New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 62621)

Whirlwind Club... Members Only!

By mof

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3,911 posts
  • 374 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Jmckune
  • Topic is favorited by 176 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,106 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

F4885FF5-9339-4396-803F-5D5DCA839921 (resized).jpeg
D299D0CA-FD88-46C9-A8E7-07EA66BA7E18 (resized).jpeg
27DA8B0A-759A-4EB3-AC72-BE898E95AE12 (resized).jpeg
4CBAEC8E-8CFB-48D8-B593-60DCEA4D538C (resized).jpeg
C7AB1838-5FC7-48B4-ACB8-D235AB376C9B (resized).jpeg
20201019_190048 (resized).jpg
20201019_190040 (resized).jpg
20201011_163452 (resized).jpg
20201011_112921 (resized).jpg
20201011_112942 (resized).jpg
AA09E3D0-9D2E-4F04-AD16-F59AF41695F7 (resized).jpeg
20201007_214800 (resized).jpg
DCFA27D2-6FDD-4869-B3C9-908D771A3544 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20201006-194157~2 (resized).png
20200928_000704 (resized).jpg
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-26 at 17.22.05 (7) (resized).jpeg

There are 3911 posts in this topic. You are on page 78 of 79.
#3851 33 days ago
Quoted from Slash:

Had a couple of alignment queries after my restoration and playfield swap.
The right orbit shot - I understand this is supposed to end up hitting the low pressure pops, not go straight through them and onto the flippers (or SDTM quite often). My question is which bumper is it supposed to hit first or should it hit the post and rubber at the end of the metal guide that it feeds around?
The kickout from the cellar - should this land straight onto the left flipper or should it hit the left slingshot?
A full plunge from the shooter lane - mine goes part way up the left ramp then rolls back down, is this where it should be or should it go around the inside orbit? I know the skill shot should hit the 3 bank drop targets, but I just wondered where a full plunge should end up?[quoted image][quoted image]

Right orbit: On my stock playfield - always low press pops but I can't recall exactly where it hit. On the repro mirco playfield (before adjustment it went straight down the middle) a majority of the time it hits the left pop. If the ball is slow coming out of the orbit it might catch the rubber at the end of the ball guide and hit the lower right pop or come out of the area without touching a pop, either SDTM or to the flipper.

Kickout from cellar: I don't recall the original playfield action. On the repro most of the time it barely grazes the top of the left sling near the post and then on to the left flipper. Sling does not activate. Occasionally it will miss the left sling and go straight to the flipper.

A full plunge from the shooter lane: On the original it went to the left orbit ("SW"). If I hit the plunger instead of pulling it would go partially up the left ramp. On the repro, I adjusted so it goes to the left orbit on the full plunge. I was never able to reproduce the ball partially going up the left ramp with a plunger smack on the mirco field, it always goes to the left orbit.

IMG_8955 (resized).JPGIMG_8956 (resized).JPGIMG_8958 (resized).JPG
#3852 32 days ago
Quoted from Slash:

The right orbit shot

On mine, a ball from the right orbit will hit the leftmost pop first, then do its thing in the pop bumper nest before dribbling out.

Quoted from Slash:

The kickout from the cellar

While not always 100%, a clean eject should feed the ball to the left flipper. It’s usually pretty easy to trap and cradle the ball after it’s been ejected.

Quoted from Slash:

A full plunge from the shooter lan

A tricky adjustment to make, but a full plunge should send the ball across the playfield, through the green SW target shot, around the top of the high pressure jets, and back down to the upper right flipper.

#3853 26 days ago

My Whirlwind is for sale for $2800 and open to offers: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/103143
1 note: only pick up in the Netherlands, I will not ship.

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-26 at 17.22.05 (7) (resized).jpeg
#3854 25 days ago

I noticed this cutout piece from 1 of the ramps. Is this normal & if so... what is it's purpose?

20200928_000704 (resized).jpg

Ignore... I figured it's to get to the locknut.

#3855 25 days ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

noticed this cutout piece

that's normal. its a space for nut driver access to the bracket nut below.

#3856 25 days ago
Quoted from Slash:

Had a couple of alignment queries after my restoration and playfield swap.
The right orbit shot - I understand this is supposed to end up hitting the low pressure pops, not go straight through them and onto the flippers (or SDTM quite often). My question is which bumper is it supposed to hit first or should it hit the post and rubber at the end of the metal guide that it feeds around?
The kickout from the cellar - should this land straight onto the left flipper or should it hit the left slingshot?
A full plunge from the shooter lane - mine goes part way up the left ramp then rolls back down, is this where it should be or should it go around the inside orbit? I know the skill shot should hit the 3 bank drop targets, but I just wondered where a full plunge should end up?[quoted image][quoted image]

Mine hits the left bumper without hitting the the post/rubber.
My cellar door kickout hits my slingshot, but I dont know that it should. Looking straight down it seems like my left slingshot rubber sticks out more than my right.
My full plunge does not hit the inside orbit, it shoots it a little too far up. A slightly less than full plunge hits the orbit. That said I think my playfield angle is low after moving the machine, which I will check later as it could affect where the plunge goes.

#3857 24 days ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

My Whirlwind is for sale for $2800 and open to offers: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/103143
1 note: only pick up in the Netherlands, I will not ship.[quoted image]

Sale pending

#3858 24 days ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Appreciate the heads up, but it can't be worse than mine. Repro, NOS,or used unbroken I'm happy.

one on there for $23 its a repo thats about all your gonna find unless you buy a new set. piece is always broken so get a protector.

#3859 23 days ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

1 note: only pick up in the Netherlands, I will not ship.[quoted image]

That looks really nice! Good luck.

#3860 21 days ago

Hey guys, my Whirlwind is on the container ship from Italy right now. I have a question about power conversion. When I got my Rescue 911 (Gottlieb System 3) I had to change the power jumper (A12J5) in addition to the actual wall plug. Is there something similar I will need for the Whirlwind?

#3861 21 days ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Hey guys, my Whirlwind is on the container ship from Italy right now. I have a question about power conversion. When I got my Rescue 911 (Gottlieb System 3) I had to change the power jumper (A12J5) in addition to the actual wall plug. Is there something similar I will need for the Whirlwind?

Whirlwind has a 9 pin connector going into the transformer that you'll need to repin for the proper voltage levels

#3862 21 days ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

That looks really nice! Good luck.

Thank you!

It just got sold so I'm out of the club...
Hope to be back someday as it is a great machine, it just had to go now to make room for a project pin

#3863 21 days ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Hey guys, my Whirlwind is on the container ship from Italy right now.

Curious to know if you don't mind sharing - how much does shipping a machine from Italy cost?

#3864 21 days ago

we have a group that gets a container mostly full of machines to share the cost. It ends up being about $200 per machine depending on how many are in the group. I think its cheaper than shipping from east coast to west coast...lol

#3865 21 days ago

Thanks for the info. $200 seems like a great deal!

#3866 21 days ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Whirlwind has a 9 pin connector going into the transformer that you'll need to repin for the proper voltage levels

thanks.. took me a bit but I found it on PinWiki...

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#Transformer_Power_Selection_Connector

#3867 19 days ago

Trying to make one. The pic doesn’t show which side has a groove or clip. Can anyone tell me what the orientation should be?

#3868 18 days ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Trying to make one. The pic doesn’t show which side has a groove or clip. Can anyone tell me what the orientation should be?

Look very careful, the connector pins are numbered.

#3869 17 days ago

Hi, since 2 weeks a Whirlwind owner . My first pin, so lots to learn...

I'm gonna replace the topper for a new one and looking for some lights (leds) underneath. I've seen some mods, but I'm curious how to connect those lights?

I want to use the light setup of the lightning at the back of the playfield. When the flashers are on, the Topper also flashes, etc... Just connect the wires to the lamp/light socket of that specific flasher? Or...?

#3870 17 days ago
Quoted from PinballZZZ:

I'm gonna replace the topper for a new one and looking for some lights (leds) underneath. I've seen some mods, but I'm curious how to connect those lights?
I want to use the light setup of the lightning at the back of the playfield. When the flashers are on, the Topper also flashes, etc... Just connect the wires to the lamp/light socket of that specific flasher? Or...?

Personally I'd just power an ardiuino off of the 5v line. Use the flashers as input and then design your own light show in the arduino program. You can trigger it differently, from different flashers.

#3871 17 days ago
Quoted from PinballZZZ:

I think I know the mod that you're referring to. If it's the one here on pinside it's plug and play- it's a double sided connector. I installed it on mine, really nothing to it. It's been 100% reliable too.

#3872 17 days ago

Thanks yaksplat and truemagoo102.

truemagoo102 do you have some pictures for me maybe? I'm very curious where that double sided connector is located, dont know if the mod is still available?

#3873 17 days ago

Is there a way to pull out the playfield towards the front so I can get to the rear to take out ramps etc?

#3874 17 days ago

You can unplug everything and take the PF out of cabinet. Pretty much only good to do if you have a rotisserie

#3875 17 days ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Is there a way to pull out the playfield towards the front so I can get to the rear to take out ramps etc?

Get a friend to hold the playfield in the air while you work :/

#3876 17 days ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Kinda sorta. I know it’s not officially sanctioned, but what I do is lift the playfield up and out of the pivot, pull the playfield forward, and drop the cabinet bolts behind the bracket. Then you can slide it forward on the wood. If you look, you might actually see gouges left from an operator doing the same thing. You’ll just need a hunk of heavy foam or a piece of wood to keep the lower playfield propped slightly so you don’t rest it on any of the mechanical bits on the lockdown receiver.

#3877 17 days ago

Does anyone have an extra of this plastic? Any condition is ok as long as it's not broken.

Screenshot_20201006-194157~2 (resized).png
#3878 17 days ago
Quoted from Pinash:

Any condition is ok as long as it's not broken.

I have this:

DCFA27D2-6FDD-4869-B3C9-908D771A3544 (resized).jpeg

It’s pretty banged up, but it’s yours if you want it.

#3879 16 days ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Hey guys, my Whirlwind is on the container ship from Italy right now. I have a question about power conversion. Is there something similar I will need for the Whirlwind?

Quoted from mark532011:

There should be plenty of people at the unload and most people at the unload will have previously purchased a "container" machine and be able to help you convert the line voltage jumpers. There is also usually the same previous post to the group about this just before the container arrives. Post to the group. You'll find plenty of help there.

If you're concerned about this then come prepared to set up the machine. The unload location is always the same and there is a garage there (and someone can bring a tent / cover if needed). Set up the machine and have someone help you through the conversion process. It's VERY easy.

You will need (if I go to an unload I usually bring):

- a 0.093" Molex pin extractor.
- a new jumper wire (2"-3" 18AWG wire, 2x 0.093" Molex pins, a Molex pin crimper and wire stripper).

#3880 16 days ago

I'm gonna replace the topper and the fan for a new one.

How to remove the fan blade? Do I need to remove the metal ring?

20201007_214800 (resized).jpg
#3881 16 days ago

You shouldn't need to take that off. Just pry from the back and go slow.

#3882 15 days ago

Had my best game ever today! Super Cellar Awarded 3 times, paid the skyway, 3 or 4 main multiballs. Whew!!

AA09E3D0-9D2E-4F04-AD16-F59AF41695F7 (resized).jpeg
#3883 14 days ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Had my best game ever today! Super Cellar Awarded 3 times, paid the skyway, 3 or 4 main multiballs. Whew!!
[quoted image]

Wow!

#3884 12 days ago

I removed the mylar using the upside down canned air/freeze method & it worked great.

I can see 1 insert has removed paint.

Would you find a new decal or try & hand paint it in?

Also.... I can see/feel where the mylar was & where it met with some type of clear coat etc.

Will this need to be stripped? Or would waxing make it all even?

Thanks

20201011_112921 (resized).jpg20201011_112942 (resized).jpg
#3885 12 days ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Also.... I can see/feel where the mylar was & where it met with some type of clear coat etc.

As I understand it, when you freeze spray off Mylar, it usually leaves the adhesive stuck to your playfield, so you’ll likely have to remove it before waxing and calling it a day. I’ve heard good things about the “flour and alcohol method” even though its messy.

You’ll probably want decals for the inserts. Painting them will never look right when lit from underneath. I know people complain about him, but I bought mine from Classic Arcades a while ago, and they look great. Just make sure you find the kind that are printed underneath the decals, otherwise the lettering will wear off if not clear coated.

#3886 12 days ago

Has anybody thought of a hardtop for WW? I have a players whirlwind and would love to have that option over replacing the whole playfield.

#3887 12 days ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

As I understand it, when you freeze spray off Mylar, it usually leaves the adhesive stuck to your playfield, so you’ll likely have to remove it before waxing and calling it a day. I’ve heard good things about the “flour and alcohol method” even though its messy.
You’ll probably want decals for the inserts. Painting them will never look right when lit from underneath. I know people complain about him, but I bought mine from Classic Arcades a while ago, and they look great. Just make sure you find the kind that are printed underneath the decals, otherwise the lettering will wear off if not clear coated.

Thanks

#3888 12 days ago

I am wanting to remove the metal from the pf for cleaning... I didn't see nuts holding from under cabinet.

Do you tap these from under with a nail etc?

20201011_163452 (resized).jpg
#3889 12 days ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

I am wanting to remove the metal from the pf for cleaning... I didn't see nuts holding from under cabinet.
Do you tap these from under with a nail etc?
[quoted image]

Unless it’s broken or had been previously removed, there should definitely be a nut on it. You may have to tap from underneath to get it started

#3890 10 days ago

Anyone seen a WW with a well done powder coat on armour?

#3891 10 days ago
Quoted from northerndude:

Anyone seen a WW with a well done powder coat on armour?

I’ve seen one that had a metallic blue on it that I thought looked pretty good. Not good enough I’d pay for it but it definitely looked good.

#3892 4 days ago

Can someone verify if I hooked this up correct? Since reassembling my ramp diverter is not working . I'm thinking its hooked up correct but should be energized but I'm getting nothing.

20201019_190040 (resized).jpg20201019_190048 (resized).jpg

#3893 4 days ago

Here’s mine

C7AB1838-5FC7-48B4-ACB8-D235AB376C9B (resized).jpeg
#3894 4 days ago

Did my linkage look right?

#3895 4 days ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

Did my linkage look right?

Looks like your missing a return spring under the E ring so its closed all the time.

#3896 4 days ago

Can i bother you for a pic if the spring? Im looking for it in the bottom of the cab now.

#3897 4 days ago

Nevermind I found it and it was obvious.thank you for the help.

#3898 4 days ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

Can i bother you for a pic if the spring? Im looking for it in the bottom of the cab now.

Its in the picture I posted. Its in between the E ring and the coil.

#3899 4 days ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

Nevermind I found it and it was obvious.thank you for the help.

No problem

#3900 4 days ago

Woohoo just hit the 3 way combo on the first game after reassembling

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis , MO
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Trade
Machine - For Trade
New Hartford, CT
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Oak Forest, IL
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 3911 posts in this topic. You are on page 78 of 79.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside