20240316_080341 (resized).jpg
20240316_080523 (resized).jpg
17105437271052469310734165764779 (resized).jpg
1710543689276521496101859511582 (resized).jpg
20240313_071808.jpg
lightMatrix (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

There are 5,393 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 108.
#3351 4 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Keep us posted about that, be interesting to see how much improvement there is.

I Did the exact thing to my fish tales and the upgrade was wayyyyyy better. Cheap and worth it.

I followed this thread

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-add-a-cheap-sub-under-40-that-sounds-awesome-to-your-wpc-game/page/2#post-5093657

1 week later
#3352 4 years ago

Decided to give my Whirlwind a hometown touch

5441FC8B-EE9C-46F2-8A99-6213958D9956 (resized).jpeg5441FC8B-EE9C-46F2-8A99-6213958D9956 (resized).jpegF144F44B-5C5B-4D5B-ADFB-02A308715EBB (resized).jpegF144F44B-5C5B-4D5B-ADFB-02A308715EBB (resized).jpeg
#3353 4 years ago

I don’t own this game but I am actively looking for one to come up near me. What did you do? I can’t tell, it’s probably looking me right in the face though.

#3354 4 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

I don’t own this game but I am actively looking for one to come up near me. What did you do? I can’t tell, it’s probably looking me right in the face though.

Check the ball cap

#3355 4 years ago

Wow. Would probably never notice that if I owned that one that’s funny

#3356 4 years ago

Does anyone know how to make the spinning disks less noisy? (Apart from letting them spin slow or turning them off lol)

#3357 4 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Does anyone know how to make the spinning disks less noisy? (Apart from letting them spin slow or turning them off lol)

The poorly designed gears are just loud because they don't mesh well. Short of designing new gears, there's nothing that can be done.

#3358 4 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Crank the volume up

#3359 4 years ago

Speaking of loud gears... Does anyone else's spinners make a loud squeak at high speed? About 1/3 of the time when my spinners Rev up to full speed I'll get a weird screech, and I can't figure out what could be causing it.

#3360 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Speaking of loud gears... Does anyone else's spinners make a loud squeak at high speed? About 1/3 of the time when my spinners Rev up to full speed I'll get a weird screech, and I can't figure out what could be causing it.

That might be the motor shaft vibrating.. Mine did that on the fan as well until i lubed it up.

#3361 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

That might be the motor shaft vibrating.. Mine did that on the fan as well until i lubed it up.

My fan motor wouldn't even spin until I took it apart and lubed it But the spinner motor doesn't seem to be the type you can take apart; do you think I should just drip some oil onto the shaft where it protrudes, or?

#3362 4 years ago

try some 3 in 1 dry lube. That usually permeates quite well.

#3363 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

The poorly designed gears are just loud because they don't mesh well. Short of designing new gears, there's nothing that can be done.

Hahaha that's what I suspected, designing new gears would be a pita So I guess I will take it apart and try to clean/lube it. Have to adjust the height/position of the disks too and also add new (sandpaper) decals.

Quoted from northerndude:

Crank the volume up

We live in a bungalow without direct neighbours so why not

#3364 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

try some 3 in 1 dry lube. That usually permeates quite well.

That is some good stuff.

#3365 4 years ago

The disc are loud because if i remember right the teeth are part of the "disc" an that is a large hollow plastic piece and acts like a resonator. You could take it apart and try to add some rubber or something under and inside the disc to deaden the sound of the plastic resonating.

#3366 4 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

white lithium grease, or "plastic" grease
https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-92003-Lubricating-Translucent/dp/B0081JE0OO/ref=sr_1_3
doesnt silence them, but quiets them. apply to gears and wipe off excess, after running them a few seconds

1 week later
#3367 4 years ago

already packaged and ready to ship $20 U.S. shipping included
052a7d02fe4564d0f28c0489e7b97d18ab8bf9d9 (resized).jpg052a7d02fe4564d0f28c0489e7b97d18ab8bf9d9 (resized).jpg

Also have the metal circuit board mounting plate $25 delivered to PATZ

Added over 4 years ago:

all plastics sold..........still have plate

#3368 4 years ago

On my Whirlwind I am missing these (and original parts/remade parts are nowhere to be found near me or very expensive) :
-Triac board
-Blower motor
-Fan blade
-Mounting plate for blower motor

I don't want to pay full dollar to fix it and I don't care if parts are original or not.
Does anyone have advice for me on buying something like a relais board, a motor and a fan blade?
I can design a mounting plate myself and 3d print it here.

#3369 4 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

On my Whirlwind I am missing these (and original parts/remade parts are nowhere to be found near me or very expensive) :
-Triac board
-Blower motor
-Fan blade
-Mounting plate for blower motor
I don't want to pay full dollar to fix it and I don't care if parts are original or not.
Does anyone have advice for me on buying something like a relais board, a motor and a fan blade?
I can design a mounting plate myself and 3d print it here.

I’m missing the same. Marco’s have them, but yep as you mention it ain’t cheap!!

#3370 4 years ago

You guys might get lucky and be able to piece together a fan from used parts here and there. My guess is probably not though, and if Marco has it all, I would say go for it. Even the fan motor bracket. It is 21.00 for a new one. Can you really 3-D print a plastic one and beat that?

#3371 4 years ago
Quoted from dozer1:

You guys might get lucky and be able to piece together a fan from used parts here and there. My guess is probably not though, and if Marco has it all, I would say go for it. Even the fan motor bracket. It is 21.00 for a new one. Can you really 3-D print a plastic one and beat that?

The Problem is the price..
On top of the €135 shopping cart, will be €72 of shipping, and 21% of taxes (hooray for living in the Netherlands)... Total amount is about $270 for these 3 items And I would still have to find a triac board then, or something else that works..
Screenshot_2020-02-23-13-55-37 (resized).pngScreenshot_2020-02-23-13-55-37 (resized).png

#3372 4 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

(hooray for living in the Netherlands)

Right. I hear ya on the shipping and tax. That would make it tougher to pull the trigger. You probably know this, but I will post just in case. It looks like the triac board is available here. I would contact and verify first just to make sure. http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/index.html?http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/products/pinball/sy11tb1.html

#3373 4 years ago

RobDutch i use myus for shipping. Works great and cheaper than Marcos shipping.

#3374 4 years ago
Quoted from dozer1:

It looks like the triac board is available here. I would contact and verify first just to make sure. http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/index.html?http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/products/pinball/sy11tb1.html

Definitely try to contact Tony before sending any payments. From a few other threads on this site it looks like he's no longer selling products in his store. I could be proven wrong if you contact him and he replies.

The triac driver board is small and fairly simple to reproduce.

#3375 4 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

The Problem is the price..
On top of the €135 shopping cart, will be €72 of shipping, and 21% of taxes (hooray for living in the Netherlands)... Total amount is about $270 for these 3 items And I would still have to find a triac board then, or something else that works..
[quoted image]

I can help you on a homemade board for that triac board. Did that for a friend of mine and it works like a charm, the schematics aren't too difficult.

#3376 4 years ago

Count me in guys! My favorite game, hands down. Fits in nicely next to Pinbot

IMG_20200224_153226 (resized).jpgIMG_20200224_153226 (resized).jpg
#3377 4 years ago
Quoted from truemagoo102:

Count me in guys! My favorite game, hands down. Fits in nicely next to Pinbot [quoted image]

Congratulations! - looks to be in really nice shape. I have had mine for around four months now and it is more addictive than any of my other games ever were. Even my 12 y.o. daughter is playing it every day. Whirlwind blows!!

#3378 4 years ago
Quoted from not4tilts:

Congratulations! - looks to be in really nice shape. I have had mine for around four months now and it is more addictive than any of my other games ever were. Even my 12 y.o. daughter is playing it every day. Whirlwind blows!!

Thanks! I just went through it and installed GameBlades- they really make the game pop!

#3379 4 years ago

I’m doing a restoration on my WW and noticed that the flipper coils are FL-11629 whilst the manual says they should be FL-11630.

My understanding is the 11629’s are more powerful. But I’m worried about smashing plastics etc if they are too overpowered. Any advice on whether I should change them back?

#3380 4 years ago

I have seen it said a few times that a 11629 is a good coil for the upper flipper, while 11630's should be used on the 2 lower flippers. Seems to work well for me as well.

#3381 4 years ago

Hello..I’m needing some help with a cellar door coil that will not fire. 48volts present at coil, both switches register on test and diode is good. Any suggestions?

#3382 4 years ago
Quoted from Slash:

I’m doing a restoration on my WW and noticed that the flipper coils are FL-11629 whilst the manual says they should be FL-11630.
My understanding is the 11629’s are more powerful. But I’m worried about smashing plastics etc if they are too overpowered. Any advice on whether I should change them back?

Mine flies around gets plenty of airballs even with the 11630s. It's not like there are any large ramps on this game.

#3383 4 years ago

11630s on mine as well, moves the balls around without issue.

#3384 4 years ago

Liked the Colts hat but had to make one more tweak.

657CE288-645F-49D3-A0A6-62FF21321982 (resized).jpeg657CE288-645F-49D3-A0A6-62FF21321982 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#3385 4 years ago

So I saved this classic pin from a damp basement a while ago. It had been standing there for over 15 years. I knew it had the following problems, but decided to get it playing 100% first. Now the time has come to tackle this problem:

My playfield (that I'm about to clean for the first time), has planking. At the end of the ruler (30cm) the difference is about 2/3mm. The middle of the playfield around the compass is higher then the outlanes, so now it drains even more then it should In the vertical direction it suffers from the same in the lower playfield area.

Also I have got these vertical lines and swirls (?), anything I can do about those? I do have a playfield cleaner but I don't think it will remove the this problem.

The playfield does have mylar that is kinda dirty and has some raised inserts, thinking of leaving it on and trying to hammer the inserts down

If anyone has advice for me: I am all ear
Thanks in advance!

20200307_171955 (resized).jpg20200307_171955 (resized).jpg20200307_172002 (resized).jpg20200307_172002 (resized).jpg20200307_172050 (resized).jpg20200307_172050 (resized).jpg
#3386 4 years ago

Cleaning the playfield as gently as possible with the least strong cleaning stuff I could find, and the paint still chips of a bit.
So I have got my answers to the questions above: just enjoy this players machine

#3387 4 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

just enjoy this players machine

That sounds like a pretty good choice You could always keep your eye open for a good used PF or a good deal on a reproduction one. It would probably be hard to do much about lots of planking from a damp basement. To me though, your play field doesn't look too bad and should make a good player!

#3388 4 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Also I have got these vertical lines

System 11 playfields were belt sanded when manufactured, causing those parallel lines you see. It’s a trait found in pretty much every non-diamondplated playfield, so I wouldn’t be concerned about it. It’s probably been exacerbated from the dampness, but it doesn’t look much worse than what I have on my Taxi and Whirlwind

#3389 4 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

So I saved this classic pin from a damp basement a while ago. It had been standing there for over 15 years. I knew it had the following problems, but decided to get it playing 100% first. Now the time has come to tackle this problem:
My playfield (that I'm about to clean for the first time), has planking. At the end of the ruler (30cm) the difference is about 2/3mm. The middle of the playfield around the compass is higher then the outlanes, so now it drains even more then it should In the vertical direction it suffers from the same in the lower playfield area.
Also I have got these vertical lines and swirls (?), anything I can do about those? I do have a playfield cleaner but I don't think it will remove the this problem.
The playfield does have mylar that is kinda dirty and has some raised inserts, thinking of leaving it on and trying to hammer the inserts down
If anyone has advice for me: I am all ear
Thanks in advance![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Will look a LOT better when cleaned, but given the history, I would do a full topside tear down and cleaning. Don't "hammer" the inserts down. I believe Vid has a guide somewhere on leveling inserts. It takes some heat and some patience to do it right, but hammering will just break the insert. A blow dryer, a weight and a straight block of wood will do wonders. I have leveled a couple of inserts under mylar, but you really need to be careful not to cause bubbling. If the mylar isn't roached, I would leave it in place. Clean her good and then re-evaluate.

#3390 4 years ago

Thanks @dozer1, mbaumle and Manimal for the messages and advice
Will leave my hammer in the toolbox!

Also I have the problem that my spinning disks are not flush with the playfield and not centered in the holes. They really slow the ball down and move the ball in a different direction when not spinning. I can only adjust them in hight right? That will not fix my problem.. Anyone advice on how to do this without a hammer?

After this is fixed, I can finally place my new disk decals!

20200307_174015_HDR (resized).jpg20200307_174015_HDR (resized).jpg
#3391 4 years ago

Speaking of spinning disc decals. Where do people recommend buying them from. I bought some from Marco’s a while back and finally took them out at the weekend to put them on, but they feel really smooth with not much grip/texture at all????

#3392 4 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Thanks dozer1, mbaumle and Manimal for the messages and advice
Will leave my hammer in the toolbox!
Also I have the problem that my spinning disks are not flush with the playfield and not centered in the holes. They really slow the ball down and move the ball in a different direction when not spinning. I can only adjust them in hight right? That will not fix my problem.. Anyone advice on how to do this without a hammer?
After this is fixed, I can finally place my new disk decals![quoted image]

The disks are a pain to adjust. The height is the main adjustment, but if that's not solving your problem, then the location of the entire assembly needs to be moved. The only way that you can reliably do that is to fill the screw holes where it's attached to the playfield and then start new screws. The amount that you're going to be moving the assembly is so small, that the screws will try to go back into their original holes. On the one that I did, the layout of the disks in the mech is not 100% perfect with the playfield either. So there will be differing sized gaps even when done.

#3393 4 years ago
Quoted from Slash:

Speaking of spinning disc decals. Where do people recommend buying them from. I bought some from Marco’s a while back and finally took them out at the weekend to put them on, but they feel really smooth with not much grip/texture at all????

I haven't found a supplier whose disks aren't garbage. They're all too smooth. I'm working on a solution.

IMG_20191009_195729 (resized).jpgIMG_20191009_195729 (resized).jpg
#3394 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

I haven't found a supplier whose disks aren't garbage.

When I did my playfield swap, I grabbed a set from the Allentown show a few years ago. Something tells me I bought NOS ones, because seeing all the options now, there’s no comparison. All the vendors have cheap looking ones.

Keep us updated if you find one. I’d be in for a couple sets just to futureproof myself.

#3395 4 years ago

There was a post to one of the facebook groups last fall where a guy said he had a bunch if new old stock to sell, but the original thread got deleted, and I never could find that person again.

#3396 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

The disks are a pain to adjust. The height is the main adjustment, but if that's not solving your problem, then the location of the entire assembly needs to be moved. The only way that you can reliably do that is to fill the screw holes where it's attached to the playfield and then start new screws. The amount that you're going to be moving the assembly is so small, that the screws will try to go back into their original holes. On the one that I did, the layout of the disks in the mech is not 100% perfect with the playfield either. So there will be differing sized gaps even when done.

When repopulating a new Mirco playfield with the disks, I managed to center the disks perfectly.

If you're working with the original playfield, fill all existing screw holes with toothpicks and wood glue. After dry, cut the toothpicks flush to the playfield.

1. With the playfield upside down (the underside facing up), roughly center the disk assembly.
2. Working beneath the playfield, patiently fill the gaps between the disks and the playfield holes with toothpicks.
3. Keep filling in the gaps between the disks and the playfield until there is no more room to insert toothpicks.
4. Your disk housing will now be held in place by the toothpicks and stationary enough to mark the holes.
5. Leave the mech housing in place and pre-drill the playfield through the mech housing holes.
6. Secure the disk mech housing with screws
7. Remove the toothpicks and admire the perfectly centered disks
8. Adjust each disk so that it is barely above the playfield surface.
9. Grab a beer and celebrate.

1 week later
#3397 4 years ago

Can someone help me with how to lower the height of the spinning discs in Whirlwind? Thank you!!!

#3398 4 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Can someone help me with how to lower the height of the spinning discs in Whirlwind? Thank you!!!

Shims?

#3399 4 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

On the underside you have to turn the white knobs. My game is not here but what I can remember. you will have to take a nut off or a c-clamp or something before you can do so.

#3400 4 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

I just did this myself a few days ago. Lift the playfield. Look at the backside of the spinning disks. There should be some nuts you turn to raise/lower them. As a matter of fact there should literally be instructions taped to the area beside the disks on how to do this. Good luck!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
There are 5,393 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 108.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-club-members-only/page/68 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.