Topic Stats

• 3,045 posts
  • 329 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 hours ago by yaksplat
  • Topic is favorited by 154 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 826 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20190920_103155 (resized).jpg
E6EC59DD-2570-4E9A-A0B8-2FB9B802EAD1 (resized).jpeg
11416D40-0336-437C-BFA0-CCF26EE18026 (resized).png
20190916_092115 (resized).jpg
20190915_113212 (resized).jpg
20190914_125843 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
ww (resized).PNG
E348C22F-3340-44CC-8858-0AE8241F6FF5 (resized).jpeg
0D98A271-7F16-46C3-B201-08B502057E6B (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190912_203457 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Untitled (resized).jpg
image1 (resized).jpg
DSCN4234 (resized).jpg (© Nutty 5.0)
DSCN4646 (resized).JPG (© Nutty 5.0)

There are 3045 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 61.
#351 5 years ago
Quoted from Aeolus7:

Just joined the WW bandwagon. Super excited, very immersive game. Couple WW questions for the group:
1) What playfield pitch do you recommend? 7 degrees? I want difficult but also original
2) LEDs for a non-retina burning experience? Frosted? "retro"? GI? Inserts? Backbox?
3) How "difficult" are your settings? Factory Settings?
4) Is this the correct replacement for the larger black bolts that hold the hinge to the side of the cabinet? I'm missing one:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4322-01139-12B

I have mine somewhere between 6.5 and 7 and it's fast.
I have mine fully LEDed and I love the look. My only problem is the flicker when I hit the ramps. I just leave a little bit of ambient light on.

#352 5 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

I have mine somewhere between 6.5 and 7 and it's fast.
I have mine fully LEDed and I love the look. My only problem is the flicker when I hit the ramps. I just leave a little bit of ambient light on.

I have the same pitch as Hougie.
And I too run LEDs throughout the game EXCEPT in the playfield GI.
I like the look of incandescents in System 11 and System 9 playfield GI. The light the field more evenly.

#353 5 years ago

My top flipper is starting to get a gouge in the rubber from smashing into the metal above it. Any solutions/ideas/further questions? I'm thinking that it's making that shot way harder when the flipper can't travel it's full length.

As for the legs, mine are the 9", any other input from another to compare?

#354 5 years ago
Quoted from zrbrt:

My top flipper is starting to get a gouge in the rubber from smashing into the metal above it. Any solutions/ideas/further questions? I'm thinking that it's making that shot way harder when the flipper can't travel it's full length.

I posted the same question in the general forum and someone replied with a pic of the original flyer which shows the fulled ribbed legs. I guess its one of those areas where Williams was transitioning so they probably came with both styles.

#355 5 years ago
Quoted from zrbrt:

Your coil stop probably is worn down which is allowing the flipper to travel farther than it could originally. I'd look at your coil stop for wear and replace if necessary. The only other option would be to take that ball guide off and file down that edge until it clears the flipper.

#356 5 years ago

I think the legs are more of a personal preference thing. It seems like WPC standard legs seem to be more prevalent and that is also what HEP uses on his restores. My WW didn't have any legs when I picked it up (as a project) and I opted to put System 11 legs on just because I wanted to differentiate it from my WPC games and make it look like other Sys 11 games like BK2K which I had in my collection at the time.

#357 5 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

I have the same pitch as Hougie.
And I too run LEDs throughout the game EXCEPT in the playfield GI.
I like the look of incandescents in System 11 and System 9 playfield GI. The light the field more evenly.

Which LED's do you guys prefer (Cointaker, Ablaze, Noflix, PinballBulbs, etc)? I used the Noflix Plus Superfluz (no flicker, etc) in my TZ and thought they were great but that was 3 years ago so interested what you guys are using and prefer nowadays. Also, what colors did you use under the yellow and orange inserts and did you color match the 906 LEDs? I, really like the incandescent look for the GI so I probably won't do those.

This thread is good timing because I'm just about done with my cabinet and will be starting my pf re-assembly probably this weekend. Here are some pics: www4.jpgwww3.jpgwww2.jpgwww1.jpg

#358 5 years ago

Just got a whirlwind. Are you supposed to be able to make the million point ramp out of the shooter lane?

#359 5 years ago

No, it's supposed to plunge up and around back down to the top right flipper - let me know if you figure out how to adjust it!

EDIT: It's adjustable through the hole in the plastic by the ball guide, but mine just points straight at the rubber to the right of the millions ramp. I am confused how I could get it to move any further right.

#360 5 years ago

I can't get mine to shoot high enough either. Spent a few hours dicking with it... No joy

#361 5 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I can't get mine to shoot high enough either. Spent a few hours dicking with it... No joy

You may have to adjust the left shooter lane guide a bit as well. Treveism was having a similar problem and we figured out that the inner/left shooter guide also needed to be bent just a smidge.
Also, check he playfield level both at the bottom, middle and top of the playfield. You may need to do a half turn of a leg leveler here or there.
Whirlwind really needs a lot of little tweaks to be completely dialed-in.
I know from experience.

#362 5 years ago

thanks for the tip, i'm gonna go monkey with it.

#363 5 years ago

One more thing I forgot.
Make sure the shooter tip is hitting the ball dead center. A bit of topspin/backspin can also cause the ball to not roll around the inner orbit.

#364 5 years ago

got it working! i noticed someone had slightly bent the very end of the adjustable guide.

#365 5 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

got it working! i noticed someone had slightly bent the very end of the adjustable guide.

BOOM!
Glad you got'er working.
Now get to the cellar and enjoy.

#366 5 years ago

Anybody know where you can get the compression ring that holds the topper fan on to the shaft? I gently loosened mine to take the fan off, but since I have put it back on I can't get it tight enough to hold the fan in place. The fan will spin fine, but gradually moves up the shaft towards the motor.

#367 5 years ago
Quoted from swenny:

Anybody know where you can get the compression ring that holds the topper fan on to the shaft? I gently loosened mine to take the fan off, but since I have put it back on I can't get it tight enough to hold the fan in place. The fan will spin fine, but gradually moves up the shaft towards the motor.

Swenny I had that issue too. I used a vacuum plug from a car to make that thickness up. Something similar should work. I'll try and dig up my old post.

#369 5 years ago

Thanks, I'll check it out.

2 weeks later
#370 5 years ago

Can anyone tell me where the threaded post 02-4342 is located on Whirlwind playfield? I am in the process of swapping playfields and I guess I didn't take a picture of it before removing it to throw it in the tumbler. A pic would be great but good description is suffice. Thanks in advance.

#371 5 years ago

my guess is you cant see it in the pictures you have because it had a black sleeve on it when you photographed it?

random example http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2765&picno=25881

#372 5 years ago

Here are some good pictures http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album531 skip to page 18 for closeups of the playfield.

#373 5 years ago

Thanks for the pics. I had already looked on IPDB with no luck. I also could not find the post I am looking for in the link lurch sent me but it did give me some other great pics to look at while reassembling. Christopher Hutchins did a great job documenting his high end restore and gave me some great tips on my restore. I will continue to look in pics for the mysterious hex post or go visit another local that owns a Whirlwind. Thanks for the replies.

2 weeks later
#374 5 years ago
Quoted from mac622:

Which LED's do you guys prefer (Cointaker, Ablaze, Noflix, PinballBulbs, etc)? I used the Noflix Plus Superfluz (no flicker, etc) in my TZ and thought they were great but that was 3 years ago so interested what you guys are using and prefer nowadays. Also, what colors did you use under the yellow and orange inserts and did you color match the 906 LEDs? I, really like the incandescent look for the GI so I probably won't do those.
This thread is good timing because I'm just about done with my cabinet and will be starting my pf re-assembly probably this weekend. Here are some pics:

Getting ready to order some LED's and wondering what color you guys use under the yellow and orange inserts and if you use color matched flashers as well? I'm keeping the GI incandescent. Thanks

#375 5 years ago
Quoted from mac622:

Getting ready to order some LED's and wondering what color you guys use under the yellow and orange inserts and if you use color matched flashers as well? I'm keeping the GI incandescent. Thanks

Usually warm whites work the best in orange and yellow inserts but you may want to experiment to see what you like. I usually color match the others. Same deal for me with flashers as I color match except yellow and oranges are better with warm whites. I like cool white flashers in white domes. But WW usually doesn't like LED flashers without some modifications. I think I kept all incandescent for the flashers on mine.

#376 5 years ago

I matched everything that wasn't yellow/orange and used warm whites/oranges in yellow/orange. I really couldn't tell too much of a difference between the orange/warm white in the orange inserts. I used incandescent flashers on the top ramps/cellar door so that everything registers. I also used blue flashers on the back rail for when the thunder strikes, and I also used a bit of purple in the GI in the back strip there with warm whites for the GI/spots for the GI.

I could see leaving the GI as incandescent for sure - I might go back to it.

#377 5 years ago
Quoted from zrbrt:

I could see leaving the GI as incandescent for sure - I might go back to it.

I went back to incandescent GI on my whirlwind about a year ago. I doubt I'll ever put the LEDs back in the GI. The game looks way better with the softness incandescents put out.

#378 5 years ago

I love the look of the gi in cool white LED's. I have pictures of it on page 3 of this thread. My only problem is that it's like a seizure bomb if you have the room lights off and you hit the right ramp.

#379 5 years ago

mine is for sale in the market place. reduced to 1,800.

#380 5 years ago

Good fortune has smiled upon me. Whirlwind is off the market.
Resume playing pinball

#381 5 years ago

Can anyone who has a CPR repro PF installed comment on how it compares to an original DiamondPlate one?

#382 5 years ago

Just hit the 3-way combo today. I started multiball from it. Totally caught me by surprise. It's definitely one of the coolest combos in pinball!

1 week later
#383 5 years ago

Rules question: This morning I was on Ball 3 and I had QMB flashing as the last Cellar Door Award and I had two balls locked. So I hit the cellar, which lights QMB, but since it was the last award it also lit Mega Door Bonus. So I thought, I wonder what would happen if I start Mega Door Bonus with QMB already lit because Mega Door Bonus lights QMB again. So I hit the cellar to get Mega Door Bonus. I shoot for the right ramp saucer, it goes in, dribbles out, and then I...DRAIN!! AHHHHH. So the question is, are the jackpots worth more if you have QMB lit twice AND start regular multi ball from the saucer? I'm guessing probably not, but it does have me wondering.

#384 5 years ago

If you have multi ball set up and you hit the cellar and get quick multi ball set up and start multi ball then you hit the jackpot shot it does give you 3 million on the first jackpot instead of 2 million.
It's a blast when you can set it up.

#385 5 years ago

Yep. Super awesome when this is setup. But my question is what happens if you have two Quick Multiballs setup due to my example in my last post. I doubt it's any more than 3 million but just wondered if anyone has ever verified this.

#386 5 years ago

I'm not sure on that one. I'm gonna have to try to set that up.
Cool, I have a new goal.

#387 5 years ago

Exactly what I was thinking. Can't believe I did have it setup and totally blew it. Ha.

1 week later
#388 5 years ago

Hey sign me up as a member! I just moved my WW to Hawaii. Had it since '99. About to start the led pick process, I've been reading the threads, has anyone found an acceptable LED for the flashers and cellar lights, or should I just go for incandescents? I get the idea the LEDs register late?

WWJuly14.jpg
#389 5 years ago
Quoted from Whirlwinder:

I just moved my WW to Hawaii

That fan will come in very handy there! Great game and it is talked about on pinside much more than Waterworld. I wonder what the reason would be for WW to be the acronym for waterworld instead of whirlwind on pinside?

#390 5 years ago

Can someone share a pic of the rubber layout under the 3 bank plastic? I forgot to take a pic of that area before the teardown. Thanks

#391 5 years ago
Quoted from mac622:

Can someone share a pic of the rubber layout under the 3 bank plastic? I forgot to take a pic of that area before the teardown. Thanks

Here ya go.
image.jpg

#392 5 years ago

Awesome - thanks!

1 week later
#393 5 years ago

Just joined the club.Awesome game,great play and feel.Can't wait to get home and play it some more!!!!!!

#394 5 years ago

Kind of joined with a massive project this weekend. I am about to go unload it from the car now and will get some pics up.

#395 5 years ago

Great game have owned over a decade. Always fun.

3 weeks later
#396 5 years ago

Looking for this part:
http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=510

Marco has it for $50 with all the parts, but I can rivet myself. Help!

Thing snapped off at the rivets, SNAP!

#397 5 years ago

Are you looking for a used piece?

#398 5 years ago

About to be part of the club, my "Diamond Plate" Whirlwind is currently twisting it's way from California to New York.

I'm curious if anyone knows exactly how many Diamond Plate Whirlwinds were made ?

#399 5 years ago

OK after waiting it out in the cellar, the storm is over ! Finally I'm officially part of the Whirlwind club ! Really stoked however a few questions.

Whirlwind Diamond Plate Club!

Is the fan hmmm I mean super loud F5 tornado supposed to be so incredibly loud !!! It makes almost a grinding noise, any way to help with the audible agony ? The Spinning discs on the playfield are also somewhat loud which same thing can you grease / use some type of a cleaning solution to have a smoother operation of both the Fan topper & spinning discs?

I don't mind ordering anything specific for the game as I was thinking of placing an order shortly to create a whirlwind goodie bag for my self.

#400 5 years ago

Are the fan blades touching the screen or something? The fan shouldn't be any louder then a small desk fan. The spinning discs on the other hand often have quite a bit of gear noise to them. I don't know if they run quiet or not if things are in perfect shape. Mine makes some gear noise.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 50.00
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Machine - For Sale
Gardner, MA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
There are 3045 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 61.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside