Topic Stats

• 3,851 posts
  • 372 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by zene10
  • Topic is favorited by 173 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,090 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_8955 (resized).JPG
IMG_8956 (resized).JPG
IMG_8958 (resized).JPG
74F460BE-906A-4B54-A5AE-2B79B018FE50 (resized).jpeg
A686D9FA-FA8C-4E2B-BF4B-5EE59A2B8214 (resized).jpeg
231AD97B-E675-40DF-972A-610726A69F65 (resized).jpeg
AEE495F1-C096-4014-8851-2A5377BE8F68 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200915_191604503 (resized).jpg
003881E2-BFF0-4492-91A5-061C1D736872 (resized).jpeg
20200914_161255 (resized).jpg
20200914_161244 (resized).jpg
088B0E99-8491-42CF-832A-4672BECFCE36 (resized).jpeg
B8E7C21C-1C30-4061-A5FA-159B0AE52658 (resized).jpeg
s-l1600 (1) (resized).jpg
17A881A2-86C5-49AB-A162-7BDE0462FA4D (resized).jpeg
19616976-CB10-4DD8-9D62-61E8AE9C07D9 (resized).jpeg

There are 3851 posts in this topic. You are on page 69 of 78.
#3401 6 months ago
Quoted from sataneatscheese:

I just did this myself a few days ago. Lift the playfield. Look at the backside of the spinning disks. There should be some nuts you turn to raise/lower them. As a matter of fact there should literally be instructions taped to the area beside the disks on how to do this. Good luck!

This sounds legit

#3402 6 months ago
Quoted from Twilight1:

This sounds legit

From the pinside gallery. That sticker on the lower right of the gearbox is instructions on how to do this.

2a02ed5cad5a588d9c09dae8409445bfa75953d9 (resized).jpg
#3403 6 months ago

Lol, never noticed that. Thanks! All good!

#3404 6 months ago

picked up a whirlwind a month or so ago and just getting to it. No topper, motor, or fan was present. It does have the fan board. I can order everything from Marco, but there is no wiring harness on the motor. Can some send me a picture or diagram of what the wiring harness and connector look like?

#3405 6 months ago
Quoted from woody76:

Can some send me a picture or diagram of what the wiring harness and connector look like?

Check post # 308 in this thread. I went through the same thing 5 years ago starting at post # 300

#3406 6 months ago
Quoted from dozer1:

Check post # 308 in this thread. I went through the same thing 5 years ago starting at post # 300

thank you sir

#3407 5 months ago

Hello WW club! I'm a new-ish owner of this magnificent machine and have what might be a rather naive question, but need to ask anyway. So the previous owner put in pinballpro speakers, and from visual inspection, does not appear to have been wired up correctly - based on my own installation of this brand of speakers on other system 11 machines.

Anyway, if I'm playing a longer game, scoring 10M+ points, I've notice that the volume of music and sfx is low at the start of the game and progressively gets louder as the game goes on. My question is - is this by design from software, or am I possibly dealing with a speaker wiring issue that I need to correct?

I own several other system 11s (big guns, cyclone, BK2K) and have never seen a game's volume get progressively louder during a game, thus the question to the WW experts out there.

Thanks in advance!

#3408 5 months ago
Quoted from Initiative:

Hello WW club! I'm a new-ish owner of this magnificent machine and have what might be a rather naive question, but need to ask anyway. So the previous owner put in pinballpro speakers, and from visual inspection, does not appear to have been wired up correctly - based on my own installation of this brand of speakers on other system 11 machines.
Anyway, if I'm playing a longer game, scoring 10M+ points, I've notice that the volume of music and sfx is low at the start of the game and progressively gets louder as the game goes on. My question is - is this by design from software, or am I possibly dealing with a speaker wiring issue that I need to correct?
I own several other system 11s (big guns, cyclone, BK2K) and have never seen a game's volume get progressively louder during a game, thus the question to the WW experts out there.
Thanks in advance!

It's not by design. If it's inconsistent, the volume pot can get flaky (located left side inside cabinet).

#3409 5 months ago

I believe I have a new set of plastics that I could sell. I'm located in Fort Wayne, IN. Hit me up if you're interested on PM

#3410 5 months ago

Archived after 2 days
Sold (amount undisclosed)
Contributed to Pinside
Mod - For Sale
New “- Whirlwind under cabinet interactive LED kit (brand new) - This is a custom kit made by Rock Customs Pinball - Directly plugs into pinball board in backbox (No alligator clips!!)...”
2020-03-26
Howell, MI
74 (Firm)

#3412 5 months ago

Hi there- anyone have the instructions to the rockcustompinball light mod that they could take a picture and send to me? Noticed the instructions aren't on rockcustompinball's website and I'm struggling to see where to connect the connectors to. Thank you in advance!

#3413 5 months ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Mod - For Sale

Sold

Whirlwind under cabinet interactive LED kit (brand new)

New “- Whirlwind under cabinet interactive LED kit (brand new)
- This is a custom kit made by Rock Customs Pinball
- Directly plugs into pinball board in backbox (No alligator clips!!)...”

74 (Firm)

Mark sale pending
Edit ad details
End ad listing

#3414 5 months ago
Quoted from truemagoo102:

Hi there- anyone have the instructions to the rockcustompinball light mod that they could take a picture and send to me? Noticed the instructions aren't on rockcustompinball's website and I'm struggling to see where to connect the connectors to. Thank you in advance!

Which lighting mod? He offers a few different ones.

#3416 5 months ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Which lighting mod? He offers a few different ones.

Good point. The lighted topped mod.

#3417 5 months ago
Quoted from truemagoo102:

All set guys- thank you!

#3418 5 months ago

Archived after 16 days
Not sold
Mod - For Sale
Used, fair condition “For sale is an original Whirlwind topper. As you can see in the pictures, it has one repaired crack on the front and one crack that’s not repaired on the front (tough to notice ...”
2020-03-29
Howell, MI

#3419 5 months ago

Yeah, so I hammered off TWO - 3 Way Combos this evening. Big deal, I once went probably 8 months without one for sure, so pretty pumped

#3420 5 months ago
Quoted from northerndude:

Yeah, so I hammered off TWO - 3 Way Combos this evening. Big deal, I once went probably 8 months without one for sure, so pretty pumped

So very satisfying!!

#3421 5 months ago

I usually end up losing the ball after a 3 way combo. The sound always catches me off guard and it so rarely happens.

#3422 5 months ago

Showoff!

Man, I can't remember the last time I got the 3WC. Multiple years. But I've got multiple super-cellars in one game, a couple tollway payoffs, and other "big achievements" in that time so it's not like I'm terrible per se? Probably just too old with no more hyper-reaction time...

#3423 5 months ago

Looking for a set of sling plastics, as well as non-smooth, or original disc decals (as mentioned earlier in the thread, I purchased reproductions and they have little to no texture like the originals). While the decals might be a long shot, let me know if you have a sheet in your parts stash!

#3424 5 months ago

Looking for this plastic for a friend, any leads on where to search would be greatly appreciated. (Found one, thanks)
2AFAD1B3-5AA8-4D50-981F-813409038E50 (resized).png.

#3425 5 months ago

Maybe it's just the jarring difference of the LEDs after the swap, but is the game supposed to flash and dim that much when hitting skyway tolls? It's to the point now where I almost lose my concentration for a second there's so much "bright to darkness" for these couple seconds. Same thing with earning extra ball. Maybe just something I never noticed before, wondering if anyone else feels that way especially after an LED switch.

I love my whirlwind, I just wish it hadn't gotten so beat up on the route before I rescued it and brought it home 15ish years ago.

#3426 5 months ago
Quoted from bbddpp:

Maybe it's just the jarring difference of the LEDs after the swap, but is the game supposed to flash and dim that much when hitting skyway tolls? It's to the point now where I almost lose my concentration for a second there's so much "bright to darkness" for these couple seconds. Same thing with earning extra ball. Maybe just something I never noticed before, wondering if anyone else feels that way especially after an LED switch.

I ended up disabling the GI relay for the lower playfield. The way the lights flickered when you shot the ramp was just too much.

You could also buy a GI OCD I guess?

#3427 5 months ago

I must be terrible at WW, because I didn’t even remember what the 3-way convo is. Any insight out there? Thanks all!

#3428 5 months ago

Right flipper shot through left orbit arriving at upper right flipper, shooting on the fly the inner orbit, then again with upper right flipper to left ramp.

Greatly satisfying, awesome audio, poor reward, only 250k

#3429 5 months ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

I must be terrible at WW, because I didn’t even remember what the 3-way convo is. Any insight out there? Thanks all!

1.Left orbit to upper flipper
2.upper flipper to upper orbit around pops
3.upper flipper to left ramp

#3430 5 months ago
Quoted from kdunbar:

Looking for this plastic for a friend, any leads on where to search would be greatly appreciated. (Found, thanks)
[quoted image].

i might have one, ill dig them out

#3431 5 months ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

I’ve owned the game for 7 years and have never done it.
My wife has played it once in the last 2 years. Nailed it on ball 1.
I give up.

#3432 5 months ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I ended up disabling the GI relay for the lower playfield. The way the lights flickered when you shot the ramp was just too much.
You could also buy a GI OCD I guess?

Thanks didn’t even the G.I. OCD was a thing. Is the relay software set? That may be something I’ll look into tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration.

#3433 5 months ago
Quoted from bbddpp:

Thanks didn’t even the G.I. OCD was a thing. Is the relay software set? That may be something I’ll look into tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration.

I think the system 11 GI ocd works by just using some big capacitors to help smooth things out. Never actually had one though but I've heard good things.

#3434 5 months ago

alright, I got me a full topper assembly. The fan motor did not come with wiring harness. Looks like to 2 wires go from motor to board. Does it matter which wire goes to which lug on the motor?

I attached a picture I found on the forum.

30087ce9277409115ce9cf696e6fdca47c06e058 (resized).jpg
#3435 5 months ago
Quoted from woody76:

alright, I got me a full topper assembly. The fan motor did not come with wiring harness. Looks like to 2 wires go from motor to board. Does it matter which wire goes to which lug on the motor?
I attached a picture I found on the forum.[quoted image]

Polarity should not matter.

8EC6C8F5-48B6-4423-BFE7-163E34F0ADB7 (resized).jpeg
#3436 5 months ago
Quoted from BenB:

Polarity should not matter.[quoted image]

I could be wrong.. but perhaps the polarity will direct the fan motor forwards or backwards

#3437 5 months ago

It’s a shaded pole motor and is driven by AC power. The only way to reverse a shaded pole type motor is to disassemble and rotate/flip the stator 180 degrees then reassemble.

#3439 5 months ago

Got it, please ignore, great help and shout out to Dumbass for the assistance. Wondering if someone would share pics of there power supply and some of the wiring, I’m trying to convert 220v to 110v
300D94A7-4BDF-4E01-9DBE-8DEB7EA5DC04 (resized).jpegE7C916F8-3D26-49BA-9F6B-C70AFB53CB65 (resized).jpeg968077E1-17E7-4B65-A902-9143DBAA8684 (resized).jpegB54268EC-979A-46D9-9A97-B482F390A0D6 (resized).jpeg

#3440 5 months ago

The conversion takes place in the plug you have in the hand on picture 3.
You need a tool to unlock the pins and change in accordance to the manual. There should be a correct "how to plu" for each country.

The fuse holder is very funny .. you can buy a new one in mostly all parts shops.
Looks dangerous .... yes, we germans love the risk Fix it !

http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=FUSEHLDR4

#3441 5 months ago
Quoted from TomDK:

You need a tool to unlock the pins and change in accordance to the manual. There should be a correct "how to plu" for each country.

It's in the WPC Schematics document (16-9473-1), page 1. Pinouts for the 9-pin connector for all world voltages.

#3442 5 months ago

Right flipper shot through left orbit arriving at upper right flipper, shooting on the fly the inner orbit, then again with upper right flipper to left ramp.
Greatly satisfying, awesome audio, poor reward, only 250k

Thank you! 250k!!?? That’s a joke!! Lol.

#3443 5 months ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Thank you! 250k!!?? That’s a joke!! Lol.

Agreed.

Making that combo should be automatic jackpot!!

#3444 5 months ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Agreed.
Making that combo should be automatic jackpot!!

The siren sound makes it all worth it, makes me smile every time.

#3445 5 months ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

The siren sound makes it all worth it, makes me smile every time.

I hit it the first time by accident. Scared the shit out of me. I thought something blew on the sound board.

#3446 5 months ago

1. Place this square thingie back in the metal box
2. That's some serious out of the box fusing. Place a fuse holder! (While you're at it, add an NTC as well to prevent your home fusebox from switching off once in a while.

ww1 (resized).JPG
#3447 5 months ago

Archived after 16 days
Not sold
Mod - For Sale
Used, fair condition “For sale is an original Whirlwind topper. As you can see in the pictures, it has one repaired crack on the front and one crack that’s not repaired on the front (tough to notice ...”
2020-03-29
Howell, MI

#3448 5 months ago

I just got my hands on my grail machine.... whirlwind! But it is in need of some serious help, so looking here for some ideas and suggestion.
1- lifting inserts, like more than a quarters width, what’s the trick to correct?
2-how wide is the fan blade from end to end?
3- any mods that are a big plus on this game ?
4- are the spinning discs supposed to be smooth or grip tape style?

#3449 5 months ago
Quoted from oropuro:

This is totally subjective, but I'm not a fan of modding. IIRC, System 11s don't have too much going for them anyway. There's mirror blades, or art blades, and LEDs of course, but that's about it.

Quoted from oropuro:

4- are the spinning discs supposed to be smooth or grip tape style?

Grip style. There are two styles floating around the internet these days. The "flat style" tend to have light blue artwork. They'll work in a pinch, but don't look very good, and don't work too well when spinning.

If you can find disk stickers that have dark blue accents, I've found they also have a much grippier surface. Seek those out if at all possible.

#3450 5 months ago
Quoted from oropuro:

would have to generally agree with mbaumle on this piece. i haven't seen much in the way of toy mods for this game available. I bought my grail about a month ago, previous owner put on art blades (pictures below for you to have a look at). cant say i really endorse side art on system 11 games, but they're growing on me on this particular machine.

pinstadium lights probably would look like trash on this game given it's bright color scheme.

WW10 (resized).jpgWW11 (resized).jpgWW12 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Plymouth, MN
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kittery, ME
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 839.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
There are 3851 posts in this topic. You are on page 69 of 78.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside