17120147714183511058491698968279 (resized).jpg
17120147133684342295711183751853 (resized).jpg
17120146816654026590663874873131 (resized).jpg
1711971576349821576825836127955.jpg
17119715507093168227299707841971.jpg
20240127_165338 (resized).jpg
20240127_165404 (resized).jpg
20240328_180122.jpg
There are 5,441 posts in this topic. You are on page 65 of 109.
#3201 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Putting my playfield back together... My Marco rubber kit came with a bunch of black tube runners and one yellow tube. Don't see it anywhere on the diagram. Anyone know where it's supposed to go?

What's a "tube runner"?

#3202 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

What's a "tube runner"?

Sorry, tube rubber.

15733244153551308123892040171864 (resized).jpg15733244153551308123892040171864 (resized).jpg
#3203 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Sorry, tube rubber.[quoted image]

Aahh.... Post sleeves!

#3204 4 years ago

They go here.....
IMG_20191109_134358312 (resized).jpgIMG_20191109_134358312 (resized).jpgIMG_20191109_134405614 (resized).jpgIMG_20191109_134405614 (resized).jpg

#3205 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Aahh.... Post sleeves!

That's the word! I was blanking...

So yellow goes to the left of the center standup? The one in the kit isn't a thick one like yours though, it's the same size as the black ones.

Has anyone had ball hangups or anything with a regular sized post sleeve there vs a thick one? I also see in some pictures it's a tapered rubber. Maybe the manual is wrong?

#3206 4 years ago

I think my original was a white tapered rubber, this one came in a new kit. I don't really know what the purpose is.

#3207 4 years ago

Sorry, wrong topic.

#3208 4 years ago

Mine are all normal. No issues.

#3209 4 years ago

Tapered rubber goes here ….

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3210 4 years ago
Quoted from Mageek:

Tapered rubber goes here ….[quoted image]

I've never seen a machine with that one installed. It's not in the manual.

#3211 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

I've never seen a machine with that one installed. It's not in the manual.

It's in the game flyer:

#3212 4 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

It's in the game flyer:
[quoted image]

You win... I'm switching mine out tonight.

#3213 4 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

It's in the game flyer:
[quoted image]

Oh wow. Interesting. I wonder why it didn't make the manual or many of the machines that i've played on.

#3214 4 years ago

The one I restored recently had it so I replaced it with like. What it does do is narrow the escape route from the bumpers and keeps it in them longer, maybe they removed it because of that.

#3215 4 years ago

My new Whirlwind is on it's way to me now. Pretty excited about it. Pics in a week or so.

#3216 4 years ago

I'm sure I'm not the first to have this happen, but this is a first for me, in 20 years of owning pins.

I was in the middle of a good game, and clunk!

20191110_155206 (resized).jpg20191110_155206 (resized).jpg
#3217 4 years ago

Yikes! Stop hitting the ball so hard.

#3218 4 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I'm sure I'm not the first to have this happen, but this is a first for me, in 20 years of owning pins.
I was in the middle of a good game, and clunk![quoted image]

OMG, same post broke off of mine a few months ago. I had never heard of that happening!

#3219 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

OMG, same post broke off of mine a few months ago. I had never heard of that happening!

Williams quality has gone to crap! Damn thing didn't even last 30 years.

#3220 4 years ago

Do you find that the Pinbits PETG plastic protectors over the standup targets to the left and right of the ramp are sturdy enough? I just installed them and it seems like these thin pieces sticking out will get snapped eventually.

#3221 4 years ago

Finally got my whirlwind to play a game. One thing I noticed is that I'm getting awarded the left inlane towards my lock whenever I hit the first switch of the ball? Usually it's the slingshot but I've seen it off the drops and right standup too. Is that normal? Seems weird. Confirmed in switch test that the left inlane isn't registering when I hit those other switches

#3222 4 years ago

Not normal...

#3223 4 years ago

Playing more, it looks like it'll always spot you one arrow per ball the first time you hit something. Could be a sling, could be a target, could be an orbit, etc. I tried changing the compass difficulty but didn't help. The only thing I know of in this game that spots arrows is the side ramp, but that also awards tolls, so I don't think that could be triggering... L3 roms if that matters.

Also there doesn't seem to be a tournament mode?

#3224 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Playing more, it looks like it'll always spot you one arrow per ball the first time you hit something. Could be a sling, could be a target, could be an orbit, etc. I tried changing the compass difficulty but didn't help. The only thing I know of in this game that spots arrows is the side ramp, but that also awards tolls, so I don't think that could be triggering... L3 roms if that matters.
Also there doesn't seem to be a tournament mode?

Normal, every time you plunge a new ball you get a free arrow. Except after you lock a ball

#3225 4 years ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

Normal, every time you plunge a new ball you get a free arrow. Except after you lock a ball

Now I have to go check this...

#3226 4 years ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

Any way to turn it off? Really annoying, and it's always spotting the same one

#3227 4 years ago

check if adjustment 37 affects it

#3228 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

check if adjustment 37 affects it
[quoted image]

Nope. Easy seems to award either set of arrows if you hit one, iirc. Medium has four lit arrows. Hard only lights two at a time, but you have to do two sets.

#3229 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Any way to turn it off? Really annoying, and it's always spotting the same one

Thats just how the game works I guess. Watch the papa tutorial on youtube.

#3230 4 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

It's in the game flyer:
[quoted image]

In this flyer there is a clear starpost with a white rubber to see !
Copy the picture on your computer and zoom in ...
No tapered rubber on WhiWi !

#3231 4 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

In this flyer there is a clear starpost with a white rubber to see !
Copy the picture on your computer and zoom in ...
No tapered rubber on WhiWi !

It's a tapered rubber in that flyer picture. Just to the left of the black post sleeve under the pop bumper. You may be looking too far left. It is a white rubber that flares out towards the top.

#3232 4 years ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

Thats just how the game works I guess. Watch the papa tutorial on youtube.

Working on a rom mod to fix this...

#3233 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Working on a rom mod to fix this...

I guess I don’t understand why it’s a problem?
If you are going to dig into the rom, make the three way combo worth 3 million

#3234 4 years ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

I guess I don’t understand why it’s a problem?
If you are going to dig into the rom, make the three way combo worth 3 million

Because it's making me never need to shoot some of the arrows, which is the main reason I like the game. If it was random I wouldn't mind as much. Also I want to make my games as hard as possible, and this feels like some easy setting that should be able to be turned off.

What's the three way combo?

#3235 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Because it's making me never need to shoot some of the arrows, which is the main reason I like the game. If it was random I wouldn't mind as much. Also I want to make my games as hard as possible, and this feels like some easy setting that should be able to be turned off.

Don’t worry, you’ll shoot all the arrows when you get to the second and third multiball. The first one you get free on the first ball is the left inlane. And it’s an easy shot to the ramp to get on the later multiballs..

Three way combo is orbit through the bumpers, green arrow inner loop, then the side ramp.. hard as hell to do and only gives you 250k

#3236 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I think it's one of the hardest shots out there. I've done it maybe 3 times and each time was a fluke.

#3237 4 years ago

The three way combo is one of the most gratifying things you can do in pinball. I have done it 3 or 4 times, every time scared the shit out of me because I wasn't expecting it.

Should be worth a JACKPOT

#3238 4 years ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

Don’t worry, you’ll shoot all the arrows when you get to the second and third multiball. The first one you get free on the first ball is the left inlane. And it’s an easy shot to the ramp to get on the later multiballs..

Mine is set up so hard I've never gotten two multiballs in one game. If you drain without lighting your first lock, it spots another arrow on ball 2, etc. Some games I'm getting more arrows via the pity spot than via actual play; it's very annoying. My right ramp is really hard to hit, and even harder to repeat, so hitting that right inlane is probably one of the hardest arrows, besides the two green ones. The rest can all be gotten via flailing around

#3239 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Mine is set up so hard I've never gotten two multiballs in one game. If you drain without lighting your first lock, it spots another arrow on ball 2, etc. Some games I'm getting more arrows via the pity spot than via actual play; it's very annoying. My right ramp is really hard to hit, and even harder to repeat, so hitting that right inlane is probably one of the hardest arrows, besides the two green ones. The rest can all be gotten via flailing around

Make it a bit easier then, doesn’t sound fun. The multiballs progressively get harder to get by the arrows and harder to start. The true difficulty in this game for me is managing multiballs and hitting jackpots

#3240 4 years ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

Make it a bit easier then, doesn’t sound fun. The multiballs progressively get harder to get by the arrows and harder to start. The true difficulty in this game for me is managing multiballs and hitting jackpots

Oh it's very fun. Less so though since I don't have to hunt down all the arrows though.

#3241 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Oh it's very fun. Less so though since I don't have to hunt down all the arrows though.

It sounds like it is set up so hard, you can’t even get to the point where you have to hunt down those arrows.

#3242 4 years ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

It sounds like it is set up so hard, you can’t even get to the point where you have to hunt down those arrows.

hunting down the arrows is literally the first thing you do in the game

#3243 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Just so I said it the difficulty on Whirlwind is more tunable than any other pin I've played. There are not one, but two outlane adjustment nuts on each side and they make a huge difference. When I got mine they were all fully closed and my scores were in the 50,000,000 range. After opening mine all the way my scores are in the 20,000,000 range. There is no shame in closing yours up a bit to where the game is fun.

#3244 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

hunting down the arrows is literally the first thing you do in the game

Yes, but you have it so hard you can’t even progress to part where it progressively gets harder to get more arrows... set it to factory outlane width and shut off extra balls. Not being able to even advance through the game sounds lame.

#3245 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Just so I said it the difficulty on Whirlwind is more tunable than any other pin I've played. There are not one, but two outlane adjustment nuts on each side and they make a huge difference. When I got mine they were all fully closed and my scores were in the 50,000,000 range. After opening mine all the way my scores are in the 20,000,000 range. There is no shame in closing yours up a bit to where the game is fun.

Mine are all the way open and I've set the game up super fast, all mechs rebuilt, slings hair trigger, can't catch out of the cellar, removed the foam from the standups so the ball comes flying back at you at high speed, compass difficulty at max, multiball difficulty at max, etc. Current GC is 12 mil, and it's very fun, minus the part where the code doesn't have the adjustments necessary to make the rules as hard as the physical setup is. The spotting of arrows is the one aspect that is lacking any adjustments

Quoted from orangegsx:

Yes, but you have it so hard you can’t even progress to part where it progressively gets harder to get more arrows

Yes, so I'd like to adjust the code so that it's harder to get arrows from the beginning. The game shouldn't be skipping over half of its main gameplay loop. I literally bought this game specifically because I enjoy tracking down and shooting the arrows and then trying to survive the rebounds; if it's spotting arrows that's taking my fun away.

#3246 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Mine are all the way open and I've set the game up super fast, all mechs rebuilt, slings hair trigger, can't catch out of the cellar, removed the foam from the standups so the ball comes flying back at you at high speed, compass difficulty at max, multiball difficulty at max, etc. Current GC is 12 mil, and it's very fun, minus the part where the code doesn't have the adjustments necessary to make the rules as hard as the physical setup is. The spotting of arrows is the one aspect that is lacking any adjustments

Yes, so I'd like to adjust the code so that it's harder to get arrows from the beginning. The game shouldn't be skipping over half of its main gameplay loop. I literally bought this game specifically because I enjoy tracking down and shooting the arrows and then trying to survive the rebounds; if it's spotting arrows that's taking my fun away.

I dunno that’s sounds easy to me anyways lol

#3247 4 years ago

Wow, to each their own.
I would not find that as fun. That's why we can make adjustments I spose. I'm not great at pinball but I still like to be able to hit a bigger number here and there with "some luck" still involved.

#3248 4 years ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

I dunno that’s sounds easy to me anyways lol

Is there something else you'd do to make it harder?

#3249 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Is there something else you'd do to make it harder?

Me personally? No

Put sling mechs in the double rubber area on both sides, swap the wires left and right for the flipper buttons, then stand it up vertical like an ice cold beer lol

#3250 4 years ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

Me personally? No
Put sling mechs in the double rubber area on both sides, swap the wires left and right for the flipper buttons, then stand it up vertical like an ice cold beer lol

Uh huh. Very helpful, thank you for your input.

Quoted from northerndude:

That's why we can make adjustments I spose.

Except in this case you can't. Which is why I'm modding the rom.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
There are 5,441 posts in this topic. You are on page 65 of 109.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-club-members-only/page/65 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.