Topic Stats

• 2,940 posts
  • 323 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by ccbiggsoo7
  • Topic is favorited by 154 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 786 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20190815_180345 (resized).jpg
20190804_150315 (resized).jpg
20170924_001356 (resized).jpg
sy11rb1_a03a (resized).jpg
20180506_201111 (resized).jpg
k (resized).PNG
IMG_20190804_213034 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190804_171604 (resized).jpg
74D7149E-477F-4937-B723-EF2B0C09EBEA (resized).jpeg
20190802_223221 (resized).jpg
20190802_223304 (resized).jpg
ww (resized).jpg
20190710_221746 (resized).jpg
A0991078-054B-4A19-B0D0-0A64F7BF39D2 (resized).jpeg
F93A6D28-181A-4650-A5E5-98C1D564E272 (resized).jpeg
5F598813-083C-42E4-A2E4-5EBFA4469040 (resized).jpeg

There are 2940 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 59.
#401 4 years ago

When you go into the switch "level" test does it register the three trough switches as being activated (assuming there are no balls locked)? Having trouble with multiple balls getting loaded into the shooter lane so trying to narrow things down. Thanks

#402 4 years ago
Quoted from mac622:

When you go into the switch "level" test does it register the three trough switches as being activated (assuming there are no balls locked)? Having trouble with multiple balls getting loaded into the shooter lane so trying to narrow things down. Thanks

Switches should only show as being closed when there is something (a ball) closing it. If you have a switch registering as closed without a ball on it, you have a problem. Check your shooter lane switch and the switches in the lock area as well.

#403 4 years ago
Quoted from dozer1:

Are the fan blades touching the screen or something? The fan shouldn't be any louder then a small desk fan. The spinning discs on the other hand often have quite a bit of gear noise to them. I don't know if they run quiet or not if things are in perfect shape. Mine makes some gear noise.

Nope wasn't touching the screen. I actually used "Dupont non stick dry film" lubricant on the moving parts which seemed to help significantly on the fan noise, in the event anyone wants to try a cheap fix that really worked... I didn't use it yet on the gears for the discs yet. I've used that on my Arkanoid video game spinner with success and figured it would work just the same for whirlwind fan. I'm sure buying a new motor for the fan would work the same way but does any one have a source for a cheaper motor 89.95 seems a tad high on marco's site ?

#404 4 years ago

I'm on round #3 of whirlwind....happy to be back in the club. This is the nicest one I've owned and plan on holding on to this one for a while. Awesome game....Its the one that got me started in pinball.

#405 4 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

I'm curious if anyone knows exactly how many Diamond Plate Whirlwinds were made ?

Around 100.

#406 4 years ago

I joined the club. I have to replace some rubber and clean and wax it and rebuild a flipper but soon I will feel the power of the wind. It is not the prettiest Whirlwind, but I am looking forward to playing the snot out of it!

#407 4 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

does any one have a source for a cheaper motor 89.95 seems a tad high on marco's site ?

I hear ya on the "tad high" part, but was not able to find any direct stock replacement any other way. It's great that yours just needed a shot of lube to make it happy. As long as that holds, your in good shape.

1 week later
#408 4 years ago

Hi, Kostas from Athens Greece here. New whirlwind owner with one problem and I need your help. When the ball gets in the cellar it comes out with great speed and I cannot hit it with the flippers as it passes between them almost everytime. You probably laugh but it is so annoying to lose like this...

#409 4 years ago
Quoted from gilerakos:

Hi, Kostas from Athens Greece here. New Whirlwind owner with one problem and I need your help. When the ball gets in the cellar it comes out with great speed and I cannot hit it with the flippers as it passes between them almost everytime. You probably laugh but it is so annoying to lose like this...

I'd check to see what coil you have vs. the manual. Obviously sounds like you have one that's too strong!

#410 4 years ago
Quoted from gilerakos:

Hi, Kostas from Athens Greece here. New Whirlwind owner with one problem and I need your help. When the ball gets in the cellar it comes out with great speed and I cannot hit it with the flippers as it passes between them almost everytime. You probably laugh but it is so annoying to lose like this...

Check to make sure your pin is level. Sounds like it may be pitched to the right a bit. My first pin, a LW3, would kick out of the left saucer and drain. It was slightly off-level. Corrected that and would hit the left flipper.

#411 4 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

I'd check to see what coil you have vs. the manual. Obviously sounds like you have one that's too strong!

Might also be an alignment problem. check the coil is hitting the ball dead center.

#412 4 years ago
Quoted from Jeroen:

Might also be an alignment problem. check the coil is hitting the ball dead center.

Good point. I was reading the issue was that is coming out too fast. Apologies.

#413 4 years ago

Thanks a lot for your help. Turns out the previous owner changed the coil with a stronger one(AE 23 800). I made a modification and I want your opinion. I placed a resistor in series to the coil 3,3 ohm 15 watt and it works excellent now, like some whirlwinds I checked in youtube. You think I will have any problems?

#414 4 years ago

f anyone needs a set of spinner target decals let me know. I didn’t like the way the Marco replacements looked (wrong color and size) so I was able to source a sheet of the material and made my own. I couldn’t think of any uses for the rest of the sheet so I cut the remainder into more decals. The first picture is an original next to a Marco and the other picture is the material I used. Its brighter/more vibrant than the original but it fits the theme well and looks great.

image-341.jpg image-349.jpg
#415 4 years ago

Guys I need some help. Upper flipper is competely dead. Bottom two work fine. I checked all fuses, they are not the problem. Looked at the leaf switch down by the button and it makes contact when the button is pressed. What is the next step I have to take to track this down? I would guess I have to check for power at the coil with my multimeter. What do I set it at and where do I put the probes? Thanks.

#416 4 years ago
Quoted from swenny:

Guys I need some help. Upper flipper is competely dead. Bottom two work fine. I checked all fuses, they are not the problem. Looked at the leaf switch down by the button and it makes contact when the button is pressed. What is the next step I have to take to track this down? I would guess I have to check for power at the coil with my multimeter. What do I set it at and where do I put the probes? Thanks.

Here ya go!:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=general#Testing_a_coil

If there is power at the coil, most likely you have a bad transistor and/or predriver transistor.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=General#Testing_a_Transistor.2C_Silicon_Controlled_Rectifier_.28SCR.29_or_Field_Effect_Transistor_.28FET.29

#417 4 years ago

Just started the photo snapping process for my Whirlwind playfield teardown. Mylar has to be removed. I don't see any paint concerns, but there are 2 inserts that will likely lift which is not fun. Spooky, wish me luck.

#418 4 years ago

Looking to buy or trade for one of these if anyone is interested in unloading one in my region of the country. Would trade a very nice DM.

#419 4 years ago

Looking for help with setting up the full plunge shot from the shooter.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-whirlwind-shooter
-mof

#420 4 years ago

Yay. I can finally join. Mother-In-Law found a WW at a garage sale for $500 yesterday evening. Filthy, but all the grime apparently protected the playfield. Been in a private home since 1999. Fully working; just needs a good cleaning and GI connector work.

#421 4 years ago

I put in a CPR playfield and had some trouble also. I was still having balls hit the post below the bumpers or even the ramp sometimes. I wound up bending the inner ball guide out quite a bit and replacing the shooter housing. It (the original housing) had way too much play in it. Now maybe 1 in 10 plunges don't make it all the way around to the flipper.

#422 4 years ago
Quoted from parkway:

Yay. I can finally join. Mother-In-Law found a WW at a garage sale for $500 yesterday evening. Filthy, but all the grime apparently protected the playfield. Been in a private home since 1999. Fully working; just needs a good cleaning and GI connector work.

BB..but there are no more deals on Sys 11 games! They are all gone and dried up and too expensive blah blah blah

EXCELLENT SCORE! Hope it cleans up nicely and plays well! Post some pics!

#423 4 years ago

Here's an easy question:

How do you increase the bonus multiplier in Whirlwind?

-mof

#424 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Here's an easy question:
How do you increase the bonus multiplier in Whirlwind?
Every time you lock a ball.

#426 4 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

BB..but there are no more deals on Sys 11 games! They are all gone and dried up and too expensive blah blah blah
EXCELLENT SCORE! Hope it cleans up nicely and plays well! Post some pics!

Thanks! Was very lucky though. The homeowner had just "opened" the sale and my MIL was walking by. My family has strict orders to alert me to any kind of pinball-related item for sale; she did good. According to seller (moving and trying to jettison stuff before they go to Florida), it was moved out of a dry cleaners (weird) that closed down and had been sitting in their home rec room since 1999 when they moved into their current home. The black rubbers are shot, almost all of the bulbs are out, thick coat of black dust on everything, batteries had a "use by 2003" date on them (but no leakage!), and it's pretty dinged up (but I don't care about cabinet condition as long as no water damage). Cool thing is all the original paperwork is still in the cabinet (mylar instructions, registration card, "operator's manual", instruction guide, setup guide explaining the proper pitch, all the bonus cards indicating a free game with x number of points, etc.) as well as a piece of carbon that might have been the receipt for the purchase of the game. Cleaning up well so far; have rubber and a some LED's on order from Marco, along with some Cliffy protectors. Here's some pictures I took before I started tearing the playfield down. Looks dirtier in person than it does in pictures:

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG

#427 4 years ago

Pretty good shape for a non-DP playfield! I have mine ripped down to the posts at the moment. If you need pics let me know.

#428 4 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Pretty good shape for a non-DP playfield! I have mine ripped down to the posts at the moment. If you need pics let me know.

Yeah it does look great! Wasn't played much from '99 to present so I'm sure that helps.

Thanks for the offer for pictures. Hopefully I don't need to take you up on it. So far so good. One advantage to it probably not having been waxed in its life is no wax stuck in the posts!

#429 4 years ago

That Whirlwing should clean up nicely.

I bought a similar one recently... The guy has owned it for 20 years. The machine broke down in '97 and had sat, un-played until I bought it.

It really cleaned up good.

#430 4 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

That Whirlwing should clean up nicely.
I bought a similar one recently... The guy has owned it for 20 years. The machine broke down in '97 and had sat, un-played until I bought it.
It really cleaned up good.

Yup so far so good. So far Novus 1 took all the black crap off the mylared areas and most everything else. A little bit of ME and alcohol took care of the rest. I still have yet to take apart the ramps but they're pretty yucky; lots of polishing needed.

Only thing electronically it needed was the GI header on the interconnect board was toast; a couple of pads were fried right off the board too. Had to stitch that up with some wire and a new header. Replaced connector and good to go. I thought I had screwed up because the lights didn't seem to work after that, but I found out that it was just pretty much all the bulbs were burnt out. Replaced a couple of roll over switches too that someone bent to hell and I ordered the missing orbit gate for the left ramp and it should be like almost new in a week.

I read about painting the lightning board white but am nervous to try that; afraid I won't like it. Any videos out there of the effect with it painted?

#431 4 years ago

No need to paint the lightning board - go to a craft store and get a piece of silver poster board (or other color of choice) and trim it to fit. Cut it right and the lamps will hold it in place.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-club-members-only/page/3#post-1233382

Added link for picture. No video but you get the idea - you don't see the green PCB anymore.

Post edited by hootowls: added link

#432 4 years ago
Quoted from hootowls:

No need to paint the lightning board - go to a craft store and get a piece of silver poster board (or other color of choice) and trim it to fit. Cut it right and the lamps will hold it in place.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-club-members-only/page/3#post-1233382
Added link for picture. No video but you get the idea - you don't see the green PCB anymore.
Post edited by hootowls: added link

Great idea. I'll give it a try.

#433 4 years ago

Just a quick refresh. Picked up another whirlwind today that had the 'W' sticker on top of the Cubs hat the boy is wearing.

Easy to remove the sticker so do it if you have that decal installed.

#434 4 years ago

Whirlwind is a special game to my father and myself it was our first new game in the box.I remember we wanted a diamond plate game and we were told by the distributor that he would open two boxes and we had to take one.Oh yeah
diamond plate was second box, also has translite with sticker covering the Cubs logo (W) which I was told was rare ? The game was covered and waxed and had been pampered. Sits next to a fish tales that was bought new also.WW Favorite shot is sweeping the drop targets ! That never gets old

#435 4 years ago
Quoted from EEE:

Just a quick refresh. Picked up another Whirlwind today that had the 'W' sticker on top of the Cubs hat the boy is wearing.
Easy to remove the sticker so do it if you have that decal installed.

Mine has it, and I am keeping that sticker on. It is fairly rare to find.

#436 4 years ago

Mine has a sticker on the hat and it had one stuck on the bumper of the car.

#437 4 years ago

If anyone has any disassembly pictures they'd like to share I'd love to have them. I have some, but my laptop hard drive went belly-up with some on it that I didn't get copied over. General pictures of the cabinet and backbox wiring would be great too.

Thanks!

#438 4 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

If anyone has any disassembly pictures they'd like to share I'd love to have them. I have some, but my laptop hard drive went belly-up with some on it that I didn't get copied over. General pictures of the cabinet and backbox wiring would be great too.
Thanks!

I will be able to, just have not had any time at all. Hopefully today!

#439 4 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

Thanks!

Some are on this site:
http://www.theteardown.com/gallery/categories.php

#440 4 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

I will be able to, just have not had any time at all. Hopefully today!

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

#441 4 years ago

Just put up 27mil. Still not the 35m I have to put up to regain GC. I've come to appreciate this game much more in my quest to regain GC.

I recently declared WW my "desert island pin" even though I don't consider it in my top 5 -- since it has so much packed into one pin. It's really a masterpiece pin right up there with TAF and TZ.

-mof

#442 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I recently declared WW my "desert island pin" even though I don't consider it in my top 5 -- since it has so much packed into one pin. It's really a masterpiece pin right up there with TAF and TZ.

I agree

#445 4 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

About to be part of the club, my "Diamond Plate" Whirlwind is currently twisting it's way from California to New York.
I'm curious if anyone knows exactly how many Diamond Plate Whirlwinds were made ?

I hear most say anywhere from 100 to around 500 (with a few saying close to 1000), but no one seems to know for sure. I have one and tried to find out myself. Some swear is is below 200, but I'm not sure where they get their facts. I have even tried emailing Pat Lawlor to see if he knows, but got no response .

#446 4 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

Is the fan hmmm I mean super loud F5 tornado supposed to be so incredibly loud !!! It makes almost a grinding noise, any way to help with the audible agony ? The Spinning discs on the playfield are also somewhat loud which same thing can you grease / use some type of a cleaning solution to have a smoother operation of both the Fan topper & spinning discs?

My fan was extremely loud, making grinding screeching noises as well. I took the motor apart and found that the circular bushings were ground down (unevenly as well), causing friction and creating the noise. I did not want to spend the money for the $80+ replacement 26VAC motor, so I bought a new $33 one from Grainger and wired it up to a 90-290Q relay (which the triac board triggers) . The motor is not 26VAC, but 110VAC. I just power it from the interior cabinet outlet. It works great and is super quiet. The spinning discs make gear noise on all the WWs I have seen, but not terrible.

#447 4 years ago

I have a broken post that I think goes where the circle is if I remember correctly. It's a bumper post with the threaded top broken off. Can someone confirm that the long threaded post holding the ramp screws onto the top of this part? I think it's a 02-4056 bumper bracket. Thanks again Dave for the link to the awesome pictures! WWpost.jpg

#448 4 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

I have a broken post that I think goes where the circle is if I remember correctly. It's a bumper post with the threaded top broken off. Can someone confirm that the long threaded post holding the ramp screws onto the top of this part? I think it's a 02-4056 bumper bracket. Thanks again Dave for the link to the awesome pictures!

WWpost.jpg 93 KB

Yes you are correct about the metal post screwing into the top of the bumper post. Here's one of my pictures from above (from a different angle though) before I tore everything down and cleaned it.

293818-i.jpg

#449 4 years ago

Im interested in this as well..... mine has two hex spacers connected together with a screw coming up from under the playfield to secure them.

On mine:
Top Spacer-
hex2.jpg
Bottom Spacer-
hex1.jpg

1 week later
#450 4 years ago

I seriously had the game of my life on WW this morning. This is all glass on, three ball, factory settings. Mega Door bonus three times. I think four multiballs. Tolls maxed during ball 1. Every extra ball..I think, I lost count.

Best part is I'm temp trading it to a friend tomorrow. It's like the game is begging me to keep her around. Think it's a sign? Lol
IMAG1869.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Sale Pending!
Danville, VA
3,150 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Asheville, NC
€ 3.70
2,800 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Commack, NY
There are 2940 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 59.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside