17120147714183511058491698968279 (resized).jpg
17120147133684342295711183751853 (resized).jpg
17120146816654026590663874873131 (resized).jpg
1711971576349821576825836127955.jpg
17119715507093168227299707841971.jpg
20240127_165338 (resized).jpg
20240127_165404 (resized).jpg
20240328_180122.jpg
There are 5,441 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 109.
#3301 4 years ago

Coil Strength... I have a toasted upper flipper coil. As I prepare to replace I have a question on the correct coil in that spot. The manual says both upper and lower right side flipper coils are FL-11630. What is there currently is FL-11753. This upper flipper is a bit weak, not sure if it is due to the slow death it has been suffering or underpowered coil. Suggestions? I don't want to overpower and smash a ramp. But underpowered has taken the entire upper ramp shot out of the game. FYI all other adjustments on the flipper assembly are correct. EOS, clean and tight switches, etc. This is definitely a coil issue.

Thanks, in advance.

#3302 4 years ago

I have 11630's on all three and I have no problem hitting any ramp with the playfield at 6.5°.

#3303 4 years ago
Quoted from tomm1963:

Coil Strength... I have a toasted upper flipper coil. As I prepare to replace I have a question on the correct coil in that spot. The manual says both upper and lower right side flipper coils are FL-11630. What is there currently is FL-11753. This upper flipper is a bit weak, not sure if it is due to the slow death it has been suffering or underpowered coil. Suggestions? I don't want to overpower and smash a ramp. But underpowered has taken the entire upper ramp shot out of the game. FYI all other adjustments on the flipper assembly are correct. EOS, clean and tight switches, etc. This is definitely a coil issue.
Thanks, in advance.

yup toss it, underpowered. 11630's is designed for the game.

1 week later
#3304 4 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

if your ball goes up the ramp when you plunge the ball......then your machine is adjusted wrong.....it should go to the right of the ramp and loop around to the upper right flipper.........there are many discussions and photos of how to adjust it in this thread

Could you maybe post a direct link?

Mine goes up the ramp every single time

#3305 4 years ago

see post #2511 or go to the top of this thread and search "ramp adjustment"

1 week later
#3306 4 years ago

953B26DC-962F-42A9-AE6B-0B7044B26F7F (resized).jpeg953B26DC-962F-42A9-AE6B-0B7044B26F7F (resized).jpeg

Have original used set from my whirlwind. 100$ for everything include shipping. Dm who interested

#3307 4 years ago

I am going to see if I can fix a Whirlwind display assembly for a friend. The display was working perfectly but recently the bottom display acts up. Whenever the b segment lights up the three segments k m n to the left light dimmly as well. Has anyone run into a similar issue? We did swap out the whole display board from another game which worked. That showed the MPU and cable should be ok and points to an issue on the display board.

Not sure if a piece of rouge solder got loose shorting out the segment lines, driver chip failing, or the display glass going bad.

I'll probably dig into it more over the next few evenings and was just checking on what the most likely problems to check first.

#3308 4 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

[quoted image]
Have original used set from my whirlwind. 100$ for everything include shipping. Dm who interested

just bought brand new for $140!

#3309 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

driver chip failing,

And there not available anymore.

#3310 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I am going to see if I can fix a Whirlwind display assembly for a friend. The display was working perfectly but recently the bottom display acts up. Whenever the b segment lights up the three segments k m n to the left light dimmly as well. Has anyone run into a similar issue? We did swap out the whole display board from another game which worked. That showed the MPU and cable should be ok and points to an issue on the display board.
Not sure if a piece of rouge solder got loose shorting out the segment lines, driver chip failing, or the display glass going bad.
I'll probably dig into it more over the next few evenings and was just checking on what the most likely problems to check first.

I had some display issues a while back... maybe this is mildly helpful:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-11-score-diplay-issue-

2 weeks later
#3311 4 years ago

Backboard LED lighting made a huge difference. Favorite all time pin. This may be my first long term pin.

20200104_202257 (resized).jpg20200104_202257 (resized).jpg
#3312 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

And there not available anymore.

yea they are.
Obsolete? yes.
Mouser or Digikey? no.
But they are out there. Used my last Cathode driver last night. Purchased some this morning.

#3314 4 years ago
Quoted from Jr99svt:

But they are out there.

The only thing I have found out there is counterfeits that explode when powered up causing more damage to the board. So I am using used board pulls until they are all gone.

#3315 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Backboard LED lighting made a huge difference. Favorite all time pin. This may be my first long term pin.[quoted image]

Where'd you get that apron? Looks sweet.

#3316 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

The only thing I have found out there is counterfeits that explode when powered up causing more damage to the board. So I am using used board pulls until they are all gone.

Its a crapshoot from China. More than likely their obsolete "new" items are cleaned up pulls, more often than not. Ive been lucky, havent had an issue with ICs from China, yet....

#3317 4 years ago

My game is not at home as of now. But need to order a new pc of glass for my back glass does anyone know the measurements of it. And is it 5 mm same as pf glass.

#3318 4 years ago
Quoted from Twilight1:

My game is not at home as of now. But need to order a new pc of glass for my back glass does anyone know the measurements of it. And is it 5 mm same as pf glass.

Hope this link helps!

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=General#Backglass_Sizes

#3319 4 years ago

Wow thanks that helps a lot. Didn’t even think to see if there was a date base for this info.

#3320 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Where'd you get that apron? Looks sweet.

https://www.tiltgraphicsinc.com/whirlwind

Magnetic and removable.

#3321 4 years ago

That's very cool. Might have to think about that one as my next birthday present or something.

2 weeks later
#3322 4 years ago

Finally nailed the 3 way combo tonight

#3323 4 years ago

Anyone have a whirlwind spinner for sale or know where to find one? I have what I think is a decent replacement enroute, but I'd prefer the original.

#3324 4 years ago

Greetings,

If you follow the TAF owner's thread by chance then you would have seen that I created a light board for the "THING" lamps that allow you to fit a ColorDMD LCD over top of them. I see that perhaps Whirlwind has the same board (D-12501 / 5768-12377-00 Rev A)? I do not own a Whirlwind but I am willing to create one of these boards for this machine if you guys want me to. I realize you don't have a ColorDMD to install and worry about, but perhaps your current board is missing or broken and you would like a replacement. Below you can find all the photos of the one I created for TAF. It fits flush with a black colored board to prevent any light from leaking through. I am producing two versions, one with Warm White 3000K leds and one with Cool White 5700K ones. The photos below show the Warm White version. I did tweak the shape from the ones shown to allow an easy plug and play installation even if you have a set of flipper fidelity or pinball pro speakers without having to remove them. There is some slight ghosting but it ins't very bad IMO. If you have one of the OCD LED boards installed it should eliminate any ghosting although I do not have one to test that theory.

I am estimating them to be in stock by the end of February, and should only be around $10-$20 ea plus shipping as I am not looking to make anything off them, just wanting to help others out.

Anyways, if you want one please PM me with the following:

-Subject: Earthshaker Light Board
-Full Mailing Address
-# of boards wanted
-Paypal Email Address

Once the boards are in production I will send you a paypal invoice for payment along with the total amount shipped. Any extras from the batch order will also go on my pinside shop if you prefer to wait until then. I do plan to keep these in stock as long as there is a demand for them so no worries on "Missing Out" from any kind of one time order.

Best Regards,

Robert Goebel
Pinshakers
www.pinshakers.com

Photo Jan 19, 6 49 11 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Jan 19, 6 49 11 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Jan 19, 6 49 21 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Jan 19, 6 49 21 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Jan 19, 6 50 04 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Jan 19, 6 50 04 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Jan 19, 7 05 09 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Jan 19, 7 05 09 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Jan 19, 7 11 16 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Jan 19, 7 11 16 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Jan 19, 7 11 27 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Jan 19, 7 11 27 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Jan 19, 7 26 12 PM (resized).jpgPhoto Jan 19, 7 26 12 PM (resized).jpg
#3325 4 years ago
Quoted from robgo777:

Greetings,
If you follow the TAF owner's thread by chance then you would have seen that I created a light board for the "THING" lamps that allow you to fit a ColorDMD LCD over top of them. I see that perhaps Whirlwind has the same board (D-12501 / 5768-12377-00 Rev A)? I do not own a Whirlwind but I am willing to create one of these boards for this machine if you guys want me to. I realize you don't have a ColorDMD to install and worry about, but perhaps your current board is missing or broken and you would like a replacement. Below you can find all the photos of the one I created for TAF. It fits flush with a black colored board to prevent any light from leaking through. I am producing two versions, one with Warm White 3000K leds and one with Cool White 5700K ones. The photos below show the Warm White version. I did tweak the shape from the ones shown to allow an easy plug and play installation even if you have a set of flipper fidelity or pinball pro speakers without having to remove them. There is some slight ghosting but it ins't very bad IMO. If you have one of the OCD LED boards installed it should eliminate any ghosting although I do not have one to test that theory.
I am estimating them to be in stock by the end of February, and should only be around $10-$20 ea plus shipping as I am not looking to make anything off them, just wanting to help others out.
Anyways, if you want one please PM me with the following:
-Subject: Earthshaker Light Board
-Full Mailing Address
-# of boards wanted
-Paypal Email Address
Once the boards are in production I will send you a paypal invoice for payment along with the total amount shipped. Any extras from the batch order will also go on my pinside shop if you prefer to wait until then. I do plan to keep these in stock as long as there is a demand for them so no worries on "Missing Out" from any kind of one time order.
Best Regards,
Robert Goebel
Pinshakers
www.pinshakers.com[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Interest may increase with the Whirlwind software rewrite project moving again...

#3326 4 years ago

Oh yes. Prepare to be very excited.

3F5E9BCE-7A46-4B54-9A84-F5641CA19827 (resized).jpeg3F5E9BCE-7A46-4B54-9A84-F5641CA19827 (resized).jpeg
#3327 4 years ago
Quoted from Sciddleybop1980:

Oh yes. Prepare to be very excited.[quoted image]

What?what!what?!?!?!

#3328 4 years ago

YEAH, WTF !?!?

That looks sweet

#3329 4 years ago

Mypinballs started a rule rewrite using PRoc years ago. It was always written around using the existing alpha numeric display. It took a sabbatical for a while but looks like it’s back and with dots!!! Haven’t been this excited since Christmas 87

#3330 4 years ago

Omg. How much is this gonna cost me?!

#3331 4 years ago

Most excellent news!

#3332 4 years ago

I see prices on Whirlwind trending up... how much were the BOP 2.0 kits when they were made?

#3333 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I see prices on Whirlwind trending up... how much were the BOP 2.0 kits when they were made?

#3334 4 years ago

Well..... If that's the case, I guess it won't cost me a thing

#3335 4 years ago

Can anyone offer more info?? After I finish off my Quicksilver resto, my Whirlwind will be next, anything to make it an even better game excites me greatly!!

#3337 4 years ago

Does anyone have a list of the speech phrases from Whirlwind?

#3338 4 years ago

Yes it's;
'Oh maaannn...'
And then ist say's ;
'Oh maaannn...'

And then it's;
'Oh maaannn...'

#3339 4 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Yes it's;
'Oh maaannn...'
And then ist say's ;
'Oh maaannn...'

And then it's;
'Oh maaannn...'

Thanks.

Anyone else? Considering buying, but wanted to know what I'm actually hearing in videos.

#3340 4 years ago

From memory it’s

“Uh oh, looks like rain!”
“Oooo Million!”
“Feel the power of the wind!”
“Here it comes!” (At the start of multiball)
“No storm now, go away!” (When entering the cellar unlit)
“Now, get out!” (Also when entering the cellar unlit)
“Whirlwind!” (At the start of cellar multiball)
“Feel the power!” (When collecting millions plus)

The last one puzzles me. It’s only heard when collecting the mega door bonus and it sounds like “Hey hey, crikey!” Like an exuberant Australian.

There may be more I’m missing, but those are the call outs you’ll hear most often.

#3341 4 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

From memory it’s
“Uh oh, looks like rain!”
“Oooo Million!”
“Feel the power of the wind!”
“Here it comes!” (At the start of multiball)
“No storm now, go away!” (When entering the cellar unlit)
“Now, get out!” (Also when entering the cellar unlit)
“Whirlwind!” (At the start of cellar multiball)
“Feel the power!” (When collecting millions plus)
The last one puzzles me. It’s only heard when collecting the mega door bonus and it sounds like “Hey hey, crikey!” Like an exuberant Australian.
There may be more I’m missing, but those are the call outs you’ll hear most often.

I think you're right about the "crikey" bit. The hillbilly accent's a bit thick on that one. But you forgot, at the end of the Mega-Door bonus "thunderstorm" he also says "Ya'll come back now!" Also "Head for the cellar!" as a hurry-up.

Worth noting the "Whirl-Wind!" and "Feel the Power" are in a sinister baritone which is pretty awesome. Like a Black Knight cameo

Edit to add (duh, headslap!)
Storm chaser over P. A. : "The storm is coming, return to your homes!" ; "all clear!" ; "do not panic!"

#3342 4 years ago

is there a female voice that says something over and over?

#3343 4 years ago

Do not panic

#3344 4 years ago

Welelelll lookie here!

#3345 4 years ago

I forgot a ton! Didn’t realize there were so many more.

The deep baritone “whirlwind” and “feel the power” are some of the most adrenaline inducing call outs. Nailing that millions plus jackpot and hearing feel the power with the lighting bolt effect is one of the most satisfying jackpot collects.

Quoted from canoncitypb:

is there a female voice that says something over and over?

Only when the million shot is lit via a cellar door bonus or during quick mulitball. She just says “oooo Million!” Every so often until it’s collected, multiball ends, or the ball drains.

#3346 4 years ago

'I'm getting changed'

#3347 4 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I always thought it was something along the lines of "cracky/crackie". Short for crackshot?!?!?

#3348 4 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

She just says “oooo Million!”

That is what I was hearing. Sounded pretty annoying.

#3349 4 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

I think you're right about the "crikey" bit. The hillbilly accent's a bit thick on that one. But you forgot, at the end of the Mega-Door bonus "thunderstorm" he also says "Ya'll come back now!" Also "Head for the cellar!" as a hurry-up.
Worth noting the "Whirl-Wind!" and "Feel the Power" are in a sinister baritone which is pretty awesome. Like a Black Knight cameo
Edit to add (duh, headslap!)
Storm chaser over P. A. : "The storm is coming, return to your homes!" ; "all clear!" ; "do not panic!"

That’s why I have a speaker upgrade heading into mine to get that great depth for the “Feel the power!!!” & “WhirlWind” call outs. Going to sound unreal!!

#3350 4 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

That’s why I have a speaker upgrade heading into mine to get that great depth for the “Feel the power!!!” & “WhirlWind” call outs. Going to sound unreal!!

Keep us posted about that, be interesting to see how much improvement there is.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 5,441 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 109.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-club-members-only/page/67?hl=canoncitypb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.