17120147714183511058491698968279 (resized).jpg
17120147133684342295711183751853 (resized).jpg
17120146816654026590663874873131 (resized).jpg
1711971576349821576825836127955.jpg
17119715507093168227299707841971.jpg
20240127_165338 (resized).jpg
20240127_165404 (resized).jpg
20240328_180122.jpg
There are 5,441 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 109.
#201 10 years ago
Quoted from swenny:

Quick Q for other WW owners. Does the ball come out of the cellar on your game at a consistent speed? Mine seems to be all over the place. Sometimes when it ejects it comes flying straight down towards the flipper. Other times it kind of dribbles out, hits the top of the triangular bumper below it and then takes a funny angle to the drain hole. It's definitely not consistent.
Is the game supposed to be that way, or is the solenoid weak and in need of repair? I've never played another WW before to know if they're all that way or not.
Thanks,
Swenny

Mine varies a bit, and I consider it to be normal. I replaced the coil and coil sleeve, adjusted the angle of the assembly, etc. I did eventually find a good spot that generally delivers the ball where I want it. It just takes some tweaking. If it is just dribbling out of the scoop, you might want to inspect the assembly, coil sleeve, and the scoop itself. If the scoop weld is broken, it could cause some issues with ejects.

#202 10 years ago

Double post.

#203 10 years ago

I did a good cleaning on my ww Christmas Eve.
I had not cleaned it for over a month. I know, I've been really busy with work, family etc. any way, it's playing faster than ever and looks great. I am never selling it.
Even if it is my only game I ever have.

#204 10 years ago
Quoted from swenny:

Quick Q for other WW owners. Does the ball come out of the cellar on your game at a consistent speed? Mine seems to be all over the place. Sometimes when it ejects it comes flying straight down towards the flipper. Other times it kind of dribbles out, hits the top of the triangular bumper below it and then takes a funny angle to the drain hole. It's definitely not consistent.
Is the game supposed to be that way, or is the solenoid weak and in need of repair? I've never played another WW before to know if they're all that way or not.
Thanks,
Swenny

Mostly same for me.
-mof

#205 10 years ago
Quoted from swenny:

Thanks,
Swenny

I've had the same issue. I've read it's somewhat common.

#206 10 years ago
Quoted from swenny:

Thanks,
Swenny

When I first got mine, I had this problem. I replaced the coil sleeve, return spring, buffed the plunger, cleaned the passage, and made sure everything was mounted nice and tight. I've had zero issues since then, unless 2 balls are down there.

#207 10 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

When I first got mine, I had this problem. I replaced the coil sleeve, return spring, buffed the plunger, cleaned the passage, and made sure everything was mounted nice and tight. I've had zero issues since then, unless 2 balls are down there.

I did the exact same.
No problems since.

#208 10 years ago
Quoted from swenny:

Quick Q for other WW owners. Does the ball come out of the cellar on your game at a consistent speed?

Mine is consistent with very little variety. Sounds like your plunger could be binding in your coil sleeve.

EDIT: oops saw was on page 4 of 5 didn't realize there had already been so many answers

#209 10 years ago

Has anyone else noticed there are a lot of whirlwind games for sale? There have been several here lately and currently there are 3 near me for sale. The ones near me they want too much for so they are going to sit for a while.
The people who are selling are most likely going to miss them when they are gone.

#210 10 years ago

the old ass kicker. that's what my dad is calling whirlwind now. after the good cleaning she seems to be playing faster and meaner than ever.

1 week later
#211 10 years ago

Here's my January entry...now get out!! Seriously, I hit the mega door bonus twice and couldn't hit the left ramp for crap!

IMAG0972.jpgIMAG0972.jpg
#212 10 years ago

That's a pretty good score.I've been trying to hit that twice and have not been successful.

#213 10 years ago

Just got mine working again. It's almost time to shop it out and clean it up

#214 10 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

That's a pretty good score.I've been trying to hit that twice and have not been successful.

WW is such a brutal game. It destroys me quite often. That game I was focusing mostly on ball control. There are a few key shots when getting high scores on whirlwind.
-Make the cellar door from either flipper on command. I am very good at making this shot. Every time it lit I nailed it. (ie. The right inlane)
-Hitting the right ramp (or under) consistently from both flippers. I was dialed in on this too.
-Usually (lol) the left ramp. I was NOT dialed into that shot that game. I think I hit it once during multiball.

#215 10 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

the left ramp. I was NOT dialed into that shot that game. I think I hit it once during multiball.

Not a bad score for only one multiball jackpot!

Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#216 10 years ago

Apologies to WOZ people for "stealing" one of their toys but I couldn't resist grabbing one of Tim Mezel's twistnados for my WW. Trying out the lower bumper location for now - I'll try to get it lit up sooner or later.

IMG_0007.jpgIMG_0007.jpg
IMG_0009.jpgIMG_0009.jpg

#217 10 years ago
Quoted from hootowls:

Apologies to WOZ people for "stealing" one of their toys but I couldn't resist grabbing one of Tim Mezel's twistnados for my WW. Trying out the lower bumper location for now - I'll try to get it lit up sooner or later.

IMG_0009.jpg 243 KB

IMG_0007.jpg 194 KB

awesome! very cool mod.

2 weeks later
#218 10 years ago

Some parts from Pinball Life came today that let me do a repair of something that had taken me quite a while to realize it was even a problem. One of those things that maybe you know isn't right but it takes a long time to get to the point where you really see it for what it is - for it to really register in your brain.

After switching over to LED I had some problems with a few 555 lamps in a couple of locations. Lamps not always lighting and others full on when they're not supposed to be. Slowly realized that they were all the lamps in switch matrix column #2 - the top drop target lane and the two outlanes.

The matrix says column #2 is transistor Q64 and, sure enough, the DMM says Q64 is bad.

Purchased a handful of TIP42 transistors for this order, just in case. R&R of Q64 and - sweet success - everything works properly! Finally, something that fixes the first time and doesn't make me hunt for it.

I hope those LEDs didn't get it too bad though. I understand that the failed transistor was probably letting through a lot more voltage than what they were looking for.

While I had the MPU out I also replaced all three of the diagnostic LEDs. Somebody had broken the two closest to the battery holder - not sure how that happened but it probably had something to do with those damn batteries. The ones I used have a clear lens (red emitter) so I did all three to keep them looking the same.

Still have things to work on but today was a good repair day.

#219 10 years ago

Project Spotlight. Added spots to light up the center corridor as I like low ambient light for playing, which kind of makes it hard to track the ball sometimes. Not anymore!

IMG_0009.jpgIMG_0009.jpg

#220 10 years ago

Now I can join the club, I like WW better than my Funhouse so far.. My right sling shot is cracked if anyone has an extra I'll take. Just PM me..Thanks!

#221 10 years ago

I don't know about you, but my WW is consistently kicking my sorry a$$. I have very short ball times, and outlanes are not even wide-open... just in the medium position...
Every missed shot is a potential disaster. This game is highly frustrating but helps you play better - you need to be in control! My best score is 18 millions with no extra balls allowed.

#222 10 years ago

I've often though ww is better than fh. I also think the same about taxi being better too. Just couldn't get into fh.

#223 10 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I've often though ww is better than fh. I also think the same about taxi being better too. Just couldn't get into fh.

Yeah Taxi is a great game too and for the money you can't beat it.. Just pure fun!

#224 10 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Quoted from Choggard:

Yeah Taxi is a great game too and for the money you can't beat it.. Just pure fun!

Funhouse / Whirlwind / Taxi was my lineup a few years ago. I wish I still had them all!

I would rate them

1. Whirlwind (Quite a bit ahead of the other two)
2. Funhouse (Just a tick above Taxi for the crazy talking head because I am weird like that)
3. Taxi (GREAT playing game when shopped out. SO FAST back at ya if you brick a shot..)

2011-05-13_23-07-43_585.jpg2011-05-13_23-07-43_585.jpg

#225 10 years ago
Quoted from shanetastic:

Funhouse / Whirlwind / Taxi was my lineup a few years ago. I wish I still had them all!
I would rate them
1. Whirlwind (Quite a bit ahead of the other two)
2. Funhouse (Just a tick above Taxi for the crazy talking head because I am weird like that)
3. Taxi (GREAT playing game when shopped out. SO FAST back at ya if you brick a shot..)

Yeah I agree WW is just a step above FH and Taxi. Last week I had all three of these pins now my Taxi is gone and I am looking for a replacement for it. I think my next pinball will be a STTNG or WCS..

2011-05-13_23-07-43_585.jpg 206 KB

#226 10 years ago
Quoted from Choggard:

Yeah I agree WW is just a step above FH and Taxi. Last week I had all three of these pins now my Taxi is gone and I am looking for a replacement for it. I think my next pinball will be a STTNG or WCS..

I really like WCS. Very neat layout. I haven't been able to get into STTNG quite yet. I would like to own one day, get it dialed in, and put some serious gameplay time into it. So many seem to love that pin.

#227 10 years ago

I just scored my 2nd ever 20 million game.
Me and my dad were having our nightly game together.
Playing on a 3 ball game.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#228 10 years ago

Kudos, Mrgone!

#229 10 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

I just scored my 2nd ever 20 million game.
Me and my dad were having our nightly game together.
Playing on a 3 ball game.

image.jpg 187 KB

Every now and then mine has to remind me who's boss by giving me about a million point game. Whirlwind is not easy.

#230 10 years ago

Just stumbled across this thread - boy am I missing my WW!! It's been dismantled since April when I sent my DP PF to HEP. Hopefully I'll be getting it back the next few months...I can hardly wait!

Unfortunately, I had to sideline the rest of the restoration as I got side tracked by a move in August but I've finally gotten to a point where I can resume working on it again and have been working on the mechs, cabinet and such over the last few days. In doing so, I have a few question I'm hoping you might know the answers to. Here they are:

1) I'm sending all the pf posts and such out for nickel plating and was wondering was plating I should have done on the trough pieces, lift bar, switch box, etc? Those piece look to be galvanized but I don't know for sure and I don't know anyone that does galvanized plating. I would like to keep it as original as possible. Do you think zinc plating would work?

2) I picked up a couple of ball gate flaps from Marco to replace my badly rusted and pitted ones but their replacements are bare metal. Do you know what finish or plating was used to make them that blackish, bluish color? I was going to try some gun blue bit figured I'd check here first.

3) Does anyone have a source for black oxide plating/finishing? I'd like to re-do the back box bolts (and maybe the ball gate flaps?) but don't want to lay out the $70 for Caswell's smallest blackening kit.

Thanks,
Ian

#231 10 years ago
Quoted from mac622:

2) I picked up a couple of ball gate flaps from Marco to replace my badly rusted and pitted ones but their replacements are bare metal. Do you know what finish or plating was used to make them that blackish, bluish color? I was going to try some gun blue bit figured I'd check here first.
3) Does anyone have a source for black oxide plating/finishing? I'd like to re-do the back box bolts (and maybe the ball gate flaps?) but don't want to lay out the $70 for Caswell's smallest blackening kit.

Suggestions (not from experience):

Gun Bluing - http://www.pinrestore.com/Supplies.html

Metal Blackening - http://www.eastwood.com/metal-blackening-system-set.html

#232 10 years ago

Thanks for the link to the Eastwood kit. I may give that a shot since its about half the cost of a Caswell kit and would probably deliver the results I'm looking for.

On an unrelated topic, can you tell me what size screws are used for your inlane guides? When I was tearing down my pf I noticed that 2 of the 3 screws on each side were #6 and the other was a #8. On my other pins they have always been the same size for all 3 so I'm wondering if they changed this for WW or if it was a hack done by a previous user? Both #8 screws also had a #8 t-nut so it wasn't as though someone was compensating for a stripped t-nut by jamming a #8 in there.

Thanks!

#233 10 years ago
Quoted from mac622:

On an unrelated topic, can you tell me what size screws are used for your inlane guides?

Mine are all #6 as are the three in the ball lock lane.

#234 10 years ago
Quoted from hootowls:

Mine are all #6 as are the three in the ball lock lane.

Same here. You could always tap out the bigger t-nuts and hammer in smaller.

#235 10 years ago

I'm joining the club in two weeks! can't wait!!

#236 10 years ago

I joined last week. Has been on my 'list' for 2 years, finally snagged.

#237 10 years ago

i want to snag a good one! close

#238 10 years ago

Patiently waiting for CPR to finish their list for this playfield so I can finally finish my restore... My first pin and the reason for my collection

2 weeks later
#239 10 years ago

Funny reading posts about how many WW's are for sale at the moment. Over here in the UK I reckon once maybe twice a year one becomes available . Well in the public forum anyway.

Here's my February score. It's my best ever WW score. But I am poo

image.jpgimage.jpg

1 week later
#240 10 years ago

I picked up my first pinball last week. A Whirlwind that is in pretty good condition. I want to make a few touch ups to the paint. Does anyone have a current paint mixture that I could use to match my paint as close as possible? Please be as detailed as possible. Thanks in advance

#241 10 years ago

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-paint-codes

Here's a thread with the paint codes I used. They're a great match for my Pheonix Arcade decals.

2 weeks later
#242 10 years ago

I finally made it into the Whirlwind club! Been needing one to go with my ES for a while and scored a clear-coated one today. Playfield is stellar, cab is a bit rough but hey, you don't play that.
IMG_0009.jpgIMG_0009.jpg

#243 10 years ago

Err.. maybe you guys could help me out? Just picked up my first pin (WW, obviously!) and have been working on a few things. Here is my latest endeavor.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-spinner-off-center

I also have had a problem with the cellar door spitting out at random speeds, mostly very slowly. I read the solution but don't know where to start really - I am five days in and already over my head Anybody want to hold my hand on this one, or is trial by fire where I'm headed?

EDIT:
I dug around at Marco and it looks like I should just pick up:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/AE-26-1500-01
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/10-149

Does that look right? PM me if you have time and patience!

#244 10 years ago

My cellar was spiting out randomly due to the wrong coil sleeve being installed there. IT needs a coil sleeve with a flanged edge. So in other words one like this:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2900

Without the flange, the coil isn't secure, and never hits the ball the same way twice.

#245 10 years ago

hi, can anyone post pics of both slingshot wiring,(mine kick together). also pic of wiring for switch#48 NE standup next to the right ramp. thanks for the help. joe

#246 10 years ago

is there any adjustment besides up and down on the spinning discs? mine don't seem parallel with the playfield all the way around.

#247 10 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

is there any adjustment besides up and down on the spinning discs? mine don't seem parallel with the playfield all the way around.

If up and down doesn't cut it, you could try washers.

#248 10 years ago
Quoted from joe2012:

hi, can anyone post pics of both slingshot wiring,(mine kick together). also pic of wiring for switch#48 NE standup next to the right ramp. thanks for the help. joe

Here's pictures of both slingshots. I'll see if I can find one of switch #48.

John

DSC02177.JPGDSC02177.JPG DSC02168.JPGDSC02168.JPG
#249 10 years ago

Proud WW owner. <--- See my avatar...

Still my favorite pin ever. 2nd in my collection, but it will be the last to leave.

#250 10 years ago

I tell ya, I also own LOTR and Metallica. More often than not, WW is my favorite pin. It is so great on so many levels!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,441 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 109.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-club-members-only/page/5?hl=phesson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.