, and U2 & U3 as well to compare the readings if nothing else:

U1
pins 1 & 2 .984
pins 5 & 6 .680
pins 4 & 6 .688

U2
pins 1 & 2 .990
pins 5 & 6 .675
pins 4 & 6 .687

U3
pins 1 & 2 .990
pins 5 & 6 .677
pins 4 & 6 .687

Pretty similar values...but I don't know what correct values are for this.

Quoted from DumbAss:

Now that's weird. I was expecting to see switch 02 closed. The software needs to see C side engagement before energizing the drive transistor. You may need to run the switch edge test (07) and ground the A/C select drive transistor and see if the switch (02) registers. This seems more unlikely to be the cause of the problem but it doesn't hurt to verify it is working correctly (i.e. the switch closes when you ground A/C select drive transistor).

Apologies, but I do not understand how to ground the A/C select drive transistor...and I'm still foggy on what the drive transistor is.

#4663 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Please don't take this the wrong way but a control must be established.

Measure the voltage at 5J11-8,9,10 (any of those pins). It should read +25V (this is nominal so it may read up to +40V).
Measure the voltage at 5J11-4,5 (any of those pins). It should read +25V when the A side is selected and 0V when the C side is selected.
You already tested the voltage at 5J11-1,2 as above.

The purpose of this is to establish that you are measuring correctly and the system is working the way it is supposed to be working. You measure known good parts of the system to get correct results to verify this. If you aren't measuring correctly all your results are meaningless. You also cannot determine if something is wrong if you don't know the (presumed) working parts of the system are correct.

All the results are the same between components and the values are in acceptable range. This is something that is useful as a guide. If you are testing identical circuits and you test them identically then they should measure identical. If one of them does not measure identically to the others then you have a good reason to believe that circuit has a problem. In those circumstances, you don't necessarily need to know what a correct value is. It is the difference that gives it away.

My viewpoint is that everything you write is donating your time and I value that very much.

I tested each pin on both the 5J11 and 2J5 for A and C values. I present the following:

5J11 A / C
(1) .693 / .690
(2) .693 / .690 no wire
(3) 0 / .005 no wire
(4) 44.5 / 43.84
(5) 43.09 / 43.81 no wire
(6) 0 / 0
(7) 0 / 0
(8) 43.3 / 43.93
(9) 43.33 / 43.93
(10)43.34 / 43.96 no wire
(11)43.32 / 43.93
(12)43.3 / 43.97 no wire

2J5 A / C
(1) 46.53 / 46.6
(2) 77.2 / 77.2
(3) 77.2 / 77.2
(4) 0 / 0
(5) 0 / 0
(6) 0 / 0
(7) 0 / 0 no wire
(8) 46.49 / 46.73
(9) .691 / .693
(10) 77.3 / 77.0
(11) 77.3 / 77.0
(12) 46.3 / 46.7

Quoted from DumbAss:

The drive transistor is the TIP102 (or TIP122) on the CPU board. It is a TO-220 package.
To ground an NPN transistor, you get an alligator clip and attach one end to the tab of the NPN transistor and momentarily touch the other end of the alligator clip to ground (such as ground braid or the side rail). This momentarily grounds the drive transistor and the corresponding solenoid should energize. You can do this with any of the NPN transistors on the CPU board (not the PNP transistors on the Auxiliary Power board).
To verify you are doing this correctly, first ground:

Q6 (solenoid 16): this should cause the lower playfield and backbox GI to blink (you should hear the relay "click").

Check, yes I can verify that happened as it should!

Quoted from DumbAss:

Q16 (solenoid 11): this should cause the upper playfield GI to link (again you should hear the relay "click").

Check, yes I can verify that happened as it should!

Quoted from DumbAss:

Q8 (solenoid 12): this should cause the A/C select relay to energize (the Auxiliary Power board relay should "click").

Nothing

Quoted from DumbAss:

Once you've done this and feel confident then you can proceed to diagnostic test 07 (switch edges) and ground Q8. The switch test should register switch 2.

On TEST 07, again nothing.

I probably should have mentioned at some point earlier, but my MPU (CPU? I've seen both I think) is not original to this game, but it is an original Williams board. The guy I bought it from told me the original board had extensive battery acid damage and he got a replacement board from another Williams System 11 game (unknown game) that "had more features than Whirlwind used." This board also clearly had battery acid damage that was cleaned up, but there are traces that look suspect to my naked eye. I've attached a picture of what looks to be the more noticeable curiosity.

I also noticed that the left most yellow bumped causes the backglass lighting to blink when hit. Is that normal?

IMG_1180 (resized).JPGIMG_1180 (resized).JPG
#4666 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Can you measure the voltage on the metal tab of Q-8.

I'll do that tonight when I get home. Would I test it the same way I've been testing the voltage on the pins?

#4667 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

You are very welcome to the help. You respond with the information requested and organize (present) the information in a simple manner. It's much more than I could ever ask for when trying to help someone. As previously mentioned I've seen people ignore the advice given when asking for help.
I also see people who can't organize their thoughts or desperately try to "get help fast" by posting requests across multiple threads and expect instantaneous responses. I ignore these people and stop helping them.

5J11:

25V C side
Same as 1
Key
25V A side
Same as 4
GND (ground)
Same as 6
25V Fixed
Same as 9
Same as 10
25V Select (selected by W4)
Same as 11

Your results above are expected except for two things.

The 25V C side is absent
The A/C voltage does not switch (25V A side solenoid power remains available when it is supposed to be switched out)

Everything points to the A/C relay not working properly. What I am still having trouble understanding is why the software still tries to energize the solenoid (flasher) even when it switches to the C side but does not get the feedback from the 4N25.

I agree that you should measure this. It should read +25V (or in your case it will probably read in the +40V range). If it does read +25V then do a diode test on the transistor. This is an NPN transistor.

Should I need to remove all the cable connectors to get accurate readings?

Quoted from DumbAss:

Whirlwind used more features than any other System 11 game. It has the Sound Overlay board which added 5 extra solenoids.
The board does appear to have light alkaline corrosion. It also looks like someone has replaced U42 previously. That should not be related to your issues.

That's an interesting observation that I missed in your original YouTube video. I will admit that I didn't look closely at the response but rather the fact that when C was active it still fired the A side. Your measurement above for 5J11 A and C show that the voltage doesn't switch but the software thinks the C side is active. Since the voltage doesn't switch but the C side is apparently active the software energizes the solenoid. This is the problem that would be seen on a Taxi before the 4N25 was implemented. This is why Williams implemented the 4N25.
Based on the energizing of solenoid 9 causing the energizing of the backbox GI relay (which should be tied to solenoid 16) and the energizing of solenoid 16 causing only the lower playfield GI to blink, I think you have a wiring problem. It's possibly at the interconnect board. I would need to see an image of the connectors of the interconnect board and the wiring of the connector at the backbox GI relay.

These are the pictures I took to help me rewire everything when I tested the 4N25s. If you want close ups of anything else, let me know please.

I'll get some readings at Q8 tonight. Thanks again!

IMG_1174 (resized).JPGIMG_1174 (resized).JPGIMG_1175 (resized).JPGIMG_1175 (resized).JPGIMG_1176 (resized).JPGIMG_1176 (resized).JPGIMG_1177 (resized).JPGIMG_1177 (resized).JPGIMG_1178 (resized).JPGIMG_1178 (resized).JPG
#4669 1 year ago

When I got home I set my DMM to DC, connected the black lead to the backbox strap and touched the read lead to the tab of Q8 while the machine was in attract mode. I got a reading of about .681

I say about because before I could write it down I was alarmed to discover the machine was completely locked up. I turned it off and right back on. Alphanumeric display was flickering garbled mess. It locked back up after just a few seconds.

I unplugged the machine and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes. I plugged it back in and it looked ok for a few moments. Then the flickering display started, which transitioned into nonsense, and then the machine locked up.

It now sits, unplugged.

I am completely distraught and am terrified that I just destroyed my pinball machine.

#4670 1 year ago

In the meantime, with the machine unplugged I diode tested Q8 and Q6 to compare it. Both were approximately .53 on pins 1 and 3.

I also swapped the 2J11-7 over to 2J11-1 but I will avoid plugging the machine back in until being further advised.

If no additional discussion occurs beforehand, please have a wonderful Thanksgiving if you celebrate it!

#4676 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

It should read +25V (or probably closer to +40V).

Schematic of Aux Power board showing the origin of the voltage.[quoted image]
Drive wire for transistor to CPU board.[quoted image]

You should measure voltage at 5J2-5 and 5J6-6. It should read +25V but I suspect it will read the same as you've read everywhere else (0.6V). This is more evidence there is something wrong with the AC relay on the Aux Power board. You should also have a BRN-YEL wire. Given the wiring issue just discovered you should verify that this wire is present and correctly continuous between the two points (5J2-5 and 1J12-5). Test continuity with the power off.

Describe the state of the diagnostic LEDs. See https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Williams_System_9_-_11#Normal_Game_Boot_Behavior for what is expected behavior. If you're unsure then capture (and post/link) a video.
One final thing to note is that you have a System 11A CPU board from an F-14 Tomcat. This has a speech/sound section that is (presumably) configured for 11A (from the factory). This will cause speech/sound volume (mix) level differences that will detract from your game experience. See https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Williams_System_9_-_11#Voice_callouts_are_much_softer_than_music.2Fsound for more information.

Voltage at 5J2-5 (confirmed BRN-YEL) and 5J6-6 (no wire present) are both approximately .6 both with the machine off and powered up.

Successful continuity test from 5J2-5 to 1J12-5 (confirmed BRN-YEL)

I guess Pinwiki is down at the moment as the link isn't working. Will try again later.

I'm surprised by having an 11A board, and by how easily you identified it! The callouts while I have played may be softer than they should be, but I have found them to be audible. Do you believe that even if I got everything working correctly that there would be benefit in procuring an actual 11B MPU? I do not mind spending money on something like that if there is a reason to.

Video links of the LEDs and game behavior.

#4677 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

You should have gotten @ 38 volts.

Your voltage test didn't do anything to cause this.

I do apologize if I implied that I was given bad advice as I do no believe that at all! I am very grateful for reasoned and thoughtful help. I was imagining more that I did something wrong or maybe there was a static shock.

More than anything I'm sad that I have an unplayable pin now.

#4683 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

All the evidence points to the A/C relay. For grins, you can measure the resistance between the +25V source and the relay solenoid drive. This can be done by measuring resistance between 5J11-8,9,10 and either 5J2-5 or 5J6-6. I am guessing it should measure in the hundreds of Ohms range. To be sure, obviously, measure the resistance without power.

5J2-5 to 5J11-10 was around 110 which steadily rose. I took the lead off at about 400.
5J2-5 to 5J11-8 and 9 were both about 13

Quoted from DumbAss:

This is a decision for you to make. It depends on how much of "purist" you are and how much you want a "close to original" game experience. Some people care more about these things than others. Some people don't even know there's a problem (ignorance - is bliss) and all they care about is the flippers work and they can bat the ball around the playfield. You can make the recommended resistor and capacitor changes to convert from the 11A to 11B configuration. Making these component changes is MUCH cheaper than replacing your board.

If the game was working fine other than this, I would be pretty content but the idea of creaping acid doesn't sit well with me. I added a picture that hopefully helps a little. With the way the acid would have traveled I'm shocked that U42 needed to be replaced but U41 didn't.

Quoted from DumbAss:

The second video of the diagnostic LEDs is correct. This is expected based on what I see in your first video.
The first video shows the game is "working". I put working in inverted commas because you can bat the ball around the playfield. The display shows an issue and when you say "that's it", that's an indicator that either the cellar switch is not working or, more likely, the solenoid there has an issue. If you wait a little longer the game should go into a ball search and kick the ball out of the cellar. If it does this then the switch is more likely to be your problem. If it does not do this then the solenoid is more likely to be your problem. The previous video you posted shows that solenoid 14 ("Cellar Kickback" or "Under Play. Kicker") works so it's more likely to be the switch although something may have changed since the time of the video creation and the present.
The display issue is most likely to be related to current or previous alkaline corrosion. The board has remaining evidence (the previous image you posted) but you can also see a previous repair technician (or hobbyist) has made an attempt to abate the alkaline corrosion. A lot of attempts at abating alkaline corrosion don't go far enough to remove all the alkaline corrosion, or if they do they don't remove it all. Without good in focus and well illuminated images of the area around U41, it is difficult to be sure but there is evidence of previous alkaline corrosion abatement visible in the YouTube video. It is most likely U41 as this is the PIA responsible for segments a-r,com,dot. These segments correspond to the top display which is the display that is showing issues. To be sure it is the CPU board and not the display, the easiest thing to do is swap a known good from a different source. This is probably not an option available to you.
If it isn't already obvious, everything is a differential diagnosis. It's like medical diagnosis or software debugging. There's no difference in methodology - just the knowledge base.

I was sort of worried that the gameplay video made it look like the kick out wasn't working, but the problem is that everything works until the game freezes. At that point sometimes the flippers work, sometimes not. Sometimes the GI lights go out, sometimes not. Interior coin door buttons don't function. Here's a video of me starting a test before the game ultimately crashes:

And here is a video of a restart getting the trapped balls released:

IMG_1199 (resized).JPGIMG_1199 (resized).JPG
#4684 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Nothing to apologize for, I was not sure if you knew what the reading should be.

Nothing wrong with this ^^^^ at all. But I have seen resistance measure fine in circuits that have cracked solder joints. If it were me I would remove the board and inspect the header pin solder joints and the relay solder joints.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I took a look at the back of the board and didn't see an obvious cracked joints. This picture isn't as clear as I thought when I looked on the phone screen but it does show some pretty crispy traces. Is that caused from extreme heat?

IMG_1194 (resized).JPGIMG_1194 (resized).JPG
#4687 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Most likely someone over fused something, then the traces start to glow when things break.

Perhaps now would be a good time to check that each fuse is the correct type in the machine.

#4688 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

At this point, in my opinion, replacing the AC relay is warranted.

The problem with alkaline corrosion is that there is no pattern to it. It can go in any direction from the source. Left to the reset section, up to the resistor/capacitor networks or 2.54mm 2-row headers, right to the 74154, down to U41/U42/address decode/lamp columns. It can skip over entire areas (almost seem like it's airborne = vapor). The image is not well illuminated (it appears that there is an external illumination source). A flash will provide better localized illumination. It also doesn't cover the other areas often affected by alkaline. It appears to be light but alkaline is insidious.

Looking at your original video again, I can see that I made an incorrect assessment. At the point the controlled lamps stop blinking is the point where the software "crashes" or hangs. You just happen to shoot the ball into the cellar but the crash clearly happens before you shoot the ball into the cellar. The music continues because it originates from the sound board and is created by a completely separate processor on that board.

The diagnostic buttons in the coin door not functioning is definitely proof the software has crashed.
The flipper not working is likely related to the flipper ground relay on the CPU board de-energizing.
The GI going out is an interesting issue. The GI is always on in System 11 and only controlled via a GI relay. If it goes out then there's a suggestion that something even more fundamental is going on.

Your CPU board is now "unstable". It needs to be assessed. Honestly, I think this is something you should have sent out for repair. You're systematic. You could probably learn about it if you want. It will take a LOT of back and forth. There are a few reputable repair technicians but be aware that some of them may not want to deal with alkaline corrosion.
If you're looking for a replacement board you can search for one on eBay or the Rottendog MPU9211 board is available immediately @ https://www.pinballlife.com/rottendog-williams-system-9-11-11c-mpu-board.html but be aware that there are reports of issues with Rottendog boards.
EDIT: I want to iterate what GRUMPY said in that this was NOT related to diagnostic steps that you performed. It is likely 100% coincidental. I don't see any causal relationship.

I have decided to purchase a System 11B board from a Cyclone machine that a pinsider had listed as being reconditioned by K’s Arcade. Between that and a new relay I’ll see what things look like in about a week.

Sounds like there isn’t a whole lot of value in the 11A board I have but there are a few local contacts I have that might at least take a look at it. If nothing else, I have a much better idea of what to look for on any future potential PB purchases.

Thank you DumbAss and GRUMPY for walking with me a bit through my first few steps of pinball ownership!

#4689 1 year ago
Quoted from trecemaneras:

Non technical support post incoming
What are the replay values up to on your Whirlwind?
We got our WW in March, and we're (me, my 13yo, and my 10yo) closing in on 3000 games played since we got it. The replay values were 3.6 / 7.2 million from the previous owner. As we started playing (badly lol) 100+ games per week, the replay value dropped and dropped, getting as low as 2.4 / 4.8 iirc. But eventually we turned a corner and we've got it climbing again. We were pretty happy when we got it back up to 3.6, and even happier when we passed it. "In your face, previous owner!" I believe was how my youngest put it haha! It's climbing more slowly now, but we've got it up to 4.6 / 9.2 million. We keep improving, so I'm sure our replay values will keep going up, but I'm super curious what other WW folks' have got theirs up to

I didn’t know that self adjusting replay targets were a thing either but that seems like a neat idea. I like having a difficult but obtainable number to reach for. I believe I had mine set in the 3.4mil range.

There’s a coffee shop up the street from me with an Earthshaker that was set at 1.4mil replay. I felt bad that I was there for an hour and only put $1 in the machine I got so many replays. A really fun game though.

#4691 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Can you test the 5 volts and 12 volts on the power supply first.
[quoted image]

4.94 and 12.5 respectively

#4694 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Now can you check voltage here, then start a game and watch the meter until it locks up. What are you getting?
[quoted image]

The crazy thing is, after 2 attempts to get a reading upon locking up...the game didnt freeze tonight! I got nothing on the top row of the alphanumeric display (so no idea what my score was) but otherwise I was able to play multiple games the same as I used to be able to.

#4698 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Maybe you should disconnect the display all together, then see if it locks any more.

For a few days I was able to play game after game with the display plugged in, but only the lower line lit up. I did not try to run the game without the display plugged in before doing the next thing:

I was hoping everything I ordered would be in my hands Saturday so I could work on it this weekend but the MPU is still en route. What I did get in was a rottendog power board and auxiliary power board. My intent was to use these as a test to see if
A) the aux relay worked correctly

B) a fully working power board ran the original display that I kept

and repair the originals to be returned to the back box once completed. (Keeping the rottendogs as backups)

Unfortunately it didn’t go so well. I swapped 1 fuse on the aux board as per the instructions and installed them both. Turning the machine instantly blew the 8A fuse in the power box under the playfield.

At the moment I have no replacement fuses but obviously something isn’t right.

What would be a good place to start to try to figure out what happened?

#4699 1 year ago

I should also ask, since I’ve seen conflicting recommendations, is the 8A fuse supposed to be NB or FB?

#4701 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Page 40 of the manual calls out a 8 amp NB. This is a standard speed fuse and NOT a slow blow fuse.
Now onto why this fuse blew, you must have something miss wired or shorted to ground. There could be something wrong with the new board/boards.
How about posting some pics of the back box area that you were working in.

Thank you!

I have already swapped both boards back to the originals. My plan was to track down a replacement fuse locally and see if it operated as it did before but I came up short. Closest I came was a SB 8A.

Would you like to see anything as it stands?

#4703 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Did you find any thing close like a 5 or 6 amp fuse. These will normally work but could have nuisance popping. If you have LEDs in the game you can use a 4 or 5 amp fuse.

That is very interesting to know. I have LEDs throughout except for the 906 flashers that have yet to be operable. I played a TAF on location recently and the LED flashing was too blinding so I’m hoping to stick with incandescents for the play field.

Yes, 5A would be trivial to obtain. Maybe I’ll grab a pack on the way home.

#4723 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Excited to be back in the Whrilwind club after trading my below average Bad Cats for this above average Whirlwind. Other than a small gouge near the flippers (of course) it's perfect. I'm going to add a little bit of extra lighting in it and an apron magnet but that all you could do to it. I had not gotten to play one of these in a while (sold mine 3 years ago) and this thing is a blast. Best topper ever.
[quoted image]

The blue alphanumeric display suits this game very well!

#4725 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Did you find any thing close like a 5 or 6 amp fuse. These will normally work but could have nuisance popping. If you have LEDs in the game you can use a 4 or 5 amp fuse.

Update on my progress:

5A fuse has been holding up fine so far, thank you for the recommendation! I successfully swapped out my MPU with the recently acquired refurbished original System 11B board. It has restored full functionality to the rottendog display (haven't tried swapping back to the original display) and the game plays just fine without any hint of locking up so far. Just as DumbAss stated, I am getting louder callouts with the correct MPU installed. I even hit my all time high score of 21.7M! I achieved a moment in the game I'd never seen before where all cellar bonuses activated at once! I got a little worried for a moment because I thought the game might be glitching out but it was quite a show!

I still need to get the the A/C relay corrected. I will tackle that later this week.

In the meantime, I'm curious about a couple of things:

Is it normal for the backbox lighting to flicker/flash when the ball travels the ramp en route to a ball lock? Or other in game events? I'm still kind of wondering if all of my wiring is correct.

When I turned the machine on with the System 11A board installed, the storm spinners would fire up at full speed. With the System 11B board, that doesn't happen. I just hear the game start humming. What is the correct bootup sequence?

Thanks again for the help! I would have never gotten this far on my own!

#4728 1 year ago

Tonight, I decided it was time to tackle the auxiliary power relay. I was quickly dismayed by the fact that my desoldering gun's tip had too small of a hole to properly desolder the large pointed pins of the relay. But, I soldiered on and with my silicone tipped pump I was able to remove about 98% of the solder. The relay was still wedged in there and I tried a few things with no luck at first...

What did work was to gently twist each pin with needle nose pliers until the relay wiggled free. And thankfully, soldering in the new relay was fairly easy. After reinstalling the board I cut the old relay open to see what it looked like.

I was hoping to see something obvious, but alas it looked clean to me. I was getting worried that my efforts were not going to bear any fruit. With a few moments pause and a quick prayer, I flipped the switch...

Complete success!!!!! What a relief it was to see and hear the various tests execute correctly! I can now play my Whirlwind as it was intended to be enjoyed!

There are a couple little things I'd like to clear up though. One is the post on the right side of the cellar door lights (on the red light side). The threaded stem seems too short for holding this metal bracket and the plastic piece. It could only catch 2-3 threads as it was, but has now stripped to the point of catching nothing at all...any advice for this?

And finally, I take this threaded candy cane of a rod to be the tilt sensor. If that's the case, should there be a weighted nut on the end of it? I never get any tilts no matter how hard I push the playfield.

Thanks again for all the help! Very happy right now!

IMG_1310 (resized).JPGIMG_1310 (resized).JPGIMG_1311 (resized).JPGIMG_1311 (resized).JPGIMG_1312 (resized).JPGIMG_1312 (resized).JPGIMG_1313 (resized).JPGIMG_1313 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#4740 1 year ago
Quoted from harig:

Joined this club recently with a diamaond plate game in nice condition
How 'rare' is the diamond plate edition- I read something about 200 made or was there a bigger number produced?

FWIW, mine is diamondplate. When I bought the machine I didn't even know what that was, just that the playfield looked great. Happy to find out that what I have should last.

#4742 1 year ago

LOL, likewise!

#4743 1 year ago
Quoted from Pbgixxer:

Good question. I’ve been wondering the same thing. I also heard less than 200.
[quoted image]

Where did you get your rule cards from? They look nice and I like them better than what I found to print out for myself.

#4748 1 year ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

The grandkids of a friend managed to break the shooter knob on his Whirlwind. There's a chunk of plastic that's missing. I haven't run into this before, can I just use a pliers to break off the rest of the broken knob and screw or press on a new custom knob? Or does the whole shooter rod have to be replaced? Not a big deal either way, just haven't seen that before. Thanks.

Original knob for this should be metal. I would recommend this one:

https://www.pinballlife.com/bally-nickel-plated-shooter-rod.html

Not expensive and will be an easy swap.

#4749 1 year ago

I got a 3 way combo tonight for the first time ever! I was so distracted by watching it I drained my last ball. Worth it though! I'm really happy with this pin!

1 week later
#4766 1 year ago

While waxing the playfield yesterday I noticed that the area around a number of the playfield parts was brighter than the middle of the playfield. I realized that they must have had Mylar in those spots. Even with a Diamondplate playfield and now in a home use environment, is it recommended to put Mylar back on the high stress areas?

#4779 1 year ago
Quoted from DuffysArcade:

Fold the head down, put the machine on its back, legs off...slide through sideways. Too wide??

I don't know what the thickness of the body plus the backbox is, but this sounds like a sensible solution. Basically like how a pinball is shipped. Use something soft (foam or a moving blanket, etc) and strap it together. You don't want the backbox falling when you're trying to wiggle a machine through a door!

#4787 1 year ago

I am trying to figure out exactly what the bumper post that gets a yellow rubber (see full rubber kit images) should look like. Here is an image I got from a virtual pin video of the game. The spot circled is where the yellow rubber is on mine, but I don't have any sort of top like this has, and the rubber I have is shorter than the metal post is, so I'm thinking there should be something there.

Anyone know for sure?

Virtual Whirlwind Highlighted (resized).jpgVirtual Whirlwind Highlighted (resized).jpg
#4799 1 year ago

I have been getting phantom sweeping score bonuses a lot lately. Sometimes when hitting a single drop target and sometimes when hitting the yellow bumpers in the low pressure area.

I’m going to tackle a full flipper rebuild project this weekend, so while it’s opened up I will clean the opto lenses but is there anything else I should be looking at or testing?

#4801 1 year ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

If I were a betting man, I'd bet that you have cold solder joints along the pins on the opto board, and vibrations are causing errant triggers. Reflow solder and clean the lenses and see if the condition improves.

Sweet, that's an easy one if true. I'll take a good look at that. Thanks for the tip!

#4806 1 year ago

Does anyone know the part number of the bumper post at the edge of the left ramp? Mine broke, as you can see here: [quoted image]
There’s not enough thread left on top to connect to the rest of the toll ramp support. [quoted image]
I ordered this one, but it’s not correct, it won’t screw into the upper post: https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=02-4056
So either the correct bumper post that fits the upper piece would be helpful, or a different upper piece that fits the bumper post I got!

If you can’t find the right part you can always trim the threaded stud off the top and buy an 8/32 tap kit along with a 8/32 screw. 1” length should be enough to trim off the head and leave you with a clean 3/4” (3/8” into the post, 3/8” into the hex spacer)

I am going off @jmckune’s post, I did not double check the sizes.

#4807 1 year ago

I'm in the middle of my first flipper rebuild and I have a question that I haven't been able to find a related answer to. The included EOS leaf switch from the Marco kit has a very long arm that makes contact withe the back end of the tighten-down bolt instead of the insulated L arm. If I cut it shorter, I'll need to bend both arms toward the coil in order for the L arm to push the contacts far enough apart.

Is leaving it like it is a bad idea? Or do I just have the wrong leaf switches?

Flipper Rebuild (resized).JPGFlipper Rebuild (resized).JPG
#4809 1 year ago
Quoted from gutz:

When tightening the eos screws, the switch stack can rotate - is it parallel to the flipper plate?

I noticed that, and yes it is.

#4813 1 year ago

I'm in the middle of my first flipper rebuild and I have a question that I haven't been able to find a related answer to. The included EOS leaf switch from the Marco kit has a very long arm that makes contact withe the back end of the tighten-down bolt instead of the insulated L arm. If I cut it shorter, I'll need to bend both arms toward the coil in order for the L arm to push the contacts far enough apart.

Is leaving it like it is a bad idea? Or do I just have the wrong leaf switches?

Quoted from GRUMPY:

Yes, bad idea.
When you tightened the pinch bolt to hold the flipper in place, did you have any space between the bushing and the paw?

I used the spacer tool (fork) on top, which allows for a little play up and down if I pull the flipper from the top. I assume that's the intent.

I think I've got the first flipper rebuild done, it seems to work without issue.

I've also not seen any more phantom sweeping scores after re-flowing solder on both sides of the pin connector on the 3 bank opto board. Just a couple games tested though since I still have two more flippers to do. Should go faster next time.

#4814 1 year ago

Flipper rebuild complete. Fine tuned flipper angles and replaced rubbers with polyurethane. No more contact with metal on the upper right flipper at full stroke and basically no ball hop anymore either. Had my best game yet on the second game after completing rebuild. Not sure how much each of the two changes made but I was able to hit 3 multi-millions in a single multiball. Still enjoying the hell out of this game.

2 weeks later
#4841 1 year ago

Lmao, my noobishness is confirmed yet again! All this time I thought a translight still had the art adhered to it. So I was completely wtf? to find a loose, flexible poster-like thing in there.
So this was probably original then?
Any thoughts on the worthwhile-ness of a cpr mirrored backglass?

I looked at it for a bit. Seems as though the colors are less vibrant to me. I’m satisfied with my translite (W sticker included) and the game plays just as well either way.

2 weeks later
#4880 1 year ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Was a little nervous trying to get the new cloud stickers on the new cloud evenly but I'm happy with it.
[quoted image]

Where did you get the new topper from? Mine isn’t as yellow as the one on the left but certainly not as white as the one on the right.

#4888 1 year ago

In the last month I have occasionally encountered a situation where the cellar eject plunger misdirects the ball to the other side of the cellar instead of back into play. A couple times it happened the game never found the ball even after it went into search mode.

I took everything apart, cleaned the metal (it really wasn’t that dirty), replaced the coil sleeve and adjusted the switches.

Having done that I have been able to get a consistent successful refire onto the playfield when it happens but it’s still happening about 1 time every 5-10 games.

What would cause this? The plunger didn’t look that bad but might it be worthwhile ordering a new one?

1 week later
#4917 1 year ago
Quoted from John_In_WI:

Peel the old ones

Yes, this! Mine came off easier than I expected. I raised the discs up to get them away from the playfield and then used a sharp razor blade to get in between the decal and the plastic underneath. Left almost no residue and then wiped throughly with 91% alcohol.

What I didn’t anticipate when I put the new stickers down was to account for their off center printing. I did a pretty good job of centering the decal on the disc but they look off center when they spin because the art isn’t quite centered on the circle.

Good luck!

#4925 1 year ago
Quoted from mark532011:

An unexpected failure during the game today
[quoted image]

That is certainly an issue. Did this happen by striking a ball?

#4928 1 year ago
Quoted from OGpinball:

I got some paint mixed at Sherwin Williams and thru trial and error got a color and sheen that was really close after about 10 times
[quoted image]

Meaning this color mix was the 10th try and the one to go for? I’d like to touch up the front facing edge of my back box at some point but I’m not looking to do a full repaint/radcals.

#4933 1 year ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Just rejoined. This is my second one. Game has become much more expensive!
This one is planted firm.

Those white legs look great with this cabinet!

And do you have clear rubber on the playfield? Such a thing was recommended to me recently and I thought it might be neat to give it a try. I’m rocking the stock white rubber so far.

#4936 1 year ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

The topper is pretty yellow so I will try to bring it back to life.

Can something be done outside of replacing the housing/decals?

1 month later
#5010 11 months ago

Does anyone know where I can buy a Whirlwind keychain for a reasonable price? Like $10ish instead of the $30-50 range I’m seeing on eBay.

#5013 11 months ago
Quoted from zerbam:

MAYFAIR AMUSEMENT ALWAYS HAS THEM AT PINFEST IN ALLENTOWN

I should have asked. I found a lot of other Williams keychains but not Whirlwind.

3 months later
#5139 8 months ago

I have installed the Whirlwind 2.0 kit and it has uncovered a few issues with bulbs and switches that I hadn’t noticed before. This one is is hopefully the final.

The flasher under the million insert does not go off in the Whirlwind 1.0 game or in it’s coil test mode. I am sure that the bulb and socket are ok though because in the 2.0 game the flasher never stops flashing.

I’m still a novice at reading the manual but I think the socket is wired correctly. The wire at 5J1-5 is indeed Gry-Yel. Can anyone confirm that the socket is wired correctly?

1AE47E59-74DD-4068-9057-741C348EABF8 (resized).jpeg1AE47E59-74DD-4068-9057-741C348EABF8 (resized).jpeg4B71A011-E43D-4E13-A329-5E1352F45A8D (resized).jpeg4B71A011-E43D-4E13-A329-5E1352F45A8D (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#5141 6 months ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Need a little bit of help on figuring out where to start on this one, and which wire is most likely to be messed up.
BLUF: Fixed single opto drop target, now the 3 bank drop target isn't registering hits. What should I check first (and how).
My 3 bank is not registering on Whirlwind. I took Whirlwind to the York show where it performed admirably, but upon returning home I realized the single drop target was not working. I eventually fixed it after some troubleshooting, but now the 3 bank is not registering hits in game or in the switch test. I have reseated the connector, but have had no success.
Now, I’m 99% sure I messed up something when I fixed the single opto drop target. The original opto board was flakey when repairing the original and I assumed it was the connection. Replacing the board didn’t work, but replacing the wires in the little connector did. It was way down at the bottom of the playfield so I had to run some extra wire to get it to work. It’ ugly under the playfield, but the single drop target now works. However, the 3 bank is no longer working. Looking at the connector on the 3 bank, it appears to have some of the same sorts of connections as the single drop target, but I’m pretty sure it’s not an issue with the board, but with the wiring going off of it to somewhere in the playfield.
I’m at a loss for the next step in troubleshooting this with a multimeter. I’m 99% sure something I did with the single drop target hosed up the 3 bank drop targets, but I’m not sure where to start. How would you test this? Any and all help and suggestions would be appreciated. I have confirmed in switch test that all of the other switches work. Its only the 3 bank.
Also… had fun batting around the powerball in there a few minutes before I figured out the 3 bank was now down.
Thank you![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

This problem is almost certainly beyond me, but maybe to help get some clarification:

When all 3 targets are down, the switch test registers none of the 3?
In a game, with all 3 targets in the up position, none of them register scoring points nor will they reset after they've all gone done?

The things I would be checking:
Are the opto lenses clean? (I fixed my single drop opto just by cleaning the lense with 91% alcohol)
Are the solder joints for the connector pins on the board still good? (I fixed my iffy 3 drop bank by re-flowing that solder)
After that might be the wires in the line to the connector, or possibly on the other end at the main board. Maybe DumbAss or GRUMPY could suggest something there? They, among others, were very helpful to me when I didn't know squat about fixing anything like this. Now I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

Good luck! It's certainly a pretty looking example of a Whirlwind!

2 weeks later
#5170 5 months ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Are the 2 wires red or orange? If orange then it's wired correctly.

Orange. Sorry for the lengthy delay in response. I hadn't opened my machine in a little while.

1 month later
#5217 3 months ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Any reviews on the 2.0 packages? Seems like there's no more buzz about the 2 options that were being released. Just wondering how they are.. is there a thread for either version?!

I'm taking a guess you mean the Total Chaos kit for WW and the Rudy's Nightmare kit for FH.

Here are the threads I know about for Total Chaos:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirwind-20-total-chaos-the-owner-s-club
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-20-kit-announced
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-20-total-chaos-the-owner-s-club
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-20-chaos-pedretti-kit-issues

Sadly, none of them are really active and the topics are partly scattered because of a typo in the name on the first link. Since my initial issues I have a game that hasn't given me problems and offers more goals than the original. It's not for everyone but it's nice to have another game without another footprint in my arcade. I would guess an operator would be frustrated by it but for home use should be fine.

If you're curious about the Rudy's Nightmare discussion, they are a bit more active and some of the information might apply to Total Chaos as well:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-20-rudy-s-nightmare

1 month later
#5325 64 days ago
Quoted from John_In_WI:

Gunner007 is correct. Plunger shot should go to the right of that ramp and loop around to the upper flipper. There's an adjustment at the end of the shooter lane. In my experience, the shooter spring was also important (green one worked best for me).

Thanks for the tip! Might have a green one in my box!

I've been noodling around this problem lately. I figured I should try changing springs before screwing around with the ball guide on the shooter lane. I already screwed up my Iron Maiden launch my trying to adjust that.

#5328 64 days ago
Quoted from John_In_WI:

If the ball is hitting the ramp on a full plunger shot, you will most likely need to adjust the shooter lane. It's an easy single screw adjustment.

I’ll pay closer attention to what it actually hits but it is definitely somewhere in the upper jets.

3 weeks later
#5372 43 days ago

After owning the game for a year and a half I finally got the shooter lane guide set up correctly. Matched with the proper spring (silver, I tried 4 different kinds) I can make the full loop with a perfect full plunge, no less. This opens up the whole game for me as shooting the left ramp from a plunge is a great way to collect more jackpots! And it still takes a little skill to make the loop so it's not too easy. I tried a red spring and it made it 100% but the feel of pulling back that spring was awful.

4 weeks later
#5441 12 days ago
Quoted from Conrad:

So has anyone got the 2.0 kit installed? I'm wondering if they have done updates to improve it and make it better. I will be doing a playfield swap on mine this year. I'm trying to judge if the kit is worth anything or better of sticking with the original only.
Thanks
Conrad

The latest code update does make it better than it was right at launch. Time will tell how good it becomes in the end but the planned auto-launcher will make the game significantly better. There have been no firmware updates since October.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider assaultsuit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-club-members-only?tu=assaultsuit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.