interconnect (resized).jpg
432465160_7340686755966474_7077397798256967316_n (resized).jpg
432299576_1492584684633536_6555073319600288997_n (resized).jpg
419012874_1173696690673815_6372052315181665429_n (resized).jpg
431730660_376351558550760_580083396770900881_n (resized).jpg
432294325_654003180160497_7724347182910452782_n (resized).jpg
20240316_083458 (resized).jpg
20240316_083458 (resized).jpg

There are 5,409 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 109.
#3151 4 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

Wow, amazing that there are any Lawlor (Williams) games out there with loctite still on the posts... That means your game has NEVER been properly, fully shopped in 30 years?!! Its time for some new T-nuts and posts anyway... Just snap em off!

I'm currently working on an Earthshaker I picked up and practically every post is snapping. It's the first time I've actually run into a game having locktite on the posts.

#3152 4 years ago

Hair drier did the job most of the time, but got scared I was going to damage other stuff on the pf. Soldering iron took about 2 min per post but worked reliably

#3153 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Hair drier did the job most of the time, but got scared I was going to damage other stuff on the pf. Soldering iron took about 2 min per post but worked reliably

No breaks? I remember just the sling posts snapping.

#3154 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

No breaks? I remember just the sling posts snapping.

Broke one in the lower pops when I got to eager thinking it had come free. Another on the one way gate coming out of the lock when I assumed it wouldn't be lock tited. Just normal machine screws though, so not too bad to tap the T nut out from the top and replace. Sling posts didn't seem to be locktited

#3155 4 years ago

Wow. I guess I got Lucky

#3156 4 years ago

Trying to find the other end of these two connectors in the backbox. The violet, white/violet is off the lamp harness.

Does the black/black-yellow go to the speakers?

IMG_20191020_003255 (resized).jpgIMG_20191020_003255 (resized).jpgIMG_20191020_003334 (resized).jpgIMG_20191020_003334 (resized).jpg
#3157 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Broke one in the lower pops when I got to eager thinking it had come free. Another on the one way gate coming out of the lock when I assumed it wouldn't be lock tited. Just normal machine screws though, so not too bad to tap the T nut out from the top and replace. Sling posts didn't seem to be locktited

So you think hair dryer or soldering
Iron?

I recall some of
These posts were hard to
Find.

#3158 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

So you think hair dryer or soldering
Iron?
I recall some of
These posts were hard to
Find.

I definitely had to take off some pops to get easy access. The cramped area makes me prefer the iron

#3159 4 years ago

what are the great mods for this game? thinking art blades, like the flashing fan mod, what else? can a shaker be used? any other add on's ? toy hurricane?

#3160 4 years ago

Anyone have a spare right spinner gear by any chance? Mine seems to have been drilled out to install a carriage bolt :/

#3161 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Anyone have a spare right spinner gear by any chance? Mine seems to have been drilled out to install a carriage bolt :/

Fill it with epoxy or resin, sand it and redrill the right size. I'm guessing these aren't too common.

#3162 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

Fill it with epoxy or resin, sand it and redrill the right size. I'm guessing these aren't too common.

Would probably work, but if I mess up I'm screwed. It at least works right now. If one was available at all, even expensive, it'd make me more comfortable experimenting o mine

#3163 4 years ago

Anyone have a 3d printer? I’ve been thinking a set of clear spinning discs would be neat. Lights underneath that light when the discs spin. A set of decals would have to made that are translucent though.

#3164 4 years ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

Anyone have a 3d printer? I’ve been thinking a set of clear spinning discs would be neat. Lights underneath that light when the discs spin. A set of decals would have to made that are translucent though.

I do. Not sure if it'd be able to print the disc teeth well, but if someone models them I could print and test. Going to try to 3d print a new shaft for more, see if I can make it usable at least...

#3165 4 years ago

Sorry to bump my own post, but I am at a loss here. Anyone run into this before or have any ideas on what to try next?

Quoted from WonderMellon:

I just joined the club last weekend. Have been working through a few items and have most of the resolved.
The disc's were spinning when I picked up the machine, but when I set it up at home they were not working. If I wiggled the PCB under the motor when on coil check 27, it would work. I reflowed the solder to the tabs of the motor and the game worked great for about 24 hours. Now the disks do not spin at all.
In Coil check 27, I get a constant 33volts to the motor on the tab on the right side (when lifting the playfield straight up and looking from the front of the game) The left tab jumps from 33volts, to 0 about every second or 2; which sounds correct to me because the machine is pulsing the motor.
I am getting continuity from the tab to the back of the PCB, so I think the cold solder joints have been corrected.
The resistor is checking out at 11Ohms.
The disks spin easy when moving by hand from the top of the playfield.
Is there any other diagnostics I can or should perform? The motor seemed fine and strong prior to just not working.
Any help is appreciated.

#3166 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

Trying to find the other end of these two connectors in the backbox. The violet, white/violet is off the lamp harness.
Does the black/black-yellow go to the speakers?[quoted image][quoted image]

Yes, the black/black-yellow on the far left in your hand goes to the speaker.

#3167 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSwanson:

Yes, the black/black-yellow on the far left in your hand goes to the speaker.

Thanks. Any idea about the violet - violet/white one? It's right near the 18 pin connector @ j14 on the interconnect board.

#3168 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

Thanks. Any idea about the violet - violet/white one? It's right near the 18 pin connector @ j14 on the interconnect board.

The only violet - violet/white connector I found connects to J2 on what I think is called the back panel lamp board. It's the lamp board just above the ramps at the back of the playfield, and stretches the width of the playfield. The wires go through a hole at the top of the vertical blue board at the back of the playfield. However my connector is a 3 pin IDC, with the middle pin not used.

#3169 4 years ago
Quoted from WonderMellon:

Sorry to bump my own post, but I am at a loss here. Anyone run into this before or have any ideas on what to try next?

Really just sound like something is jarring loose. From moving the pin, to
You wiggling the motor board. Is there a connector running to that board? If so make sure on of the wires isn’t loose from the female molex connector. They always look like they’re pushed into the housing well but a lot of times one isnt pushed in enough

This seems like it’s gotta be something simple.

Double check the setting that turns on/off the disks too. Who knows if something got reset.

#3170 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I do. Not sure if it'd be able to print the disc teeth well, but if someone models them I could print and test. Going to try to 3d print a new shaft for more, see if I can make it usable at least...

I have an SLA printer I could print the teeth on. If someone makes a model I'll give it a shot. I could probably make one but I wouldn't really have the time to do that in the near future.

#3171 4 years ago
Quoted from RonSwanson:

The only violet - violet/white connector I found connects to J2 on what I think is called the back panel lamp board. It's the lamp board just above the ramps at the back of the playfield, and stretches the width of the playfield. The wires go through a hole at the top of the vertical blue board at the back of the playfield. However my connector is a 3 pin IDC, with the middle pin not used.

I found a connector hanging in the pile of wires. Thanks for your help!

I just threw the fuses in and turned it on for the first time since starting the rebuild. Other than hooking up the speakers, it's just debugging a few troubling lamp sockets.

IMG_20191021_135848 (resized).jpgIMG_20191021_135848 (resized).jpg

#3172 4 years ago

Looks awesome Yak.

I owned a ww years back and sold it. I've since repurchased one on a whim.

Really don't think I fully appreciated it the first time I owned it. Never even realized the tolls and cellar visits accumulated ball to ball. Also that ball locks trigger the bonus multiplier.

Debating asking Tdiddy to do some touchup and clear on it.

#3173 4 years ago

Thanks!

The ruleset is pretty good on the machine given the era. I keep trying to remember what triggers what. The cellar trigger the ramp up/down. Lane triggers timed cellar light. Left ramp resets cellar light. Left ramp spots a compass direction. Each center standup hit increments one of the jets; off -> on -> flash.

#3174 4 years ago

Figured since I was printing a new top for my disc to attempt to hold it down, I might as well give it some grip

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3175 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Figured since I was printing a new top for my disc to attempt to hold it down, I might as well give it some grip [quoted image]

I would cross-hatch it if possible. Grooves going only one way might have a tendency to cause ball hangs, or at least more substantial grab and throws.

#3176 4 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

I would cross-hatch it if possible. Grooves going only one way might have a tendency to cause ball hangs, or at least more substantial grab and throws.

Hmm, interesting thought. I did this because that's how Fireball's disc is shaped. Not sure why they did it that way now that you mention it

#3177 4 years ago

You'll need to use a much smaller cross hatch on there. I'm working on some extra grippy discs if you want to make a flat surface.

#3178 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

You'll need to use a much smaller cross hatch on there. I'm working on some extra grippy discs if you want to make a flat surface.

I'm not sure how much smaller the printer will be able to do. I think Fireball's is even bigger than this. Wouldn't a smaller one give less grip?

#3179 4 years ago

man, those grooves are gonna fling that ball everywhere!

#3180 4 years ago

I'm not playing mine at this second... but don't the disks always rotate in the same direction? If so, wouldn't you only want the grooves to go one way?

#3181 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I'm not playing mine at this second... but don't the disks always rotate in the same direction? If so, wouldn't you only want the grooves to go one way?

What do you mean one way? Like a radial pattern? or

#3182 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

What do you mean one way? Like a radial pattern? or

Look at the fan at the top of the game. It always spins in the same direction in order to push air toward you. If a disc always spun clockwise, you would want there to be spiral groves to grab it going in the same direction they are on a standard screw. If the grooves didn't match the direction it would not spin nearly as well.

#3183 4 years ago

the discs are geared off of each other. The outer ones spin the opposite direction of the middle one.

#3184 4 years ago

Look at the fan at the top of the game. It always spins in the same direction in order to push air toward you. If a disc always spun clockwise, you would want there to be spiral groves to grab it going in the same direction they are on a standard screw. If the grooves didn't match the direction it would not spin nearly as well.

A fan makes air blow forward, not sideways though? Why would a spiral work better than straight radial lines?

#3185 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

A fan makes air blow forward, not sideways though? Why would a spiral work better than straight radial lines?

Okay... I'm having a hard time expressing myself. All that I mean is that if you had your grooves designed in a pattern something like this, it would be a lot more effective if the particular disk it was on was spinning in a clockwise direction as viewed by the player.

baddrawing (resized).pngbaddrawing (resized).png
#3186 4 years ago

Before and after. Magnetically slapped on top.

20191023_171808 (resized).jpg20191023_171808 (resized).jpg20191023_172036 (resized).jpg20191023_172036 (resized).jpg
#3187 4 years ago

Okay... I'm having a hard time expressing myself. All that I mean is that if you had your grooves designed in a pattern something like this, it would be a lot more effective if the particular disk it was on was spinning in a clockwise direction as viewed by the player.[quoted image]

Just avoid hidden swastikas.

#3188 4 years ago

Okay... I'm having a hard time expressing myself. All that I mean is that if you had your grooves designed in a pattern something like this, it would be a lot more effective if the particular disk it was on was spinning in a clockwise direction as viewed by the player.[quoted image]

I guess I wasn't either... When I talked about radial I meant like this:pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
(also I'm really bad at paint)
I think that would do the same type of thing as your quartered design? They definitely seem to make more sense than straight lines; it really makes me wonder what the reasoning was on fireball

#3189 4 years ago

The three left lightning flashers aren't working on my machine.

From the diagrams i can see that this is coming from Q1 and Q2

I changed out Q1 and Q2 but i'm still not getting a connection from pin 6 to pin 7 on J4. I have full continuity in the wires and I have checked that i can power the bulbs on the lightning board from the jumper on there. So that leaves an issue on the Sound overlay solenoid board. All of the other connections from the board are working.

Could anyone point out a next step in testing?

#3190 4 years ago
#3191 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

I changed out Q1 and Q2 but i'm still not getting a connection from pin 6 to pin 7 on J4.

You never will. Pin 7 should be @70 volts all the time. Pin 6 should be ground when active.

Quoted from yaksplat:

Could anyone point out a next step in testing?

Connect a logic probe and place game in solenoid test for this solenoid and test the base of Q-3 for pulses.

#3192 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:You never will. Pin 7 should be @70 volts all the time. Pin 6 should be ground when active.

Yes, sorry, that's actually what i meant.

Quoted from GRUMPY:

Connect a logic probe and place game in solenoid test for this solenoid and test the base of Q-3 for pulses.

Logic probe ordered and arriving on saturday.

#3193 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

You never will. Pin 7 should be @70 volts all the time. Pin 6 should be ground when active.

Found my problem. The 4ohm 5W resistor has an internal break in it. No connection across it.

Damn those infinite resistance connections.

#3194 4 years ago

HEP or Original HUO?

50C496C7-2073-4722-BEBE-CCE37488C737 (resized).jpeg50C496C7-2073-4722-BEBE-CCE37488C737 (resized).jpeg
#3195 4 years ago

Hi everyone,
I just picked up up a project WW.
I am hoping some generous WW owner could post some good pictures of the "Ball Through Switches".
I am having issues related to the switches and I know mine have been messed with by someone in the past.
I need a good look at how they are supposed to be wired correctly.

Thanks

20191024_151617 (resized).jpg20191024_151617 (resized).jpg
#3196 4 years ago

I took a lot of photos on my project, might find what you need there:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Tar7MyWSHoPXIImR2

#3197 4 years ago
Quoted from pencilneck:

I took a lot of photos on my project, might find what you need there:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Tar7MyWSHoPXIImR2

You are my hero! Those pictures saved me a lot of goofing around. Thank you! As I suspected, whoever did surgery on the "ball through switches" hosed them up. I was able to put it right and solve a bunch of issues.

By the way, your project looked awesome. Probably deeper than I will be going but one never knows.

#3198 4 years ago

Anyone encountered issues with their upper right eject (under the ramp) binding? Reassembling mine after cleaning (so it's possible I put it together wrong or something), and the coil seems to not be aligned with the plunger. Would need to move the coil bracket 1/4" up the playfield to get it smooth...

#3199 4 years ago
Quoted from tomm1963:

Probably deeper than I will be going but one never knows

It doesn't happen until it does. Everyone has been there.

1 week later
#3200 4 years ago

Putting my playfield back together... My Marco rubber kit came with a bunch of black tube runners and one yellow tube. Don't see it anywhere on the diagram. Anyone know where it's supposed to go?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
There are 5,409 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 109.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-club-members-only/page/64?hl=manimal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.