17120147714183511058491698968279 (resized).jpg
17120147133684342295711183751853 (resized).jpg
17120146816654026590663874873131 (resized).jpg
1711971576349821576825836127955.jpg
17119715507093168227299707841971.jpg
20240127_165338 (resized).jpg
20240127_165404 (resized).jpg
20240328_180122.jpg
There are 5,441 posts in this topic. You are on page 66 of 109.
#3251 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Uh huh. Very helpful, thank you for your input.

Except in this case you can't. Which is why I'm modding the rom.

Yeah, settings easy/med/hard - and lane gaps and etc. are enough for most to make it hard enough.

#3252 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Sorry about the joke.

Go through the book and turn everything to hard, set the discs to spin fast.. etc...

#3253 4 years ago

Confirmed just now that playing a multiball doesn't stop it from spotting arrows either, so this whole difficulty thing isn't even a factor

#3254 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Confirmed just now that playing a multiball doesn't stop it from spotting arrows either, so this whole difficulty thing isn't even a factor

Hitting the left ramp will spot you an arrow too.

#3255 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Cool, any chance you can add a ball save? My WW is bloody brutal, and mates often don't enjoy the super fast game time. I'm yet to tinker with outlanes, but may have to consider it. A 5-10sec would be a great feature.

#3256 4 years ago

applejuice has been working on a rule rewrite using PRoc for years on and off. May be worth reaching out to him and seeing if you can get your heads together. I’d love to see his new code hit the shelves!!

#3257 4 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Cool, any chance you can add a ball save? My WW is bloody brutal, and mates often don't enjoy the super fast game time. I'm yet to tinker with outlanes, but may have to consider it. A 5-10sec would be a great feature.

I feel like there already is one. Draining on your ball after plunge without hitting a switch will give ball back.

Plus, how many free balls does this pin give !

#3258 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I feel like there already is one. Draining on your ball after plunge without hitting a switch will give ball back.

Correct. It's just not timed.

#3259 4 years ago

Ill add a vote for adjustable 3 way score. 3 mill seems to be a good start. And also a timed ball save. I cant think of much else to add.

On my machine you can shoot either cellar door to restart multiball. Is this normal? Is there a setting so that only the right one will restart it?

#3260 4 years ago
Quoted from Pugsley:

On my machine you can shoot either cellar door to restart multiball. Is this normal? Is there a setting so that only the right one will restart it?

Mine does the same, but I would have thought only the left one should?

#3261 4 years ago

Kinda back in the club. Picked this up. Been debating hanging it on the wall for a someday build or letting it go. Actually have a brand new bare bk2k cab that would work and picked up a really rough bally atlantis that I was going to steal what I could off for the lower cab, but that turned out to be nice enough to save.

IMG_20191105_081143 (resized).jpgIMG_20191105_081143 (resized).jpgIMG_20191105_081223 (resized).jpgIMG_20191105_081223 (resized).jpg
#3262 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Kinda back in the club. Picked this up. Been debating hanging it on the wall for a someday build or letting it go. Actually have a brand new bare bk2k cab that would work and picked up a really rough bally atlantis that I was going to steal what I could off for the lower cab, but that turned out to be nice enough to save.[quoted image][quoted image]

I think there should be a vote as to whether you're allowed back in.

#3263 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Mine does the same, but I would have thought only the left one should?

Either cellar restarts the multiball.

adj36 controls the amount of time that you have to get in the cellar for the restart.

#3264 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

Either cellar restarts the multiball.
adj36 controls the amount of time that you have to get in the cellar for the restart.

Thinking that after the first multi-ball, you have to start them via the ramp only.

#3265 4 years ago
Quoted from John_In_WI:

Thinking that after the first multi-ball, you have to start them via the ramp only.

No, this is for the restart of the multiball if you didn't get the jackpot on the storm multiball. The red light over the cellar starts flashing and you have the chance to get the jackpot again, now with 2 balls instead of 3.

#3266 4 years ago
Quoted from John_In_WI:

Multiball difficulty adjustment changes this. Can also make it always via eject hole or always only via side ramp

#3267 4 years ago

Check out the reflection of the right wire ramp on the playfield. mylar or clearcoat?

A74F4EEA-670B-41D2-B7E7-442459634F9F (resized).jpegA74F4EEA-670B-41D2-B7E7-442459634F9F (resized).jpeg
#3268 4 years ago

playfield protector?

#3269 4 years ago

shiny mylar

#3270 4 years ago

Mylar

Mylar (resized).jpgMylar (resized).jpg
#3271 4 years ago

Correct! Mylar. Original factory Mylar. Kept clean with Novus 1 and waxed regularly with Meguilar’s carnuba wax.

#3272 4 years ago

I have the original translite and was wondering if I should leave the sticker on the hat or remove it . Silly question maybe

E4800078-B090-4D9B-AD22-D53C9465F58F (resized).jpegE4800078-B090-4D9B-AD22-D53C9465F58F (resized).jpeg
#3273 4 years ago

Remove it. If mine had a sticker, it'd be gone.

#3274 4 years ago

See I'd leave it on!!

Cool it still has it.

#3275 4 years ago

Seems like a cooler story with it on, all else considered

#3276 4 years ago
Quoted from Pbgixxer:

I have the original translite and was wondering if I should leave the sticker on the hat or remove it . Silly question maybe[quoted image]

#3277 4 years ago

I'm just jealous that i don't have a sticker.

#3278 4 years ago

Think I’ll leave it for now . I know what’s under it .

#3279 4 years ago

I’ve missed whirlwind since I sold 6 years ago . Glad I found another . Back in the club

7F39F8BB-08EB-482F-A109-B376814595E7 (resized).png7F39F8BB-08EB-482F-A109-B376814595E7 (resized).png
#3280 4 years ago

Nice looking unit also!

#3281 4 years ago
Quoted from orangegsx:I guess I don’t understand why it’s a problem?
Quoted from zacaj:

Because it's making me never need to shoot some of the arrows, which is the main reason I like the game.

This doesn’t make sense to me.

You don’t get to the SW (green) arrows either until after the first multiball. Immediately after that, even before the next ball lock, you get your next crack at the NW targets, including the one that was spotted at the beginning of ball 1.

That just means the NW target becomes the last of the eight targets to be shot, instead of the first. So I don’t really understand your complaint.

Quoted from zacaj:

If it was random I wouldn't mind as much.

I probably agree, but doubling up on the NW targets to the exclusion of the SE for the first multiball makes those green arrows all the more satisfying when they finally make their appearance. (Fitting, too, for those slightly more challenging shots.)

#3282 4 years ago
Quoted from smsteve:

This doesn’t make sense to me.
You don’t get to the SW (green) arrows either until after the first multiball. Immediately after that, even before the next ball lock, you get your next crack at the NW targets, including the one that was spotted at the beginning of ball 1.
That just means the NW target becomes the last of the eight targets to be shot, instead of the first. So I don’t really understand your complaint.

I probably agree, but doubling up on the NW targets to the exclusion of the SE for the first multiball makes those green arrows all the more satisfying when they finally make their appearance. (Fitting, too, for those slightly more challenging shots.)

Not sure what the green ones specifcally have to do with it?
On normal compass difficulty, for instance, the two red and two yellow lights are lit initially. As soon as you plunge the left inlane red arrow is spotted, every single game. You never need to shoot it for your first lock. I forget what the pattern is for the second lock, but it's the same issue. One of those four arrows is never used, since you always get a plunge off the lock, and it always spots the same arrow. You have to shoot a maximum of 6 arrows to get to multiball, since 2/8 are always spotted of the initial plunge and first lock plunge. If you drain at all during that period, you have to shoot even less of them.

#3283 4 years ago

I picked up a Whirlwind about a month ago from a guy that said he had it for 20 years. He said his family had grown up with it and loved it all those years. He said it originally came from an old guy that routed pins. The pin was extremely dirty, dried out (cracked) rubbers and probably the original balls (luckily no battery damage). He admitted that he didn't know the first thing about working on pins and was super happy that "it has always worked". Although, the display was out and I couldn't see it "work" when I bought it. After getting it home, I tore it all apart and did new ramps, rubbers, plastics, LEDs, rebuild flippers, etc. It cleaned up really nice and I am very happy with how it looks and plays now.

The one problem I found that I am still in amazement at was the lift ramp was reporting an error. There was always three clicks of the ramp (one of the solenoids firing three times and then stopping). My first thought was a weak solenoid or perhaps it was mechanically stuck. The ramp worked absolutely fine in solenoid test though. Then I am thinking it has to be the switch but it was making and breaking fine as well and looked solid mechanically. I checked the diode(s), etc. Really a stumper. Then in doing the switch level test I realized that the ramp was reporting down when it was up and vise versa. So I looked really closely at the switch and compared it to the picture of the assembly in the manual and realized that the switch was the wrong type and the actuator was making and breaking opposite of what it should be. The switch looked like it had been there from day one and in no way was bent or formed wrong (just not the right actuator). I am pretty darn sure that the owner never worked on this pin. I can't believe that this family played the game for 20 years and never realized that there was a problem. Part of me would love to call the seller back and ask him about it (won't do that though).

I have not played Whirlwind a lot in the past and am really enjoying it now. Pure FUN!!

Pic of the old switch:

IMG_0376 (resized).jpgIMG_0376 (resized).jpg
#3284 4 years ago

Mine should be turning up in the next day or two along with my Tales From The Crypt. Really looking forward to playing them both.

#3285 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Not sure what the green ones specifcally have to do with it?
On normal compass difficulty, for instance, the two red and two yellow lights are lit initially. As soon as you plunge the left inlane red arrow is spotted, every single game. You never need to shoot it for your first lock. I forget what the pattern is for the second lock, but it's the same issue. One of those four arrows is never used, since you always get a plunge off the lock, and it always spots the same arrow. You have to shoot a maximum of 6 arrows to get to multiball, since 2/8 are always spotted of the initial plunge and first lock plunge. If you drain at all during that period, you have to shoot even less of them.

If you drain with one arrow left it will spot that one, and you will have to shoot all four for the next lock.

#3286 4 years ago
Quoted from not4tilts:

I picked up a Whirlwind about a month ago from a guy that said he had it for 20 years. He said his family had grown up with it and loved it all those years. He said it originally came from an old guy that routed pins. The pin was extremely dirty, dried out (cracked) rubbers and probably the original balls (luckily no battery damage). He admitted that he didn't know the first thing about working on pins and was super happy that "it has always worked". Although, the display was out and I couldn't see it "work" when I bought it. After getting it home, I tore it all apart and did new ramps, rubbers, plastics, LEDs, rebuild flippers, etc. It cleaned up really nice and I am very happy with how it looks and plays now.
The one problem I found that I am still in amazement at was the lift ramp was reporting an error. There was always three clicks of the ramp (one of the solenoids firing three times and then stopping). My first thought was a weak solenoid or perhaps it was mechanically stuck. The ramp worked absolutely fine in solenoid test though. Then I am thinking it has to be the switch but it was making and breaking fine as well and looked solid mechanically. I checked the diode(s), etc. Really a stumper. Then in doing the switch level test I realized that the ramp was reporting down when it was up and vise versa. So I looked really closely at the switch and compared it to the picture of the assembly in the manual and realized that the switch was the wrong type and the actuator was making and breaking opposite of what it should be. The switch looked like it had been there from day one and in no way was bent or formed wrong (just not the right actuator). I am pretty darn sure that the owner never worked on this pin. I can't believe that this family played the game for 20 years and never realized that there was a problem. Part of me would love to call the seller back and ask him about it (won't do that though).
I have not played Whirlwind a lot in the past and am really enjoying it now. Pure FUN!!
Pic of the old switch:[quoted image]

I just had this same issue. It was annoying bc it wouldn't happen all the time. But when it happened, it would click a few times. The clicking was the little solenoid relay coil.

I corrected it by fiddling/bending the little actuator arm on the lift ramp switch. Problem went away.

I can't remember whether I had to bend it up or down, but that's where the issue is.

#3287 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I just had this same issue. It was annoying bc it wouldn't happen all the time. But when it happened, it would click a few times. The clicking was the little solenoid relay coil.
I corrected it by fiddling/bending the little actuator arm on the lift ramp switch. Problem went away.
I can't remember whether I had to bend it up or down, but that's where the issue is.

Interesting, mine occasional clicks like that and I have gotten the ramp error a couple times. I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

#3288 4 years ago

On mine - it wasn't just an adjustment - it was never going to read correctly. I couldn't have even bent the switch arm to perform correctly. The game will try three times though and give up. So if the ramp is down and the system thinks it is up but wants it down - it will hit the solenoid three times to lower it.

#3289 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

My right ramp is really hard to hit, and even harder to repeat, so hitting that right inlane is probably one of the hardest arrows, besides the two green ones.

That’s fundamentally the problem. While it might be nice to be able to disable the arrow spotting, the game rules also mitigate the impact of spotting by always awarding the easiest lit arrow. That’s supposed to be the left inlane.

I understand you want and like your machine set up really hard, but if the main (right) ramp is so hard that the lower red arrow isn’t the easiest of the eight arrows to hit, you have your machine set up wrong. Or at least contrary to design intent. That’s literally the one arrow I never notice being spotted.

A good player should be able to hit the main ramp over and over again; that’s why the (admittedly underwhelming) bonus is based entirely on ramp shots. Bonus, quick multiball (and other target awards), and two extra balls at default settings, all from the main ramp. Don’t shut it down, dude, you’re missing half the game! (Okay, maybe ten percent.)

If you absolutely need the extra steepness (what angle?), and a full plunger pull currently makes a complete loop nearly every time, you might want to try stronger flipper coils.

#3290 4 years ago
Quoted from smsteve:

That’s fundamentally the problem. While it might be nice to be able to disable the arrow spotting, the game rules also mitigate the impact of spotting by always awarding the easiest lit arrow. That’s supposed to be the left inlane.
I understand you want and like your machine set up really hard, but if the main (right) ramp is so hard that the lower red arrow isn’t the easiest of the eight arrows to hit, you have your machine set up wrong. Or at least contrary to design intent. That’s literally the one arrow I never notice being spotted.
A good player should be able to hit the main ramp over and over again; that’s why the (admittedly underwhelming) bonus is based entirely on ramp shots. Bonus, quick multiball (and other target awards), and two extra balls at default settings, all from the main ramp. Don’t shut it down, dude, you’re missing half the game! (Okay, maybe ten percent.)
If you absolutely need the extra steepness (what angle?), and a full plunger pull currently makes a complete loop nearly every time, you might want to try stronger flipper coils.

How is a arrow that requires a ramp shot harder than a yellow target like 8 inches away from the flipper? No way you're missing that. Even the other standup are all easier to hit than the ramp. Closer, and a wider area to hit. Ramp is probably third hardest after the green ones.

Ramp difficulty has nothing to do with the steepness, it's just hard to get it on the left flipper and make the shot. My game tends to end up on the right flipper a lot for some reason, and you can't post pass. There's a slight flipper hop I haven't managed to get rid of that makes repeating it difficult, plus it flashes all the GI right when I need to flip.

#3291 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

How is a arrow that requires a ramp shot harder than a yellow target like 8 inches away from the flipper? No way you're missing that. Even the other standup are all easier to hit than the ramp. Closer, and a wider area to hit. Ramp is probably third hardest after the green ones.
Ramp difficulty has nothing to do with the steepness, it's just hard to get it on the left flipper and make the shot. My game tends to end up on the right flipper a lot for some reason, and you can't post pass. There's a slight flipper hop I haven't managed to get rid of that makes repeating it difficult, plus it flashes all the GI right when I need to flip.

Right ramp should be easy. None of the other arrows with stand ups should be “hard” to hit, they just have risky returns. Especially the nw by the cellar and se to the right. A lot of people just make left ramp shots to bypass those arrows.

#3292 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I can see this is going to be a challenge. I’m game, or I wouldn’t be posting.

As orangegxs observed, my use of the term “easiest” may not be precisely literal. Perhaps you should think instead in terms of the most frequently hit arrow targets, or the most frequently hit arrows in successful games. Or maybe you’re confusing “hunting arrows” (which you profess to be your favorite part of the game) with “flailing away”, which you previously suggested is the way you actually get arrows. No offense intended. I’m just saying ...

Quoted from zacaj:

Ramp difficulty has nothing to do with the steepness, it's just hard to get it on the left flipper and make the shot. My game tends to end up on the right flipper a lot for some reason, and you can't post pass. There's a slight flipper hop I haven't managed to get rid of that makes repeating it difficult ...

Aha! Then instead of fixing the coil strength problem which I hypothesized, you should fix the “flipper hop” problem you were already aware of. Hard is great, but fucked up sucks. You will obviously enjoy the machine more once you fix the known problems. Repeating: right ramp should be easy.

#3293 4 years ago
Quoted from smsteve:

I can see this is going to be a challenge. I’m game, or I wouldn’t be posting.
As orangegxs observed, my use of the term “easiest” may not be precisely literal. Perhaps you should think instead in terms of the most frequently hit arrow targets, or the most frequently hit arrows in successful games. Or maybe you’re confusing “hunting arrows” (which you profess to be your favorite part of the game) with “flailing away”, which you previously suggested is the way you actually get arrows. No offense intended. I’m just saying ...

Aha! Then instead of fixing the coil strength problem which I hypothesized, you should fix the “flipper hop” problem you were already aware of. Hard is great, but fucked up sucks. You will obviously enjoy the machine more once you fix the known problems. Repeating: right ramp should be easy.

I already have new cliffy enhanced inlane guides, still can't get it quite right, but am working on it. I can never hit repeated ramps more then 2-3 times even on other games though, so it doesn't concern me that much. I probably have only a 20% success rate on hitting the ramp from a cradle though.

#3294 4 years ago

I suck at pinball and I’m at 40%+ to hit ramp from left flipper cradle for sure.
The kickout from left scoop I can get it to stay in left flipper with a bit of fenaggling.

#3295 4 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

I suck at pinball and I’m at 40%+ to hit ramp from left flipper cradle for sure.
The kickout from left scoop I can get it to stay in left flipper with a bit of fenaggling.

I've made A finals at pinburgh before, but accuracy was not how I got there. Mine is almost impossible to catch on the left unless you do a perfect live catch. Otherwise it goes into the outlane or to the right flipper

#3296 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I've made A finals at pinburgh before, but accuracy was not how I got there. Mine is almost impossible to catch on the left unless you do a perfect live catch. Otherwise it goes into the outlane or to the right flipper

All the WWs I have played are different. Some characteristics make them easier and some harder. Mine has a slight hop on the left flipper. Have paid off the skyway a ton of times with 99+ though.

Most of them you can catch the ball on the left flipper out of the cellar though. Mine is about 80%, If not it’s a slight nudge and catch on the right.

For me honestly the SE arrow through the pops is the hardest shot in the game.

Also I have a cliffy on my left ramp. I did not think it was that hard to hit, but played a WW at an arcade and just crushed jackpots over and over.

#3297 4 years ago

Whats the rubber placement on these posts by the drop target.....sizes if available??? Cant find a good chart anywhere.

60714372-B00C-41E9-AACF-F055499F125B (resized).jpeg60714372-B00C-41E9-AACF-F055499F125B (resized).jpeg
#3298 4 years ago

I just did a shop job on my new (old) Whirlwind and I found those two were 1.25" and 1.5". Here is a before picture

IMG_0326 (resized).jpgIMG_0326 (resized).jpg
#3299 4 years ago
Quoted from not4tilts:

I just did a shop job on my new (old) Whirlwind and I found those two were 1.25" and 1.5". Here is a before picture [quoted image]

Thank ya sir!!!

#3300 4 years ago

Subscribing.

Played my first game'o'whirlwind many years ago in a bar in France where they had 2 new machines. A Funhouse and a Whirlwind on which me and my wife played quite a few games. Guess who owns both of those machines now and will never get rid of them.

I always loved both machines, Funhouse is more beautiful, complex and appealing but I play Whirlwind a whole lot more. At the time I played this machine for the first time I was blown away (you see what I did there ) by the spinning disks and I never stopped loving it. What a great game to play.
Nowadays Whirlwind is pushed to the background somewhat by all those great new pins we are presented with allthough I always love to get up to my WW to play a decent Williams game. Fast, easy, satisfying.

I once owned an Earthshaker too, next to FH en WW this is a great combo. See Chris Bucci's youtube video on the Earthshaker and see what I mean. Unfortunately I got rid of it and have regretted it ever since. Maybe once I will own it again, it's back on my wishlist.

WW is next in line to be fully restored. Bought it several years ago for a good price (€550,- which is like $600 I guess), is in decent shape and is playing like a charm untill now. The optical condition is fair, but got a lot of dirt, plastics are broking, ramps are bad. All those parts are purchased new and are waiting for the complete overhaul. I will start on this project very soon and am looking forward to it.

ww (resized).jpgww (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,441 posts in this topic. You are on page 66 of 109.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-club-members-only/page/66 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.