17120147714183511058491698968279 (resized).jpg
17120147133684342295711183751853 (resized).jpg
17120146816654026590663874873131 (resized).jpg
1711971576349821576825836127955.jpg
17119715507093168227299707841971.jpg
20240127_165338 (resized).jpg
20240127_165404 (resized).jpg
20240328_180122.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1676 6 years ago

Interesting.
While I'm not in the club, I did get a playfield. (I love the art, and love compass roses. And, yeah - I may own a game eventually!)

I noticed the dither line on the lock area right away, but didn't notice it across the middle of the PF until it was pointed out here. I DID notice the slight color change from the dithered blue/green under the ramp to the flat blue up above the bumpers.

Those don't really bother me, all in all - especially considering the condition of the playfields out in games I've seen..

However, I DID notice this and was wondering if anyone else has this:
MB8sFWy (resized).jpgMB8sFWy (resized).jpg
Looks like art was misaligned from the insert - that's a little bare wood there. (For the full-size image, check here: http://i.imgur.com/MB8sFWy.jpg)
On the full-size image, you can also see the stairstepping in the artwork (what, is this 100dpi?) in the border between the artwork gree arrow cap and the white cloud.

All in all, I'm happy with it.

#1683 6 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

I tried a quick polish with novus, it made it better, but didn't get rid of it. So I'm bringing it to my clearcoater to sand and clear.

Interesting - I couldn't see those marks in the clear on my phone, but now on my laptop, I can. I don't have those in mine, my clearcoat's just about perfect. The wood cuts are rough from clear 'splatter', but that shouldn't affect anything.

#1702 6 years ago
Quoted from mattmarr:

I got notice that my pre-order was ready the other day, but I haven't pulled the trigger. What do you guys with playfields in hand think? Is it worth it to go through with the order? Will you put these in your games?

Considering some of the Whirlwind games I've seen out there - I would, and I did. In case I ever GET a game. (Which, I hope I do, someday!) Clear can be fixed, also, if it's that big of an issue.

2 weeks later
#1744 6 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

check this out. new run on left. Guess someone threw out the mix numbers after the first run.

Apparently they also used the wrong color 'Shoot Again' insert?

#1747 6 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Ah, you noticed that - wondered if anyone would.

Which one is correct?

For the record, I'd like to say that yeah, from seeing ya'll post comparison pics, the PFs aren't error-free. However, I'll add in that I'm not sorry I got it, as most of the Whirlwinds I've seen for sale have had completely trashed playfields. Especially around the spinners. So, IMHO, I'd rather pick up a project game with a trashed PF for under a grand and drop this baby into it.

#1763 6 years ago

Yeah, both of yours look more yellowish, matching the earlier CPR's run.

1 month later
#1806 6 years ago
Quoted from Atlgills:

Ok
This has been bugging me for some time. I won this ebay auction around a year ago and had Neo repaired and clear this NOS playfield preserving the signature. Its looks amazing! I've always wondered if it genuine! The seller stated that Pat was at his home attending and party and got him to sign it. What do you guys think? Here is the old listing ebay.com link

The signature looks authentic. It matches Pat's signature on my TZ translight. (I will get a picture soon - the game is still wrapped up after the York show.)

3 months later
#1926 6 years ago

I have a gold from their second (recent) run, and I have no dimples.

That pic from their site may be from their first run, though.

2 months later
#2042 6 years ago
Quoted from zh2oson:

Can someone explain this date format to me, please?

First two digits are year. Next three digits are day of the year. (Jan 1st - "001").

1 week later
#2060 6 years ago
Quoted from Leosac:

Any other thoughts on where to look for a solution?

The manual.
Seriously, I believe the manual shows a simplified wiring diagram of how the flashers should be hooked up, including what plugs are used in the back.

One wire should always be 20v or so, and the other is the driver.

#2063 6 years ago

A couple quick rules question, guys -
First - does the lock area (left side of playfield, not under the ramp) ever hold 3 balls before starting Multiball? (Every time I play, the 'third ball' to start multiball is captured under the ramp.)
Second - At the start of the game, are the direction arrows randomized, or is it always NW and SW? (I think?)
Third - What is the max number of tolls allowed to be collected in a game?

Thanks!

#2065 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Nope. I think the third switch it there for redundancy just to be able to sense a 3rd ball in case of ramp diverter or ramp flap error.

Not randomized. The targets that light are always pretty prescribed, and start with the yellow and red standup targets (and left inlane rollover).

99. Same as Earthshaker. Once you max it out, and shoot the ramp, the displays say “Skyway Toll Paid” and it’ll award you a set amount of points.

Awesome, thanks!

#2068 6 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

Played a few games tonight to try and see exactly what it's doing and some games it plays fine others it messes up always revolving around multi ball. Once I had it start the ball lock sequence when I still had 1 target blinking and I notice the ramp will sometimes raise when the ball go's in the right cellar door and I know it shouldn't be raising.I also noticed when it releases the balls early for multi ball it does not do the "hear it comes"call out.also to note sometimes when I turn it on lately the knocker will kick which it did the same thing last time I had to have it worked on.

Sounds like you may have a bad switch. When there is a bad switch, the knocker will fire at bootie, and the screen will give a message.

2 weeks later
#2131 6 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

3. Right orbit spinner not registering each rotation of the spinner.
Checked: Switch edge test working properly for the spinner.
Adjustments: I removed the switch and ran it through an ultrasonic bath with citrus based cleaner to remove out 20+ years of gunk - reinstalled and verified switch registered properly. The blade was adjusted so that the slightest rotation of the spinner target would cause the switch to register. The spinner points of contact (arms and shaft & switch blade) were lightly lubricated with spout oil.
Result: When a ball rips through the spinner, not every rotation registers as a switch hit. I am not sure if there is too much internal wear and therefore friction within the switch and/or the spinner shaft and switch blade have too much friction.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'll put a new switch on the shopping list.

Likely you have the blades TOO close together, and a good solid hit, the CPU sees the switch 'close', but misses the quick opening of the contacts..

#2133 6 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

Thanks,
I tried a couple of combinations of blade angles bends, all with the same result. I'll try again.

Oh! Okay, didn't know that. I ran into that issue on my Meteor - I wanted the spinner to score well, and at the adjustment I had it, it would award, then freeze and jump the score until it slowed down.

#2137 6 years ago

Don't know if they fit Whirlwind or not, but they are microswitch covers for Entropy coin doors.

2 weeks later
#2157 5 years ago
Quoted from SpecialK-33:

Random question but I feel this is the Forum to ask it....anyone have just the set of header decals for the cabinet? Both sides of my cab and coin door are fine...header was very poorly touched up. PM me if you do. Thanks

Backbox, you mean? (I see 'header', and I keep thinking of something baseball-related..)

5 months later
#2370 5 years ago

Silly, and possibly idiot question..
Could you not have bent the wireform slightly (middle to the downward left direction in the image) so that the end tip of the metal form was outside the post's rubber?

5 months later
#2671 5 years ago

COuld be, or your driver wire, could be bare and shorted to ground somewhere on the playfield, too.

Assuming you checked this, by disconnecting the connector that supplies the driver wire to the coil while leaving the power connector connected? (Sorry, don't know the J-numbers offhand..)

6 months later
#3079 4 years ago
Quoted from Pugsley:

You guys are all idiots for not using nickel halide lamps and fiber-optics.

Xenon!

6 months later
#3441 4 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

You need a tool to unlock the pins and change in accordance to the manual. There should be a correct "how to plu" for each country.

It's in the WPC Schematics document (16-9473-1), page 1. Pinouts for the 9-pin connector for all world voltages.

1 month later
#3556 3 years ago

No. WMS never ever had those stickers. It's likely a CPR.

4 weeks later
#3623 3 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

fuses to make sure that they aren't shorted?

... Your fuses BETTER be shorted, or else they're blown and need to be replaced.

2 weeks later
#3663 3 years ago

Holy heck..

6 months later
#4038 3 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Hmmm...how could all the bulbs burn out at the same time?

Quoted from Jmckune:

or have a broken wire

#4040 3 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

The machine hasn’t moved, so a broken wire seems low probability and I will check. I’m also running the LED OCD board, if that factors in at all.

Okay, first step in troubleshooting ANYTHING:

Undo every mod and get the (affected) area/region to stock. Because without that, you could waste a lot of time following red-herrings around.

3 months later
#4173 2 years ago
Quoted from mettle64:

Whirlwind translites are hard to come by and mine was ragged so I took a shot with a reproduction translite from Pinball Decals EU. It took 20 days to get here and I thought I'd share just in case others are looking into a replacement.
https://pinballdecalseu.com/shop/whirlwind-pinball-translite/
The reproduction translite is slightly smaller than the original, but still fills the space between the plastic trim. The resolution is good and the colors are decent, though not as rich as in the original.
The original translite is on the bottom, reproduction on the top. Second image is the reproduction installed.[quoted image][quoted image]

I swear, I'm surprised noone has said it yet, but the machine's NAME is the wrong color, yes?

#4186 2 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

So mine has a yellow wire at this point. I know the manual says green/blue but the last few switches in that set seem to have a solid yellow.
Mine was definitely spliced but as I did the swap I got rid of the extra wire as it wasn’t needed. It was weird because the original play field had a leaf switch instead of a micro switch for the spinner. It was definitely the original switch as I checked the back of the old play field and there were no screw holes for the micro switch bracket. Mine goes from the spinner to the red NE standup target.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

FYI, a 'solid yellow' is just a jumper. If any switch or lamp has a solid yellow, then trace the wire back to where it meets with a colored wire.

3 months later
#4260 2 years ago
Quoted from Mahoyvan:

Can someone tell me what type of resistor this is?
[quoted image]
Trying to get my new to me WW up and running 100% when I noticed that this board was disconnected, and this resistor is missing. Can't find it on Marco by part number so going to track it down somewhere else. Not sure if there's a special name for it though?

5 watt, 680ohm, 5%.
Ceramic, but not that that really matters.

#4262 2 years ago

Honestly, all of them would work.
I would go for one that was the same, ceramic packed style, so the Yageo SQP500JB-680R is a good match.

#4264 2 years ago
Quoted from Mahoyvan:

Ordered up, thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

Good!
It will help with heat distribution if, when soldering on the new one, lift it AWAY from the PCB by some, leaving air to flow completely around it. That way, if something happens, it won't start to cook the PCB.

1 year later
#4838 1 year ago
Quoted from trecemaneras:

I made a discovery about my whirlwind’s “backglass” today…[quoted image]
So, I’m wondering what fellow whirlwind club members think of the CPR mirrored backglass. Is it good, or should I consider some other option?
(also, have you ever seen something like what’s on my game on any other game?)

It's called a "translight", and they were used in a LOOOT of Williams/Midway/Bally games in the 90s. That's normal.

1 month later
#4930 1 year ago
Quoted from OGpinball:

Mine has the Cubs logo on the hat (which was later forbidden). Everyone have this version?

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.games.pinball/c/GgFeBNm8xdM

1 month later
#4958 1 year ago

Carefully... CAREFULLY drill out the rivets.

2 weeks later
#4968 11 months ago
Quoted from punkin:

Post a link please mate?
Edit, all good i found it.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-20-kit-announced
Hard to believe that Coyote would downvote a new development that someone went to a lot of trouble to make so pinball would be better for those who choose to add it.
I just don't get people sometimes.

IMHO, it does not follow the game's theme. To me, this is like releasing MMR v3.0 and turning it into a Marvel Avengers pin.
I'm sure a lot of effort went into it, but to my it looks like someone with a short attention span kept getting distracted by themes and wanting to work everything into it at once.

#4973 11 months ago
Quoted from punkin:

There's no need for downvoting and trashing it.

I am, actually, quite honored that my downvote means this much to you and the team that developed this.

1 month later
#5069 9 months ago
Quoted from pencilneck:

My Funhouse that I fully restored last year. Got it done just in time for Southern Fried, so hardly any plays on it, and over the course of the weekend...
[quoted image]
Did this at another post as well. My WW playfield by CPR with a poop ton more plays, no clear coat issues at all.

Holy heck.

3 months later
#5146 6 months ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Also... a ceramic ball in there really spices things up.
[quoted image]

Holy crap, those inserts. That's gotta be a Mirco repro?

#5152 6 months ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

That playfield has a factory mylar on it. It also shows wear at the left return lane. That playfield is likely lacquered OEM.

Intersting - those inserts show a rough sanding pattern - which Mirco had (still has?) a reputation for doing. I've never seen that on ANY Midway Mfg machine before in my life. Those inserts should be clear to color, and not look like they have a layer of sandpaper over them.

I mean, compare the S arrow and the multiplier inserts to this - https://www.ipdb.org/images/2765/image-37.jpg You should be able to see the pattern in the inserts..

#5154 6 months ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

However, Midway Manufacturing was Bally. This machine is a Williams.

Huh, admittedly, I thought Whirlwind was the first maching made under the conglomerate 'Midway'. I'll have to look that up now!

Quoted from DumbAss:

This makes me think that the lower part of the mylar was removed. It's weird.

Yeah - studying that other pic, I see what you're seeing now. Okay, not a Mirco, but that is odd. I swear, having been an operator in the 90's (literally starting in 1990), I never, ever saw that on a production playfield before - BUT, I admit I also never tried to remove mylar like that. If my playfields ever got bad, it was the in/outlanes or high-traffic areas, clear/paint just wears. Never had inserts do that.

#5157 6 months ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Okay. That's my playfield. 90% sure that's an original that had mylar removed in parts at some point.
[quoted image]

Yup! You're good! The video gives a great better image than that one pic did - so yeah, I retract my statement - that's original. And despite the inserts looking like that, it looks in fabulous condition.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-club-members-only?tu=Coyote and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.