17120147714183511058491698968279 (resized).jpg
17120147133684342295711183751853 (resized).jpg
17120146816654026590663874873131 (resized).jpg
1711971576349821576825836127955.jpg
17119715507093168227299707841971.jpg
20240127_165338 (resized).jpg
20240127_165404 (resized).jpg
20240328_180122.jpg
There are 5,441 posts in this topic. You are on page 95 of 109.
#4701 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Page 40 of the manual calls out a 8 amp NB. This is a standard speed fuse and NOT a slow blow fuse.
Now onto why this fuse blew, you must have something miss wired or shorted to ground. There could be something wrong with the new board/boards.
How about posting some pics of the back box area that you were working in.

Thank you!

I have already swapped both boards back to the originals. My plan was to track down a replacement fuse locally and see if it operated as it did before but I came up short. Closest I came was a SB 8A.

Would you like to see anything as it stands?

#4702 1 year ago
Quoted from AssaultSuit:

My plan was to track down a replacement fuse locally and see if it operated as it did before but I came up short. Closest I came was a SB 8A.

Did you find any thing close like a 5 or 6 amp fuse. These will normally work but could have nuisance popping. If you have LEDs in the game you can use a 4 or 5 amp fuse.

#4703 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Did you find any thing close like a 5 or 6 amp fuse. These will normally work but could have nuisance popping. If you have LEDs in the game you can use a 4 or 5 amp fuse.

That is very interesting to know. I have LEDs throughout except for the 906 flashers that have yet to be operable. I played a TAF on location recently and the LED flashing was too blinding so I’m hoping to stick with incandescents for the play field.

Yes, 5A would be trivial to obtain. Maybe I’ll grab a pack on the way home.

#4704 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Sounds heat related. So it could be a bad fuse, fuse holder, bridge rectifier, molex connector or a cracked header pin. When it goes out next time, leave the game on and start testing voltage at the bridge rectifier. See what you get.

Thanks, the problem appears to have gotten worse, lamps stopped working completely. Whats the best way to check the voltage on the bridge rectifier? Thanks for your help

#4705 1 year ago
Quoted from eman4277:

the problem appears to have gotten worse, lamps stopped working completely.

This is a good thing as now it should be easy to find the problem. I have highlighted the bridge rectifier and the fuse for the lamps in question. Remove the fuse, was it tight in the holder, is it corroded, does it have continuity?

If questionable just replace it with a 8 amp normal blow fuse.

The bridge has 4 wires on it, two blue/white wires for the AC input and a violet and black output. With a DMM set to AC volts turn on the game and touch your leads to the blue/white wires at the bridge. You should read 13.5 volts AC. If you have no reading then replace the fuse. If you have a good AC reading then switch the meter to DC volts and test the black and violet wires, you should have 18 volts. If your reading is low or zero BUT you have a good input voltage then your bridge is bad. If your reading is good then you will have to look further for a bad connection. Let me know what you get.

ww (resized).pngww (resized).pngww1 (resized).PNGww1 (resized).PNG
#4706 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

This is a good thing as now it should be easy to find the problem. ....

Really appreciate the help, unfortunately (i guess? Haha) the lights started working again and haven't stopped yet. I have your reply saved for the next time it goes out. I'll let you know

#4707 1 year ago
Quoted from eman4277:

Really appreciate the help, unfotunately (i guess? Haha) the lights started working again and haven't stopped yet. I have your reply saved for the next time it goes out. I'll let you know

When it goes out again you can also check the solder joints of this inductor on the CPU board.

18 volts (resized).PNG18 volts (resized).PNG
#4708 1 year ago

Excited to be back in the Whrilwind club after trading my below average Bad Cats for this above average Whirlwind. Other than a small gouge near the flippers (of course) it's perfect. I'm going to add a little bit of extra lighting in it and an apron magnet but that all you could do to it. I had not gotten to play one of these in a while (sold mine 3 years ago) and this thing is a blast. Best topper ever.

20221209_065844 (resized).jpg20221209_065844 (resized).jpg
#4709 1 year ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

My orbit spinner (B-13339) is pretty janky. I'm trying to buy a new one but can't seem to find it at any online retailer (Steve Young, PPS, Marco, PBL, whatever). Need to buy one. Don't need the bracket and wire or anything, just the spinner.

It's my turn to need the answer to this question! When I google "Williams b-13339" all that comes up is people wanting to buy one, no actual reference to the part being for sale anywhere. The most likely option I've been able to find is this one: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-7861-K It's the same dimensions as the one that was on my game, and it is listed as weighing the same as what my broken one weighs. It's ordered and on its way, and I'll update with how well it does or doesn't work in the game. Hopefully this post will come up in the next person's search and help them out!

Added 9 months ago:

6 month update: this spinner has been working great in my game. I still don’t know 100% if it’s the exactly correct part, but it fits well.

#4710 1 year ago
Quoted from trecemaneras:

It's my turn to need the answer to this question! When I google "Williams b-13339" all that comes up is people wanting to buy one, no actual reference to the part being for sale anywhere. The most likely option I've been able to find is this one: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-7861-K It's the same dimensions as the one that was on my game, and it is listed as weighing the same as what my broken one weighs. It's ordered and on its way, and I'll update with how well it does or doesn't work in the game. Hopefully this post will come up in the next person's search and help them out!

I ordered the same exact one, unfortunately it hangs a bit to the right instead of in the middle but it does work perfectly, and I'm happy with it. The best way would be to get the one with the straight arms and bend it to fit the machine, but I would probably mess it up if I tried that.

I ordered some orange reflexive tape off amazon and I think it looks exactly like the original game (from the little information i could find. I saw it on a youtube video and verified on the ps4 game). It cost me $16 bucks but i could probably mail you a piece if you want it...
20221014_185918 (resized).jpg20221014_185918 (resized).jpg20221014_193333 (resized).jpg20221014_193333 (resized).jpg20221014_201924 (resized).jpg20221014_201924 (resized).jpg

#4711 1 year ago

Do you oil the topper fan? If so... would Super Lube work well for this? Thanks

#4712 1 year ago
Quoted from eman4277:

I ordered the same exact one, unfortunately it hangs a bit to the right instead of in the middle but it does work perfectly, and I'm happy with it. The best way would be to get the one with the straight arms and bend it to fit the machine, but I would probably mess it up if I tried that.

I would mess it up too, haha! I’m glad to hear that the spinner works well for you

Quoted from eman4277:

I ordered some orange reflexive tape off amazon and I think it looks exactly like the original game (from the little information i could find. I saw it on a youtube video and verified on the ps4 game).

That looks really, really sharp, that orange! The spinner in my game is just black with a silver reflective decal, but I have no way of knowing if it’s original to the game. E3CF9DBC-A2EE-4685-86F1-E199E717E6E5 (resized).jpegE3CF9DBC-A2EE-4685-86F1-E199E717E6E5 (resized).jpeg I have replacement decals ordered matching the ones on the old spinner, but that orange looks too good!

#4713 1 year ago
Quoted from eman4277:

I ordered some orange reflexive tape off amazon and I think it looks exactly like the original game (from the little information i could find. I saw it on a youtube video and verified on the ps4 game). It cost me $16 bucks but i could probably mail you a piece if you want it...
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Promo material for the game seems to show an orange reflective spinner. I’d gladly send you a few bucks to cover shipping if you could send some my way. Pm sent.

D70836C4-9305-4498-AD24-E4B2364960E5 (resized).jpegD70836C4-9305-4498-AD24-E4B2364960E5 (resized).jpeg
#4714 1 year ago

The only flaw in the game. Gotta fix this touchup in this one spot. The psint is a pattern if you look close.

20221209_200653 (resized).jpg20221209_200653 (resized).jpg
#4715 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Excited to be back in the Whrilwind club after trading my below average Bad Cats for this above average Whirlwind.

Welcome back to the club!

My most controversial opinion in pinball is that Whirlwind is a better *playing* game than TAF (since their layouts are so similar). Much more flow and speed, better music too. Just an all around classic.

#4716 1 year ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Whirlwind is a better *playing* game than TAF (since their layouts are so similar). Much more flow and speed, better music too. Just an all around classic.

I agree! I’m so glad Whirlwind hasn’t been swept up in the collectible, must-have mania like many of its contemporaries have been, otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to buy mine. It’s such a great game, and you could buy three for the price of one TAF!

#4717 1 year ago
Quoted from cconway84:

Promo material for the game seems to show an orange reflective spinner. I’d gladly send you a few bucks to cover shipping if you could send some my way. Pm sent.
[quoted image]

Nice, I grabbed this screenshot off a youtube video where somebody was restoring a whirlwind, I thought it looked like it would be the original one so thats what I based my search off of.

I put a couple strips in the mail, lmk what you think when you get it

Screenshot_20221009-223202 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20221009-223202 (resized).jpg
#4718 1 year ago

Mine's silver.

#4719 1 year ago

I have a question about multi-ball. Once in a while - perhaps once per every few games - the ball that is locked will shoot out and I get a kind of multi-ball. There isn't any audio-clues and it is always a total surprise as the ball isn't in the ramp/trough or down in the cellar but it happens so seldom its hard to see if there is a pattern. I don't see anything in the manual about a set of shots that would create that kind of multi-ball.

I thought it might be a faulty switch so I replaced the number 1 switch in the left-side trough but it doesn't seem to have affected it. I can't really tell if something is wrong or if this is normal behavior. Is this something that is normal?

#4720 1 year ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I can't really tell if something is wrong or if this is normal behavior. Is this something that is normal?

The only 2 multiballs are the quick multiball (2 balls) when you lock one ball under the ramp, and the full multiball when you lock 2 in the left and 1 under the ramp (or by hitting the third one up the left ramp). Oh and the cellar multiball when you get to the cellar within 15 seconds of the full multiball if you lost 2 balls and never hit the million plus.

I had a similar issue and it was due to the wire bouncing off on the number 1 switch. I resoldered and haven't had a problem since. You said that you replaced it but double check that you don't have any loose wires or anything like that

#4721 1 year ago
Quoted from eman4277:

The only 2 multiballs are the quick multiball (2 balls) when you lock one ball under the ramp, and the full multiball when you lock 2 in the left and 1 under the ramp (or by hitting the third one up the left ramp). Oh and the cellar multiball when you get to the cellar within 15 seconds of the full multiball if you lost 2 balls and never hit the million plus.
I had a similar issue and it was due to the wire bouncing off on the number 1 switch. I resoldered and haven't had a problem since. You said that you replaced it but double check that you don't have any loose wires or anything like that

It could also be any of the 3 ball lock switches. Most likely lock 2. If it sees a closure of that switch while there is still one on the playfield and one in the trough, it will eject the ball as it sees too many balls in the game.

#4722 1 year ago

thanks guys!

#4723 1 year ago

Excited to be back in the Whrilwind club after trading my below average Bad Cats for this above average Whirlwind. Other than a small gouge near the flippers (of course) it's perfect. I'm going to add a little bit of extra lighting in it and an apron magnet but that all you could do to it. I had not gotten to play one of these in a while (sold mine 3 years ago) and this thing is a blast. Best topper ever.
[quoted image]

The blue alphanumeric display suits this game very well!

#4724 1 year ago

The only flaw in the game. Gotta fix this touchup in this one spot. The psint is a pattern if you look close.
[quoted image]

What is the method for fixing that paint pattern? Looks difficult, but maybe there is an easy fix?

#4725 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Update on my progress:

5A fuse has been holding up fine so far, thank you for the recommendation! I successfully swapped out my MPU with the recently acquired refurbished original System 11B board. It has restored full functionality to the rottendog display (haven't tried swapping back to the original display) and the game plays just fine without any hint of locking up so far. Just as DumbAss stated, I am getting louder callouts with the correct MPU installed. I even hit my all time high score of 21.7M! I achieved a moment in the game I'd never seen before where all cellar bonuses activated at once! I got a little worried for a moment because I thought the game might be glitching out but it was quite a show!

I still need to get the the A/C relay corrected. I will tackle that later this week.

In the meantime, I'm curious about a couple of things:

Is it normal for the backbox lighting to flicker/flash when the ball travels the ramp en route to a ball lock? Or other in game events? I'm still kind of wondering if all of my wiring is correct.

When I turned the machine on with the System 11A board installed, the storm spinners would fire up at full speed. With the System 11B board, that doesn't happen. I just hear the game start humming. What is the correct bootup sequence?

Thanks again for the help! I would have never gotten this far on my own!

#4726 1 year ago
Quoted from AssaultSuit:

Update on my progress:
5A fuse has been holding up fine so far, thank you for the recommendation! I successfully swapped out my MPU with the recently acquired refurbished original System 11B board. It has restored full functionality to the rottendog display (haven't tried swapping back to the original display) and the game plays just fine without any hint of locking up so far. Just as DumbAss stated, I am getting louder callouts with the correct MPU installed. I even hit my all time high score of 21.7M! I achieved a moment in the game I'd never seen before where all cellar bonuses activated at once! I got a little worried for a moment because I thought the game might be glitching out but it was quite a show!
I still need to get the the A/C relay corrected. I will tackle that later this week.
In the meantime, I'm curious about a couple of things:
Is it normal for the backbox lighting to flicker/flash when the ball travels the ramp en route to a ball lock? Or other in game events? I'm still kind of wondering if all of my wiring is correct.
When I turned the machine on with the System 11A board installed, the storm spinners would fire up at full speed. With the System 11B board, that doesn't happen. I just hear the game start humming. What is the correct bootup sequence?
Thanks again for the help! I would have never gotten this far on my own!

They shouldn’t spin on power up unless there is a missing ball detected. It spins them in case one is hung up on a spinner. If all 3 are in the trough, no spin.

#4727 1 year ago
Quoted from AssaultSuit:

I achieved a moment in the game I'd never seen before where all cellar bonuses activated at once!

The Mega Door Bonus. Y'all come back now.

Quoted from AssaultSuit:

When I turned the machine on with the System 11A board installed, the storm spinners would fire up at full speed.

I would not trust anything on that 11A board. It clearly has alkaline corrosion.

#4728 1 year ago

Tonight, I decided it was time to tackle the auxiliary power relay. I was quickly dismayed by the fact that my desoldering gun's tip had too small of a hole to properly desolder the large pointed pins of the relay. But, I soldiered on and with my silicone tipped pump I was able to remove about 98% of the solder. The relay was still wedged in there and I tried a few things with no luck at first...

What did work was to gently twist each pin with needle nose pliers until the relay wiggled free. And thankfully, soldering in the new relay was fairly easy. After reinstalling the board I cut the old relay open to see what it looked like.

I was hoping to see something obvious, but alas it looked clean to me. I was getting worried that my efforts were not going to bear any fruit. With a few moments pause and a quick prayer, I flipped the switch...

Complete success!!!!! What a relief it was to see and hear the various tests execute correctly! I can now play my Whirlwind as it was intended to be enjoyed!

There are a couple little things I'd like to clear up though. One is the post on the right side of the cellar door lights (on the red light side). The threaded stem seems too short for holding this metal bracket and the plastic piece. It could only catch 2-3 threads as it was, but has now stripped to the point of catching nothing at all...any advice for this?

And finally, I take this threaded candy cane of a rod to be the tilt sensor. If that's the case, should there be a weighted nut on the end of it? I never get any tilts no matter how hard I push the playfield.

Thanks again for all the help! Very happy right now!

IMG_1310 (resized).JPGIMG_1310 (resized).JPGIMG_1311 (resized).JPGIMG_1311 (resized).JPGIMG_1312 (resized).JPGIMG_1312 (resized).JPGIMG_1313 (resized).JPGIMG_1313 (resized).JPG
#4729 1 year ago
Quoted from AssaultSuit:

When I got home I set my DMM to DC, connected the black lead to the backbox strap and touched the read lead to the tab of Q8 while the machine was in attract mode. I got a reading of about .681
I say about because before I could write it down I was alarmed to discover the machine was completely locked up. I turned it off and right back on. Alphanumeric display was flickering garbled mess. It locked back up after just a few seconds.
I unplugged the machine and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes. I plugged it back in and it looked ok for a few moments. Then the flickering display started, which transitioned into nonsense, and then the machine locked up.
It now sits, unplugged.
I am completely distraught and am terrified that I just destroyed my pinball machine.

Since you read .681 volts, which really is zero volts. This means the coil in the relay has an open in the winding. You will not see anything out of the ordinary.

For the tilt issue you need something like this. https://www.pinballlife.com/plumb-bob-with-thumb-screw.html

#4730 1 year ago

Picked up a Tilt apron. Really dig these. Getting closer on my one touchup. I think I'm going to replace these tastful LEDs with 2 smd LEDs and pop ring lights... couple extra strips. I like bright games.
20221214_192228 (resized).jpg20221214_192228 (resized).jpg

#4731 1 year ago

Sooo pirdy! Nice dude love that upgrade

#4732 1 year ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I have a question about multi-ball. Once in a while - perhaps once per every few games - the ball that is locked will shoot out and I get a kind of multi-ball. There isn't any audio-clues and it is always a total surprise as the ball isn't in the ramp/trough or down in the cellar but it happens so seldom its hard to see if there is a pattern. I don't see anything in the manual about a set of shots that would create that kind of multi-ball.
I thought it might be a faulty switch so I replaced the number 1 switch in the left-side trough but it doesn't seem to have affected it. I can't really tell if something is wrong or if this is normal behavior. Is this something that is normal?

I think i may have found the problem

3E791DF6-F947-417F-9366-7080B94F3F14 (resized).jpeg3E791DF6-F947-417F-9366-7080B94F3F14 (resized).jpeg
#4733 1 year ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I think i may have found the problem [quoted image]

Id say that’s a good chance of being the problem

#4734 1 year ago

still looking for item (2-slot coin door bezel #27-1021) #7 (i found the other parts)

door (resized).jpgdoor (resized).jpg
#4735 1 year ago
Quoted from zerbam:

still looking for item (2-slot coin door bezel #27-1021)

This?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/27-1021

#4736 1 year ago

looking for the wide coin bezel used on system 11 coin doors

#4737 1 year ago

Figured that would be too easy...

#4738 1 year ago

Joined this club recently with a diamaond plate game in nice condition
How 'rare' is the diamond plate edition- I read something about 200 made or was there a bigger number produced?

20221219_152021 (resized).jpg20221219_152021 (resized).jpg20221219_152033 (resized).jpg20221219_152033 (resized).jpg
#4739 1 year ago
Quoted from harig:

How 'rare' is the diamond plate edition- I read something about 200 made or was there a bigger number produced?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Good question. I’ve been wondering the same thing. I also heard less than 200.
F1AA397E-00D8-4BF9-9312-568D4208DA04 (resized).jpegF1AA397E-00D8-4BF9-9312-568D4208DA04 (resized).jpeg

#4740 1 year ago
Quoted from harig:

[quoted image][quoted image]

FWIW, mine is diamondplate. When I bought the machine I didn't even know what that was, just that the playfield looked great. Happy to find out that what I have should last.

#4741 1 year ago
Quoted from AssaultSuit:

FWIW, mine is diamondplate. When I bought the machine I didn't even know what that was, just that the playfield looked great. Happy to find out that what I have should last.

Nice collection!

#4742 1 year ago

LOL, likewise!

#4743 1 year ago
Quoted from Pbgixxer:

Good question. I’ve been wondering the same thing. I also heard less than 200.
[quoted image]

Where did you get your rule cards from? They look nice and I like them better than what I found to print out for myself.

#4744 1 year ago
Quoted from AssaultSuit:

Where did you get your rule cards from? They look nice and I like them better than what I found to print out for myself.

Those are the same ones I have, there’s a thread in here somewhere with custom cards for a lot of games. They came from that.

#4745 1 year ago

The grandkids of a friend managed to break the shooter knob on his Whirlwind. There's a chunk of plastic that's missing. I haven't run into this before, can I just use a pliers to break off the rest of the broken knob and screw or press on a new custom knob? Or does the whole shooter rod have to be replaced? Not a big deal either way, just haven't seen that before. Thanks.

#4746 1 year ago

I see the flyer shows red flipper buttons but notice a bunch of machines via Google show yellow.

What do you guys prefer?

#4747 1 year ago

Yellow buttons on mine (so far)

#4748 1 year ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

The grandkids of a friend managed to break the shooter knob on his Whirlwind. There's a chunk of plastic that's missing. I haven't run into this before, can I just use a pliers to break off the rest of the broken knob and screw or press on a new custom knob? Or does the whole shooter rod have to be replaced? Not a big deal either way, just haven't seen that before. Thanks.

Original knob for this should be metal. I would recommend this one:

https://www.pinballlife.com/bally-nickel-plated-shooter-rod.html

Not expensive and will be an easy swap.

#4749 1 year ago

I got a 3 way combo tonight for the first time ever! I was so distracted by watching it I drained my last ball. Worth it though! I'm really happy with this pin!

#4750 1 year ago

I think I'm done messing with Whirlwind. What a great game. I opened up the out-lanes all the way to shorten up the games, replaced the pop bumper lights and some of the insert lights, added an 18" LED strip in the back, a 4" outhole light, and a spot light on the right side. Really happy with this game.

20221224_062525 (resized).jpg20221224_062525 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 5,441 posts in this topic. You are on page 95 of 109.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-club-members-only/page/95 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.